Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain

Posted by: roses

Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 04/25/01 06:19 PM

I'm going to Madrid for the month of June and July (June 26- July 21). Warren and I would love to put together a dinner or lunch group with other MM.com people who are in Madrid at this time. Let me know if you are interested and what days work for you between the 26 of June -21 of July...roses.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 04/25/01 08:14 PM

HEY!!! GREAT IDEA! I have no doubt SOME of the message board members (or visitors to the message board) will be in Madrid while you're there. If you are able to gather a group I BEG YOU to take photos and send them to me and I'll post them on the site.

By the way, wink www.MM.com goes to Minnesota Micronet, Internet Service Provider in Burnsville, MN, USA. wink I WISH I WAS MM.com!!! I'd be rollin' in dough! cool

Good luck with the "Party WithOUT MadridMan" in Madrid this summer!! To keep up with tradition, you should really have it at on the terraza of El Brillante bar/eatery across Atocha train station and the Ministerio de Agricultura building. It should be a blast!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: druship

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 04/25/01 09:10 PM

June 14 through July 16...count me in Roses. I'll be studying at Eureka language school on Arenal right near Sol. I was thinking I wanted to go entirely native and not speak English at all but the closer this gets, the more it becomes real, and the more I eek freak out. The familiar is comforting at times. I think, but don't know, that lunes - jueves will be best for me, but email me and let's try to get some others' schedules.
Posted by: expressdance

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 04/25/01 11:07 PM

Its probably highly unlikely that I will be able to be included in the fun, but I will be in Madrid on June 30th!!! The next day I am leaving to study in Salamanca, so I don't know if anyone will be around, and available for that day, but I would love to if its convenient!

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 04/26/01 02:17 PM

I'm glad to hear that some of you guys will be in Madrid during the same time. Let's wait to get a few more responses and then we'll try to pick a date where everyone can attend. Ciao...roses.
Posted by: sheba

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 04/29/01 06:38 PM

roses--i will be in madrid from the beginning of june to the 21 of july, so i think i will be able to make it, depends on what others can do.
Posted by: Bobster

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 04/30/01 04:36 AM

Hey all, I will probably be in Madrid until the beginning of July (I've been here since September, and I REALLY want to get back for the 4th of July in Boston!) So if you guys are planning a dinner before then, I would definitely be interested in joining. And I'll scan you some pics MM, don't worry laugh

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/03/01 06:20 PM

How does June 30th sound? I believe that this is on a Sunday. Perhaps we can meet on Madrid time for dinner... 9-11pm. Let me know if any of you know of any good restaurants in Madrid that have flamenco dancing or live entertainment, oh and if this day is good for you...roses

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/04/01 12:46 AM

oops, i accidentally said the 20th, but i meant the 30th. i hope that didn't throw anybody off...roses. (thanks, billy ski wink )

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/04/01 12:36 PM

I'm up for the 30th. Just post up the details and we'll see what we can do.

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/06/01 01:44 AM

Well so far from private e-mails and thread postings... we have seven people included for dinner on the 30th. Of course, we can all bring friends or cool people we meet in Madrid along the way that are totally in love with Madrid. E-mail me your ideas and we'll decide on a location within the next two weeks. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you! Until next time, roses.
Posted by: replay

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/06/01 05:03 PM

I could go, tell me time and place to have the meeting and if I can I will be there..

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/06/01 11:53 PM

Now we have 8 (how cool) cool I can't wait to meet all of you. Check back on Wed. or Thursday for some dinner ideas. Hey, Replay, since you are in Madrid, any suggestions?
-roses

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/07/01 12:49 AM

roses--if all goes well, i will be there as well. what a great thing you've done here! keep us posted. smile
Posted by: Emz

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/07/01 07:51 AM

Hey Roses,

Count me in for now though I might be leaving Madrid on the Saturday which I work out to be the 30th, not the Sunday.
Let me know whether you mean the Sat or the Sun, and we can go from there.
xxx :p

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/07/01 12:43 PM

Oops! That's the second mistake I made on the date... June 30th is a SATURDAY!!! A much better day to hang, than Sunday! Sorry for the confusion. I swear, this is my last mistake... yeah right wink So everyone, the dinner is on Saturday, June 30, 2000 ... I mean 2001 smile !
Posted by: canadiense

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/07/01 01:29 PM

Keep me posted!! I'm supposed to go to "La Olla Caliente" on either the Friday or Saturday night, so if I go on Friday I'd like to meet up with you guys on Saturday. I too am headed to Salamanca on Sunday.

