Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0

Posted by: MadridMan

Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/11/01 09:51 PM

HI EVERYONE!!!! WOO HOO!!! So this is it!! "Party With MadridMan: Version 3.0" is upon us. Saturday night, December 29th, 9pm, at El Brillante bar/eatery across from the Atocha train station, next to the Reina Sofía Museum.

The outdoor terraza won't be open during the winter (unfortunately), but we can stand (no tables) inside. It's cheap, it's good, and popular with the locals. It's also pretty large and should accomodate us all nicely.

We had a GREAT showing (23 people, maybe?!) in October 2000 as a nice, cozy gathering in April 1999 . Hope to see you all there!! I welcome all travelers, madrileños, and passersby whom are "MadridMan.com friendly" to share travel stories, experiences, and information about Madrid and Spain. Join the fun!

By the way, I welcome one and all to the Puerta del Sol for Noche Vieja (New Year's Eve) for a MadridMan.com Club Gathering!! Bring your champagne and 12 grapes for the 12 chimes at midnight. Prepare for an adventure!

See you there!! Saludos, MadridMan

(Disclaimer: Neither MadridMan nor MadridMan.com will be buying drinks/food for visitors - only supplying the place and others with whom to talk, share experiences, and get to know each other in this beautiful, wonderful city)
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/12/01 12:42 PM

Oh, if only . . . . but we can't!

I expect you will all have a brilliant time, and I expect lots of pictures with people's names on to be posted when you get back so that I don't feel too left out.

It's so exciting. Mind you if I had been able to attend, I would probably be dumb struck, or else have a mouth full of several types of bocadillos!! rolleyes rolleyes

Jo

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/12/01 05:34 PM

That's a shame, Jo-Anne. But maybe you can make the NEXT one at the end of March or early April when I'm there next.

Next month's gathering should be a lot of fun, but doubt it'll be as big as a springtime "Party With MadridMan" would be.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/12/01 07:48 PM

MadridMan,
You are a wonderful man! What a superb way to meet the lovely folks from your Board. Chris and I hope to be in Madrid from the 29th until the 1st and would love to join you and the others if we may.

May I also congratulate you in having my favorite e-store Tienda.com in your Board! I was getting ready to order Jamon and Lomo for Thanksgivings, now I will order through your banner!

Booklady

P.S. JoAnne, I will eat bocadillos & drink cerveza in your honor! wink

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/12/01 10:02 PM

HEY HEY !! (Krusty-The-Clown .wav) Booklady, THAT'S GREAT!!!!!!! I'm SO happy to know that you and Chris will HOPEFULLY be able to make the "Party With MadridMan: Version 3.0" at El Brillante. It would be wonderful to meet you.

And yes, I JUST added Tienda.com as one of my advertisers so feel free to "click-through" when buying all your chorizo, jamon serrano, manchego cheese, olives, olive oil, and other goodies from Spain! Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: roses

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/13/01 03:35 PM

Wow! What a nice surprise. I have a ticket to Roma, but if things don't work out with my Italian stallion, I'll be spending New Years and Christmas in Madrid. If that's the case, you can COUNT ME IN!!!

It'd be nice to finally meet... MadridMan!

Roses

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/13/01 07:40 PM

Hey roses!! I hope your "Italian Stalion" isn't as "hot to trot" as once thought and you join US in Madrid instead! Hehehee.. Just kidding. Hope all works out with the Italiano... Sounds wildly romantic! Mmmm...

And hey!! All those who attend the "Party With MadridMan" will (should!) meet my infamous madrileña " Ladyfriend " too! Now HOW could one pass THAT up??! wink

I'm thinking about TRYING to organize a MadridMan.com Club for midnight in the Puerta del Sol on New Years Eve. Now THAT TOO would be a REAL party!!! Can't wait. MAN, I'M EXCITED!!!!! eek

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: el Perrito

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/14/01 08:14 AM

Hi MM. Hope you have a nice time the 29th. Wish I could be there ( and maybe I can, you never know).

I once spent newyears eve at Sol and my friend told me that you find only tourits there (and instead asked me to join her at a dinner party). How bad could it be thought I and went....

At midnight I found Americans, Germans and Italians celebrating the new year in the rain (that time would have been better spent among friends watching it on TV).

