Spanish restaurants in D.C.?

Posted by: rgf

Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 11/15/00 05:46 PM

Off to D.C. right after Christmas (and right BEFORE SPAIN!!). Anyone know good places, Spanish, preferably, in the Dupont Circle area? Online I saw one called Jaleo (don't know where it is) and another called Taberna de A-something (good memory, eh?) that sounded expensive and maybe stuffy? (ties and jackets, etc). Advice por favor! Thanks! and don't forget my recommendation in New York (Marichu) and San Francisco (Zarzuela)!
Posted by: maria

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/05/00 06:55 PM

Hi RGF, Washinton has good Spanish restaurants however they are expensive. Jaleo has really good and afordable tapas, on the other hand La taberna del Alabardero is very expensive and has a great wine selection if you want to pay for it. My favorite, however, is Andalucia de Bethesda. It's just outside of DC and you can reach it by metro on the red line. They have amazing "besugo a la sal" and entrecote. You will pay arond 25$ per person and you don't need reservation because it is no very crowded.
Buen provecho.

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/05/00 07:21 PM

Thanks for those tips! I;ll be in the DuPont circle area and won't be able to travel very far because I will be at a conference...
Posted by: Wendy E

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/05/00 10:44 PM

Jaleo is downtown, I think it's on 7th & E. It's near the Navy Memorial metro stop.
Posted by: David K

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/07/00 06:05 PM

There is also a churreria/restaurant named, appropriately, La Churreria de Madrid in Adams-Morgan (not too far from the Dupont area). I've never eaten lunch or dinner there (only had churros to go). It's sort of a hole in the wall.
Posted by: cantabene

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/07/00 09:12 PM

I'll second Maria's choice of Andalucia in Bethesda. It produces the best Spanish food I've ever eaten in a restaurant outside of Spain--better than some I've had in Spain. Excellent! And not overpriced.
Cantabene
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/11/00 09:26 PM

MunchiMike, I see you're moving your way down the list. STOP!!! Have a glass of wine, and save the rest for tomorrow. We really don't expect you to comment on EVERY posting we have here (but at the rate you're going YOU WILL! hehehe). Gather your thoughts and give a well-thought out reply, insightful comment, and so on and so on... There was a joke a few months ago about a few people who would simply post something like "Yeah. I agree with that." or "Now THAT was great link!" and so on... We really appreciate your insight and that's what we're all about. Your 1950 experience CAN ONLY enlighten us all. Tell us about it! We want to know!!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: miles

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/11/00 11:36 PM

hi all.
i just arrived in d.c. and will be here for work for the next 2 weeks. tonight i dropped in at JALEO.(thanks to this thread) i had calamare al a plancha, croquetas de jamon & pollo washed down with a glass of a red from jumilla and two bottles of estrella de galicia. the beer was accompanied with a tubo glass, which added to my experience. the exact, same tubo as in spain. the taste of the beer. the glass. the croquetas.(how can you f#@$ up croquetas?) the grilled squid. i was in spain for a few.
there were many patrons, also. especially for a monday night. cigarette smoke. loud chatter. wed. nite features flamenco. we'll see.
there are several spanish eateries in this area, which i plan on crashing, in this area.
the total damage was $26.75. not quite spanish prices, but the experience was worht it to me.

more to come......
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/19/00 12:24 PM

RGF: There is a great restaurant on 8th about a block away from Jaleo called Cafe Atlantico. The chef is the ex-chef from Jaleo - Andres. The menu is not all Spanish. Some is Latin American. The food is all wonderful. Its also the only rest in DC where
you can have year old tetilla cured in aceite. Fabulous dessert!

'Taluego

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/19/00 01:09 PM

Guapetona and everyone, thanks! How far is Jaleo and Care Altlantico from Dupont circle area? I;m at the Westin Fairfax on Mass Ave.
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.? - 12/19/00 04:38 PM

RGF: Its about 5-10 mins from Dupont. If you
take the Metro then you would go from the Dupont Circle station and get off at Gallery
Place. You'll be a few blocks away from 9th
and E. It leaves you on G st. Your hotel is in NW and so is Jaleo, Cafe Atlantico and
La Taberna.
If you just want to stay in Dupont then try Gabriel's. The bar is beautiful and the ambience is excellent. The food is better at
Atlantico but this will be right next to your hotel.
Pasarlo bien, tia!