World Cup!

Posted by: toddy

World Cup! - 05/28/02 11:15 PM

As a good sportsman USA team fan, I do have to say good luck to Spain and may the best team win!
Viva the World Cup!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: LostInMadrid

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 06:37 AM

Good! A new group where we can talk about Cup now that it's in progress! Everyone knows that Spain is playing Slovenia in like 45 minutes, right?

How freakin' pissed am I? There's a complete blackout of the games here unless you have Via Digital satelite television which I don't have. (Long story involving wacky neighbors not liking the cables and ripping control boxes off the wall after we got it installed). The Spain games, of course, will be live but the rest I've had to keep track of on the web and ridiculously shot clips on TV.

You guys in the U.S. are probably watching a lot more soccer than I am right now here in Spain.

-Russ
Posted by: jaimemiguel

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 07:12 AM

It is on in 15 minutes on ESPN here in the USA! laugh
Posted by: Asterault

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 07:57 AM

Russ dude it's on Antena 3...

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 08:13 AM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

had to fix that

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 08:17 AM

Raul scores in 44th minute through the legs of a defender!!!!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 09:25 AM

I think I broke the message board...

Anyway we won!!!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 12:05 PM

WOO HOOO!!!!!! I read the message board at 9:15am this morning or thereabouts, saw Jamiemiguel's and Asterault's message about the start time and the first (?) goal by Spain and turned on the TV to catch the last 5 minutes. I was casually walking around when the clock was ticking UP at 47 minutes, thinking I had another 13 minutes or thereabouts, and missed the final minute or so... maybe the game is 48 minutes long?? DOH! Just another typical "American" who knows nothing about soccer/fútbol. hehehe..

CONGRATULATIONS SPAIN!!! 3-1 !!! Now, who do "we" play (i.e. "BEAT") next??

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 01:10 PM

MM: in fútbol, extra time is added at the end of the halves for game stoppage (also known as player theatrics laugh )... so usually about 3 or 4 minutes is played after the 45.

Next up is Paraguay, on the 7th at 11h (here).

England tied Sweden earlier in their very hard group, and the United States starts on the 5th against Portugal at 11h. 5 in the morning for you folks there. eek
Posted by: nevado

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 06:06 PM

Ahhh, player theatrics! You had to love the Slovenia's yellow cards for their atempts to gain penalty shots! HA! Toma!
Posted by: Fernando

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 09:48 PM

It is said that there was 50 years since Spain didn't win its first match in the World Cup. This team has broken that statistic smile

Does that mean that we will at last reach semi-finals? GO OOOOOON!!!!! smile

I will watch the matches of the US team. Hope it goes far smile

Fernando

UPDATE: The page of the TV Channel which shows the World Cup: Antena 3 TV (you may even download the goals of the spanish team). It is in spanish.
Posted by: taravb

Re: World Cup! - 06/02/02 09:57 PM

I watched a bit today, now that I am quickly becoming an expert rolleyes on World Cup soccer. It was SO COOL!!! I had forgotten just how fun it is to watch!

Sorry for beginning a separate thread on this, MM--I searched, but only in a couple of forums--I didn't look in Travel:Food, Drink, and Entertainment (what IS this thread doing here???).

As for my own soccer/futbol career, it ended at age 9 when I got knocked unconscious while trying (I think!) to hit the ball with my head. Maybe the ball was trying to hit me.

And I ended up a perpetual spectator, not much of an athlete!

In exchange for getting me hooked on World Cup soccer, I am going to get all of you addicted to watching the University of Florida Gator football (American-style) team!

wink :p cool

Re: World Cup! - 06/03/02 07:00 AM

That arbitro for Turkey/Brazil SUCKED!!!!!
Posted by: Kurt

Re: World Cup! - 06/04/02 12:34 AM

Speaking of referees (as they are known here in the States...

There were ome questionable calls/non-calls at the end of the Spain-Slovenia match that were very favorable to our boys in Red. Glad to see the Spanish side get the millenium off to a good start with an opening win. It was very kind of the FIFA folks to set the match for 0630 Chicago local time. I was actually able to watch!

Now lets see if USA can advance. Keep your eye on DeMarco Beasley (who happens to labor for Chicago's Major League club.)