Afterwards hardly anything was open until 1-2 A.M. so we spent a good hour looking for a nice place to have a drink before we met up with my spanish friends for a bit of clubbing. Do I need to tell you it was a cold, wet and thirsty hour? After 1.30 everything was fine, but please avoid making the same mistake as me and my cousin.
Posted by: barry

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/14/01 12:01 PM

Not to worry. The Ayuntamiento announced yesterday that they'll be throwing an utdoor (brrrr) party in Sol after midnight to celebrate the arrival of the Euro. So there'll be something to do. See you all there
Posted by: theobear

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/15/01 09:46 AM

hello MM
My brother and I are going to be flying into Madrid Dec 25 and have no plans till the 30th. We have a condo on Ibiza for that week 30th to the 6th. While in Madrid we would love to meet up with the rest of you and your friends ( I am speaking for myself now) My younger brother is in his twenties but I am 39 and this is going to be our first time in Spain. Hope to hook up then, Ted smile
Posted by: jmp110372

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/15/01 01:14 PM

Hola,

Me and my girlfriend will be at the Madrid Man New Years Eve Party. Is there any specific place to meet for this (I probably missed it in the above posts)?

Being a complete geek, one thing that I would like to say is that I hope everyone realizes the HISTORIC significance of being in Europe for the launch of the EURO. It will obviously be the largest currency launch in history and we will witness it first hand (yes, I am an accountant). Plus, I lived here for a year and I am tired of paying in 1,000's for everything.

adios
Posted by: rgf

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/15/01 02:35 PM

I'll be in Madrid starting Jan 4... reyes parade on Atocha, anyone?

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/15/01 07:51 PM

Hopefully these photos of El Brillante won't turn some of you off. Keep in mind that it's very popular with locals and NOT with tourists and is famous for it's bocadillo de calamares (fried squid sandwiches.. Mmmmmmm!). So really, it's a sandwich shop, but they serve all the popular tapas FOR MUCH LESS COST than the typical tapas bars and there's lots of space for people to stand around and talk.

Photo 1: El Brillante from the outside
Photo 2: El Brillante from the inside
Photo 3: replay's friend giving \"Thumbs Up\" to their meal!
Photo 4: Close-Up: bocadillo de calamares, patatas bravas, and San Miguel beer
Photo 5: October 2000 \"MadridMan Party\" on the terraza

Where is El Brillante????
El Brillante is on the Plaza Emperador Carlos V (a.k.a. Plaza de Atocha), is RIGHT across the street from Atocha (train station), and is "next to" the Reina Sofía
Museum.

WHEN???
9pm. Not sure about Saturday nights, but they will be open until at least 11pm, maybe later. I know 9pm might be EARLY for "REAL" Spaniards, but we'll use this time for a tapas & drinks dinner (at least *I* will!) and get to know each other. When they close, we can all make other plans together like going dancing, go tapas-hopping, or say our goodnights. We'll play it all by ear. I suggest sleeping late Saturday morning so you can stay out LATE that night with US!! smile

Hope to see you all there!! (this means you, missmadrid98, Barry, Antonio, replay, Nuria, et. al.!! wink )

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: missmadrid98

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/18/01 04:47 PM

yes yes yes!!! i will be there!!!!!! i will finally meet many of you wom i have been communicating with for a long time. and i am very excited to finally meet madridman and call him by his real name...which i hope you all will be calling me maria cristina and not missmadrid98 hahahahahhah i will be there and i will have plenty of canas and tapas and i am always ready for a good time out in madrid. don't forget the camera!!!!! whoo hooo!!!
Posted by: churrocaliente

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/18/01 06:48 PM

I will join MM and all of you for this grooviest of gatherings with fellow madri-fanaticos!!!

Saludos!!!

Maria laugh

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/18/01 09:19 PM

WOW! This is REALLY shaping up! I'm looking forward to meeting you ALL! If you are still not sure how to find it just let me know. Be sure to bring your appetite, thirst, and tongues for conversation!

Saludos, MadridMan smile
Posted by: JoeSambuca

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/19/01 11:54 AM

Madridman!
Me and my crew of four from NYC will be there!!
Looking forward to it!

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: JoeSambuca ]
Posted by: Zitrop

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/19/01 07:10 PM

Boo Hoo...Im so sad that I wont be there for your get together. I dont arrive in Madrid until the 15th of Jan. Hope you guys have a good time!!!!!Maybe I can catch the next one!
Posted by: Chica369

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/19/01 08:28 PM

Darn! We'll already be in Anadalucia and on our way to Barcelona when you all are having your reunion. Thanks for the direcciones and we'll eat a bocadillo in your honor, MM! I just met up with PlanetDeb who travels with Karen Wishart -- we all live in the same town in Pennsylvania! Saluditos!
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/20/01 09:19 AM

I'd love to be up there with you on the day, MM, but I have a houseful of relatives staying down here in the Anchovy Tin for the holiday period, but I look forward to the next time.

