Movie: The Way

Posted by: jazz

Movie: The Way - 10/07/11 07:19 AM

Who's seen the movie "The Way" by Martin Sheen?
What did you make of it? I'm very interested...

Posted by: jacmom

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/07/11 10:42 AM

Jazz, "The Way" makes it's US premiere on October 13 in Indianapolis www.trulymovingpictures.org/theway.

I hope that some of my friends in 'Indy' will be going. I will check with them to see and try to get a report.

It has been released in Spain already, hasn't it?

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/07/11 11:56 AM

Thanks jacmon!

Perhaps, I'm going to do "the Way" next year, from Irun.
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/07/11 03:26 PM

I have seen "The Way" by Martin Sheen. I loved it for the Spanish scenery and the storyline. Some people might find it a little sentimental, but I'm that kind of a person and it was very special. I would like to do the Camino and have set 4 years from now as my goal to do the full route. I am debating, if I come to Spain next summer, a mini camino. So, Jazz, if you do the Way next year, you must provide a full report!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/08/11 07:05 AM

I haven't seen "The Way" but will look for it. Did they release it in Spain? I think I recall seeing movie posters around, but not for long. Will have to try to find it. I have no doubt the scenery is beautiful in the movie from this part of Spain. Can't wait to return to see it for myself.

UPDATE: I've just watched the trailer (above) for the first time and I'm "sold". I want to see this movie. Isn't it amazing how similarly-looking father-son are now in their older age?

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/18/11 04:18 PM

My friends have not answered about the movie. TT8 did you see it in Spain last spring or in the USA?

Thanks MM for embeding the trailer!

I thought it was out in Spain earlier this year, but they had been having trouble getting a distributor in the USA and that is why there had been a delay - just what I had read online some time ago.

I will need to call one of our local theaters to see if it is coming to Salt Lake City. Maybe one of the independent theaters will book it.

If anyone hears about the movie "Rescue", go see it. It has nothing to do with Spain, but my niece is in it. It is a 3D movie about private and military recues into Haiti after the earthquake. She is the Air Force Captain flying supplies.

Posted by: la historiadora

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/18/11 09:46 PM

My friends and I just saw "The Way" this weekend and we all really liked it. It was very heartfelt, and the scenery and the photography was gorgeous. I've also wanted to do the Camino for a long time, although I might first start with a "mini Camino" as teachertraveler8 suggested. smile

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/19/11 12:00 PM

The link MM provided can tell you where it is playing in your area. It arrives in Metro-Detroit on Oct. 21 so I will go see it again soon in the theater here.

Enjoy! I am looking at airfares to Spain for the summer and they are so HIGH now. (Much higher than last year) I would love to plan a mini-camino, but I'm not sure if I'll make it over there in 2012.

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/30/11 05:46 PM

We just returned from seeing this movie in the theater. It was so good! I can't wait to plan my own camino journey. It is playing at the major theaters in the Metro Detroit area, but it will be interesting to see how long they keep it. While I was waiting in line, some women behind me said, "I want to see 'The Way' but I know nothing about it."

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/31/11 03:59 PM

It is here, playing at 3 different theaters. We went last Wednesday afternoon and there were only a total of 5 in the theater, but it was 4 oclock on a Wednesday!

We all liked it. Great scenery. Emphasized spirituality, not Catholicism, although lead character is Catholic.

Friends are planning to go next fall for a week - maybe I'll get them earplugs!

Re: Movie: The Way - 05/21/13 09:44 AM

I'm THRILLED this movie is going to be broadcast on "La 2" (TVE2) tomorrow/Wednesday night at 10pm Spain time. Fortunately, I'll be able to watch it in its original version, but you can watch it (probably!) online, in Spanish, at http://www.rtve.es/television/la-2-directo/ .

I can't wait! I can't wait!! yeah Haven't seen it yet as it wasn't shown in Spain (oddly enough, as far as I noticed). Woo Hoo!!

Saludos, MadridMan bounce
Posted by: chivasusa

Re: Movie: The Way - 05/21/13 10:44 PM

I saw it last year on the big screen in Houston. It's a splendid movie especially for people who feel about Spain the way we do.

