Today's question mon Madrid is.......

Posted by: Anchovy Front

Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 02:28 PM

Can anyone tell me the answer to the following.....

"Who had her left arm broken off in Madrid by vandals in September last year?" confused

Winning answer gets a virtual pat on the back from me and my eternal thanks! laugh
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 02:32 PM

Quote:
Today's question mon Madrid is.......
mon Madrid?? wink

I'll refrain even though I know the answer to this simple question. That is if, in fact, it actually happened in September. (can't be too careful about TRICK questions. wink

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 02:35 PM

Oops! My fingers are too fat and I shouldn't have had the m in front! Must check the spelling in future!

No catch, MM, but it's the last question in a quiz and I can't find the answer anywhere and it doesn't ring any bells at all. confused

I can only think it refers to a statue in the city, or the Prado or somewhere like that?
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 03:40 PM

Isn't it the Cibeles thingie wotsit? confused

Jo

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 03:52 PM

DING DING DING DING!! WE HAVE A WINNER!! laugh

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 04:00 PM

The Cibeles thingie wotsit?? Of course, I should have thought of that!! Well done, Jo, you get the Pat On The Back - hurrah!

Er, what exactly happened then? (he says, still mystified confused )

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 04:23 PM

From http://www.ciudadrodrigo.net/digital/hojas/2002/05oct02.htm :

Quote:
CIBELES: Gran diosa, madre de toda vida. Se la considera la diosa de laTierra, de la fecundidad, del hogar y de la familia.

En Pesinonte nació la leyenda del pastor Atis, del que la diosa se había enamorado, que enloqueció y murió después de haberse automutilado, pero resucitó más tarde, siendo transportado por Cibeles en su carro tirado por leones

La pobre diosa no gana para sustos. Resulta que en una noche de juerga, unos jóvenes (ya se verá luego el adjetivo merecedor) quisieron bañarse en su fuente. Uno de ellos, más valiente y más atrevido, ataviado con un moderno calzoncillo, quiso, tal vez, alcanzar el cielo llegando a lo más alto de la diosa y, en su intento de ascensión, se apoyó en la mano izquierda de la señora y la rompió. Real More...

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 05:25 PM

Thank you MM. I consider myself enlightened. I'll share the ten million Euro eek prize with you and Jo-Anne, naturally! :p
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 01/13/03 05:58 PM

And for the bonus prize: Why is La Cibeles riding in a chariot?

Hint: Go to Cibeles and ask the old man in the boina near the cuartel for the "answer". laugh
Posted by: Martín de Madrid

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 02/06/03 02:47 PM

If you had had your hand broken off three times you'd feel entitled to ride in the chariot rather than walk too!
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 02/26/03 04:28 AM

Anchovy

... Cough cough!....

UPDATE REQUIRED

And......?

wink wink wink rolleyes wink wink wink

Re: Today's question mon Madrid is....... - 02/26/03 07:19 AM

Ah yes, I was hoping you wouldn't come back to this.....

I deny emphatically saying anything about sharing prizes... you can't prove a thing.... rolleyes

The virtual pat on the back is given with pleasure though, as it just so happens that I, Mr Smarty Pants, was deemed to be the only entrant with a perfect score of 40 out of 40 confused and in doing so have won two return scheduled flights to the UK with Monarch.

(Cue the awards ceremony standard speech)

I'd like to thank Jo and MM, without whom this would all still be a dream and ... I... I.... I'm sorry, I'm just too emotional to continue... frown Thanks again!! :p