One question, though. In photo 5 in your earlier post, who are the happy bunch pictured on the terrace? Can you remember the names?

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/20/01 10:32 AM

It's a shame you can't attend, Anchovy Front! I'd be honored to meet you next month over some fried squid rings and a cold beer. :p

You'll find the names of the attendees in the thread " Well? How was the Bar Brillante party?? ". In that thread, you can also see a (washed out) photo of Antonio (Right), Replay (Rafael-Left), and me (center).

Of active members whose names I can remember, only Antonio and replay were there. Nuria, from Hostal Lopez, was there too. The others had seen the posting/notice on the website. smile
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/20/01 01:10 PM

The honour would be all mine, MM. I will make a point of having calamares and cerveza on the 29th and raise my glass to you all! Point your private jet south and come and visit us on the coast one day!
Posted by: pim

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/20/01 03:42 PM

Hola a todos,
It looks like this year I won't be able to make it to Zaragoza to spend X-mas time there with the 'abuelitos' :((I'm changing jobs this very week!) so....I guess I'll be joining you at El Brillante, along with one of my best friends, Dorene from Ohio; she and her boyfriend will be visiting around that time. Dorene left Madrid a year ago after having spent here five years!, sometimes I feel that in some ways she's more 'madrileña' than me! (so she's sort of a....MadridWoman, ha,ha!)

Anyway, it's too bad nobody's been interested in a "thanksgiving get together". And I'd like to wish those of you in America or anywhere who'll be tasting that delicious turkey, etc....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! wink

BTW;
El Brillante=The Shining
How scary, ha,ha!!! eek

saludos,
paloma
Posted by: LostInMadrid

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/21/01 02:21 PM

Hi MadridMan,

This sounds pretty good! Thanks for the invite! I'll try to come and bring along my (Spanish) wife and say hello and see who are all the rest the MadridMan crew is...

See you on the 29th.

-Russ
Posted by: mick nick

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/22/01 05:29 PM

Alas we wont be in Madders till February so we wont be able to join you.However , if whoevers buying the beer wants to get me one in Ill be sure to pick it up then! cool

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/24/01 09:26 AM

Well Madridman, it looks as though I will be joining you guys in Madrid this New Year's. My Italian Stallion is no more. In fact, I have been praying for my time here in Rome to go by as fast as possible. Time is up tomorrow morning. Heartbroken in Roma...well, ce la vie.

Adios...roses.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/24/01 10:46 AM

Roses,

Take heart! There are many chavales guapos in Spain!

Churrito wink

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/24/01 08:05 PM

Don't worry Roses. You're in good hands with all of us. You're sure to have fun at the MadridMan Party at El Brillante.

By my rough count we have about 13 confirmed attendees so far, maybe more, and that number will surely double by the date (Dec.29th). Should be fun.

By the way, I may have mentioned it above, but just so it's clear rolleyes , I'm only "arranging" the gathering and NOT buying drinks or food. Thanks for understanding. Sorry! MadridMan is not MoneyMan. :p

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: theobear

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/27/01 07:07 PM

Hello again MM
We would like to be there the 29th if I understand whats happening. Our concern is that we are planning on checking into the condo on Ibiza the 30th 4pm and don't have any idea on how to get there from Madrid. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ted wink

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/27/01 07:14 PM

Hope to see you at the "Party" theobear! For transportation info, try the "Transportation" forum and use the SEARCH link using IBIZA as your keyword. If you find nothing, post your own topic in that forum. See you on the 29th!
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/28/01 10:48 PM

OH MAN!! I wish I were going to be in Madrid...HEY isn't Iberia having a sale right now?!...

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/29/01 06:05 PM

Yep,
I joined the frequent flyer e-mail program and I got a e-mail that mentioned tickets for circa $375- roundtrip until Dec 4th. But I heard it was extended to the 15th.
Call what do you have to loose??????
Go for it and hang out with us at Madridman's holiday bash on December 29th
(I was not paid to say that)

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: JoeSambuca ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/30/01 02:06 PM

JoeSambuca:

375 from where? And where did you find that fare??? Just curious. Thanks for the info.

roses.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/30/01 02:58 PM

Iberia,
Actually!! its $301.00
I saved the e-mail and it states buy tickets before december 4rth and travel between Nov 1- march 20th.
But you have to leave from NYC.
Call 800-772-4642
I have the e-mail if you want me to forward it

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: JoeSambuca ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/30/01 03:59 PM

JOE-

So that's Iberia for 301 from JFK? Can you email that to me at Espana93@yahoo.com ?! I didn't know Iberia had a last minute fare email thingy, I'll have to sign up!