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 05:47 AM

Vaya tela! Estados Unidos 2 - Portugal 0 in the first half! Surprising to say the least! eek
Posted by: caminante

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 05:52 AM

Make that 3-1 after the first half!!!! Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 05:56 AM

Final! EEUU 3 Portugal 2! laugh

I wish EEUU all the luck!

Pues suerte

-L

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 07:11 AM

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh U-S-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Nevado, hope you had a good time at the game cool cool You got to see Figo and a great US team. Actually, you didn't see much of Figo.

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 07:52 AM

BOINK! Woo Hoo!! I must say I too was surprised and excited to turn on the TV at 5:30am this morning JUST before Brian McBride (OF the Columbus Crew soccer team in beautiful Columbus, Ohio, USA) knocked in the 3rd and final goal for the USA. I continued watching and saw the soon-after goal by Portugal and the following 20 minutes or so before I had to leave for work. It doesn't seem, from what the announcers said, that Portugal has a very good team so I'm not sure if this is a good win or not. But, at least we scored three goals and that, I believe, is a "good thing". Next game is on June 10th for the USA, correct? I look forward to it.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 10:59 AM

MM: Portugal came in rated fifth in the world and scored more goals in Euro qualifying than anyone else on the continent. The greatest win in US World Cup history (there have only been about three wins, though) was in 1950 when we beat England 1-0. Not the greatest win ever, but this has to be a huge upset...

At least now we won't finish DEAD LAST like in France. We only scored one goal (your boy McBride) back in '98, and lost to Iran. We'll leave the "dead last" to Saudi Arabia, after getting thumped by Alemania in the opener 8-0.
Posted by: Cooter

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 11:07 AM

MM:

This was a HUGE win for the US team. Portugal has the FIFA player of the year (Luis Figo, who plays for Real Madrid), advanced to the quarterfinals of Euro 2000, and is currently FIFA ranked 5th in the world. Portugal also scored more goals than any other European team in the qualifiers for the world cup. This is the first time the US has beaten such a world class opponent since England in 1950, and is the greatest moment in US soccer since we beat Colombia in '94. Go USA!!!!

Next game is June 10 against South Korea. It should be great, as the Koreans put up a great performance against Poland.

And, remember, Friday is Spain against Paraguay. 5 AM Eastern time. España TU-TU-TU!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 05:49 PM

Caminante, I'm not sure if I was at the correct match or not? I bought tickets to see Portugal vs. U.S. but Portugal never showed up???? Oh well, it was an awesome match anyway and the atmoshphere was supurb. That first goal straight away really got things pumped up.
We're thinking of heading down to see Spain on Friday, not sure if I can wait until Wednesday!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/05/02 07:35 PM

Portugal is a great team smile This makes more valuable the US victory. Hope they make to the next stage laugh

Fernando
Posted by: Wolf

Re: World Cup! - 06/06/02 06:32 AM

Geez Louise!

The US upsets Portugal in the world cup? Next thing you know Miami will be seeking to host the winter olympics games - rolleyes When you throw a ball at an American kid they catch it with their hands, they don't kick it, or bounce it off their heads! The only American who I can recall doing that was Jose Canseco when a baseball he was trying to catch conked him on the head and went over the wall for a home run!!! eek Needless to say, Jose has spent years trying to live that one down, and the last few trying to find enough room to bend over and tie his shoes since he has gotten a "bit rotund."

Next thing you know Calibasco will be seen running down the field for the US futbol team on a break-away, and out of the corner of our eye we'll see the dreaded Anchovy plodding towards him intent on cutting him off from the goal line, for the Engish side! laugh Just the collision, and choice words, will be enough for me to pay the price of admission - wink

Wolf (Who's sports playing days are over, fortunately - :p )

Re: World Cup! - 06/06/02 06:09 PM

No Wolf, next thing you know Cooter :p will be repeating EVERYTHING I've posted in ALL of my posts. Imagine the ramifications of that happening! Now double the board members will be doubly-bored with double the nonsense!!! I can't take it...I'm going to run off and join the US Football...er...Soccer team!

P.S. Cooter: It's nice to know my facts are straight..."out of the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established."

Re: World Cup! - 06/06/02 07:31 PM

Cooter,

I think Calibasco said that. If it keeps up he'll probably run off and join the US football....er... soccer team!

