Spanish Art in New York

Posted by: caminante

Spanish Art in New York - 03/16/03 09:23 PM

Today we went to a great art exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum (NYC)featuring the Spanish influence on French art (Diego Velazquez and Edouard Manet). The first part featured the Spanish paintings from a number of artists that were plundered from Spain by Napoleon and his army and taken to France. Quite a few of these were from the Prado. The next part showed the French paintings that were produced using the influence of the earlier Spanish art or using Spain as a subject. It was a great and very educational exhibition. It will run through June. Be sure to catch if it if you are in New York.
Posted by: Melinda328

Re: Spanish Art in New York - 03/16/03 11:23 PM

I agree - it's an excellent exhibit! We didn't get to spend too much time there because we were at the Met the second night it was open, but I'm going back with my Spanish lit class in two weeks. I can't wait to get a better look at it - hopefully it won't be as crowded on a weekday afternoon.

And remember, the met is pay what you want! So you have no excuse to miss it! We saw it for a dollar.

Melinda
Posted by: Arturo

Re: Spanish Art in New York - 03/19/03 10:44 PM

Don't forget Matisse Picasso at the Museum of Modern Art through May 19, 2003. MoMA is now in the borough of Queens while the Manhattan location is under construction and renovation.

http://www.MoMA.org