Resurrect the LA Dinner Group!

Posted by: CaliBasco

Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/26/01 08:36 PM

We have a new potential member for the dinner clique. I would like to submit that we get together sometime during the second weekd of April. Let's throw suggestions around, and do it! Shawn, Nicole, anyone else in the area? Post here or e-mail me with suggestions and availability.

Hasta entonces...
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/26/01 09:18 PM

Where do you guys go normally?
I could fly out there for a day if you are really gong to resurrect it!
e-mail me with the place.
'taluego
Posted by: Nicole

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/27/01 01:28 AM

We met a couple times at a restaurant in Pasadena. I am up for it Calibasco. Should we think about checkingout another place, or stick with La Luna?
Posted by: Rafael

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/27/01 03:26 AM

Well I am Rafael in Riverside.
I would like to participate in your group,
there are so many things to talk and make friends.
Posted by: roses

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/27/01 02:29 PM

Hey My friend and I live in Los Angeles and we would love to join the group. There is a place in Long Beach if anyone is interested... it's a great Spanish restaurant! Great music, sangria, y paella. I'll figure out the name and exact location and come back and post a reply. Ciao. When are you guys thinking? -roses
Posted by: laduque

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/27/01 03:49 PM

Calibasco, you read my mind!!! Count me in!!
I missed the famous dinner group the last time and can't wait to meet all you wild and crazy Angelinos!!!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/27/01 04:11 PM

I'm not so sure that a central location is such a big deal...Rafael, check into the new Cafe Sevilla in Riverside. Roses: Check the LB location and name. My original post suggests the second week of April. There's a member who wants to get together before she leaves for the camino de Santiago on the 25 of April...so I'd like to accomodate her schedule. La Luna Negra is okay, too...but I'd just as soon check out a new location. We could even eat "family style" in Chino at the Centro Basco...post your opinions, and we'll do it. Shawn...¿estás allí? BTW, Nicole...Centro Basco has great sausage...:P

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/27/01 08:46 PM

hush!

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 03-28-2001).]
Posted by: Shawn

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/28/01 12:38 AM

Si, estoy aqui. Count me in! I am open to nearly any offering, but the sooner we can nail down the details the better for my scheduling.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 03-28-2001).]
Posted by: nevado

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/28/01 06:41 AM

I think roses was referring to Alegria on Pine Street (115) across from ZGallery and the Crate and Barrel outlet Can you do another reunion in June?

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/28/01 12:45 PM

Nevado: That's it... Alegria. Thanks!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/29/01 11:03 AM

How about April 13th? It's not a bad luck day, since in Spain it's Tuesday the 13th that is "hexed". Please e-mail me with your availability for the 13th of April, and any suggestions for venue...Gracias!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/29/01 04:24 PM

I can do it on the 13th of April. Please e-mail at my personal e-mail with the location and confirmed date and time. Thanks!

roseadkins@hotmail.com

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/29/01 05:12 PM

The 13th is fine. I am open to any any ideas regarding locations.

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/29/01 09:10 PM

fine by me as well. i would love to check out a new place (as long as it isn't too expensive, money is a little tight right now).

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 03/30/01 11:43 AM

Here's the plan: April 13th, Allegria in Long Beach, 8-9 p.m. I've e-mailed those who I could. If I missed you, send me a note letting me know you can make it. You can check www.zagat.com for a map to the site if you haven't been there before. I know that sometimes parking can be tight there, so plan accordingly.

See you that Friday!!!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/06/01 04:43 PM

OKAY! It's 8:00 p.m. and luckily we missed the LB Gran Prix this weekend...I didn't even plan that...¡los dioses nos están sonriendo! See you Friday! smile

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/07/01 11:43 PM

I just compleated a little inadvertent reconnaissance of our planned fiesta locale. After enjoying some of the festivities of the Long Beach Grand Prix qualifying, I strolled over to the local Hooter's establishment ( Ladie members , I chastised the manager for its sexist motiff, he apologized and kindly noted that I have made the same complaint on several occaaions prior laugh ) As I stumbled err strolled out of that decadent and repuganant watering-hole, I saw the the inviting sign for Alegria. I entered and and enjoyed an early supper. In short, the food rated well and the service even higher. The waiter suggested that we (LA Dinning Club) get reservations early in the week. The one oddity of this place was that their menu claims to serve "cucina latina", not "Comida Latina" as I would have expected. Perhaps, they will perpare a special plate of chorizo a la Italiana for a recently rediscoverd member of our merry band.