I'd imagine he'd be glad that his facts are confirmed by several witnesses though ---- laugh

Wolf

[ 06-06-2002, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

Re: World Cup! - 06/07/02 06:46 AM

Children behave. Presently here in Barcelona the streets are quiet as España sends Chilavert and his mouth on the first plane back to Asunción. Ciao ciao.
Posted by: Espe3

Re: World Cup! - 06/07/02 09:21 AM

Ole!!!!!!!!! Espana!!!!!!!! smile
(on the way to bring the cup home! smile )
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: World Cup! - 06/07/02 10:08 AM

España is already on the next round (3-1 to Paraguay) smile

Re: World Cup! - 06/07/02 11:05 AM

Spain 3: Paraguay 1. I enjoyed the Paraguayo goalie spouting off before the game with "I'm gonna score two on Iker (Casillas)". Whatever...just like in '98, Spain is doing its best to eliminate Paraguay. What a great start for Spain...two games and six goals!!! ¡Aupa España!

Re: World Cup! - 06/07/02 01:11 PM

Arriba España!!! Good win over Paraguay. Solid play in the second half from Spain. The "muro guarani" was no match for the Iberian wrecking ball...

Calibasco: While I have been accused of being fairly repetitive myself, take a look at the time stamps on our two previous messages--they are seven minutes apart. You posted yours while I was composing mine. Good to see that great minds think alike.

Now, what should my strategy be for the US/Korea? Go to sleep early, wake up for the game, then go to sleep again? Or, stay awake until after the game and then sleep? Maybe I should just take Monday off......

Re: World Cup! - 06/07/02 01:33 PM

Cooter that is my plan. Go to bed at 8 or 9 and set the alarm for 2:20. Then go back to bed after the game. I may repeat this later in the week for other games.

Re: World Cup! - 06/07/02 01:53 PM

Yeah, the scheduling has been rough. I've taken to going to bed at 10 every night so I can wake up for the 4:30 or 5 AM games (like Spain today). It's a little rough. Fortunately, I work for a largely European company and have a French boss, so we are all on the same schedule.

Re: World Cup! - 06/07/02 04:43 PM

I think you can get away with it... on the news tonight were pictures of the Spanish senate being disrupted by news of the game, as well as them announcing it on airline flights, etc... I hope they catch on in EEUU too!!

From the sports illustrated website (american sports magazine):

zero of the day:
Jose Luis Chilavert (Paraguay).
Before the match he was bragging that he would score two goals against Spain. He would have been better advised to focus on his main job, keeping balls out of his own goal. He was out of position on Fernando Morientes' first goal, but on the second, he managed to do even worse, missing the ball entirely and letting it run through to the Real Madrid striker. Chilavert's mistake was unforgivable, especially for a goalkeeper of his quality.

Re: World Cup! - 06/08/02 01:32 AM

Anyone one care to take a look into the not-to-distant-future?!...

In the round of eight...U.S.A. beats Spain...

Italy (after beating USA in semis) wins World Cup by beating....Sweden!

I won't win any popularity contests here. But, you heard it here first...

Re: World Cup! - 06/08/02 02:20 AM

Hey Cooter...I was just having some fun...the simultaneous post happens all the time. Just ask Wolf who did it right after you!

CaliBasco [Who always loves a good simultaneous]

Re: World Cup! - 06/08/02 07:47 AM

Abso-positively on that repeat thing. It happens all the time. That's why I posted my pun behind it. Cali and I have had it happen to each other so often we would have sworn we were copying each other. Wasn't true though. It just means, like you indicated, that great minds think alike. Of course that don't work too well for me since I'm a half wit, but I guess that tells everyone where they stand when they run into it when posting the same info as me - laugh

I'm going to watch the U.S. vs So. Korea game on TV. It starts here in the midwest at 1 AM Monday morning (Sunday night at 11 PM for Cali on the left coast.). What interests me as much as the game is the anti-American sentiment that has caused the Korean government to dramatically increase the protection for the U.S. team already. It's a shame that people can't remember that the damned race for the World Cup is a game, not a replacement or a prelude for a world war. If the U.S. wins, the Korean government feels there will be rioting, looting, and deaths. They also plan on getting the U.S. out of the stadium, and onto a flight out of the country immediately if they beat the Koreans. It's "for their own safety," the Koreans say. They are our allies? We keep hearing they are as we pour billions of dollars into their country for their protection against North Korea. An interesting scenario from someone who is supposed to be a friend.

