Sunset Time?

Posted by: billy ski

Sunset Time? - 10/18/00 05:29 PM

Dear Friends, Could anyone tell me for sure what time the sunsets in November. We will be there in Spain for most of the month and do not know especially if there is Daylight savings as there is in NY. Thank You, Bill Ski
Posted by: connie

Re: Sunset Time? - 10/18/00 06:43 PM

They have daylight savings as well. I cannot tell you the exact time of the sunset, but I am pretty sure it is later than in New York, since Spain is on the Western edge of the respective time zone and New York rather on the Eastern side of the Eastern time zone. Thus both sunrise and sunset are a bit shifted, both is later in Spain. In Boston, for my taste the sunset is far too early, all year long- I guess New York is comparable.
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Sunset Time? - 10/19/00 05:35 PM

If you want to get a good look at the sunset itself, go to www.crtvg.es and check out some of the web cams they have on the site. This is TV-Galicia, and if you click on the "End of the World Cam" you can see about the latest the sun is out in Spain. Recently, I've been noticing that the sun is down by about 8:30 p.m., but I haven't checked in a couple of weeks. At any rate, in the upper corner, it gives you the actual time. Even if this idea doesn't help, the link is pretty cool since you get to look in on Spain "en vivo". Have fun!
Posted by: El Boqueron

Re: Sunset Time? - 10/20/00 06:16 AM

In the south it gets dark about 7pm in november. They go over to daylight savings (or whatever) at the end of october, so that'll be an hour off CaliBasco's 8:30.

[This message has been edited by El Boqueron (edited 10-20-2000).]

Re: Sunset Time? - 10/20/00 05:11 PM

Hey, I'm curious, when I lived in Spain in 1988-1990, there was no daylight savings time to speak of, I remember asking about it in April of 1989, and getting blank stares from all queried. Is that something that they've adopted recently? I was under the impression that we were the only locos who messed with the daytime schedule... I guess I haven't paid too much attention to it in my 5 subsequent trips over to Spain since Spaniards don't seem to gauge their activity by the sun, but by the clock.

Re: Sunset Time? - 10/20/00 05:16 PM

I think the system was harmonised between the majority of the EC countries at a certain point (the UK still has its own system), I am not definitely sure when this took place, though.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Sunset Time? - 10/20/00 05:28 PM

I'm not sure about the exact year but I think Spain, together with nearly all the European countries, have been using the daylight saving time schedule since the 70s.

It's very strange that people didn't know about it because the official time is changed twice a year.

Regards,

Antonio

PS: BTW, I think they change it the last Sunday of October.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Re: Sunset Time? - 10/26/00 05:55 PM

Antonio-
¡Qué curiosidad! I must've been so gaga for just being in Spain that I didn't recognize three daylight savings changes in a row...I must've had my cabeza in the nubes.

Well, you can get that way when you're in the great country of Spain! Of course you hardly notice anyway since people are out at all hours of the night whether it's light out or not!!! Thanks for the history!
Posted by: Nicole

Re: Sunset Time? - 10/26/00 06:15 PM

Calisbasco, just wanted to say that I really enjoy the Galicia-tv link!!

Re: Sunset Time? - 11/03/00 04:05 PM

I stumbled on that one, and I love it...sometimes at work I put it up on my screen just to "spy" on my "friends" in Santiago. I like the 1-second refresh. As per the thread: the sun sets at about 9:15 PST...which I believe is about 6 or 7 in Galicia.

I'm sure there are other links to webcams in Spain. In fact, I've seen a few in southern Spain, but I haven't memorized the links. I'm sure a webcam search would produce some good results.

Re: Sunset Time? - 11/03/00 04:11 PM

Here you go, CaliBasco: a link to MANY webcams in Spain. A German website, but I am sure you will find your way through: http://www.spanien.com/webcams.html
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Sunset Time? - 11/03/00 04:33 PM

Here's another website WITH MANY Spain webcams .
Posted by: replay

Re: Sunset Time? - 11/04/00 09:32 AM

Hello friends, I come back again...

Visit this nice webcams of the "Sierra de Madrid", the mountains which surrounds this city...don´t miss Venta Marcelino webcam, the most impressive.
http://www.sierranorte.com/vistas

Bye.