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]
Posted by: sandyvi

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/07/01 07:20 PM

Hey all, how old are all you?? have you met eachother here? Im from Ireland and I will be in Madrid from may 24th until july 22nd. do you know of any cheap apartments there?? i would really help me. you all sound like you have been there about a million times, and know the place inside out!!
sandyvi :p laugh wink cool

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/07/01 07:54 PM

Hi Sandyvi:

We are all different ages and different professions. We actually, or at least I haven't met anyone from our group previously. I did go to a dinner group in Los Angeles and everyone was TOTALLY cool and helpful. I hope that you will be able to join us on June 30th for dinner.

In regards to looking for an apartment... you may want to try roommadrid.com or EASO, which is housing for students... Also, MadridMan has a great link on his web site to InMadrid, which is an English online newsletter which lists room accommodations and apartments to rent. You are looking at spending anywhere from 25,000 to 80,000 pts. per month for a shared flat/piso, and anywhere from 80,000-350,000 for a one-two bedroom apartment. I have some leads I can give you; however, they are quite expensive... 150,000 pts per month for a two bedroom fully furnished apartment. It also has a pool for those hot summer days and nights.

You might consider posting a new topic entitled "Looking for apartment in Madrid, Spain," or something. It will get you more leads... I think. Oh and post it under Hostels, Lodging, etc... People that go to this thread are usually looking for housing.
Good luck and hope to meet you in Spain this summer!!!

roses

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/10/01 07:14 PM

Hey Rosa!
Sure I'll come if I can!! Thanks for your help! I have tried roommadrid.com, but got nothing. Also I tried EASO and got a transportation site. I have failed to find the link on Madridmans website. can u give it to me if u dont mind.

thanks once again.
Sandyvi.

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/10/01 10:39 PM

Sandyvi:

Sorry, I can't find the link for roommadrid...MadridMan, do you know the link for this?

(MadridMan says: I searched the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" forum and found it @ http://www.roommadrid.arrakis.es/index.html )

Here is the web site for EASO: www.easo.net
Here is the web site for InMadrid: http://www.in-madrid.com/classifieds/default.htm

Hostal Fonda Horizonte also has apartments and rents them out... you can get a room there with a bathroom for one month for about 100,000 pts...
Good luck!!!

Okay you guys, we have enough people now for our dinner group. I think that it will be good. Okay here are some of my suggestions... Let me know what you think...
We don't have to have a Spanish restaurant, since of course we are in Spain... the atmosphere is enough... Anyway, I'll put suggestions for both Spanish and non-Spanish restaurants. You guys be the judge...

Vegetarian Restaurant: La Galette-The most plush of Madrid's vegetarian restaurants, with international dishes, some with oriental or Caribbean influences.There are meat and fish dishes for non-vegetarians. Average: 3,000 pts.

El Cenador del Prado: The Herranz brothers produce imaginative, modern Spanish regional cuisine at their restaurant just off Plaza Santa Ana, with many interesting specialities such as patatas con almejas, and a menu de degustacion. The restaurant has the feel of an oasis amid the busy Huertas streets (click here for a picture of Huertas Street - Average 3,500 pts... http://www.madridman.com/fotos/2k/huertas2ka.jpg
I have to go... I'll write more later.

roses...

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/16/01 01:15 AM

Don't know if you were counting me in your total since I'd been away for a few weeks, but would still like to meet with the rest of the group on Sat., June 30th. If vegetarian provides more options for everyone, then I'd be fine with that. It'd be interesting to see what veg/vegan fare they have.
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/16/01 06:42 PM

although I can't join you in Madrid, I can tell you that I absolutely love La Galette,
( by Retiro) the restaurant proposed by roses. The lentil soup is amazing there! It has been one my favorite restaurants for many years. I am so envious! Enjoy !
Posted by: papi

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/17/01 07:52 AM

Id meet anyone who wants too....gonna be in madrid for a 3 weeks june 29 - july 18 i think...somebody holla if they want some compania!
hasta luego

Papi
rolleyes

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/17/01 12:29 PM

Papi:

We'd love to have you join our dinner group on the 30th.... still looking for a place to meet up. Check back on this site at a later date for the time and location.