Emilio Estevez has also written an autobiography (co-written with Martin Sheen) titled "Along The Way", which although it's not specifically about this movie, it does cover the story of making this movie and will be interesting to many of you.

Re: Movie: The Way - 05/29/13 05:15 PM

Thanks for the tip. I am reading the book now and enjoying it immensely!

Re: Movie: The Way - 12/25/13 07:59 PM

Oh, no! Remember the last scene in this movie where the group continues on to the monastery on the coast? If it's the same one, a nearby transformer was struck by lightning on Christmas day and the 300-year old monastery was totally ruined.

Article in English at http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/12/25/inenglish/1387998513_647092.html

"The A Virxe de Barca monastery in Muxia, Galicia, was left in ruins on Christmas Day apparently after the spread of a fire caused by a lightning strike on a nearby electrical transformer. The emergency services received a call at 8.30am on Wednesday reporting that the sanctuary, an emblematic location for pilgrims on northern Spain's Costa da Morte, had been engulfed by flames. Fire crews and volunteers battled the blaze, but to no avail. There was no way to stop it, said the mayor of Muxia, in A Coruña province, adding the sanctuary was ruined.
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Movie: The Way - 12/30/13 05:56 PM

That is so sad! On Christmas morning I got a whatsapp message from my cousin with a photo of the fire! We had just gone there last summer together. What a spectacular setting. I wonder if they will rebuild it?

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/27/14 04:13 PM

Not words!
Posted by: Puna

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/27/14 06:24 PM

In tears ....

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/08/14 05:44 AM

Congratulate them on having managed to get there. clap

http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/e...Noticia-878969/

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/08/14 09:38 AM

Bravo!!
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/09/14 06:27 AM

nice story indeed. I have an English friend doing the camino next week. Not Steve ::)

cheers
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/24/14 09:06 PM

Did anyone notice the parallels between "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Way"?

Here is an interesting interview with father and son touching on the subject.
Estevez Interview
Posted by: laduque

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/25/14 06:18 AM

I never noticed the parallels but after reading this interview...wow! I saw the movie, again, on the plane home from a month in Spain just Wednesday. I bawled the whole time knowing I was leaving Spain for a while and wanting soooo badly to make my own camino very soon. This movie touches me every time!

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/25/14 09:06 AM

Great interview, Mongo; thanks soooooo much!

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/25/14 06:26 PM

I was watching it with a friend and when they met the Irish writer surrounded by hay bales it clicked-"Wizard of Oz"! Then I googled it and it was confirmed.

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/28/14 01:43 PM

The Camino de Santiago is clearly a spiritual journey for everyone - and not just for those in the movie, but for all those hundreds of thousands whom have made it on their own.

Never considered the Wizard of Oz similarities but, but they are clearly there. How does the gipsy robery work in to the Wizard of Oz, though?? Maybe I should watch it again. (W.o.O., that is)

"The Way" is one of those movies you can watch again and again and never tire of it. In fact, it touches you EVERY time.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Movie: The Way - 08/07/14 01:45 PM

'Cos I can't find the original thread about "I'll Push You" ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/06/justin-skeesuck-patrick-gray_n_5648977.html

MM, can you perform magic and activate the Huff post link please; got me as to why I can't.

Posted by: esperanza

Re: Movie: The Way - 08/07/14 02:08 PM

Here you go, Puna, here is the link to the Huffington Post article

What an inspirational story! I hope they can make the documentary. smile

Re: Movie: The Way - 08/07/14 06:25 PM

Thanks, Esperanza.
Posted by: laduque

Re: Movie: The Way - 08/11/14 12:48 PM

That is inspirational! The Camino is calling more and more each day. I can't read a story about it without being emotionally pulled.
Posted by: Crisco

Re: Movie: The Way - 08/12/14 11:30 AM

Years ago I remember reading a book, The Camino by Shirley Mcclaine. She was always a little odd to me but I was amazed that she undertook to do the camino and wrote about it (2000).People along the way respected her privacy and even helped shield her from photographers.Kudos to Shirley!
A good read if you can find it!