Thanks,

-GG

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 11/30/01 06:44 PM

Hey! I'm looking forward to seeing you all at EL BRILLANTE on December 29th!! This weekend I'll be putting a "Your Presence is Expected!" photo on the opening screen of MadridMan.com to get the word out. Probably shouldn't have taken this long to do it, but it's still not too late either. See you all there!!
Posted by: LindaB

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/01/01 08:03 AM

Madrid for the New Years, what a great thing!
I remember the restaurant you will be meeting at. We stopped there to sip cervasa
after visiting the Reina Sophia...which was a terrific museum by the way.

I wish we could be there...but we will be visiting Green bay Wisconsin for a Packer-Viking game.

Have a great time!

LindaB
Posted by: Puna

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/01/01 12:37 PM

GranadaGirl - the same Iberia fare is applicable from Logan as well - so whichever is easier for you - JFK or Logan.

Wish I were going to be in Madrid to share the evening with all of you ---- maybe, maybe, maybe??? Know you will all have a fantastic time!

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/01/01 08:13 PM

Hello All! Just completed the info page on the "Party With MadridMan: Version 3.0" @ http://www.MadridMan.com/madridman.html .

I'm looking forward to seeing you all there!!!
Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Nativo

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/02/01 10:46 AM

MM count me in for the 29th. I am looking forward to meet the man that started all this (plus I've been a long time fan of "El brillante".

For that night I strongly advice a previous nap...
Posted by: Asterault

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/04/01 12:50 PM

Madrid Man's not buying????!!!! confused

If I am in town I will stop by though I might be in El Escorial instead.
Posted by: Tia

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/05/01 01:12 AM

Asterault,

I would have participated, too, if that had been the case... wink No, no, only joking and trying to hide my dissapointment, ´cause I´ll be flying to a wrong direction on 22nd. I´m going to spend the Christmas holidays with my real family in my native country.

Have a GREAT time (I know you will)!

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Tia ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/10/01 10:29 PM

Do any of those attending the "Party" have a digital camera? replay, maybe you can bring yours? I plan to bring my standard 35mm camera, but it'll take some time to get those online. IF ONLY I possessed the technology to have a wireless webcam which would be used throughout the evening, snapping photos left and right, being uploaded directly to MadridMan.com for all to witness LIVE. That would be COOL!! Can't wait. See you all VERY soon!!! laugh

Saludos, MadridMan (with mouth watering for the taste of that FIRST bocadillo de calamares or the patatas bravas. Mmmmm.. Mmm... )

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/10/01 11:37 PM

Nine days for me MadridMan and I will be eating those delightful bocadillos and marzapanes! I am giddy with excitement!!!
laugh laugh laugh
p.s. I will bring a digital camera!

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/10/01 11:38 PM

MM, I have a digital camera. I wasn't sure if I should bring it or not -- that as well as my 35mm. Where and when would you upload?

Churrito

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/10/01 11:45 PM

Do either of you have one of those great Sony Mavika digital cameras where you can save the images to a floppy disk? If not, we'd be out of luck. If so, I'd take the disk and upload it from my ladyfriend's computer that night for ALL THE WORLD TO SEE! WOO HOO!!! laugh

If either of you (or anyone) is uneasy about bringing a camera, don't worry about it. I'll certainly have my 35mm camera, but will have to develop then scan the images and they never turn out VERY well, not like with a digital camera.

Booklady and churrocaliente, are you FLYING to Madrid together? What a great coincidence you're both coming from Florida. Booklady, I too am counting the days: 11 DAYS 'til I land on Spanish soil! MAN!, I can't wait!!!

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/11/01 12:05 AM

MM, me thinks booklady lives in North Florida, whereas I live in the southern part of the state. I'll be flying Iberia out of Miami Int.

I don't have that floppy disk camera. If your ladyfriend has USB ports on her computer, then it would work, but you'd have to download the camera software from Kodak's website ... getting complicated?

I am tempted to do a roadtripcentral.com Madrid edition, but I don't know if my friend will part ways with his iBook. Then I'd be able to upload that same evening, provided I had internet connection.

The only other solution would be for me to email you the images as soon as I got back.

In any case ... regular 35mm is always best ... just requires more patience.

saludos,

Churrito

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/11/01 10:03 PM

Hola MadridMan,
I love those Mavicas,but alas I have an ordinary digital, I am also carrying a regular 35mm for the crisp pictures. frown
This time I am flying from Orlando to the fair city of Philadelphia, then out.
cool 8 more days...