-roses

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/17/01 02:13 PM

rolleyes

woooooohoooooooooo... laugh

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/21/01 04:31 PM

Firstly I'd like to thank Roses for her help. She doesnt realise how much she has helped me. I have a longer and cheaper stay in Madrid. It's fantastic! THANX

This dinner sounds fun..mayb if everyone met somewhere very well knowm...like Retiro Park. But there are more than one entrance so it would have to very well organised. I can ask my friends for any good meeting places..

hope to c u all soon.
Sandvi

ONLY 3DAYS TO GO...I CANT WAIT!!!

[ 05-21-2001: Message edited by: sandyvi ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/21/01 05:39 PM

Sandy: Did you choose EASO?

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/24/01 08:08 PM

Okay everyone... I'm going to pick a place tonight, so if you have any suggestions make sure to make it soon... if not, it looks like it's going to be La Gallete... I heard this place is the "bomb." laugh If this is the final place, then I will place the address, directions, and time on this site tonight. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you... and what better place to have a MadridMan Dinner Group, then in Madrid. Chau!!! -roses

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/24/01 08:16 PM

FYI- Currently the people interested in attending the dinner are as follows:

Warren
Roses
Druship
Asterault
Connie
Bill + 2
Expressdance
Sheba
Bobster
Replay
Emz
Canadiense
Sandyvi
Tricia
Papi
Joe Piazza
(And anyone else we pick up while we're in Madrid!)

Possibly Four More Really Cool People cool

Antonio (Tal Vez)
Asterault (Tal Vez)
Nevado (Tal Vez)
Majesty318 (Tal Vez)

That's a total of 18 people. Wow, please someone bring a camera or camcorder. Hopefully we can stream it to the MadridMan's web site.

I'll let you guys know the location later tonight... I'm going to pick a location with live entertainment, sangria, and dancing... So I hope that all of you can dance, if not, we'll get you liquored up on Sangria and lure you onto the dance floor. laugh Adios...roses

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/24/01 08:57 PM

You may want to choose TWO locations: one to meet initially, sit down, eat, drink, and talk and then a second destination for the dancing. If you try to combine the two you may end up shouting over the music or straining to hear what others are saying and that's never any fun. frown wink

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/24/01 09:30 PM

eek Ummm... I guess you are right MadridMan. I guess I'll try to find some place nice where we can talk and eat great comida!!! Hey you've been to Madrid a number of times... do you know of any great restaurants for our dinner group? Let me know... Thanks, MadridMan...roses.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/25/01 01:24 AM

Hey Roses! Saludos from Northern California. I'll have my digital camera on hand so we can be sure to get some good shots. I may not be able to send to MM until mid-July when I return, though. I still haven't figured out a way to transfer my camera pics to a public computer; I don't think any cybercafe will let me load my software onto their computers. I'll bring stuff with me just in case, and I am considering getting an Iomega Fotoshow, if anyone has any advice on this, it would be cool. Thanks. Can't wait to meet you all on the 30th! (and be in Madrid, por supuesto)

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/25/01 07:49 PM

Thanks, Druship! I'm soooo stoked. cool

Okay everyone, sorry I didn't get this up for y'all last night. Here is the restaurant and location, with number.

La Galette
C/Conde de Aranda 11 (91 576 06 41)
Metro Retiro/bus all routes to Puerta de Alcala

Dinner has to be at 10pm. They don't start serving till 9pm. Is this okay with everyone?

Cards Accepted: American Express, Discovery,JCB, Mastercard, and Visa.

Looking forward to seeing all of you there.

As we get closer, e-mail me at my personal e-mail address, and I'll send you my number in Madrid, so you can contact me with any questions. Don't forget to mark this date in pen on your calendar!!! wink All the best, roses.

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/29/01 05:33 AM

eek
huh! have a missed something...
i thought this dinner was on june29?
confused

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/29/01 01:45 PM

Hola Papi(interesting name ;)):

Nope, the dinner group is on the 30th at 10:30pm at La Gallette... Plus Papi, you arrive on the 29, you're not going to want to drag your heavily jet lagged derriere off to a dinner party. Rest one night, so we can enjoy the true Papi, and not the jet lagged one. wink Hope that you can still make it... let us know...roses.