Just imagine six friends/neighbors sitting around playing poker at Joe's house. At the end of the night, if Joe doesn't win, he throws a tantrum, runs outside and burns everyone's cars, throws rocks through their home windows, and starts waving a molotov cocktail in the air, threatening to throw it at the other players, their homes, or their families.

I'm afraid that's what has come of World Cup competition. It's also why I often wish the U.S. wouldn't even have a national team. If the U.S. wins the game, our country will essentially be held up as the cause of the riots, and cast as the bad guy once again. If fans from other nations want to act like vicious animals so be it, but we should refuse to be a party to it.

Wolf (Who thinks many nations should take a look at their sports fans, and realize that they reflect the true attitude of their people in many ways.) frown

Re: World Cup! - 06/08/02 11:45 AM

That´s a silly post, I think someone should watch less Fox news channel... and Koreans have a long and distinguished history of some of the finest rioting around. laugh

Re: World Cup! - 06/11/02 07:56 PM

Politics aside, let's see what Spain can do tomorrow morning against South Africa. I'm hoping to see some of the lesser-known players in action.

Re: World Cup! - 06/11/02 09:02 PM

Cooter (or others), what time is tomorrow's game? Is it at the usual 5:00am Eastern USA time (11am Spain time)??

Re: World Cup! - 06/11/02 10:33 PM

MM - 7:25 AM EST on ESPN

Re: World Cup! - 06/12/02 09:49 AM

Woo Hoo! Another win by Spain! 3-2 against South Africa. Unfortunately, I didn't see any of this one.
Posted by: El Boqueron

Re: World Cup! - 06/12/02 09:51 AM

Spain 3 - South Africa 2. Woo hoo! Spain and England are both through to the knock-outs (Spain looking decidedly superior). We are a happy household. However, Ireland will no longer be one of the teams we are supporting!

Re: World Cup! - 06/14/02 06:59 AM

What will do USA today? They'll try to win? or they'll look for a 0-0 to avoid Italia?

Re: World Cup! - 06/14/02 10:09 AM

USA did it smile

For me it seems incredible that a country with no soccer culture has created a good and competitive team, leaving Portugal, a great team, away from the next round.

I really hope Spain would win Ireland, though they are a tough team. It is a pitty that luck matched us with Ireland. I like it wink

It would be historical if we made to the quarter-finals. Four wons on a row...

Fernando

Re: World Cup! - 06/14/02 11:15 AM

The best part of the next round is that France, Argentina, and Portugal get to watch it from the comfort of their own collective living rooms. :p :p Actually, Zidane will be watching from his suite at Le Club Hair pour L'Hommes.

Of course the other funny thing is that the US-Mexico match presents the following two possible outcomes: 1) Should the US win, someone on the Mexican team will probably be shot as they disembark in the D.F. airport since they will have "disgraced" the nation; or 2) should Mexico win, the American players will still disembark in anonymity at whatever airport they land at, and we in SoCal will get to watch all the locals with Mexican ties act like they won the war for Texas or something. At least there are five Spanish-language channels with which to see all of the rioting live.

A country with "no soccer culture" (you guessed it, the good ol' US of A) also doesn't run the risk of economic market failure, pandemic Japanese student beatings in the capital, or even shootings of national players should they lose. This seems to be a plus.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to a nice, subdued and safe sports celebration. The Lakers victory parade starts in about an hour-and-a-half. laugh

CaliBasco [Who wants Spain to win it all, and for the US to beat Mexico just to watch their faces in defeat...]

Re: World Cup! - 06/14/02 04:09 PM

Uh... ok. confused

If the EEUU continues to play like they did today they won't be around much longer... though it's good they squeaked through.

Re: World Cup! - 06/14/02 06:08 PM

Okay, MM...that guy in the photo was sitting about 5 rows up from me! WHERE AM I????? And, how could you not have watched the match? Shame!

Re: World Cup! - 06/15/02 01:33 AM

HEY!... What a first round!! Its one hour 'till the kick-off for round two, Germany-Paraguay. I've decided to stay up for this match, rather than awake at 0630 for UK-Denmarck. This way I'll catch a few hours ZZZ's before I'm due at the Cubs-White Sox baseball game (which for you non-Chicagoans, is just about as big as any world cup match!).