Booklady

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/12/01 02:17 PM

To all you lucky people that will be partaking in the meeting of MM and the heavenly bocadillos on 29 December. I have decided that because I cannot be there in person, I have added a photo of myself to my profile. I am looking glum in front of an empty glass, but I'm hoping that you can imagine it full for me on the 29th and think me there! I shall certainly be doing that at this end! laugh laugh laugh

Hope you all have the most brilliant time and I look forward to hearing all about it, and hopefully seeing the pics if they get done.

Thanks.

Jo

PS - Woops!! Didn't mean you were lucky people because I'd put my pic on my profile, I mean lucky coz of the party . . .
rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Jo-Anne ]
Posted by: paseodeh50

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/12/01 10:13 PM

I am new to your sitey pleased to have found it just before heading to Madrid. Will make a sincere effort to join you at "El Brillante". Looking forward to connecting with some natives to talk about Spain in the late 50's. I lived there as a kid for 3 years back then.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/18/01 09:01 AM

One quick follow-up: We're all meeting at 9pm at El Brillante. It's Saturday night and, while I'm not certain, I think El Brillante closes at midnight. If any of the madrileño board members are reading this message and happen to in the area of Atocha, could you please stop into El Brillante and ask when they close on Saturday nights? Thanks. laugh

I'm thinking that those of us who want to keep the night going will go to some other bar, club, or disco for some added fun, but I'll be at El Brillante until 11pm at the earliest, maybe later if we still have a good crowd. Last year, 11pm was about when most people began to leave (we started at 9pm then too), but reply, Antonio, and Andrés, Nuria, I, and some others went to some clubs in Huertas afterwards.

So if anyone is in the area (I know replay likes to go to El Brillante now and then) of Atocha, please check their closing time for Saturday nights. Thanks!!!!!! smile

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: JJP

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/18/01 08:14 PM

Everyone meeting with MM on December 29th,

I wish everyone on this board a wonderful holiday season. For those in Spain during the Christmas season, Feliz Navidad!

I leave in two days for my first adventure in Spain's capital city. Been to Spain in the past, but only the severe north and south.

To those with the perfect timing to get together with MM on the 29th I say have a drink (or coffee) for all us members absent. We'll be there in spirit!

I leave Madrid the 28th. Too bad, it would have been great fun to put a face with some of our "user-names."

ENJOY! laugh
Posted by: Roger

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/19/01 12:37 PM

Hi MM,

The Brillante closes at 1.30 in the morning on Saturdays - I've just called them for you.

Glad to see you'll be in Madrid once again - if you'd like to meet up for lunch or something like last time, please just email me.

take care, Roger from GoMadrid.com

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/20/01 12:52 PM

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to call them for us, Roger (of GoMadrid.com ). smile I'm a bit surprised they're open SO late. And hopefully we'll all see you and your lovely (madrileña) wife at El Brillante as we did at last year's gathering. (I just sent you a long email too) Be well, my friend.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Chica

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/23/01 03:05 PM

Saludos to MM and the MM Board members! I am a novata at this, but not to Spain. Have traveled to Spain over 16 times (know practically the entire country except the islands)...the first time I fell in love with the country and the last 8 times fell in love with a Spaniard. We married and I finally moved here this past April (by way of Philadelphia). I am loving my new life!!

Just talked to the hubby and we plan on joining the MM Gang at El Brillante!! Will there be any non-English speakers there? Angel only speaks Spanish (for now wink ). Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

Becky y Ángel

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/24/01 10:22 AM

Hi FROM MADRID, gang!
Chica, all are welcome, English speakers as well as Spanish speakers (we´ll probably have lots of bilinguals too). We´ll have a lot of both, I´m sure. See you all there!! Can´t wait. Should be a lot of fun!!

Saludos, MadridMan (who slept til noon today because of a late night of tapeando with his ladyfriend)
Posted by: skg2

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/25/01 12:34 PM

hola madridman y otros,

i will be in madrid this year after christmas and for new years...will be partying at pacha, kapital, and cool amongst others and will be out on the 29th and unable to stop by but i would it would be great to grab a bite to eat at some other point while i am there.

skg
Posted by: replay

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/25/01 05:05 PM

Hello friends,

Long time since I don´t write a message in Madridman´s BBS.

I will be in Party With Madridman 3.0 as like the last one in October.

Unfortunately Antonio won´t be in this edition, but I am sure we will enjoy so much with this meeting.

Madridman is here since Saturday and I could be with him in barrio del Lucero, If I can I will give my JPG files to Madridman, so he could publish them in the web.

See you next Saturday.

PS. Happy Christmas and have a great 2002!!

