Hable con ella//Talk to her

Posted by: pim

Hable con ella//Talk to her - 01/20/03 08:44 AM

Well, CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. Pedro Almodovar for winning a Golden Globe Award for his latest film " Hable con Ella " last night, (however....I still do not like the movie at all eek :o frown )

The press here keep commenting that it might be nominated for best movie of the year (AND WIN!) at the Oscars,...we'll see what happens rolleyes .
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 01/20/03 10:44 AM

eek OHMYGOD!! I was just watching the trailer for the movie Hable con Ella and saw, whom I THOUGHT to be the Spanish/Gitana singer Rosario Flores and BOOM! I went to the credits and sure enough! It's ROSARIO !!!! (<-nice website!)

Can't wait to see "Hable con Ella". I too have heard mixed reviews about it but hey, it's Almodóvar and it's about Spain so I'm sure I'll at least like it a little. wink

CONGRATULATIONS to Spain and Pedro Almodóvar!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 01/20/03 12:11 PM

Yep! it's her all right; she plays a 'torera', and looks quite similar to the famous 'torero' Manolete.

(One of the things I liked about the movie was the fact that they sing the song "cucurrucucu Paloma" smile ....which by the way, I just remembered a street vendor sung to me, to my amazement, once in N.Y.'s fifth avenue cool )
Posted by: Shawn

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 01/20/03 02:54 PM

Good going Spain!
I thought the film was better than average, but it isn't his best film. To be honest, I didn't meet anyone who thought it compared with some of his earlier films. Well, at least we can hope for another one of his entertaing acceptance speaches.

BTW, for those who don't know PIM, whenever she travels to 5th Ave, Monaco, Beverly Hills, and even Milan, she is recognized laugh . I sure hope that the paparazzi don't continue to bother her, her photos in Hola, Hello, and The National Enquirer have been appearing quite regulary, it must be difficult to mantain her privacy.

Saludos, from the movie capital of the world.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 01/20/03 03:52 PM

Que casualidad! Last night our IFC channel carried in Spanish " La Flor de Mi Secreto/ The Flower of My Secret" a wonderful film about the problems of a Romance writer! Almodovar is fantastic, I watch his films because I know it's going to be a good story and well acted. Gracias, Pim!
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 01/21/03 01:50 PM

The good, the bad and the ugly: The good is that Almodóvar is continuing to be recognized for his genius. The bad is that it's happening now, almost as a "make-up call" for snubbing many of his earlier, finer films. The ugly is that there's apparently not much else to pick from when a less-than-stellar Almodóvar gets selected based, most likely, on name alone, over the other offerings internationally.

I'm a big Almodóvar fan, but I don't want him to become one of those "lifetime achievement" guys that you feel sorry for so you have to give them a statue. He deserves all that he gets, but recognize the entire body of work!!!

¡Aupa Pedro!
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 01/22/03 05:00 PM

Is Hable con Ella playing in the US? I hadn't seen anything about it yet! I had read in HOLA about Rosario filming a movie as a torera, and now I'm anxious to see it!

-GG
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 01/22/03 07:03 PM

GG,

its playing in several theatres around washington. dupont, wisconsin ave and shirlington.
Posted by: miche_dup1

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/10/03 06:56 AM

On my last trip to Madrid i bought a CD, 'Lo mejor de Caetano Veloso' produced in Madrid. It's an excellent CD and has many of the Almodovar movie tracks on it such as Paloma's 'Cucurrucucuuuu Palooomaa'(Mexican i think) and !Ay Amor!(Cuban)(live) which featured in 'Flor de mi secreto' as Booklady mentioned, a wonderful film. Veloso's voice is tender and mesmerizing. Singing in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and English, nothing is lost in his adaptations of classics, and of course there are his own songs.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/10/03 07:46 PM

They are playing Hable con Ella /Talk to Her
in Jacksonville, Pablo 9 Theatre, thought I'd pass the word to you North Floridians/South Georgians on the Board!
Showtimes: 1:50 PM), (4:20), 7:20, 9:45

Pablo 9 Theatre
1970 S. 3rd Street
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

Now I know where I am going on Valentine's Day!

