MadridMan! Wow!

Posted by: Wolf

MadridMan! Wow! - 02/27/08 04:47 PM

It's been a long time since I've been here. It's nice to see you finally made it to Spain. I've never seen anyone with a passion as strong as you had, to make the switch, and after reading your blog entry from 2/13 , I came away with the feeling that you did the right thing. You couldn't seem to be any more happy than you are. And that's what life is all about!

The site is fantastic! It's nice seeing that there's a lot of the same people around that there were, so many years ago, when you were pulling your hair out (It shows in your pics by the way! wink ...)getting the site running smoothly.

I remember when you changed services, and spent endless hours getting the darned thing to work, but kept smiling through it all... even without sleep.

If there's anyone who deserves the success of something like this, it's you.

It's great seeing all the old faces out here. I've missed so many of you, and hope life has been good for you.

Stick with your dreams. Without them, we just walk through life, without enjoying it. MadridMan has proven to all of you, that dreams are reachable, and can be enjoyed. Follow yours too.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 02/28/08 04:18 AM

Hiya, Wolf! Wow! GREAT to see you! thumbsup

Yup. I finally made it as you've read on my blog entry, " Common Questions to MadridMan ".

And thank for your kind words. They're MUCH appreciated. You know better than almost anyone how things have gone here on the message board over the years and on MadridMan.com-BASE for that long and longer. How many times did I stay up until 3am trying to finish the latest "format change" by my self-imposed deadline. I don't often stay up until 3am working these days but that's because now THIS IS my dayjob so I have more time to work on it, make additions and updates - and lovin' every minute of it.

There are still some of the members from the first couple of years here on the message board but, logically, few stick around. Members come and members go but a few stay somewhat active.

Hope you make it (back) to Madrid someday. It'd be good to meet up with you.

Un abrazo, MadridMan smile
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 02/28/08 06:46 PM

Good to hear from you too Wolf! smile I knew there was a reason I kept checking back on this website. eek

Just joking you know MadridMan. I still like to hear about Spain, even though I can't make it there.

Listening to Onda Madrid tonight. Great programming.
Posted by: Estopa1

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 03/01/08 01:33 PM

MadridMan, I read your "Common Questions to MadridMan" where you say that you "can eventually apply for citizenship too but so far I'm not in a hurry to do that".

Are you going to vote in the General Elections?

Regards

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 03/02/08 05:06 AM

Nope. I still can't vote in the General Elections because I don't have citizenship, not even a passport yet but probably, hopefully next time around. We'll see.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 03/03/08 01:26 PM

Quote:
"There are still some of the members from the first couple of years here on the message board but, logically, few stick around. Members come and members go but a few stay somewhat active."
MM, I think you are selling yourself short on this. What I think there are more people that visit your website/forums and blog than you realized. They are like me. I still drop by each week read the messages and your blog. I will post something once in a while; if I have something to say that I believe adds value.

The reason for my inactivity on the message boards is that I have not visited Spain for over two years. There is no value in my opinions or advice.

My motivation to still drop by MadridMan is I still want to visit more of Spain. There is plenty of unfinished business for me in Spain. I was even toying with the idea of Portugal/Spain visit early this year but with the economy in the US getting worst I decided not to. I thought one vacation this year on a budget would be a better idea.

Bottom line MM, there are many people here that are “active”. They are like me nothing to say but are still happy that I can read about Spain and that MadridMan is doing fine too! thumbsup

Bill
Posted by: vicki

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 03/24/08 05:47 PM

Yeah - what Bill said! hearts
Posted by: megia

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 05/27/08 01:57 PM

Hi Everyone smile

It's been *ages* since I've been here to read, post, participate, so whenever I come back I'm reluctant to post because nobody knows me... my fault for not being here more often... frown

But I do think about this message board a lot and reflect upon many of the discussions that have taken place here over the years...

MadridMan, what a *great* service you have provided over the years for education on Spain! thank you so much for all your hard work, to share with us, the internet, and the world...!

My excuse for not participating more is just that life has had my family and I so busy for so long...

I've been back and forth to Spain many times in the past few years, and even found a great deal of peace here ( even tho the discussions got so heated) right around 11M when I was in Madrid and arriving at Atocha the morning of the bombings. During that crazy time it was really comforting to be able to be with this forum in the midst of all of that chaos...

Anyway,, just wanted to say thanks to MM! now, off to catch up on your ( MM's) life on the blog!!

Thanks,
andrew
Posted by: Chus

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 05/27/08 04:58 PM

Same as Bill from NYC and Megia!!

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 05/28/08 03:43 AM

Thanks everybody!!! laugh

megia, no need to apologize. "Life Happens", and of that I'm keenly aware. Every year we humans have more and more distractions, more forms of entertainment all competing for our time.

