"Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie

Posted by: arthurg

"Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 11/30/04 11:57 AM

After having recently seen "Abre Los Ojos" in my Spanish class. I became a big fan of Spanish Director Alejandro Amenábar. Last weekend in Madrid I saw his latest film "Mar Adentro" with wonderful actor Javier Bardem in the lead role. Once again Amenábar wrote the script and composed the music. In spite of my less than perfect Spanish, I thought "Mar Adentro" was superb. (Obviously they show the movie without English subtitles in Madrid.) Just wanted to pass this along to my fellow MadridMan members. (I'm not sure if "Mar Adentro" has opened yet outside of Spain.)
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 11/30/04 12:16 PM

I too have heard only great things about this film. My ladyfriend in Madrid saw it and said it was quite moving and brings up many social & moral issues that should be addressed. I can't wait to see it too but not sure WHEN or IF it will ever come to Columbus, Ohio. Maybe I can catch it this New Years during my next visit or at least see it on DVD if it's "there" yet.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: el viajero

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 12/19/04 11:06 AM

Javier Bardem was on PBS's THE CHARLIE ROSE SHOW this week to talk about the film, which suggests it may be released in the U.S. sometime soon.
Posted by: esperanza

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 12/20/04 07:51 AM

El Mar Adentro ( the sea inside) has been released here in NY...Limited release so far though.

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 12/27/04 09:06 AM

NPR.org just had a segment interviewing the lead actor for Mar Adentro. You can LISTEN to the interview (in English) by clicking THIS LINK , scroll to the bottom, and click the audio link for "Bardem Portrays Quadriplegic's Struggle in 'Sea'":
Quote:
In the new film The Sea Inside, Spanish actor Javier Bardem plays Ramon Sampedro, a 55-year-old quadriplegic who fought the Spanish government for 30 years for the right to die. NPR's Renee Montagne talks to Bardem about the mental and physical challenges of the role.
Very interesting interview about the movie and the story. It hasn't come to Columbus, Ohio, USA yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/01/05 03:51 PM

Well, I started the new year "in Galicia" (sort of) by going to see Mar Adentro! It truly is a wonderful film. Of course it was a hit in Spain...it is a magnificent story and Amenábar's vision is,without a doubt, so vivid. I absolutely loved it and loved hearing the accents and seeing the Galician countryside. If you have not seen this film, you really should try to see it. It seems to only be at one theatre in NYC, which surprised me.

I have seen this movie on some film critics' best movies of 2004 lists...it is very deserving of this honor.

If you liked some of the music in the movie, you may want to go to Carlos Nuńez website to read a bit about the wonderful music of Galicia.

I really hope that many people in the USA get to see this film! I think it is very deserving of the many awards it has already won.
Posted by: jlramos

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/15/05 07:25 PM

Just saw it today. Best movie I've seen all year! I was actually crying for most of it. Javier Bardem deserves an Oscar. NY & LA people, GO SEE IT!! It's really, really , really good. Trust me, I am member # 337! cool

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/17/05 11:19 AM

It was so wonderful to see Mar Adentro win the Golden Globe award last night! Now, maybe the movie will have more of a distribution in the US...I hope so!
Posted by: Murdy

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/17/05 06:05 PM

By the way, what do you think of how they translated the title (The Sea Inside)? It's not literal, but I think it's interesting and suggestive.
Posted by: David K

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/18/05 08:54 AM

I thought that was a literal translation until you mentioned it. According to wordreference, "mar adentro" means "out to sea", which is quite different from "the sea inside". For those who have seen it, would "Out to Sea" have been a more appropriate English title?