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: roses ]
Posted by: Tricia

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/29/01 07:55 PM

Add one more for dinner? I arrive in Madrid on 26 June and I'll be leaving for Salamanca on Sunday morning, 1 July, like some of the rest of you. The dinner group sounds like a great way to finish the week!

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/29/01 09:18 PM

Tricia: You have just been added to our dinner party. Looking forward to meeting you! E-mail me if you have any questions!

-roses

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/30/01 12:10 AM

SOMEONE had BETTER take fotos of this get together *IN* Madrid!!!! Woo Hoo!!! I can't wait to see them!! laugh MAN(!), I wish I could be there. Have fun, all!

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/30/01 06:35 AM

i gotta real dumb question! what happens if i arrive...and for some reason i sit at the wrong table! how will we know whos who?
i had a pic...but its not showing up on my profile!..
eek confused
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/30/01 12:45 PM

Everybody seemed to forget that I am living in Madrid too (see where I am at the bottom of this post). frown

Fortunately, roses was kind enough to send me a private message to invite me smile (thanks, roses).

But now, I was wondering... did someone tell missmadrid about it?. She is supposed to be living in San Lorenzo del Escorial.

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/30/01 02:22 PM

Although I wont be there :(, I did e-mail MissMadrid a few weeks ago to make sure she knew. Or did I just tag it onto a topic she started? Either way, she will have had an e-mail telling her it was on, or an e-mail telling her that someone had replied to her topic. laugh

It would be great to see some photos posted here so that we can all see what everyone looked like and what they got up to that evening. eek eek

Jo

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/30/01 08:08 PM

druship--if you figure out how to transfer your digital camera photos to a public computer, let me know. in fact, if you know how to keep photos you have taken on your digital camera somewhere else, let me know. (i think i have space for only 30 on mine). and remember, i'm mostly math/technology illiterate. thank you. smile
Posted by: Asterault

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/31/01 06:14 AM

Count me in as a 'tal vez', I don't know if I will be in Madrid by then or not.
Posted by: nevado

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/31/01 06:18 AM

Roses, put me down for a definite maybe! Sounds like you've got quite a group going- good job on the planning! smile

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/31/01 02:29 PM

i have a digi cam toooo...
it takes up 2 90shots on one chip :p
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 05/31/01 08:36 PM

Well, I can't make it to the NYC dinner group but I might be able to attend this one. If so I will have a friend with me. I can't say for sure b/c we have NO CLUE what we are doing during our 9 days en Espaņa! So.... as it gets closer if I know for sure I will post here or e-mail you, roses.

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/02/01 12:55 PM

I am so glad that so many of you guys are attending this event. The one thing I love the most about traveling is meeting new people and enjoying a nice dinner in a wonderful cafe in a city filled with so much life and history. For me this is what traveling is all about, and I am so glad that we will have the chance to enjoy each other's company and share so many experiences and ideas of things to do while we are in Madrid. I know that all of you will have to take time out of your holiday to join us, and I think that it is so cool that all of us are doing so. I know that when people are traveling everything is last minute... like where do you want to go for dinner or what do you want to do today. I guess it's nice to have a least one thing planned out. (At least for me anyway.) I'm so looking forward to meeting all of you wonderful people who gave Warren and I so much GOOD advice for our trip. MadridMan this is truly a cool site. You attract really cool and normal people. In fact, this is the only message board I use, in fact, the only message board I've ever used. And for all those maybe's out there, try to turn them into definite yeses (i know you can't say that, but y'all know what i mean laugh!

See you all in a few weeks... Chau chau...

-roses

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/06/01 01:37 AM

I just bought some more compact flash cards so I can store hella pics (up to around 500 on my new one, so we should be okay). I also think I have a computer connection now so that I can do updates to sites I work on AND, for our purposes here, email pics to MM the next day (assuming no resaca)

[I think I'll need to take pics early on in the evening and then cab home to drop off the camera for safekeeping before venturing onward]. It would be so me to drunkenly forget that camera somewhere (not like I did that 2 years ago at the Magic Castle in LA or anything)...

Can't wait to meet everyone!
-dru
Posted by: Asterault

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/12/01 01:37 PM

The dinner looks possible for me (30 Junio, yes?). Where is the restaurant?