Spain, along with Brazil, looks to be the class of the tournament so far. But watch out for those Germans. And don't forget the Swedes (whom I've been backing since the begining). USA-Mexico is a match with A LOT riding on it. Thats a border war, with braggin' rites on the pitch. For CaliBasco's sake alone, USA needs a win. Then, a match with Espana in the semis...? Time surely will tell....

Re: World Cup! - 06/15/02 08:41 AM

Kurt,

I agree about the Sox/Cubs cross-town rivalry. It's big time stuff. They could triple the price of tickets for those match ups and still fill the seats. Even though I've waited patiently for over fifty years as a Sox fan, I want to see a Sox-Cubs World Series. It would be a real barn burner... even if Mrs. O'Leary's cow doesn't come into play - laugh

I think our (US) soccer team had better go ahead and make plans for their return trip home. About 8 AM ET on Monday, they should be able to board the plane - frown But then again, who knows? They did well against teams they shouldn't and badly against a team they should have played well against. Maybe they can "convince" the Mexican team to stop at Chi-Chi's for a nice Mexican dinner on Monday, a few hours before the game. That would increase our chances, since the Mexican sidelines would have to be lined with 20+ porta-potties - eek

I can just see the Mexican flags flying around LA. There's going to be shouts of, "Pancho Villa rides again!" (In Spanish of course) They may even demand we surrender California, New Mexico, and Arizona, along with Texas back to them... Gawd! frown

Wolf (Who will watch the game, waving a little 3" x 5" US flag in front of his TV, and boycott Mexican beer for a whole month if we don't beat them - wink )

Re: World Cup! - 06/15/02 10:50 PM

Despite Friday's debacle, this is still the best the USA has ever done in the World Cup. The win over Portugal was one of the biggest in the history of US Soccer. We will recover and hopefully manage a win early early Monday (US-Mexico on at 2:20 AM ET on Sunday night / Monday morning). We've beaten Mexico before and we can do it again. !!!U-S-A!!! !!!Es-pa-na!!! Watch Spain - Ireland tomorrow at 7:30 AM ET.

Re: World Cup! - 06/16/02 07:30 AM

Today, June 16
Spain vs. Ireland 1:30 PM ET ABC

Re: World Cup! - 06/16/02 10:31 AM

What a game. I'm still recovering. Go Spain!

I hate to see what I'm going to be like tomorrow when the U.S. plays. Probably not the same. Low expectations is better with the U.S. team. ;-)

I wonder if there'll be riots in LA if the U.S. wins?

-Russ

Re: World Cup! - 06/16/02 12:05 PM

I still hear my heart beating!!!!!!!!

I said that Ireland was a good team, but Spain has played very very bad. At last the luck was with us and we won on the penalties...

Let's see what we can do against Korea or Italy, I hope we play better or we will be ended...

Fernando

Re: World Cup! - 06/16/02 02:33 PM

Si... casi tenía un infarto! I wonder how many strokes and heart attacks there were in Spain!

update on monday: Nobody breathe, EEUU is ahead 2-0... almost in the quarterfinals!
Posted by: Mama Chula

Re: World Cup! - 06/17/02 04:43 AM

Oh Yesssss!! You can all breathe now. It's official, USA beat Mexico 2-0. Quarterfinals here we come!!! smile
It's 1:46 AM in California and I'm going to sleep a happy woman!
Saludos a todos,

Mama Chula
"Soccer Mom Extraordinaire"

Re: World Cup! - 06/17/02 07:31 AM

I keep saying... it is incredible how USA has build a true soccer team since the last two World Cups...

Go on! I can see it... the final between USA and Spain wink

Fernando

Re: World Cup! - 06/17/02 07:35 AM

Ooooooooohh.... imagine that!! I would be terribly conflicted if it came to that. But I guess I couldn't lose! hehhehe... Still, I hope Spain wins.

Re: World Cup! - 06/17/02 08:52 AM

MM, I would also prefer any other team than USA. I didn't like to play with Ireland either...

As I have seen, USA and Spain would play on the semifinals, if Spain wins Korea/Italy and USA wins Germany.

We will see if that happens wink Until that, go on USA and go on Spain!

Fernando

Re: World Cup! - 06/17/02 12:11 PM

I wanted to update you on the state of Los Angeles at present: The following neighborhoods are currently engulfed in flames: La Puente, East Los Angeles and the area around Slauson and Figueroa downtown. These neighborhoods have had martial law decreed: Pomona, Ontario and Santa Ana.