I was having a similar conversation at one of the recent Suma Flamenco concerts and the topic was broached that it would be a shame if gypsy families stopped teaching (either on purpose or just because) FAMILY gypsy dances because now their kids are distracted by more television, more internet, more videogames and text messaging and they're not as interested in maintaining the family ways.

It's the same thing with our message board or XYZ website or XYZ service. Every year we have more competition for our time, more competition for our mind, more things pulling us in some other direction. I'm sure it's been like this since the beginning of time just now at a much more accelerated rate.

So I'm happy people continue to enjoy our little message board (our 8-year anniversary is this month!) and the MadridMan website, blog, etcetera. I too try to keep finding ways to entertain and educate the visitor.

Thanks for coming, sharing, and hopefully enjoying yourself while here.

Very sincerely, MadridMan
Posted by: billy the man

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 05/28/08 03:54 AM

"quote"
There are still some of the members from the first couple of years here on the message board but, logically, few stick around. Members come and members go but a few stay somewhat active.

why could you not put one of them counter things on your site to give an indication of how many people have visited the site?
the only problem is people like me who only log in when i am posting, and i visit the site frequently through the day virtualy everyday looking for new post, they would probably not be counted.
to reiterate what members have been saying yes its a fantastic,informative,site and the things ive learned about spain could probably never be found on one forum thanks for all the hard work
clap clap clap thumbsup

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 05/28/08 04:22 AM

Thanks billy the man!

You wrote:
Quote:
why could you not put one of them counter things on your site to give an indication of how many people have visited the site?
I could put a counter on the message board but it would start NOW and would not be a good indication of the hundreds of thousands of past visitors we've had.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Yankaluz

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 06/16/08 03:13 PM

Ditto the others, it's been a while now and it's good to know that is going well.
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 06/30/08 02:49 AM

Hi eveyone! My, it's been quite a while since I've posted or visited MadridMan. I was inspired to write when I read posts from a few old timers that they too haven’t been around for a while. It's been almost three years since my last post and I've noticed quite a bit has changed. There's a few names that I still remember, but so many new ones. I may have to get to know everyone again. Is Booklady still around? I used to enjoy her posts. She always had very informative responses to topics that were discussed. This has always been one of my favorite sites and I remember how boisterous it would get with some of the topics until our host finally had to put a stop to it! You’ve done an excellent job MM, your site is great and your blog is awesome, though I’ve only had a chance to glance at it and quickly read the topics. I promise to read up on it soon.

So many things have happened in my life since I last posted anything. I was planning a trip to Spain with my wife as part of our 25th anniversary. She had been ill for several years but it seemed that she was getting stronger, so we planned a trip for 3 weeks. Sadly, she took a down turn in her health and she passed away almost two years ago. She died on July 16, 2006.

She knew how much I enjoyed MadridMan and posting messages. I would read the messages that other members posted and ones that I would post. She liked to add her own responses via my messages, but she never joined the group. She said it was my group and didn't want to butt in. Since then I stopped posting messages. I pretty much lost any interest. Not just here but other message boards and blogs to which I belong.

I pretty much shut down my life for a year. Not wanting to do much of anything. I didn't even want to visit with my family, just wanting to be left alone. Recently I started living again and going out and reconnecting. It's just so different when you don't have your loved one to share the things you both enjoyed...a trip to the beach, the movies, dinner at your favorite restaurant. The joy is gone and the memories are too strong. Yet something inside tells you...you must move on! Life doesn't stand still. My boys still live with me and we've all helped each other to cope with our loss. I'm happy to say that they weathered the loss of their mother very well and have moved on with there lives. Jacob is a photographer and Isaac is still in school and in a metal band. They plan to record their first cd next week! Okay, so it's not my type of music but I must admit they are good!

I didn't write this message to garner sympathy...far from it. I'm moving on with my life as my dear Jennifer would have wanted me to do and also to let the group know what's been going on. I know that some members knew she was ill. I just wanted to share...AND...with MadridMan's permission I would like to post a link to my family's Photobucket page to share photos of my beautiful wife and family.

Saludos a todos. Me alegro en la oportunidad de comunicar con amistadez ortra vez!

OsoMajor
Hector Jaramillo

Photobucket Jaramillo Family
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 06/30/08 09:07 AM

OsoMajor,

It's good to see you back even though, if I recall correctly, our political alignments are quite different. I too had a similar loss of someone quite near and dear about 10 years ago now, and even though I toughed it out, as I had to, and tried my best, I feel that I've recovered only about 85% of myself, but that has to do.

I recently had the opportunity, at a graduation party, to speak with a man from Valencia who has been living in the States for almost a decade. Of course, as always with me, politics came up in our discussion. But what struck me most was that even though he was somewhat conservative (we agree about Franco) still his world view is so different. My conclusion is that I can understand someone coming from such a different culture as ours to have a unique world view, but not my own countrymen.