Edit: wait, "sea inside" is the literal translation (if mar = sea, and adentro = inside). But, apparently, this is not what the phrase "mar adentro" means....so by translating literally, they've changed the meaning.
Posted by: Murdy

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/18/05 02:26 PM

You're right. I didn't express myself very well. What I meant to say was that it was probably too literal and not translated accurately. What I don't know is if that was done on purpose or not! You never know sometimes! smile Intentional or not, I kind of like it, even though it sounds a little odd (How about "The Sea Within"?).
Posted by: Eddie

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/18/05 03:19 PM

esperanza writes:
Quote:
It was so wonderful to see Mar Adentro win the Golden Globe award last night! Now, maybe the movie will have more of a distribution in the US...I hope so!
For sure! cool
It was awarded the Golden Globe for best foreign language film - but that shouldn't deter any of us who are fluent in Castellano. rolleyes
Posted by: salamanca02

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/24/05 10:11 PM

I have heard so much about this movie, but have yet to see the listings for it.... i live in northern california...anyone know when this movie comes out in this area???? i cannot wait to see it!

Muchas gracias laugh
Posted by: Emilio J

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/24/05 10:23 PM

Quote:
I thought that was a literal translation until you mentioned it. According to wordreference, "mar adentro" means "out to sea", which is quite different from "the sea inside". For those who have seen it, would "Out to Sea" have been a more appropriate English title?

Edit: wait, "sea inside" is the literal translation (if mar = sea, and adentro = inside). But, apparently, this is not what the phrase "mar adentro" means....so by translating literally, they've changed the meaning
Yes, you're right. The appropiate translation would be "Out to Sea" for "Mar Adentro".

If the title was "El mar adentro", that could be translated "The Sea Inside".

But that's nothing...don't ask about the spanish translation of american movie titles... ehem rolleyes

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 01/31/05 09:23 PM

"The Sea Inside Hogs a Bland Goya Gala"
-- El País Herald English Edition , Tuesday February 1, 2005

"Alejandro Amenábar's drama about euthanasia broke all records, taking 14 Film Academy awards."

And I watched it all LIVE!

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 02/28/05 08:39 AM

Hey! I didn't even watch the Oscars last night - forgot they were even on, to tell you the truth - but am happy to hear (from pim!) that this (apparently) wonderful movie won the Best Foreign Film award. Congratulations, Alejandro!!!!!!

Now, if the movie would just come to Columbus, Ohio!! I'd LOVE to see it! Maybe now that they've won. We'll see.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 02/28/05 11:44 AM

I totally share Madridman's sentiments about this movie and was overjoyed to see Amenábar win the Oscar. I first saw "Mar Adentro" in Madrid last fall while attending language classes there. It was the first time I ever went to a movie theatre to see a film in Spanish without English subtitles. Even here in New York City, the movie is being shown in only one location. I would imagine that there will be wider distribution all over beginning Friday.

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 02/28/05 01:19 PM

MadridMan, Too bad you did not get to see the moment Spain won last night...you would have loved to see Gwyneth Paltrow's enthusiastic awarding of the Oscar to Amenábar...it was obvious she was thrilled that Spain won! I read recently that she spent time in Talavera de la Reina studying for a year ( or a semester) many years ago, and she loves Spain! When she announced the winner...she said "and the Oscar goes to Espańa "
Posted by: Puna

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 02/28/05 03:12 PM

Don't know if anyone else got a bit teary eyed when Gwyneth Paltrow made the comment about the Oscar going to Espana - I certainly did! :o Although, to be honest, the people I was watching with expected nothing else! A most deserved award and recognition for a brilliant and beatiful film!

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 02/28/05 03:32 PM

DARNIT! mad What a shame I missed is. Surely I can find the clip on the internet somewhere.. or see it tonight on TVEi!!!

Mmmmm.. Gwyneth Paltro... Mmmmm.. :p I think she's my favorite actress.... Mmmmm... I've heard her speak in what seemed to be perfect Spanish in interviews and I thought, "WOW! She's even MORE attractive now!" I knew she studied in Spain, I thought in Toledo but Talavera de la Reina is in the Toledo province - not in the city itself.

Again, Congratulations to Alejandro Amenábar and also to Javier Bardem!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 02/28/05 04:05 PM

I was quite surprised and taken by Gwyneth's enthusiam when she announced the winner, I had to rerun it several times on our TiVo.