We shall feast and be merry.

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/12/01 07:07 PM

Hi Asterault! I am so happy that you will be able to join us! smile The dinner is at a restaurant called La Galette... The address, phone number and directions are in a post a little higher than this one.

Everyone, I will be leaving at the end of this week for my travels... first miami-- for work mad , then New York :), and finally MADRID!!! laugh

Please reconfirm your attendance for the dinner and leave your e-mail address, so I can forward you my Madrid phone number in case there are any last minute cancellations/additions.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you!!! Hasta entonces...roses.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/13/01 05:04 PM

URGENT!!!!!

I've been told La Galette (I) is pretty small so we'd better decide how many people we'll be and make a reservation (my friend told me it may not be big enough for so many people).

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/14/01 10:22 AM

I'm still interested in attending. Is there still going to be the whole drinks at one place, and then dinner at another?

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/15/01 07:48 AM

ROSES...WHATSSSSSSSSSSSS WRONG WITH MIAMI :eek

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/15/01 01:14 PM

Oh Papi... it's not Miami... it's work mad I like Miami, but I never get to enjoy it because I'm always working when I go down there...

Anyway: Antonio has a point everyone. I am going to have to call La Gallette to find out if they can accommodate all of us. So anyone who hasn't reconfirmed, please do so as soon as possible.

Expressdance: the answer to your question:

Originally we were going to do all that in one place, but then after a very good recommendation, we decided to just meet up for drinks at a separate place and then go on to dinner or vice versa. However, it ended up to where we were just going to go to La Gallette. Now, there may not be enough room to accommodate us, so I am going to try to figure this out soon. Check back on the post sometime towards the end of next week, and I will let everyone know the definitive place for dinner. Ciao, ciao...roses.

Catch ya all later...roses

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: CanadaGirl'nVAbyWayofCA

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/15/01 05:25 PM

Hi, I just logged onto this msg board for the 1st time to look up some info on laundry mats in Madrid and came across this string of notes. My boyfriend, his son, daughter and I will be on our way to Spain (by way of Paris) this Friday 6/22. We'll be in Barcelona the 1st week and will fly to Madrid on 6/29. Not sure if you have room for 4 more, or if there is an age limit to the places you are going (youngest is 16). It will be our 1st time in Spain. Bill & I don't speak Spanish, but his kids do...so this should be a blast -- maybe we'll see all of u there cool

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/15/01 07:40 PM

I sent you a private e-mail, but just in case you didn't get it, here is the copy that I sent you previously...

We would totally LOVE to have you join us. There is no age restriction and a family environment is TOTALLY encouraged. Most of the people that use the site are between the ages of 25-65 (I'm assuming) . When I went to a dinner in LA, the average age was 35-45. But, Warren and I are 25 and 29... There is someone attending the dinner group who is 21. And there are adults attending as well who are in their thirties, forties, and fifties (I am assumming). I will send you my madrid number before I leave so you can call me to confirm. But I will make sure that you four are added. Looking forward to meeting you all. Most of us are Americans (so we all speak English), and there are a few natives joining us. Your children can practice their Spanish, as there will be all levels of it at the dinner (beginner to advance). I think it will be great fun. Plus, La Gallette is a VERY nice restaurant. I hope to see you there and enjoy your flight to Paris... all the best, roses.

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/24/01 04:03 AM

Thanks to all those that reconfirmed... I will secure the dinner reservation when I arrive in Madrid on Tuesday. Please check back then. All the best, roses.
Posted by: Martin R.J. Cleaver

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/24/01 04:19 PM

Aww. I canīt make it. Iīll be back in the UK for that weekend.

Can we arrange another one soon, preferably not on a Friday or Saturday as I often fly back for then.

Have a great time :p

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/27/01 03:24 AM

Okay everyone... the time is ALMOST here and I am in wonderful Madrid, as many of you are as well. The dinner will be this weekend Saturday, June 30, 2001) at La Galette:

La Galette
C/Conde de Aranda 11 (91 576 06 41)
Metro Retiro/bus all routes to Puerta de Alcala

Dinner has to be at 10pm.

I have made arrangements for all of us and the reservation or name it will be under will be roses. If you have not already so so, please e-mail me at roseadkins@hotmail.com if you will or will not be attending. I want to make sure that we have enough seats for everyone.