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]
Posted by: skg2

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/25/01 05:15 PM

if el brillante is in atocha is it near to kapital? (right next to the mcdonalds) i will probably be stopping there the 29th for a while and could stop by...
Posted by: canadiense

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/25/01 09:43 PM

It's right across the street and around the corner, take you about 30 seconds on foot to get there from Kapital.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/26/01 09:12 AM

Uhm, I'm not sure yet whether I could go or not. I'm going out of Madrid for the end of the year. I'll try to postpone my trip so that I can stay at Madridman's party.

If I don't see you that night, have a great time.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/26/01 11:36 AM

Hello Antonio, here we are Madridman, Madridman´s girlfriend and me.

We hope to see you there this saturday, if not we will plan some kind of revenge!! wink

See you Antonio!, and happy birthday with some weeks of delay.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/27/01 08:09 PM

Wow, so how is it being back in Madrid Madridman?

I'll see you all on Saturday. How's the weather???

roses.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/28/01 02:38 PM

We are with a HOT sun and everybody is visiting the pools with swim clothes wink

It is only a joke, but the weather is really cold this year, it is not far from the typical temperatures of December in Madrid, but the ice and snow are the main characters of this real white Christmas. Now we have only one degree and the nights are usually freezing.

But probably for this weekend we will enjoy with a softer temperatures and rain because a south wind with clouds is coming now to Spain.But I prefer a freezing temperature to a rainy night confused

See you!

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/29/01 09:02 AM

I´m in MADRID!!!!!!!!!
For all those going to MM´s party I´ll see ya soon. For all those going in spirt, I´ll have a cervesa and I´ll toast you all.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/29/01 11:05 AM

Have a cerveza for me!!! I'll be thinking of you all and with you all in spirit, but I couldn't make it this time!!!

Hasta pronto!!

GranadaGirl
Posted by: alejandro

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/29/01 03:08 PM

I'd rather be at El Brillante right now. . .

I hope everyone has a great time!

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/30/01 05:35 AM

Hi all you party people!

I will be visiting my freezer this evening and removing the frozen calamaries and cooking and then applying them to some bread and thinking of you all with every mouthful!

Hope you have a fantastic time and I look forward to hearing how you all got on.

Jo
xxx

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Jo-Anne ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/30/01 09:04 AM

Wow! I´m REALLY excited about tonight... 6 hours more to wait and I´ll not only meet SO many of you face to face for the first time, but I´ll also have my first bocadillo de calamares (fried squid sandwich) of the trip!! But the best part of tonight will be talking with many of you, exchanging ideas and experiences, and shaking your hands or giving the two typical cheek kisses upon meeting. (I love this custom)

¡Hasta pronto! Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Bricamb

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/30/01 09:17 AM

Sounds like your all going to have a good time tonight. I'm not in Madrid till 22/1 but maybe I can attend the next one. Que lo pases bien!

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 12/30/01 08:00 PM

Great gathering MM! It was terrific to see so many people at El Brillante. Sorry we couldn´t stay long, had a couple other stops to make. However I was glad to have some faces with names.

MissMadrid98...thanks again for the leads! It was nice meeting you personally. Pim --sorry we didn´t really chat...GREAT HAIR!!

Oh and MM, don´t forget about what we discussed. I am more than willing to collaborate with you! You have a great thing going here and know that it´s helpful to thousands of people!

Looking forward to Semana Santa! wink

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/01/02 02:03 AM

Another successful Party With MadridMan has passed and wow! What fun we had. I´ll have to check the photos, but seems we had about 28 attendees.

We spent the first 2 hours at at El Brillante where many people had the bocadillos de calamares. Next, we went to a place in Huertas called MERENGUE, a small dance club with loud music which made talking very difficult. Soon after, we went to another place in Huertas (La Tapería de Huertas - Santa María, 28) for some sit down tapas and wine. This was a great and quiet place for us all to be in order to talk. Finally, we went to yet another place in Huertas (Daniel's - Duque de Medinaceli, 12), kind of an Irish pub, which luckily had a back room and was away from the loudish music so we could stand or sit and talk. This was the final place and my ladyfriend and I left at about 3am...we were the FIRST to leave and 18 people were still hanging on to the group. Hopefully someone from that group can confirm that you did go on to some OTHER place after THAT! WOW!

What a good time I had too. After returning home and developing my photos, I´ll post name and photos. REPLAY took MANY photos with his digital camera...what a help he was. And Antonio went ahead of the group to find places for us to meet as well as helped with the bills. These two guys were great. Thank you both!!

In short, I met, among others, Fernando (what a NICE guy!), Pim (so sweet with GREAT English), Chica (what a find you were!), missmadrid98 (proud to show her LEGALITY), Celia U (wow! ¡guapísima!), Shawn (another nice guy), Paseodh50 (a pleasure to talk to you), and.... I know I´m missing some people. Please speak up if you were overlooked.