Ciao

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/08/01 01:41 PM

laugh

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/09/01 04:17 PM

I'll contact them tomorrow (Tuesday) and make reservations for what looks to be a party of 10...and I'll request special "chorizo seating" for that certain VITAL member...(you'd better not miss, Nicole!!!!) smile

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/09/01 10:34 PM

I will do my best. two other events have popped up, one of which may be difficult to get out of, but how could I not go ut with you guys?

by the way, for all your teasing, I am determined to order the most Spanish thing on the menu! give me some patatas bravas baby!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/10/01 07:22 PM

Here's the scoop on Allegria...which I'm considering renaming "Tristeza" after this.

The restaurant has 7:45 and 9:00 available for Friday...I went to set 7:45 (for longer chatting) and they said that with a group of over eight we have to have a per person food order of $12.95 or more (not including drinks!)...they will only hold the reservation with a credit card number as well.

Do we still want to go with these restrictions? I need to know ASAP...since we've got an out-of-towner coming in to join us! Please e-mail me at cocido@madrid.com and let me know!!! We can do "El Centro Basco" in Chino for family-style (just to get together and eat lamb...) if you'd like or Luna Negra...or do this Allegria. I just wanted to clear budgetary restrictions with all of you first!!!

Thanks!
CaliBasco

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/10/01 07:52 PM

so that's about a good 20 bucks per person. hey, why not splurge? if not, it's just going to go to bills anyway (-:

9:00 is good with me... it's friday, right? I can stay out all night... well, at least until midnight.

who is the out of town visitor? someone from virgina?

-roses

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/10/01 08:51 PM

I have no problems either way. Whatever option brings the highest turnout is the one I support.

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/10/01 09:03 PM

I am okay with that...as long as it's not MY credit card wink

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/11/01 05:15 PM

WE'RE SET!!!!

7:45 p.m. on Friday at Allegria...and I didn't need to give them my credit card!!!

PLEASE BE THERE...the reservation is under my name...but if you don't know it, it is also under our lord and master's...Madrid Man!!! (Maybe next time, buddy!) :p

I'll see you there!!!! smile smile

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/11/01 05:18 PM

MM- please edit the last two posts together:

At Allegria on Friday from 7-10: Flamenco dance and guitar in the bar! Should be great!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/13/01 02:24 AM

Hey there guys. Looks like I will only be able to stay for an hour. I have something else that I cannot miss later. I will definitely be there at 7 though, long enough to sip some rioja and chat!!

See you then

[ 04-13-2001: Message edited by: Nicole ]

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/13/01 05:52 PM

Nicole it's at 7:45... not 7:00. just an fyi... looking forward to meeting you.

-roses

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/13/01 08:46 PM

damn, damn, damn. I can't make it guys. I have to be at N La Cienega at 8 pm. I am sooo sad. I was really looking forward to this. That's what happens when you only have one car though...

Next time... frown
Posted by: mecky

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/15/01 01:12 AM

Well reading about this great gathering in California about Madrid loving people, I like to see if there are participants on your board that are from the carolinas, maybe even close to Charlotte North Carolina, or to Columbia, South Carolina. I have just finised drinking a a bottle of some given to me while in Madrid Rioja and know I have a terrible need for Madrid.Anybody from the Carolinas having an urge to meet in Charlotte or Columbia. Would love to hear from the East Coast. Have alot to tell about my trip to Madrid and meeting with PUMA but not ready to let got from my mind. Carolina Greetings to all

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/16/01 12:29 AM

Hi Mecky:

You might want to post a new topic, highlighting a possible dinner get together and the city that you are in. You'll automatically attract everyone on the board from your part of town. I will say, we just had our meeting on Friday and everyone was so cool. It was a very nice evening out. I recommend dinner get togethers not only here in the states, but also in Madrid, Spain. Ciao and good luck on putting a dinner group together.