I look forward to meeting all of you and by the way... isnīt the weather wonderful here in Madrid!

See you on Saturday at 10pm...roses.

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/29/01 08:08 AM

Hello Everyone! I am not sure how many of you will read this, but if you do before tomorrow... the dinner has been moved to 10:30pm at La Galette. I hope that this doesnīt throw anyone off. I will be there at ten anyway, just in case some people donīt receive this message. See you all tomorrow...roses.

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/29/01 08:49 AM

HAVE A GREAT TIME IN MADRID, EVERYONE!!!!!

I REALLY wish I could attend the party. Someone, PLEASE have a bocadillo de calamares in my memory and hoist (at least ONE!) glass of Mahou beer too. laugh

Hope someone takes photos!!!
Posted by: billy ski

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/29/01 11:11 AM

Dear Rose: It sounds as if it will be a Great Gathering in Madrid tommorow night. I do wish Kathi and I could be there but alas we had our evening with you. Good Luck to you & Warren and Enjoy. You are to be complimented for your efforts in putting this together and Trans-Atlantic yet! It will be a ball I'm sure. All our love, Bill Ski & Kathi laugh laugh laugh

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/29/01 06:36 PM

thanx roses!:
ill be there!

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/29/01 08:44 PM

Hey!!! Whomever is reading this, Have a GREAT time together in Madrid, group!!!

And I was VERY surprised Anchovy Front didn't have ANY input into this thread! He and his wife will be in Madrid all weekend!! Maybe he's planning on making a SURPRISE visit!!?? Hope so. Have fun, all! MAN! Wish I could be there!
Posted by: replay

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 06/30/01 04:00 PM

I will do the best to be there!!!, I am now at home and I didnīt know if I would be free for this day...

I am taking my digital camera Madridman!!! wink

I hope to meet more Madrid(man) lovers like me. See you there!

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/01/01 08:50 AM

Well, we had our dinner last night and it was totally interesting. We had a total of 13 people show up... however, only 6 rsvpīd, so I only made reservations for 7. We were able to seat three more people at our table, which came to ten. Then Cheba and Papi showed up, but there was no more room for them at our table, so they had to sit at another table away from us mad. Then Warren came (last), but Dru had to leave, so Warren took his seat. It was at a very nice restaurant in a very nice neighborhood in Madrid. Although we didnīt really talk about Madrid, we enjoyed sweet conversations about our lives, our future, and our aspirations. We were a really good group. After, all of us, including Cheba and Papi went to a local bar to drink some cool Spanish beer. I, roses, was dared to down mine... get this, I didnīt even throw up. cool After our beer fest, some of us continued our night on to a nightclub called Gabana, but we unfortunately were not dressed to a T, so we went somewhere else and danced there for about an hour. Finally, we decided to all call it a night, but then Flem decided to try one more club near my apartment on Gran Via called Cool... I guess here we were cool enough to get in, because we were able to walk right in at 3:00am and get free admission, we even jetted up to the VIP room ... itīs amazing that whatīs not at some places is hot at others. Anyway, it turned out to be a very nice evening and I enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks for joining Warren, my friend and not husband (as some had thought), and me for a wonderful night in Madrid. Until next time...roses.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/01/01 09:56 AM

I'm so very happy some of the message board members were able to join and enjoy themselves in Madrid last night. I'm greeeeeen with envy! laugh

Thanks to replay ( Real Name: Rafael <-His website), we now have photos of last night's dinner!!!

There are 9 photos: CLICK HERE for the index.

1) rosesdin.jpg
2) rosesdin2.jpg
3) rosesdin3.jpg
4) rosesdin4.jpg
5) rosesdin5.jpg
6) rosesdin6.jpg
7) rosesdin7.jpg
8) rosesdin8.jpg
9) rosesdin9.jpg

(for some stupid reason, the/my Geocities account housing these images won't let me link directly to the images)

Replay gave me names of many, but thought it would be fun if you all claimed yourselves upon seeing them. After collecting all the names, I'll index them here in this thread. laugh

Saludos, MadridMan (who is oh-so-happy to be "MadridMan"! smile )

