Message Board Down This Weekend!

Posted by: MadridMan

Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/27/02 07:20 PM

Hi All! The time has come! It's time to move MadridMan.com (and its message board) to a new, HOPEFULLY more reliable web server.

It's VERY possible that the entire MadridMan.com site will be OFFLINE and NOT accessible from Friday night, 6pm Eastern USA time, 3pm west coast USA, midnight Spain mainland time. MadridMan.com COULD be totally down as long as Tuesday or Wednesday next, but hopefully it will more like Monday or Tuesday.

SO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE THIS WEEKEND FOR A CHANGE!! wink When we come back online, I HOPE to ALSO have added a few more features to www.MadridMan.com AND with the BREAKING news of the NEXT "Party With MadridMan in Madrid: Version 4.0".

So please be patient and I'll see you all back here next week! (I hope :o confused )

Saludos, MadridMan smile
Posted by: CathyM

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/27/02 08:24 PM

Oh no, what are we to do? First Fodors has been down all week (I know, not even a good comparison rolleyes ) and now MadridMan.

I guess I'll have to actually read a book, on Spain of course. laugh
Posted by: Nicole

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/27/02 08:30 PM

eek eek eek frown
Do you have any idea what this will do to us?!!! Anchovy Front will probably start smoking again, and I may very well have a nervous breakdown and chew my fingernails down to the quick. I had already planned to go hiking on Sunday, but that only covers a few hours. What will I do with the other 45 hours in the week end?
wink

Can't wait to see the updates... but I will be going through serious withdrawal.

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Nicole ]
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/27/02 09:30 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! eek Say it ain't so!!!

BUT, I guess if it means an new super-powered MadridMan.com, we'll do what we have to do. What is it they say, "No pain, no gain"?

Buene suerte Madridman with the move, as I suspect since we'll all have to be keeping our selves busy in the -gasp-real world, you'll be tied to your computer all weekend!!

Hasta prontito!

GG wink

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/27/02 10:16 PM

Yup. You've got THAT right, GranadaGirl. I'm thinking MY part will be somewhat... ummm.. relatively easy. The HARD part is to allow time for the world's servers to recognize the new location of MadridMan.com on the new host's webserver. This is what takes a few days.

But yes, while I'm waiting, I won't be just sitting around here doing nothing. I'll be working on the new "features" for the website and other necessary things.

And just so you all know, my website's email address, the @madridman.com one, will be DOWN as well. So if anyone NEEDS to get ahold of me, please do so @ madridman@spain.com . Thanks!

And yes, I like CathyM's idea about reading a book this weekend... A BOOK ABOUT SPAIN!! WOO HOO! So get all your replies and postings in NOW, by the EOB (end of business) on Friday at 6pm Eastern USA time.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/27/02 11:54 PM

Hey MM-

I can't wait to see the new features!! OH the intrigue...the suspense...the excitement...what do you guys think he's going to be adding?!?

And about filling the non-MM-site time...I was just given a book by a famous Spanish author, Arturo Perez Reverte, "The Nautical CHart", I guess I'll have time this weekend to read it!! Has anyone heard of it? It's translated into English, so I hope it hasn't 'lost' too much...

Saludos,
GranadaGirl

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/28/02 09:57 AM

This site should be declared as a "public service" by the spanish government, and thus, should comply with the minimum services that every public service have to have smile

Now seriously, I think that our tourism authorities should help this site in some way...

Fernando
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/28/02 03:55 PM

Rumor has it that Madrid Man is actually taking the site down in order to post new wedding pictures of he and his lady friend. Care to elaborate, MM?

Another rumor has it that he will be replacing his aging, yet capable ColecoVision server with a whopping 4MB of memory for a more efficient, contemporary model.

Still a third rumor (all apparently spread by Fodor's) is saying that the international fervor to see MadridMan shirtless eek on his webcam has prompted the governments of both the U.S. and Spain to require a larger, more stable server.

This is for the good of mankind, to ensure stable international governments and fewer runs on food markets (as has happened in a number of developing nations when the MM server goes down).
Posted by: DavidB

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/28/02 06:18 PM

Oh No!!!!!

What am I going to do with my morning at work next week.

I always come to this site first up every morning as I have my first cup of coffee at work (you have to get your priorities in their correct order - coffee, madridman.com, work). If the site is down until Wednesday it won't be until Thursday here in Australia before I get my daily "fix".

Good luck with the changes and lets hope that it will be all for the better.

David

eek frown eek frown

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 02/28/02 07:27 PM

You guys are TOO much!! smile

Sorry CaliBasco, NO wedding photos will be forthcoming because I'm NOT married (who knows if I ever will be for that matter -- but I WANT to!).
Quote:
Still a third rumor (all apparently spread by Fodor's) is saying that the international fervor to see MadridMan shirtless on his webcam has prompted the governments of both the U.S. and Spain to require a larger, more stable server.
Hahahahaa!!! rolleyes Hey, a GOOD salesman KNOWS how to advertise! hehehehe....

Important Notice: There's a CHANCE I'll be taking down the message board in the next 4 hours until next week.. You see, IF I CAN transfer the (thousands of message board) files tonight, before midnight, it will count against my February transfer rate and not my MARCH transfer rate.

Sorry, DavidB and everyone. But believe me, you'll see a very REAL difference in quality and speed. (hopefully for the better!! :o )

So it's POSSIBLE you'll be without the message board ALL day tomorrow (Friday) as well. Sorry!!! frown ALSO, if I make the transfer tonight and change the DNS tonight, they'll have all day tomorrow to get the ball rolling and so it might be back UP by Tuesday if it can go through that fast.. Not sure if these things get processed over the weekend or not. The world's servers MUST RECOGNIZE MADRIDMAN.COM!!! rolleyes Hahahaha... wink

See you all either in the (Friday) morning or...... NEXT WEEK, depending how things go tonight. Have a nice weekend!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 03/04/02 02:59 PM

testing testing 1-2-3 mad

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 03/04/02 07:08 PM

Testing testing 1-2-3-4... Is it working???? confused Looks like a few of you have already posted, but the board's not OFFICIALLY open yet.. Those of you who HAVE posted must have this page bookmarked and not passing through "the gate" @ http://www.MadridMan.com/bbs.html which have been "closed" until all the tests have been performed... But it looks good for a Tuesday morning opening! So don't expect ANY traffic until then (Tuesday morning). smile

Please tell me if you encounter ERROR screens. It's ENTIRELY possible. I may have to upgrade the message board afterall to give it more power. Seems it's a little too "heavy" for the current/new server/webhost. We'll see.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: nevado

Re: Message Board Down This Weekend! - 03/05/02 03:47 AM

is it open? smile just checking.
Yeh! It's back! Good job, MM. Now I can procrastinate again (instead of cleaning my house).

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: nevado ]