Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial

Posted by: Kurt

Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/24/01 06:52 PM

Ok- we've heard all about Christmas in Spain, and la doce uvas with the grapes and the red underwear and all that, but what about the greatest of all monumental days?! I am referring, of course , to The Super Bowl, almost the greatest event in all human endevour (behind only the NCAA tournement!).

Do our Spanish and other international friends stay up all night on a Sunday to watch this spectacle? What do all y'all got planned for this year's game?

As usual, I will be setting up the Weber grill in my brother's backyard (yes, in January!)and barbecuing a turkey to be consumed (and consumed it will be, don't worry about that!) during the game. This could be the highlight of this year's contest(although I expect an exciting and VERY hard-hitting matchup).

One more thing: Giants 17 Ravens 13.

Have fun, everybody!
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 09:06 AM

Is the Super Bowl connected in any way with that funny game they play with a rugby ball?

Just kidding, Kurt! It's years since I've seen it, though I always resolve to stay awake, I end up going to bed. Now if it was cricket.............
Posted by: Asterault

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 09:15 AM

Nope, that's a US thing only. Of more interest here is the Copa del Rey (which my team Espanyol won last year and will this year again!) and normal league play.
Posted by: Puna

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 09:54 AM

Kurt - the WHAT Bowl??? Without my Niners (and the Raiders didn't quite make it) it's just gonna be another game! All joking aside - havng lived in Australia for a five years and spent a bunch of SuperBowl time in places other than the US - about the only way you're going to see the big game is from a US Consulate, etc - thou would bet somehow it can be seen via the web ....
Posted by: caminante

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 01:18 PM

The Super Bowl? A non-event in Spain, though
I've seen World Series scores and one paragraph articles in El Pais, because it came from the wire. I don't remember seeing a Super Bowl while over there.

But the NBA Finals are on, albeit at 3:00 am. In 1995, I taped the games, and watched them in the morning. Great to see Houston beat Shaq and the Magic. And it was great, because they had commercials only some of the time and the rest showed the fans in the arena during timeouts. It made you feel like you were there.

But my favorite moment as a sports fan abroad was in 1994 in Ecuador. After watching the US Men's soccer team defeat Columbia in the World Cup in a hostal lounge full of Europeans (I was the only American), I wandered out hoping to see the 7th game of the Knicks-Rockets. The NBA Playoffs had beeen on TV there on tape delay until the World Cup started and was on all four channels. And sure enough, at the big 5-star hotel, was a bar with a satellite broadcast of the game. I was so happy to hear Marv Albert's voice.

I bet the Super Bowl is being shown on some satellite channel in Spain. If you could find someone or somewhere, maybe just maybe you could find it.
Posted by: Nuria

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 02:13 PM

Super Bowl ?!?!?! We have Real Madrid Vs Barca... Who needs the Super Bowl??? ;p

By the way if you want to use the "ñ" just press down the key ALT, type 124 (with the numbers in the right hand side of the keyboard) and then free the key ALT

[This message has been edited by Nuria (edited 01-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nuria (edited 01-25-2001).]
Posted by: Nicole

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 02:56 PM

You know, i have tried that so many times, Nuria, and for some reason it just doesn't seem to work onmy computer...
Posted by: Jen

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 03:35 PM

sorry, this isn't about the superbowl, but...
for you Mac users out there, all you have to do for the ñ is press(at the same time) option(which is also alt) and n, then n again and presto...ñ!
Posted by: jefe7

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 04:29 PM

Actually, Nuria, it's ALT-164 for the "ñ".
Also, Nicole, it helps if you have the NUM LOCK key ON.
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 04:34 PM

I saw the SuperBowl in Sevilla last year in some bar that hooked up a big screen TV and got it satellited in.... But of course, it did not compare to Real Madrid vs. Barça at all....

[This message has been edited by Majesty318 (edited 01-25-2001).]
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/25/01 11:52 PM

Majesty318, did you see it LIVE in Sevilla last year? Didn't it start at like 2:00am and finish at 6:00am? Maybe it was tape delayed?? I wouldn't think most Spaniards would have much interest in watching the game, but the resulting score still usually makes it to the front page of the major newspapers.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/26/01 09:18 AM

I think it was around 10 or so that it started, because I didn't stay for much of it and I went back to our hotel probably around 12 or 1. I don't think there actually were any Spaniards in the bar, just a bunch of Americans whose study abroad programs just happened to have a trip to Andalucía that week... that was my situation.
Posted by: Kurt

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/27/01 03:39 AM

Caminante-

In 1994 I saw Spain beat Bolivaia 3-1 at Chicago's Soldier Field in the opening round of the World Cup. Spain made it to the semi finals that year (I think). It was the first international soccer (sorry, "futbol") match I'd ever seen, and the level of competition was fantastic. But even better were the Spanish and Bolivian fans in Chicago, who marched down Colombus Blvd. to the stadium on each side chanting and singing their national songs and cheers to each other. What a sight. I've been an international soccer (oops, "Futbol") fan ever since. But this is The Super Bowl!! Nothing can match this for a one-day sporting event.

Where are those Ravens fans, who KNOW their team is going to be victorious? Sorry, but I'm sticking with the Giants!

Next Year ( He Said, Dreaming) The Chicago Bears!!
Posted by: Asterault

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/27/01 11:39 AM

It is quite a production, however it really is only of much interest to people in the United States and I assume Canada. People outside of those countries don't really like the game itself very much.
Posted by: cantabene

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/27/01 06:03 PM

Not everyone does like it. I live in Baltimore, home of one of the contending teams, where they have projected purple lights (the team color) on many public buildings. But not everyone is a fan.
I think of it as superbore.

This is a poor city, with rampant crime and much poverty. It's all part of the idea that if you give people bread and circuses (little bread, however,) they will forget our local government's ineptitude. Although Baltimore now has a new and forceful mayor, so that tradition might one day end. Or at least be reduced to tolerable limits.
Cantabene
Posted by: nevado

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/28/01 03:01 AM

We usually went to Finnegans to watch the Superbowl live - very difficult to go to work on Monday. One year I even saw it in Cercedilla- that was wierd!!
Posted by: caminante

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/31/01 01:33 PM

I can't think of Baltimore without hearing the first few notes of Randy Newman's haunting song. "Baltimore, man it's hard just to live"
Posted by: Jen

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 01/31/01 01:38 PM

gotta love those crabcakes, though!!
Posted by: vinniemafalda

Re: Super Bowl en Espanya y todo el mundial - 02/04/01 04:45 AM

Nuria, and in Segunda we have the superbowls...
Atleti Glorioso vs Getafe
:'((((((((((((
Atleti vs Leganés
:'((((((
Atleti vs Majadahonda next year si no espabilamos
buaaaaaa
pero este año gamamos la copa!!