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/16/01 01:15 PM

It was soooo cool to finally meet some of the members!!! Everyone was so very interesting and all your stories were great! I can't wait for the next one!
Nicole, I was so bummed you couldn't make it, I really wanted to meet you! Next time for sure!
The restaurant (Allegria) was great...live Flamenco show, cool decor and pretty good sangria...The menu is definitely latino influenced, we especially loved the "Spanish nachos" wink

I highly recommend starting MM dinner groups across the country, it's great to meet kindred spirits! smile

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/16/01 05:42 PM

At the risk of depressing those who live in areas "sparsely populated" with MM'ers...let me add my dos duros (before we switch to the euro) on Friday night's L.A. dinner:

¡Qué ilusión! I enjoyed meeting laduque (and her charming mother :)), jdowney-who will be walking the camino with her 65 yr old father next month...GO JD!!!!, roses (and her artist friend Warren) who is off to Spain to skate into the olymipics!!!???, as well as renewing acquaintances with Shawn, who's mulling over a trip to bone up on "el castellano puro de Valladolid". Good choice. We spent about 3+ hours just yapping on about whatever. Normally you get those "7-minute lapses" in a group, but not this one. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Allegria is definitely NOT a Spanish restaurant. The menu has paella and jamón serrano on it, and the music that night was flamenco, but as our waiter pointed out, the city of Long Beach is not ready for a full-time 100% traditional Spanish kitchen. Their loss. The food we did get was tasty, though...don't get me wrong, and the service was good.

I really enjoyed the evening, and hope that all present did, too. I believe the next meeting will be in San Diego at laduque's hubby's new restaurant: Costa Brava. As was pointed out at dinner, the $$$ partner had final say in the name, and even though the chef is from Santander, thought Costa Brava was better. confused Oh well, laduque...we're not eating the menu or the marquee! Good luck!

Nicole, you were missed! It's okay, though...they didn't have chorizo on the menu. laugh We'll catch you on the rebound.

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/27/01 01:39 PM

Hey Calibasco:

There's no ??? after Olympics--there has never been anything more definite in my life.

-roses

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/27/01 07:35 PM

congratulations! I am bummed that I didn't get to meet you, and I was of course, really looking forward to putting a face to hte name "Laduque"

We will have to get together again when you come back!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/28/01 07:02 PM

Roses- Go and get it! I'll be watching the games, and looking for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 04/29/01 04:15 PM

Thanks, Calibasco!!!

roses

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 07/30/01 02:18 PM

To all those in the LA area [including Shawn who we haven't seen in some time...lurking?]:

THis may be the event you've waited for in the LA area: Click on the link below for information from the Irvine Barclay Theater on the New World Flamenco Festival: http://www.thebarclay.org/frameset.htm

The tickets vary in price (check the site), but the entertainment looks to be quite good.

Enjoy!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 08/01/01 02:47 PM

Calibasco,
I have been lurking. Although, I have not posted in some time, I have been checking the site regularly. I was glad to read that LA Dinner Club co-founder, Missmadrid98, is fairing well and have enjoyed the ongoing remarks and retorts by Wolf and yourself.
I am planning to spend about a year in Spain beginning in January 2002. I am still working out the particulars so this site is indespensible.
Posted by: Jaime

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 08/01/01 10:21 PM

My husband and I are going to be in Los Angeles next month and I was wondering if any if you Angelinos can give us recommendations of Spanish reaturants to eat at while we're in town.

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 08/02/01 10:17 PM

What part of L.A. will you be in?

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 09/02/01 12:50 PM

Would anyone be interested in getting together next week end? We have a new board memeber that will be heading off to Spain for three months very soon. I thought we could send him off in style!

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 09/02/01 02:32 PM

I am always up for a get together.

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 09/03/01 05:03 PM

Such short notice, I wish I could make it next weekend. I am now working Friday and Saturday nights at my friends new Spanish restaurant here in S.D. and so I will need a few weeks notice to get a night off. Please lets try and plan for one in the near future! smile

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 09/04/01 05:04 PM

I know it is last minute. We might not be able to pull it off. frown My media naranja and I will probably be down in San Diego for a week end in a couple of weeks. We just might have to stop by this new restaurant and catch you in action! laugh

Re: Resurrect the LA Dinner Group! - 09/05/01 10:09 PM

Well, I was thinking we could meet up at La Paella on San Vicente Boulevard at around 7 pm. Something informal. Maybe grab some tapas. What do y'all think?