International Student Identity Card

Posted by: Ana

International Student Identity Card - 11/30/00 11:49 AM

IŽd like to know what kind of discounts does this Card offers. Is there any discount in shopping, lodging, transportation, museums, movies? Is it 50% less like in Brazil?
Thanks
Posted by: Nicole

Re: International Student Identity Card - 11/30/00 11:53 AM

It does provide a lot of discounts - especially at museums and stuf. It isn't a ton of money, but all the littel discounts can add up.
Posted by: kk49827

Re: International Student Identity Card - 11/30/00 12:15 PM

I used it at all the museums and usually got half off the entrance price. I found it to be a useful card to have just in case you needed some form of identification. I also used mine when I checked into a hotel, instead of my passport.

Re: International Student Identity Card - 11/30/00 12:39 PM

It's nice to know we can show our ISIC instead of the passport. I'll keep my passport in a very safe place and use the card, if someone steal it, it's not a huge problem
Posted by: Jaime

Re: International Student Identity Card - 11/30/00 02:34 PM

I used my card to get a discounted plane ticket.
Posted by: nicholas

Re: International Student Identity Card - 11/30/00 04:49 PM

hi there ana,
in my personal experience the card was good to have on some days, and not worth anything on others. at times train passes, museums and histroical sites would be reduced by 20-50% with the card. on other occasions they would tell me i could not use it. it is good to have to show to them, just don't always guarantee youreself that it will work. the one use that i really enjoyed from it...it gave me a reduced price on my plane ticket.
are you still planning on being in madrid in january?
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: International Student Identity Card - 11/30/00 05:25 PM

I've had the student and the teacher version of the card. The Prado lets you in free on both. We got into the Palacio Real for free with the student version. I found that of all the Western European countries, Spain provided the most "discounts" using that card. (And they say France is more of a patrimony to the arts... )

Mostly the larger museums gave discounts. Absolutely no discounts on cathedral and other religious site visits, though.

Oh, one more thing: In 1993 I got double insurance payback for all of my medical bills through their travel insurance...I tore the ligaments in my left ankle, and after insurance payouts, actually MADE $1500!
Posted by: mclarke

Re: International Student Identity Card - 12/01/00 08:54 AM

I would like to get this International card. I am 50 years old and attend a certification program in accounting. Do I meet the qualification to get this card? Thanks.
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: International Student Identity Card - 12/01/00 10:56 AM

Check out their website at: www.istc.org.

That shoud help you answer your questions.

Happy trails!

Re: International Student Identity Card - 12/01/00 08:19 PM

Thank's for all the information.
And YES Nicholeye, I'll be in Madrid in january! Hope to see you there
Posted by: MunchiMike

Re: International Student Identity Card - 12/11/00 09:11 PM

Thanx for that lnk Calibasco, it may just do the trick!...Rev. MIke
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: International Student Identity Card - 12/11/00 09:17 PM

Congratulations, MunchiMike!! You've broken the record for reaching full MEMBER status!! ONE HOUR!!! My God!! Now...take a deeep breath, rest your now-sore fingers, gather your thoughts, continue with your well-thought-out replies and insightful postings.... innn..... ouuutttt.. innnn.. ouuuttt... hehehe..

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. MunchiMike, is it a coincidence that you STOPPED your frantic pace of posting/replying now that you have your 32 posts and full MEMBER status?? Welcome to the group. You're not alone. MANY people HATE that JUNIOR MEMBER status.

Pardon me everyone for going WAY off topic.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 12-11-2000).]
Posted by: MunchiMike

Re: International Student Identity Card - 12/12/00 12:01 AM

YOU SIR ,.. ARE A SCREAM!! You're right about the breath thing. Also since I'm a two fingered typist with two left feet who's missing an eye, walks with a limp and goes by the nickname 'Lucky', this web thing is still pretty new to me , whereas the Spain thing is older than, well, you know.......the pleasure is all mine I'm sure!.........Rev. Mike