More later! Saludos, MadridMan (whose time is coming to an end here in Madrid... frown )

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Antonio ]
Posted by: SuePycroft

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/01/02 10:46 AM

Hello to everyone, glad to hear the party went with a swing, can't wait to see the photo's MM and put faces to names at long last.
Wishing everyone a Happy, Peaceful,and Prosperous 2002.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/02/02 09:42 PM

MMan,

You kept saying: "thanks for coming" to everyone....but, THANK YOU for the invitation!

The place where we had those exotic tapas is La Tapería de Huertas, and the "sangría place" is called Daniel's if I remember it well.

P.D.: Chica, thanks for the compliment(¿?)

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/06/02 04:15 PM

THE PARTY PHOTOS ARE HERE!!!!

Thanks SO much to REPLAY ( PHOTO ) for being the OFFICIAL photographer for "Party With MadridMan: Version 3.0". Unfortunately, I never did get EVERYONE'S name at the party, but did get most of the message board member's names.

MadridMan's Photos @ El Brillante:

Photo 1 : Antonio, Celia U, missmadrid98

Photo 2 : MadridMan, REPLAY, Antonio

Photo 3 Clockwise from bottom:
Unknown, Unknown, Beverly, Paseodh50, Judi(met on the plane), Janice

REPLAY'S Photos @ El Brillante:

Photo 1 : MadridMan at El Brillante (under sign)

Photo 2 : MadridMan eating bocadillo de calamares!!!

Photo 3 : missmadrid98, Antonio, Celia U

Photo 4 (L-R): Jill, Unknown, Lynda

Photo 5 : Judi, Janice, Paseodh50, Beverly

Photo 6 (L-to-R): Sandy's mother, MadridMan, Sandy, Sandy's father, my Ladyfriend, Mari Paz, Shawn

Photo 7 : Fernando, Brian, MadridMan, Sandy's mother

Photo 8 : Chica and husband Angel ("masked" by request)

Photo 9 :
Front Row (L-R): Celia U, missmadrid98, replay, Antonio. Back Row (L-R): Unknown, Unknown, Paseodh50, Janice

Photo 10 (L-R): MadridMan, Iwalanic, JoeSambuca, Rocio, Pim

Photo 11 (L-R): MadridMan, Sue, Nate, Ann

REPLAY'S photo at Merengue club:

Photo 1 (L-R): Sandy, Janice, Judi, Beverly, Paseodh50

MadridMan's Photos @ La Tapería:

Photo 1 (clockwise):
Nate, Brian, Beverly(?), Paseodh50, Janice, Sandy, Judi, my Ladyfriend, REPLAY, Shawn, Mari Paz

Photo 2 (clockwise):
my Ladyfriend, REPLAY, Shawn, Mari Paz, Iwalanic, Sue, Fernando, JoeSambuca, Ann, Rocio, Pim, Nate

REPLAY'S Photos @ La Tapería:

Photo 1 : MadridMan taking a photo

Photo 2 (L-R): JoeSambuca, Ann, Rocio, Pim's shoulder

Photo 3 (Clockwise): Rocio, Pim, Nate, Brian, Beverly, Paseodh50, Janice, Sandy, my Ladyfriend, Judi, MadridMan, Shawn

Photo 4 (Clockwise): Shawn, Mari Paz, Iwalanic, Sue, Fernando, JoeSambuca, Anne, Rocio, Pim, Nate

Photo 5 (L-R): my Ladyfriend, MadridMan, REPLAY

Photo 6 : YUMMY tapas & wine!

REPLAY'S photos @ Daniel's, "The Irish Pub"

Photo 1 (L-R): Brian, Pim, MadridMan, my Ladyfriend, JoeSambuca

Photo 2 (L-R): Anne, Fernando (front), Nate, Pim, Brian

Photo 3 (L-R): Rocio & Shawn

Photo 4 (a.k.a. "Lucky Antonio"): BELOW: Iwalanic, Sue, Mari Paz. TOP: Antonio, Sandy

Photo 5 (L-R): Rocio, REPLAY, Shawn

And that's all there is!! Please let me know if I have named anyone incorrectly or give me the names of those few I have listed as UNKNOWN. Thank you!!!!

It WAS a great meeting all of you and we had such a good time. REPLAY, my Ladyfriend, and I left the Daniel's Irish Pub at about 3am and there were still many of you talking. Sounds like you enjoyed the night for many hours after that! smile

Looking forward to Semana Santa for the NEXT "Party With MadridMan: Version 4.0", MadridMan

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/06/02 06:31 PM

WOW!