Re: Movie: The Way - 08/12/14 02:40 PM

I watched The Way again after reading this thread. Cried just as consistently as the first time but nuances and bits of super photography become more apparent with each viewing.
Posted by: robbieroy

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/14/14 10:45 AM

For folks in the UK, this will be shown on TV soon: BBC 2, Saturday 18th October at 11.15 pm
RR

Re: Movie: The Way - 11/19/14 11:07 PM

During my recent journey on Iberia Airline, The Way was featured prominently on the in seat-entertainment system, along with a related documentary about the Camino.
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Movie: The Way - 07/25/15 12:18 AM

Just watched this a month ago. Having done the Camino, it meant a lot from a personal perspective. We all truly travel the camino for different reasons. Sometimes those reasons don't become apparent until after we're done, sometimes they do. Either way, it changes us.
Posted by: chivasusa

Re: Movie: The Way - 09/18/15 05:46 PM

Very disturbing that Denise Thiem who was inspired by The Way, was attacked when she came to Spain. Some have suggested that a woman alone should not be on the pilgrimage. I think this is not the case. This was an isolated incident and the criminal is in jail. I feel very bad for her family and friends. RIP
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Movie: The Way - 09/25/15 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By CaliBasco
Just watched this a month ago. Having done the Camino, it meant a lot from a personal perspective. We all truly travel the camino for different reasons. Sometimes those reasons don't become apparent until after we're done, sometimes they do. Either way, it changes us.

Hola Calibasco,
I remember your wonderful travelogue of your travel in the Camino. I still have not made it. But still have hopes, with my walker. grin
Cariños,
Booklady
Posted by: Nicole

Re: Movie: The Way - 10/25/15 12:06 PM

Calibasco, are you one of the Madridman friends I had dinner with when I first moved to LA? I just returned to this site after quite a few years. I also did the Camino last year!!!!

"The Way" is such a sweet movie. I think the documentary "Six Ways to Santiago" is an even better representation of the actual experience. If you haven't seen it, you can rent or buy it. I was sad to hear about Denise. I walked alone for big portions and remember feeling so blissed out one afternoon that it was just me and the mountain and how wonderful it was to be able to do that as a woman. I hope that it's an isolated incident. I felt very safe.

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/05/16 10:51 AM

I love it..

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/05/16 07:07 PM

Jazz - I love it too.

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/05/16 09:30 PM

I am finally walking the Camino! Leaving for Paris in 13 days and starting in St. Jean Pied de Port on June 23. My 22 year old son is going with me. I can't wait. I will report back in August.
Posted by: robbieroy

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/06/16 02:12 AM

Nice one teachertraveler8! - wishing you all the best for the trip. Hopefully you can post some pictures too.
Wouldn't it be great if you were able to post updates whist on the trip.
RR

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/06/16 07:45 PM

Sorry - double post

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/06/16 07:45 PM

How absolutely FANTASTIC, Teacher Traveler! Woot Woot for both of you and those of us connected to you on FB absolutely expect to see pics of your progress.

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/09/16 08:50 AM

¡Buen camino, Puna!.I can't wait for your shots.

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/09/16 12:15 PM

Jazz, I only wish I was the one walking the Camino. Teacher Traveler and her son are the folks who will, hopefully, be sharing photos of their journey. smile
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Movie: The Way - 06/12/16 06:12 AM

wonderful trip indeed teachertraveler8, enjoy the Way and St James...!
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port is wonderful I have pictures in my blog
https://paris1972-versailles2003.com/2014/08/26/deep-pyrenees-at-saint-jean-pied-de-port/

I have not done it on foot but done by car ::)
Best of luck

Re: Movie: The Way - 08/13/18 05:27 AM

I NEVER get tired of this movie and recommend it to everyone who has any interest in Spain. It brings tears to my eyes every time without fail. I'm also proud to know several people who have done "El Camino" themselves. Buen Camino, my friends. Buen Camino. Not only towards Santiago, but in life... smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA6aq85WhXU

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Arturo

Re: Movie: The Way - 08/14/18 10:07 AM

MadridMan

I also have friends who have walked El Camino. I never got around to seeing the movie. Now I can watch it tonight.

Thanks....

It is good to see your recent posts.