Los Angeles Dinner Club

Posted by: Shawn

Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/08/01 02:23 PM

Greetings!

Too much time has passed since the last dinning experience with kindered spirits in the Los Angeles area. May I suggest an early November date to call together the Hispaniphiles for another evening of good cheer and even better cuisine! I am open to all suggestion for locale and date. Lets get the process going.

Cheers,
Shawn
Posted by: laduque

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/09/01 06:53 PM

Count me in!!!Just name the place and time at least 2 weeks in advance.
Posted by: Nicole

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/09/01 07:42 PM

Sounds good! I was just thinking about it today - and secretly hoping someone else would organize it. In fact, I am sure Mister Basco would be happy to help you put it all together. He even offered to treat us all. Isn't that sweet? wink

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Nicole ]

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/12/01 09:03 PM

CAlibasco suggested a Basque place up in Chino Hills. Would that be too far for you to drive, Laduque? there is always "La Paella" as well.

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/13/01 02:13 PM

Exactly where is Chino Hills? and if it is on a Saturday, it would give me enough time to drive up!

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/13/01 09:06 PM

Well, it is east of Los Angeles. I was just looking at the map, and it looks like it is almost directly north of San Diego. It seems like the 15N will take you almost directly there.

Calibasco, any thoughts?

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/15/01 02:27 PM

Outstanding!

It looks as if the ball is beginning to roll.....Calibasco, Calibasco come out wherever you are... I wil agree to nearly any sugestions. How is friday, November 9?

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/15/01 05:56 PM

works for me. I may be bringing a co-worker and new Spanophile as well.

As for Mr. Basco, apparently he only responds to PRIVATE emails. rolleyes That new job is going to his head wink
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/15/01 08:33 PM

Alas, I see that the sacred name of CaliBasco has been slandered by the "salchichaphile" Nicole. Let me just say this...I think we should do Centro Basco in Chino.

Chino (and Chino Hills) are between the 57 and 15 freeways (if coming from the south go up the 5 to the 55 N, go from the 55 N to the 91 E and take the 71 N to Central Ave. Go N on Central a few miles, and the Centro Basco is on the left. It is perfect as dinner is served "family style"... If you want, I can call ahead to the Berterreches and see about some special seating...

How about November 3???

P.S. I'll be happy to pay for dinner if you guys can postpone dinner plans until November 31st. :p

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/16/01 05:19 PM

the third is okay for me.

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/17/01 02:50 PM

I am agreeable to either date suggested by CaliBasco. I glad to see this beginning to take form. I echo Nicole's plea, Where is Roses?
Posted by: roses

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/18/01 03:39 PM

I'm here... I've been really busy being frustrated that I can't be in Spain.

Life throws so many twists and turns... I am about to make a huge change in my life, and I have been dealing with that decision for awhile.

However, I miss all of you guys and this site. As I e-mailed to Nicole, I'd love to have dinner. I'm totally in. I just need to know how far Chino is from Santa Monica. (minutes wise) If it's not too far, I'm totally game to hang. wink

Anyway, I'm that all of you are doing well. Calibasco? What's this I hear about a new job??? Is it your dream job??? Congratulations!

roses.
p.s. thanks for pulling me out of my shell, i forgot how much i love this site and the people.

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/18/01 07:59 PM

yay!! you're back!!!

hmm. How far is Chino from Santa Monica? I would say maybe half hour/forty minutes when there isn't any traffic... I am not sure though... I will be coming from Mar Vista, so it should be about the same amount of time for me.

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/19/01 12:57 PM

ummm, maybe we can carpool? let me know. you have my personal e-mail...

thanks!

roses.

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/19/01 02:32 PM

Sure. I will be happy to carpool. I will email you later!

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/19/01 08:02 PM

Chino is exactly 45 miles east of LA (I drive 47 miles to Westwood). At 8 at night, you won't really find much traffic to speak of, so it should take you less than an hour.

Let's plan on 8 o'clock. Centro Basco is located on Central Ave. in Chino. Take the 10 to the 60 East and exit Central Ave. (a few miles east of the 71 interchange, which is east of the 57 freeway). Go south on Central about 3-5 miles, cross Chino Ave. and you'll see Centro Basco (NOT Café du Midi) on your right. There's parking on the side and in the back, and a little one-story hotel on the left of the hotel. I'll explain all that.