After riding around all weekend seeing nothing but Mexican flags on cars (those window flags that flap and fray), I have yet to see a single bandera today. Way to go USA!! BTW: Donovan is from SoCal...d'you think he wanted to win this??? To me, this win is bigger than Portugal since it's pretty much unprecedented in the US experience in World Cup play (so we went this far in 1930...Senegal wasn't even a country then, and neither was South Korea). Remember, too, that we beat Alemania in '99, 2-0, and about half of the players on both sides were in that game...¡Lo podemos hacer!

Gora USA!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/17/02 01:56 PM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

What a wonderful thing! You have no idea (or maybe you do) what it's like to be an American in Europe any time the subject of football or the World Cup comes up, there's always a section of the conversation about how much the U.S. sucks at soccer. That can be put somewhat to rest now, thank goodness. If we can beat Germany, it'll be awesome. I'd LOVE to get to the Semis before Spain (they play Korea or Italy on Saturday). And for Spain to play the U.S.?!? Heaven! It'd be a real life metaphor for the personal clashes I live everyday! I'd love to see them battle out on the field! Go USA!

At work today, it was great. My coworkers are following the games of course, but to have a real American there when the U.S. wins means that every person comes up to me today with congrats ("Thanks, thanks. I trained them well...) I've been a rabid U.S. supporter since the tourney began ("We're going to kick ass this year, you watch..."), so it's nice to see that I wasn't shooting my mouth off nothing.

OLEOLEOLEOLE!!

-Russ

Here's a good chart to follow the rest of the cup:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/t/s/g.html

Re: World Cup! - 06/18/02 05:51 AM

I see Team Mexico walked off the field after the game, refusing the exchange of jerseys, which is customary. A real tribute to their being sportsmen. rolleyes It shows how they really feel about Americans. For Gawd's sake, they used us as a punching bag for nearly fifty years on the soccer field, and when we finally have a run of 9 wins, 6 losses, and a few ties, they think all Americans are "peegs!" There were even comments about how the US beating Mexico was a "political message," as to how they are second class citizens in our eyes.

If the US should accidentally sneak past the Germans, will we be accused of "rubbing their noses" in the fact they lost WWII? confused

On the other hand, if both Spain and the US both advance, and meet on the field, I'm going to have to root for the US to kick their scrawny arses by scoring three or four quick goals to shut off that damned, "Ole... ole... ole..." which really bites! wink Americans can then start chanting, "Adios, amigos!", like they did to the Mexican team, when the game was in extra time, and there was little doubt who would win. :o

Wolf (Who's found he loves soccer, only while the US team is still in the hunt... after that... I'll watch re-runs of Magnum, P.I., or something... but I will watch Spain and root for them to go all the way, sans US. smile )

Re: World Cup! - 06/18/02 05:59 AM

Well, isn't this getting interesting! I have just about recovered from the post-match festivities on Sunday night...didn't get home until 8am. I must say, the Irish are the most spirited and gracious non-winners (don't like to say losers) I have ever met in my entire life! After the match, we entered a bar filled with Irish (about 6 of us) and they did nothing but cheer us on and congratulate us. They even were buying us beer (now does that surprise anyone here???)! smile Be proud if you are Irish, you are good people.

Now, on to Korea's challenge this evening...let's hope Italy wins and we can get the entire Korean peninsula on our side!!!!

I'll be in full force on Saturday...if anyone sees some crazy lady arrested, it's me!!! I'm the one with the out of control Riojanos!!! Viva España!

Re: World Cup! - 06/18/02 10:18 AM

No, it looks like the whole Korean peninsula will be against Spain (except for Nevado and Manolo with the drum). ( S Korea beats Italy 2-1 with a golden goal!!!!! ) I taped the second half of that game. I can't wait to see it when I get home from work.

Great job by Korea! The only team to get a point from Korea is . . . the US!!!!! Spain will have their hands full.

