American Club of Madrid

Posted by: Steve-in-Madrid

American Club of Madrid - 08/01/02 06:42 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you Americans out there living in Madrid are a member of the American Club. If so, how are their gatherings, happy hours, etc.

I was thinking about joining but was hoping to get a little feedback first.

Steve
Posted by: toddy

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/14/02 12:28 PM

Steve,
I'm sorry no one has given you a reply:(
I remember a while back doing a search and finding out about atleast one club. It's been awhile so I can't remember the name. If you lose hope, you can always put an ad out in a newspaper. I'm sure you could come up with a lot of great American activities. Good Luck!

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/19/02 06:26 AM

No problem. It was worth a try...

There is indeed an American Club of Madrid and I was just wondering about it.

The truth of the matter is that I´ve had very little contact with Americans over here. I´m married to a Spaniard and just about everyone here at my office is Spanish. That´s all good, but every now and then, it would be interesting to interact with other Americans over here.

But that´s one of the great things about this web site that I came across last month. This message board is excellent and I already feel more "in touch."

Regards,

Steve
Posted by: toddy

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/19/02 09:35 PM

This Bud's for you!
(you can find it at most Dia's and Al Campos, probably in 7-11)
Oh by the way ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL, it's Monday night you know. I hope they have some sports bars there so you can grab a taste of great ol' America!
Posted by: mencey

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/19/02 11:13 PM

Do they put American football games on the tele in Spain? I've never seen one. I knew that they were available through Canal +, but have never seen a "sports bar" w/ Futbol Americana.
Posted by: tonytorero

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/20/02 12:57 AM

Hi Steve. I too am an American married to a Spaniard who is currently living in Madrid and I can understand your sentiments perfectly...Sometimes, it's nice to talk about an 'illegal forward lateral' or a 'squeeze bunt' and find yourself with somebody who understands what the heck you're talking about. rolleyes

If I remember correctly, I recall seeing advertisements for an American Business Mens' club of sorts in the Broadsheet magazine. In-Madrid could conceivably mention them as well. You may want to try one of those free publications if that's what you're looking for.

I don't know how long you've been in Madrid, but I have to tell you that there are some bilingual type groups that get together for one reason or another. For example, my wife and I meet regularly with one such group for parents of English speaking kids. I also know of an English speaking 'comedy troupe' that gets together in Madrid frequently. Feel free to send me an email and I can try and give you any more specific info for one of these groups should either be of interest to you.

Mencey: Yes, you can get American Foot(less)-ball on both Canal+ as well as SportMania. To be honest though, I find their broadcasts a bit annoying if you already understand the sport because they spend most of the game explaining the rules to those who don't. (An absolutely NECESSARY evil in the case of American Football unfortunately.) My buddies who have been at Torrejon and Rota tell me that there they have special decoders that let them watch stateside television. I'd name my next child after the person that gets me one of those! :p
Posted by: MAD for Madrid

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/20/02 06:47 AM

I looked into the American Women's Club but it seems really geared to women who don't work. I work long hard hours and can't make meetings in the middle of the day. I haven't followed up on the American Business Women's group. I would actually be more interested in hanging out with the guys watching a baseball or American football game. (no Bud though, this gal is a Guinness drinker!)

I don't yet own a TV so if anyone knows a good bar where one can watch said American sports and wants someone to hang with. Let me know cool
Posted by: Espe3

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/20/02 09:45 AM

Go to the American Embassy. I know that they have a group that has get togethers and its not JUST for the people in the Embassy. They have a newsletter also, I'm sure that you could arrange to get them delivered to you if you stop by and inquire about the activities that they have for americans.

Good luck!
Posted by: Puna

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/21/02 01:23 PM

Espe3 - your post just took me back years ago and to a different country. While living in Australia that was exactly how I watched the 49ers play! Thanks for the giggle smile

Re: American Club of Madrid - 08/21/02 01:58 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I´ll definitely follow up on some of them.

Tony- for watching football games, you might want to listen live online to an American radio station to get the audio while watching the tv for the video. All course this would only workif:

1. your computer is located within earshot of your computer

2. the game is being broadcast live

I´ listen to a lot of radio at home on the Internet. I´m actually listening to Jim Rome´s sports talk show right now. It´s a good way to keep up on sports back in the US.

Steve