Salu2

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/11/03 09:01 AM

P. Almodovar just got two Oscar nominations!!!

Unfortunately, 'Los lunes al sol', the movie we were all expecting would be nominated for best movie in a foreign language didn't. frown
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/11/03 02:04 PM

Good for P.Almodóvar, although I think it'll be very hard for him as M.Sorsese has never won an oscar before and R.Polanski has made a great film also. Anyway, I think that the two nominations are a price themselves.
It's not the first time than a Spanish director is nominated for the best director price?
Posted by: Tramontana

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/11/03 10:37 PM

It's to be expected! Hollywood is recognizing an astounding movie and screenplay...well done Pedro! All others, ONCE at once!
Posted by: Marianpo

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/19/03 09:13 PM

I saw Hable con Ella in Miami and for a while could not figure it out. I did notice Almodovar was having a lot of fun and including brief appearances by some of his favorite people, such as singer Martirio, Cecilia Roth, etc. (I wonder if the scene where the two comatose women are sitting next to each other with dark glasses on was an allusion to Martirio.)
Now I think one major theme may be the fear of being devoured by women, and not just because of the silent short. I have read a lot of reviews, but most of them do very little explicating (and that's a genuine English term), that is, translating what the author is saying through his images. Anyway, I would love to hear some interpretations.
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/24/03 12:01 PM

TVE reported that Almodóvar won two more awards for "Hable con ella". One from the British and another, I believe, from Italy. I believe they were the equivalent to Best Foreign-language Film or something. Congrats!

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/25/03 09:12 AM

He won three awards over the past weekend, the British one, and the French one called "Cesar" (it even sound a little like the Oscars doesn't it? rolleyes ) for best script I think; and also the Cesar for best European film of the year.
Posted by: liz49

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/26/03 10:01 AM

Pim,

Can you say a little more about "Los lunes al sol"?--I'm always curious about info on Spanish film--sometimes it's hard to keep up well from Cleveland! (though Hable con ella is playing to good reviews here).
Posted by: El Boqueron

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/26/03 11:45 AM

He won 2 at the British awards (BAFTA), one for best film "not in English", and another for original screenplay (in any language!)

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 02/26/03 12:10 PM

Liz,

Sorry but I haven't seen that movie yet. I know everybody is raving about it, and it's the movie the Spanish movie Academy chose to present it to the American Academy as a candidate to represent Spain at the Oscars (over Hable con Ella), but it finally didn't get the best foreign film nomination....I'm currently unemployed and the movie deals with that issue frown ...., somehow, I don't think I'll have the spirit to go see it until I don't find a job rolleyes !!!
Posted by: El Boqueron

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 03/24/03 06:58 AM

... and he just got the Oscar for best Original Screenplay (in any language) smile
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 03/24/03 09:08 PM

Congratulations Pedro Almodóvar!!!
Posted by: Sarita

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 03/24/03 10:44 PM

¡Olé cine español! I saw Señor Almodóvar arrive at the Oscars but unfortunately slept through the Best Screenplay award. frown Did anyone see his acceptance who can recap it for me? Did he say anything about current world events?

¡Gracias!

Sarita wink
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 03/25/03 08:06 AM

I was impressed with Ben Affleck's Spanish pronunciation! I guess he got some prepping from his gf Jennifer López. wink
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 03/25/03 10:54 AM

Hi Sarita, I read it in English yesterday in a web of the Hollywood Academy, but I only could find today the translation to Spanish in Spanish newspapers.
This was his speech translated into Spanish:
"Oh, Dios Mío. Sé que es muy difícil respirar esta noche, pero tengo que respirar. Bien, antes de nada, agradezco a los miembros de la Academia su generosidad. Quiero decir, esto es realmente demasiado. Me gustaría leer algo aunque está prohibido, pero será muy corto. Dedico este premio, por supuesto, a El Deseo, a Sony Pictures Classic y a toda la gente que me ayudaron a realizar esta película. Pero también quiero dedicar este galardón a toda las personas que se están levantando sus voces a favor de la paz, el respeto de los derechos humanos, la democracia y la legalidad internacional. Todas ellas son cualidades esenciales para vivir. Este premio es también para ellos, para el cine español y a ustedes, por ser testigos de este momento excepcional de mi vida. El tiempo se acaba. Lo siento"
I hope you understand it.
Posted by: Sarita

Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her - 03/25/03 11:37 AM

Thanks, Miguelito! That was just what I needed. So Ben Affleck gave him the award? That would make sense since he and Matt Damon won for Good Will Hunting a few years ago.

Saludos!
Sarita smile