Let's hope for a US - Spain semifinal so LostinMadrid can see his life played out on the field. Actually that would probably mean that Spain wins wink

Re: World Cup! - 06/18/02 11:10 AM

The US team is doing very well (just a big penalty the referee didn't want to see in the Mexico match). Now, you just have to learn to call it football instead of soccer.
I'll never understand why you call football a game you play with the hands instead of the foot and with a melon instead of a ball. laugh rolleyes :p
The match against Germany I think will be difficult. Also for Spain, as Corea plays in home and they're never tired, and Raul won't be at 100%. Fortunely, Manolo with the drum will be at 200%. If Spain arrives semifinals it'll be something historic, we did it just once in the fifties in Brasil.
Posted by: taravb

Re: World Cup! - 06/18/02 11:18 AM

Miguelito, you're right...our football involves almost no foot->ball contact!

I don't know where the word "soccer" comes from, either...does anyone else?

Re: World Cup! - 06/18/02 12:28 PM

The word "soccer" has its origins in the UK. I think it has its roots as an abbreviation of "Association" - that is, it is football played according to the rules of the English FA (Football Association). It was thus known as Association Football, to distinguish it from say, Rugby Football (which is now just Rugby).

Re: World Cup! - 06/18/02 01:16 PM

El Boqueron hit it right on the nose. That's where it came from.

As far as the term "football," it is a 15th century term. It refers to basically any game that includes kicking, using one's body, arms, hands, etc., or throwing of a ball, on a field of play which basically is rectangularly. I guess we could say that Atilla the Hun, who love playing a game similar to polo, where they used human heads, taken from their enemy, was an early "footballer," since they often played with clubs, on foot... eek

In the US, we've basically taken the word football and applied it to American football, and accepted the term soccer for what most people in the world refer to as football.

Kick it, punch it, throw it, make it into an odd shape, do anything you want with it, just don't use a head for a ball... it's okay with me... laugh It's still football.

Wolf (Who's seen pictures of early American football footballs. They were nearly round, but modified to make it possible to hang onto them when somebody hit you while you were running with it. It got pointier, so it could be passed better, and actually kicked more accurately. smile )

Re: World Cup! - 06/19/02 12:56 AM

The Koreans are a damn fine team, and their fans are like nothing I've ever seen before! Watch out, Spain! The Koreans are a physically superior side, and they play for the 90th minute, when the other side is dragging and they're still charging, backed by their incredible fans. That'll be an awesome match. 0130 saturday, I'll be up and watching!

Re: World Cup! - 06/19/02 08:48 AM

The Koreans are fine fans until you sit next to a street full of them and watch as they cheer red cards, injuries, and nasty tactics. They have a lot to learn as far as football etiquette is concerned.
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: World Cup! - 06/20/02 07:42 AM

They sound like Sevilla fans then, nevado! wink

Come on, ladies and gentlemen!! I've not been around for a while, but had to get involved in this thread! eek

We gave you football.... now sit back and watch as we show the rest of the world tomorrow how it's done..... The Argentinian squad frown will be watching from Buenas Aires, tears dripping into their humble pie... shame!!

Don't forget,see the 2002 World Cup winners (us v Spain in final, I'm very much afraid) at 08.30 Spanish time tomorrow, in action giving Brazil a lesson in how to play the beautiful game!! laugh

COME ON ING ER LUND....!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Re: World Cup! - 06/20/02 02:53 PM

I see that the Italian futbol team that Ahn of Korea played for, has cut ties with him. They don't want him coming back. They say they considered it before he beat them with his goal, but now it's in the best interests of their nation. It's just plain nationalism at play. Ahn beat them so they don't want him playing in Italy... it's that simple. I guess it's a message to "any players" from around the world, that beating the Italians in futbol means you can't play there anymore. rolleyes

Talk about a bunch of weasels. They'd even try to influence future matches. I hope the Italians never win another game, and players from other nations boycott the Italian leagues. Let them play for pasta dinners amongst themselves. Talk about poor sportsmanship, sheesh! It's amazing how political the World Cup really is. I hope the Italians get a steady dose of Korean officials during the next World Cup. That should really make their pasta boil over... laugh

Wolf
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 05:40 AM

HEY GAUCHO!!.... YES; YOU IN ARGENTINA!! ..... Er, pass the humble pie, will you...... frown frown frown

WAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Boo hoo!!...Sniff, come on USA!.... ¡hala españa!.... frown

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 06:31 AM

Oh boy, what a miserable start to the day. England out, after going 1-0 up. Hands up though, we were beaten by a better team. I think Owen's goal was the one and only strike on goal we had in the whole game. So much for the weak Brasilian defence! I don't see how they can be beaten now, they're just the best team in it, simple as that.