It was quite a special night for Hispanos as Selma Hayek and Penelope Cruz were presenters together for mixed sound. Selma also introduced Antonio Banderas as he sang the song "El Otro Lado del Rio" from the movie "The Motorcyle Diaries". He was accompanied by Carlos Santana. Antonio's got a wonderful voice, both he and Santana were great! The song was composed by Jorge Drexler of Uruguay.

Check out the interesting comments regarding the song and composer as well as why Antonio was chosen to sing.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/oscars/news/apo/20050228/110961750000.html

PS: My niece is a dead ringer for Selma Hayek! I just had to brag! wink laugh
Posted by: Espanalover

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 03/01/05 12:23 AM

Why were you surprised? She lived in Spain for a while with a host family. I read a magazine that did a spread on her and her spanish family!

So glad this movie won, however i still have yet to see it
Posted by: rebelgirl

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 03/02/05 12:55 AM

I am delighted that The Sea Inside won the Oscar for best foreign film. It is a truly remarkable film. I wish that the Academy nominated Javier Bardem for his extraordinary performance. I have seen the film twice and look forward to buying a copy of the dvd when it comes out. I told many people to see this film and they have all loved it. I am curious about one thing. It was obvious that JB did not attend the Oscar ceremony on Sunday night. I was wondering if anyone knew why that was. In the meantime, now that the film has won the Oscar I hope that more people will go to see it.

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 03/30/05 09:34 PM

(originally posted by member Eduardo Corrida on 03-30-2005 08:00 PM)

I wonder why Mar Adentro was translated as "The Sea Inside" when in reality, it should be translated as "Out to Sea" as that is what is truly means.

--------------------
A triunfar en buena lid, defendiendo tu color
Posted by: Agent Sands

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 05/27/05 04:45 PM

I have read that Javier Bardem will star opposite Viggo Mortensen of "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in the film adaptation of Spanish author Arturo Perez-Reverte's Capitan Alatriste novel. Another Spanish actor, Eduardo Noriega of "Thesis" and "Abre los Ojos" fame will be in the film as well. Can't wait to see it next year.
Posted by: madridmadridmadrid

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 05/27/05 06:39 PM

Viggo was spotted at Chocolateria San Gines by my SO during Semana Santa. I believe they were filming at the time.

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 05/27/05 09:11 PM

"Mar Adentro" was here in Columbus for about 2 days and I missed it. mad Guess I'll have to see it on DVD - if I can find it. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 05/29/05 09:57 PM

Amazon is usually very good about having titles such as "Mar Adentro" available for sale. If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to look for a copy here in New York City & ship it to you. I plan to buy a copy for myself anyway.

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 06/05/05 10:10 PM

Today I purchased a DVD of this movie at one of the Barnes & Noble superstores in New York City. It cost $27.99, but B&N is having a special promotion through the end of the month. If you buy two DVDs, you get a third one free (ie the one that is least expensive). So I also treated myself to a copy of Almodóvar's "Bad Education" ($26.99) as well as a special edition of Fred Astaire's classic "Band Wagon" ($26.99). So my cost for the three DVDs was $54.98.
Posted by: jabch

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 06/06/05 09:26 AM

MM, I found Mar Adentro on DVD at my local Blockbuster like two weeks ago. I'm sure that if they have it here in Kansas City, they also will in your city. By the way (unless you speak Gallego and Catalan) be sure to set up the subtitles to Spanish or English or you will miss some dialogues. I took for granted that the whole movie was in Spanish and kept asking my wife: "What are they saying??? What are they saying??? These guys speak kind of weird!!...." then realized they were Speaking Catalan!! laugh . Gallego was easier to understand.

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 06/06/05 10:29 AM

Interesting feedback, jbach. I too just assumed the entire movie would be in Castellano so I'll be sure to use the subtitles so I don't miss anything. I hadn't heard that it was NOT in Castilleno. Interesting. Gotta go find it at my local Blockbuster.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: monito

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 06/06/05 03:17 PM

Gallego only, no Catalan in this movie :-)
Posted by: barry

Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie - 06/06/05 03:27 PM

Yes there is Catalan in this movie. The Barcelona sequences are, naturally, in that language.