Well, it's taken me some time, but I've looked at all the pics. Was only going to look at one or two, but then couldn't stop!

What a happy, gorgeous bunch of people you were!

So, the date of version 4.0 is???? You know I need to know, because easyJet are likely to be doing their booking a free flight to Madrid thing tomorrow! If I could get the password from the paper early enough and get some free flights, we will be THERE!

Jo

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/06/02 06:39 PM

GREAT PICS Replay and MM!!!

Gee MM, for that gentlman being an unknown (pic #6 at El Brillante) your "Lady Friend" seems to be hanging onto him pretty tight!!

smile wink smile wink smile wink smile wink

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/06/02 10:06 PM

So Spaniards!! Tell me/us when is Spain's Semana Santa/Holy Week this year??? Tell us quick so Jo-Anne can make flight arrangements tomorrow (Monday!! eek ). I'm thinking Semana Santa is during the last full week in March. Correct? Hope so. (Almost) Regardless, I'm thinking the "Party With MadridMan: Version 4.0" could be either the Friday (March 29) or Saturday (March 30th) before Easter Sunday (March 31st). I don't recall if Semana Santa ALWAYS falls on the week before Easter Sunday or the week AFTER Easter Sunday.

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/07/02 04:31 AM

Although I got a friend to phone through today's password for easyJet's free flights, I was too late and haven't been able to get anything for the last week March/first week April time. (Today's password incase anyone wants to try for Liverpool - Madrid is BARGAIN. This password only lasts today, and Madrid is the only destination from Liverpool today).

I will nevertheless keep my eye on this thread, and you never know what other offers Stelios might come up with - we could be there yet!

Jo

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/07/02 09:35 AM

hello everyone! I'm so sorry I missed the party. I ended up having to cancel my trip to Madrid because of an unexpected health problem. Glad to know you all had a great time!!! Paloma says they toasted a sangria in my honor. That was very heart-warming, thank you! smile

I am experiencing serious Spain withdrawal but there will be better times ... I hope to go sometime after May.

churrito

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/07/02 08:42 PM

Awesome Pics.....Madridman!
Posted by: Puna

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/08/02 11:07 AM

Great photos!!! laugh laugh laugh
And what fun to put faces to some names - looks as if a stupendous time was had by all!

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/24/02 07:21 AM

MMan,

Did you receive a msg I sent you about the names of two of the "unknown women" from the pics?

¡Saludos!

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/24/02 10:14 AM

:o OOPS! Sorry pim. I've been a bit preoccupied lately with web-stuff. Yes. I did get that email and JUST NOW made those name additions on the last posting of the previous page with the photos.

Thanks again! Hope you're well and looking forward to the NEXT "Party With MadridMan: Version 4.0" in about TWO MONTHS in MADRID! WOO HOO!! cool

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: ammcfar

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 01/26/02 08:11 AM

Sounds like this was pretty cool, I´m sorry I missed it and will definitly be there for the next one. Any interest in organizing another gathering sooner though?

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 02/04/02 12:26 PM

Hey MM! Any news yet on the spring version 4.0?

Churrito laugh

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 02/04/02 12:59 PM

¡¡¡¡Yo Churrrrrrrito!!!!! laugh
No final word yet on Version 4.0, but it WILL happen. Seems I'll be out of Madrid for most of Semana Santa itself. But still not sure if I should have it on a Thursday night (a little less crowded and most all travelers can make this) or on Friday or Saturday night (very busy, crowded bars, but more Spaniards would be likely to attend). Any input?

By the way, I REALLY liked "the way" we did it last time; starting at El Brillante and then going from place to place in Huertas. I think this was perfect.

THIS time around, we'll be able to sit outside at El Brillante's terraza... ( SEE PHOTO HERE of the October 2000 "Party: Version 2.0" on the terraza). Thursday night would be better for this as we'd be more likely to be able to occupy many tables together if we meet at 9pm.

Saludos, MadridMan (who is getting EXCITED for the NEXT trip to Madrid!!!!)

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: Dec.29th: Party With MadridMan (in Madrid): Version 3.0 - 02/04/02 02:14 PM

Yo! Madridman! laugh

Do you mean Thurs the 28th or Fri the 29th (that's semana santa, right?) As far as input goes, I would love to meet other mm.com buddies but whatever you think is best.

Churrito (who is also excited and trying to reschedule her trip to Spain for March because her Madrilena friend invited her to come around that time, and attempting to convince her boss that it's OK even though there are several deadlines at the end of that month! "But Mr. Snigglesworth, it's MM's party, how can I miss THAT?") laugh

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: churrocaliente ]