Where's "My Madrid 00" today?

Posted by: rgf

Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 11:18 AM

MM's journal has turned into a 404 (file not found)... I hope MM is just uploading a new version as we speak! Inquiring minds want to know what was for lunch today!! and other interesting details...
Posted by: Leche

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 12:00 PM

I was wondering this as well. All during the second half of yesterday the page would only load halfway and they stop, cutting off parts of the journal that I knew were there because I had previously read them.

Leche
Posted by: Puna

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 01:03 PM

And I thought I was having server problems!
Amazing how much we all seem to be looking forward to MM's daily postings. Could this have something to do with the phone/internet problem he mentioned in earlier emails?
Posted by: Shawn

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 01:15 PM

MM, I need my daily dose! Your trip began on October 2, mine concluded on October 2, so in many ways I am vicariously extending my stay in Madrid. I am having withdrawls, report soon or I will have to enter a 12 step program for Iberophiles.

Suffering in Los Angeles,

Shawn
Posted by: Jen

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 01:32 PM

ŋDónde esta nuestro MM?
Posted by: Leche

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 01:35 PM

BTW, why did he wait till OCTUBRE to go to Madrid? It's getting cold there! Why not June or July? Of course, everyone is dealing with work constraints, ect though.

Leche
Posted by: Jen

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 02:12 PM

I only wish I could go in octubre! Unfortunately, I must go onver x-mas, Semana Santa or over summer when all the masses go. if only I were so lucky to be able to go off season!
Posted by: Roger

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 06:12 PM

Met MM for lunch today and told him about his page not loading. Apparently he was working for around 2 hours last night on a 14.4Kbps modem connection to upload the page. He thought it had uploaded OK, but it looks like the slow connection has spoilt his plans. I'm sure he'll soon have the journal up there again.

Roger.

------------------
http://GoMadrid.com for museums, hotels, monuments and much more.

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 06:31 PM

Roger, where did you and MM have lunch and what did you eat? Since we have no direct word from MM's journal, you'll have to fill us in...
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 06:43 PM

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here I sit, all broken hearted, I tried to upload, but found I couldnīt get started (without a frigginī floppy disk drive). Here I am at the wondrous EasyEverything just off the Puerta del Sol, floppy disk in pocket, ONLY to find these are internet terminals only, no computer, just flat screen monitors, keyboard, and mouse and no PC.

So sorry, folks. I was sad to hear this afternoon from Roger that the page didnīt upload. I WAS happy to see that that page is getting around 150 hits per day, but guess how many I got today. ONE!! ARGH!!!! And I think that was mine as a test, but the page only loaded from cache and not an actual load. As Roger said, I was working with a 14.4 modem connection and it never did fully upload. I spent 2 hours last night trying and quite at about 2am. I was/am so frustrated, de verdad. Iīll have to find the cybercafe tomorrow morning from which I initially uploaded the page. ARGH!!!! SO ANGRY!! I promise you all that by the time you wake up in the morning that youīll have TWO new entries waiting. ARGH!!! Sorry sorry everyone. And to think many Spanish classes around (mainly the US) the world are getting that darned 404 PAGE NOT FOUND. What can I say. At least Iīm here, just after midnight off the Puerta del Sol, typing to you during 1 hour 35 minutes of connection for ONLY 200 pesetas!! MAN, thatīs cheap! Too bad they donīt have a floppy drive. More in the other thread...

Sadly, MadridMan

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 08:32 PM

JUST uploaded it!!! Hope we donīt have any more problems like that, but you never know. Now that I know I CAN do it at EasyEverything with the help of the administrators Iīll probably be doing it like this more often. Itīs past 2:00am and here I sit... hehehe.. But all is fine now.

Until soon!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Diana

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/05/00 09:22 PM

Yes! It's back! And he went to dinner at Hylogui's! Gosh, we used to go there years ago. It was always good. No one ever said no to dinner at Hylogui's.

Keep the info coming, MM!
Posted by: Puna

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/06/00 10:09 AM

MM - its NICE to have you back on-line! Now the rest of us Spainophiles can get "our daily dose of homesickness - I want to be there - just how soon can I get back to Madrid" feelings. Know you vare having a super time - and we all thank you for taking to time to share it with us. ENJOY

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/15/00 04:08 AM

Having trouble uploading the journal for yesterday. Will try from time to time today. May just be a bad connection or too many people using the server. Thanks for your patience.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/15/00 05:27 AM

Finally was able to upload it!! Woo Hoo!

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/15/00 06:52 PM

Wow, what great stories from Madrid!! Now, isn't it typical that Mama Rosa never has left Spain but is planning to spend TWO MONTHS in new mexico with her daughter? MM, is your ladyfriend ready for this? I know from personal experience that a Spanish mama, isolated in an apratment in the U.S., runs out of things to keep her content quickly... there;s no paseo... you can only make so many meals, visit the mall so many times... well, maybe her computer games will keep her amused, too. But she's in for a shock when she sees how isolated we gringos are.
Posted by: laduque

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/16/00 02:30 AM

rgf, point well taken, we "Americans" are pretty isolated, but I think N.M. will make Mama Rosa feel right at home at least with the culture and the language. My family has been in Santa Fe and it's environs for over 200 years and the "Spanish" culture is still alive and well there. Mama Rosa will have no problem communicating, or fitting in. She will probably be fascinated by the Native American culture as well.
For Mama Rosa, I think N.M. will be a great place for her to visit. But what do I know, I am extrememely biased as it is "mi tierra". When I went to Madrid for the first time, the land and climate was so much like N.M., I knew why the Spaniards had settled there. I hope Mama Rosa really enjoys here time in N.M. by the way, what city will she be staying in?

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/22/00 11:39 AM

I'm NOW writing the last journal entry of MadridMan's Madrid 2000 and will be uploading it in the next hour or so. I think this entry will be larger than ANY of the previous one. A LOT happened during this return trip/fiasco. Read it and enjoy (if you can! ARGH!! hehehe)!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/22/00 04:49 PM

Just read the 'last chapter'-- wow, what a wild trip!! How did Alicia know to get that purse to the airport ... she saw it and just decided to drive out there? amazing that it all clicked. MM, you were a GREAT help to these ladies getting them to N.M. I have had many trips with mechanical troubles, overnites, diverted planes... too bad it had to happen to Mama Rosa on her first trip. But by now she has forgotten that and is remembering all the nice things you did for HER! Well, your trip certainly intruiged all of us. I wish I'd kept a journal for the Extremadura trip I took last summer. I did write a short story about Guadalupe and Trujillo, tho! Anyway, thanks for giving us this diary and que descanses mucho ahora.

Re: Where's "My Madrid 00" today? - 10/22/00 05:21 PM

I JUST uploaded the corrected version of the last two (and final) entries of MadridMan's Madrid 2000 . I quickly uploaded the draft and (much) later today uploaded the new-and-improved version minus the typos, and many of the grammatical errors. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

rfg, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes. We left Alicia "holding the bag" as it were . We were all hugging, shaking hands, saying goodbye, and Mama Rosa handed Alicia her purse while she bent down to hug and say a few final words to her grandson, little Pablo, and forgot about it in the chaos and loading luggage. These things happen. I'm just glad Alicia got to the airport nearly at the same time as we did. Whew! I can only imagine her face and reaction as we drove off and she looked down into her hands to find Mama Rosa's purse! hehehehe.. It all worked out in the end.

Saludos, MadridMan