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: billy ski

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/01/01 10:46 AM

Dear Rose: You are to be complimented on the wonderful job you did in putting your MM.com dinner gathering.Plus it was done TranAtlantic. The reservation situation is sometimes unavoidable and such is the "Foibles" of us all.I am so happy for you & Warren that everything worked out and you all enjoyed a good time.Enjoy Espana & keep in touch. Love Bill Ski laugh
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/01/01 04:01 PM

I was so happy to hear you all had a good time at La Galette last night. I was thinking of you all. I LOVED seeing the pictures (and so quickly too!)and seeing the menu for the restaurant..it brought back lots of wonderful memories of when we used to go to La Galette...it looks the same! Anyway...thanks for keeping us all posted! esperanza smile
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/05/01 11:16 AM

What a happy looking bunch of people you are! I was in Madrid that night, as it happens, but it wasn't until the last minute that we made that choice, as we were going to stay in Aranjuez. I know how difficult it is to organise something like your dinner, roses, as I seem to get lumbered with that down here, so I didn't want to say that we would come if we couldn't make it.

It turned out that we got into Madrid in time to check in, see the parade in Sol (which was great!) and we could have had time to go along to the restaurant even if it was just for a drink and meet you all. I couldn't remember the name of the restaurant either, so the two of us had a mini tapas crawl and swore to do it right next time there is a gathering such as this! Glad you enjoyed it! smile
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/05/01 11:33 AM

Anchovy

(sorry MM I'm digressing, but it wont be for long rolleyes )

How was the Sultan of Swing?

Who was in the band, do you know? Who was the bass player? Or were you too busy thinking about whether you could make it to M&S (or have they already closed down?)

Expect you had a great time anyway.

MM - have you got names for the people on the photos yet?

Jo

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/05/01 12:34 PM

No names yet, Jo-Anne (except for the obvious ones, at least to me, for Antonio and Replay). I suppose when everyone comes back from their trip they'll be loud and clear about who/which they were. smile
Posted by: canadiense

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/21/01 08:22 AM

Okay, to claim my identity, I am the guy in the photos with blond hair (on the top anyway). As much as I tried to blend in, there is no hiding the fact that in Spain I am easily identified as a "guiri".

A big thanks to Roses for putting this dinner together. Let's do it again next year! laugh

BTW - I stayed at the Hotel Mediodia, which is right beside the famous El Brillante bar across from Atocha. The price and location of this hotel are both excellent.

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/21/01 04:00 PM

Ooh everyone hurry up and put your names! I am playing guessing games and want to see if I'm right... except I don't know who was there except roses, Warren, replay, and Antonio.... I almost attended, I wish I had: we arrived that night and I asked my friend if she wanted to go, but she declined. I don't know why since she is as obsessed with Spain as all the rest of us, but hopefully there will be another NYC dinner to make up for it.

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/24/01 05:43 PM

okay... to claim myself...i am the one with long black hair and a yucky scar on my arm... thanks to my evil dog fantasia...

you're welcome canadaniese and thanks to everyone who attended. and canadaniese... definitely next year! wink
Posted by: missmadrid98

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/24/01 07:03 PM

sorry i didnīt make it i was in santader for 5 days. i will definitely catch you guys next time or maybe we can set up a dinner for those that live here or something, me and rhonda are always down for meeting new people!!

Re: Dinner Group in Madrid, Spain - 07/31/01 01:06 AM

I feel so horrible at taking so long to reply. Getting back into the swing of things. How come there are no photos of Sheba? Anyway, i'm in #3, el chico en blanco...Roses, I am so sorry I had to leave early BUT as it turned out, the person I was meeting and I went to Chueca for pride festivities (por supuesto), had "mini's" (which are anything but) and she then introduced to me to one of her close friends. He in turn invited me to go with him and some OTHER friends to Granada the following weekend...(and la playa at Al Muneca)...it was fabulous...as are you. I'm sorry I didn't get to hang with you all longer. Sheba filled me in on the rest of the evening the following Sunday at the Rastro. She introduced me to this amazing little bar right near there. We drank the afternoon away, partly because we were too lazy to move, but mostly because we had to wait a few hours for more paella to be made, as we had talked right through the first serving. Later we sat out front on the dirt sidewalk and petted stray dogs, watched lovers roll around right next to us, and have a motorbike roar up inches away from us and just park there. As we told the surprisingly apologetic driver, no pasa nada.
I hope to return next year and would love a chance to break bread again...(though no veggie burgers)
Best,
Dru