El País Internet Edition Gratis Again

Posted by: arthurg

El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/06/05 10:32 PM

Last Saturday I happened to be in the Instituto Cervantes library in New York City glancing through the Friday editon of El País. Luckily I noticed an article indicating that beginning that very day access to most of their internet edition is free of charge once again. The website is www.elpais.es.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 04:53 AM

SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!! Thanks A LOT for the tip!!! Woo Hoo!!! I wonder if this is just for the summertime in order to lure more online readers and then, BAM!, start charging again for access in the autumn. Regardless, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Fernando

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 08:47 AM

I understand your happiness but, frankly, I don't want El País not even for free laugh

It's a joke, I read it as frequently as I can to understand their political views. I must admit, though, that they manipulate information as much as they can (even more than other spanish newspapers=.

Fernando
Posted by: TJGuy

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 09:24 AM

yeah baby...somethin' else for free . . . Libertad Digital is a good one page rag but they sure do like to beat up the PSOE... and reading ABC makes me feel like it is 1934 again.... thanks for the heads up!!!

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 10:03 AM

Fernando wrote:
Quote:
I understand your happiness but, frankly, I don't want El País not even for free
I understand completely, Fernando. You feel about El País just as I feel about ABC. smile But we've got to keep one eye on the other side to see what they're up to.

I always love & laugh when comparing papers' attendance records for the demonstration-of-the-day. Depending on which side is sponsoring the demonstration, one paper will quote (a possibly inflated) 500,000 persons and the other paper will quote (a possibly undervalued) 100,000. Too funny. laugh This happens in either paper for EVERY demonstration, no matter which side sponsors it.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Puna

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 10:32 AM

Wonderful response MM laugh

Sort of like watching/listening to PBS, BBC, CNN & the various network news - and then realizing eek there is FOX - home of 'purported news' as a friend in the biz dubbed it .... eek

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 02:09 PM

I completely agree with you MM: I can't stand either El País or ABC. What I really hate is when a newspaper tries to convince me of its objectiveness when we all now how they deal with information.

The problem with El País is not their leftist bias (any newspaper has a certain bias), but that it is the unique newspaper which doesn't hesitate to lie if they fit their business purposes. It is a pitty that it is a monopoly (concentrates all leftist readers, with the exception of those of El Periódico de Cataluña).

I recommend to read as many newspapers as possible to get a good idea of the whole thing smile

Fernando

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 02:18 PM

Fernando wrote:
Quote:
I recommend to read as many newspapers as possible to get a good idea of the whole thing
That's THE BEST advice anyone could give. smile

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 07:39 PM

I've always wondered why in the world El Pais(a leftist newspaper)charges people for viewing their online edition.Isn't this a capitalist(right wing)tactic? confused
Posted by: desert dweller

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 08:53 PM

El Marques: Just because they are left wing does not mean that they are stupid. There are people who will pay, so charge them. It is like any woman standing on the street corner in any city in the world will tell you, "why give it away when men will pay for it." They know they are sitting on a gold mine. laugh
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/07/05 10:24 PM

Yes desert dweller,it's an obvious scheme to increase their subscriptions.But it seems that is not working because they are "gratis" again.

Other than the color pictures,I didn't see anything special about the newspaper.They express the views of the PSOE,the party in power,but to me that doesn't warrant having to pay for online viewing.

Thumbs down for EL PAIS! laugh
Posted by: arthurg

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/09/05 11:40 PM

I don't pretend to be well versed or up to speed on the political biases of El País or any other newspapers in Spain. My interest in El País is as a student of the Spanish language and as such enjoy reading the paper because grammatically speaking it seems to be well written. Every time I read a piece in the paper I seem to add at least a word or two to my Spanish vocabulary and as such it seems to be worthwhile especially when I compare El País to the Spanish-language tabloids we have in New York City where I live. I also enjoy their coverage of the arts. It similiar I think to the reasoning wherein I suggest to people learning English that they read the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal no matter what they may think of these papers' politics, ie they are well-written examples of the English language.

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/10/05 01:58 PM

Of course arthurg! Reading newspapers is a very good way to improve your reading skills in spanish.

And El País is as good as any other for this purpose. Just don't think you are going to find the absolute truth in its papers (nor that you were going to find in any other newspaper either) wink

I think MM has a compendium somewhere in his site to find on-line newspapers (some of them have an english version) if you're interested.

Fernando
Posted by: Booklady

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/11/05 11:59 AM

Fernando said:
Quote:
Just don't think you are going to find the absolute truth in its papers (nor that you were going to find in any other newspaper either)
Well said, Fernando!! Applause!

I think you have to read at least 10 to 20 to finally get close to the facts, if you are lucky!

Re: El País Internet Edition Gratis Again - 06/11/05 12:45 PM

And then there is the fact that no matter how many newspapers you read it is impossible to guess the truth Booklady wink

But at least it is possible to come close to it.

Fernando