My love of Spainish culture.

Posted by: Armando Lopez de ELIZALDE de AYALA

My love of Spainish culture. - 03/09/05 09:12 PM

Hello, I'm 6'2", Grayish-blue eyes athletic, San Diego living.
One day, i will visit Spain. My heritage. Sephardic. From jalisco, Mex.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: My love of Spainish culture. - 03/09/05 09:48 PM

I wish you the best of luck to visit Spain someday, Armando Lopez. smile Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Eddie

Re: My love of Spainish culture. - 03/10/05 06:42 AM

Armando:
When you go to Spain you must visit Alcala de Henares (Madrid), birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.
The reason I say this is its similarity to Guadalajara (Jalisco). The Universidad in Alcala was apparently built in the 16th Century as were many of the older buildings in Guadalajara.

You will feel a real bond!
Posted by: Fernando

Re: My love of Spainish culture. - 03/10/05 02:28 PM

How interesting!

Do you still speak sefardí?

It has always amazed me how sephards (is that the word in english?) all over the world have kept the culture and the language for all these centuries, in spite of how bad they were treated by Spain when they were expelled in 1492.

I hope you can somewhen come back home! smile

Fernando
Posted by: jabch

Re: My love of Spainish culture. - 03/10/05 05:20 PM

At least in Mexico the Spanish crown forbade the Sefardies from speaking other than Spanish and were given land only under the condition to become Catholic. Supposedly, they kept their traditions in secret, but eventually their descendants mixed with the native people and disappeared as a group hundreds of years ago.

Armando: every post you mention that you are "6'2", Grayish-blue eyes athletic"...if you are like this among Mexicans don't expect them to accept you.
Posted by: miche_dup1

Re: My love of Spainish culture. - 03/11/05 03:08 PM

There's a performance here in London of Sephardic songs ballads and love songs of the Sephardic tradition and is run in conjunction with the cervantes institute and UCL