Good to see you back, and hang in there, life goes on whether you want it to or not.
Posted by: laduque

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 06/30/08 12:32 PM

OsoMajor,
Welcome back...Thank you for sharing your story and Jennifer's, it's how we all stay connected...to know about each other, not just about all things Spain (here) but who we are and how we got to this place...all of us on different roads. I hope you stay around and that Madridman's board gives you a few sunny spots along your path.

Saludos, Lisa (laduque)
Posted by: Valenciano_en_Madrid

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 06/30/08 05:16 PM

MadridMan!
As a Spaniard, I'd like to thank you for this website and for what you've done promoting the real image of Spain abroad.

Thank you very much again.

Greetings
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 07/01/08 01:07 AM

Laduque, Gazpacho...thank you both for you kinds words. I'm glad you responded as I remember both of you well! I've always enjoyed MM board and I've learned alot about Spain from it via MM and folks like yourselves. I intend on sticking around, putting in my two cents for what it's worth!

Saludos,

OsoMajor smile
Posted by: JAcosta

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 07/11/08 06:21 PM

Let me chime in and thank you for the site. I first Traveled to Spain in 2006 and visited an old college friend (Spainish). I was simply taken by the country.

This site and others helps me maintain the connection and desire to get back there. Perhaps to find employement that allows me to travel to Spain more often than the once or every other year I can go there.

Also through this site I was able to find other sites about Spain like Ben & Marina's Notesfromspain.com and some other spanish podcasts.

So thanks for being there

And I wish you great success with your businesses and you many [InsertSpainCityName]MAN.com endevours.

Best

Joe Acosta
Los Angeles California

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 07/12/08 02:11 AM

Thanks a lot, JAcosta! Glad to have you here and hope you make it back to Spain someday very very soon.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 07/14/08 07:03 PM

Thanks,

I was in Spain in 2007 for 5 very quick days.

This year seems out of the question.

Hopefully 2008.

Saludos

Do you have a real first name or do we just stick with MM

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 07/15/08 02:43 AM

"MadridMan" will be fine in our public forum. I'll tell you my secret agent name in person when we meet. wink
Posted by: MedicalMan

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 07/18/08 12:07 PM

MM....Its been 1 year since me and my family moved from Madrid to Hawaii, and we sure miss Madrid. Everyone dreams about a Hawaiian vacation, but let me tell you.....living here is not glamerous at all. The taffic here in Honolulu is worse than Madrid ever was, it is more expensive to live here in Honolulu than it was in Madrid, and the Spanish people are way more considerate than the polynesians.......I need to find another job in Spain.....Saludos

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 07/18/08 06:48 PM

Ok well hopefully I get back to Spain in 2008.
Posted by: Puna

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 08/04/08 10:50 AM

As another Spain-lover that has been around this board for years but recently not posting - MM, we thank you and really appreciate all you do to keep us in touch with eachother and the place we love so much. clap clap clap
MedicalMan - I hear ya - and that is something only someone from Hawaii can say!!!!
Posted by: pedmar

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 08/04/08 01:03 PM

well was traveling on business in Brazil and i am back just in time to check in and go right out again to San Sebastian and Bordeaux for my august vacation.

I always think of this site with fondness because it talks about something very close to me MADRID and Spain in general. I will be in Madrid for the Real Madrid vs Sevilla match on or around 6:7 december meeting with a group of Madridistas. maybe a chance to meet some of the real die hard fans of football:soccer here;;;;
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 08/04/08 02:02 PM

Not a die-hard football fan but would LOVE to see Real Madrid play ( In 3 years here I haven't done it ) . Of course I think Sevilla gave Real Madrid "Reyes" who may have left now but more exciting is that by the time you're here thay may have got christiano Ronaldo .. THE most exciting and charismatic footballer around now .. They are talking about 100 million Euros as the price .. ! Steve
Posted by: billy the man

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 08/05/08 02:53 AM

i would not read to much into the media about Ronaldo, he will not be joining Real Madrid in the near future, Ferguson is adament hes going nowhere he has said he can rot in the stands to see out his contract before he will let him join Madrid (anyway hes on his way to the reebok in exchange for nicky hunt)(private bwfc joke lol)he just likes all the attention i think by not denying or confirming anything.
But like the saying never say never so he will join Madrid at some point
Posted by: gsobotta

Re: MadridMan! Wow! - 09/05/08 03:17 PM

I noticed MadridMan still considers himself a Buckeye. I am waiting for the Buckeyes to show up in East Lansing on October 18. I think I smell upset. How do you keep track of them in Spain? How do you get an American football fix in Europe? This fall, I will be in East Lansing sitting in the stands, cheering on those Spartans.

It has been a long time since I have posted a reply here, I have been lurking. I haven’t traveled to Spain in quite awhile, but I been traveling only to other countries in Europe