Museo de America (Madrid)

Posted by: DavidB

Museo de America (Madrid) - 11/14/00 08:45 PM

In a previous reply, Xena mentioned the Museo de America, which has a great collection of American-Indian (Maya, Inca, etc) artefacts.

I have searched for information regarding this Museum and have found only brief description on what is displayed.

Can any-one help a little more please as I feel that I would like to add this Museum to my "visit list" for my next visit to Madrid.

Many Thanks - Muchas Gracias

David
Posted by: Xena

Re: Museo de America (Madrid) - 11/15/00 05:35 AM

Well, do you want me to tell you the surprises? There are a few very shocking objects in there.
But I'll try to make a desciption for the rest.
There are two or three cottages or tents made from leather and wood. This museum is structured in 4 parts : the learning, the life, the war and the religion (this last part is the shocking area). Every part contains specific objects: children clothes and toys for the first part, cooking ustensils, jewelery, all kind of objects with sexual meaning, adult clothes etc for the second part, weapons and hunting things, also different objects which are inspiring power (for the leader) in the third part and of course funeral and shaman objects for the fourth.
There are two very big floors and you can see all kind of multimedia presentations on some monitors.
I loved their clothes and ceramics, their masks and power inspiring objects. All it's very impressive when you know that their great civilisations are extinct now and that makes you think twice about propagating our christian habits and tradions worldwide (or on other planets soon i hope )
Posted by: DavidB

Re: Museo de America (Madrid) - 11/19/00 07:30 PM

Muchas Gracias Xena

I will definately add this Museum to my list of "Must visit" places for my next visit to Madrid. As I live in Australia I haven't had the oportunity to learn much about the early Central and South American Civilizations, or see Artifacts etc from them, so this Museum is a definate as far as I am concerned.

David