I'll do a little recon this weekend to get an exact fix on the street number, etc. If you reach Schaefer Ave. you've gone to far...

See you in a few weeks!!!

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/29/01 06:47 PM

I haven't heard from those who will be able to make it on the 3rd (except for Nicole... I told her about the Basque sausage, and you could see the drool on her e-mail)...

Please e-mail me or send me a private message to let me know if a) you're in town, and b) you can make it. You can catch me at cosmo@spain.com...If you e-mail me I'll most likely give you my cell so you can check in if you're going to be late, etc.

See you Saturday!!! smile smile

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/29/01 07:54 PM

I'll be there! Looking forward to seeing all of you again.

roses.

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/29/01 08:04 PM

Calibasco, rolleyes

I will be there as well

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Nicole ]

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/29/01 08:44 PM

Unfortunately I won't be able to join the Angelenos on Friday. I have to work at the restaurant because we are short=handed right now.
I hope you all have a blast and I know i'm going to miss a heck of a time!

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/30/01 11:43 AM

Lest anyone be as of yet confused: November 3 is SATURDAY, not Friday... smile

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 10/31/01 04:32 PM

I'll be there.

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 11/05/01 06:01 PM

Well, the phrase "it'll be a cold day in hell..." has its Southern California equivalent: "It'll be a rainy night in Chino..."

Yes, it rained, and yes, some of us got together at Centro Basco, a Basque restaurant in Chino, CA for dinner. Joining me were Nicole and Shawn. Roses had another engagement (darn!) and laduque was working the restaurant in San Diego.

Dinner was great (I am very biased, though), and we were both happy to get the update on Shawn's big Spain plans (I'll let him post).

For those of you in the area, we plan to get together again within a couple of months, prior to Shawn's departure. Maybe we'll go down to Costa Brava (or whatever misnomer you guys decided on, laduque!!!).

We'll send you a picture for posting, MM!

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 11/05/01 10:10 PM

It was a fine evening in spite of the autumn chill and the farmland fragrance. I enjoyed as usual the insightful and wide ranging conversation that Nicole and CaliBasco facilitate. The meal was splendid as well. Although, Mary's little lamb might not have thought so as I have rekindled my romance for that succulent meat.

Calibasco alluded to my big plans. Encouraged by those who have spent lengthy stays in Spain, I have finalized my plans to study Spanish through a program(programme) offered through the Universidad de Valladolid. It will be a year-long course of studies that will combine Castellano with Hispanic Studies (art history, literature, history, etc.).

I have quit my job, sold my new car, and have thrown caution to the wind while a sence of wanderlust has overtaken my typically reserved self. I will arrive in Madrid at the end of December so as to partake in the "12 uvas" celebration. I plan on spending about week in Madrid prior to heading to Valladolid. Much as Michael is weighing his housing options for Valencia, I too am considering the many possibilties. I'll have to decide soon. I have never been to Valladolid, but that fact dosen't deter me as the sence of wonder from appraoching the relatively unknown is invigorating.

Of course, I shall update this esteemed board with any pearls that I encounter in my sojourn. Hopefully, I may be of assistance to future board members, just as so many of you have been to me. Gracias!

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Shawn ]

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 11/05/01 10:23 PM

I am sorry I missed the dinner, sounds like you had a wonderful time, as always!
Shawn, I am so happy you are finalizing your trip and can't wait to read your posts when you get there.
Dinner before Shawn leaves is a definite! Costa Brava awaits!(If S.D. is just too far, I will make every attempt to make the drive!)

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 11/13/01 03:41 PM

so sorry that i missed the dinner. i truly enjoyed the last one with you guys. i forgot about a concert i agreed to go to months ago. that's what happens will you plan too far in advance. by any means, i'll try to make the next dinner date with you guys. shawn, it sounds like you are in for a real treat. when you look back on your life years from now, you are going to remember your year in Vallodoid.

safe travels.

roses.

Re: Los Angeles Dinner Club - 11/14/01 12:05 PM

We missed you guys too, but had a nice time visiting nonetheless. Laduque, how was the drive to LOng Beach last time? Did it shave some time off? I would be happy to head to SD, I am looking at applying to UCSD and SDState, so it would give me chance to chech out the campuses - we would then stay overnight. That might be too far for everyone else though... what do you all think...

Cali suggested La Luna, which I think we all enjoyed too.