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 07:40 AM

I'm sorry for UK... but think that losing against Brazil is not a shame. It is a great team.

I'm now watching US-Germany smile

Fernando
Posted by: Puna

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 09:44 AM

Germany beat the US 1-0 frown Now we can all yell for Spain without qualms - Viva Espana!!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 10:47 AM

The US played great, but the goals didn't come. Man, some were sure close. And that ball off the defender's arm by the post was as closs to a goal as they come. We were the better team for much of the game. Watch out world in 2006!!! Hats off to the US Team!!!

Now let's cheer for Spain to take out S Korea and Germany!!!!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 12:31 PM

The US have impressed everyone, I thought they deserved at least to get to the Golden Goal against Germany. I wish England had shown that degree of passion and commitment against Brasil this morning...waaahhh! frown

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 12:49 PM

It was a happy disappointment seeing USA lose to Germany this morning. That is to say, I was happy to see the USA make such impressive effort, gain so much respect & surprise, and to do so well. It was a disappointment to see them lose.

I "watched" via the Yahoo Official World Cup site through the "Matchcast", giving text play-by-play since I was at work and the darn game wasn't broadcast on regular radio.

And as puna said, "Now we can all yell for Spain without qualms - Viva Espana!!!!" So let's all cheer for Spain! That is, of course, unless "your" nation's (whomever) team is still alive in these final rounds.

And when is the Spain Game broadcast in Spain? And when in the USA? I thought I saw it was being shown at about 1:30 a.m. East Coast USA time, no?

Have a GREAT weekend, everyone! Let's hope we can spend it in the afterglow of another SPAIN WIN!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 01:30 PM

Was anyone listening to Marca radio about an hour or two ago? My husband was interviewed on live radio. Just curious. It happened so fast we couldn't let anyone know so they could listen. smile

Looks like we're going to try the last attempt to get some tickets for today's match, call the federación and try and pull some strings. If we have to watch it in the pueblo, I'm afraid I'll take out some of the Koreans and they'll throw me in jail. It's really a question of national security that I go to the match!!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 02:41 PM

MM: The Spain match will be at 2:30 AM ET tonight. My alarm is already set for 2:20.

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 03:20 PM

Don't despair that match could have easily gone to either side, and there was a particular penalty not called. Of course, this happened in the Mexico-EEUU match also, it's common as fútbol refereeing is hard - you can't see everything.

Tomorrow, 8.30... rush hour will start late je je.

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 03:48 PM

The U.S. really kicked ass. I'm sorry we didn't win, but everyone is saying how great we played, which is the minimum I wanted (winning the cup being the most ;-) . I'm so happy it wasn't a 4-0 blowout or anything like that. Even the Marca said that the U.S. left the field with "heads held very high." Cool. A little respect is nice.

Nevado, who's your husband? It must be great to be in Korea right now with the cup. Be thankful you're not in Japan. 1) They lost and 2) The Japanese refuse to broadcast any games from Korea, so if you're in Japan you have no idea how half the tournament is going.

-Russ

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 09:48 PM

Thanks for the Eastern USA start time, caminante! I've decided to go to bed NOW (at nearly 10pm Eastern USA time) and wake up at 2:20am too! Can't wait!!! GO SPAIN!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 10:30 PM

LostInMadrid, you know, I was wondering what Japan was doing about that. Can you imagine, they just won't quit, will they. At least Korea made it this far, more than Japan. They will just have to settle because Spain is going to put an end to the nonsense this afternoon.
Yes, I'm very thankful Spain ws chosen for Korea. We most likely wouldn't have gotten the chance to see any matches if they had been in Japan.

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 10:34 PM

WOW! Just finished watching the spanish-language replay of USA-Germany from this morning. What a shame, USA played so well. Can't say they we're the better team, though, Germany did what it had to to win (Oliver Khan has to be the best keeper in the world!). What was really gratifying was the obvious respect shown between the teams afterwards. Two elite sides congratulating each other after a well-played match. Even though the stakes and emotions were high, there was no chippy cheap-shots or animosity during the match. Hats-off to Germany for a deserved win!

Can't wait for '06 cup in Germany. Landon Donovan will be 24 and a vet of the Bundesliga (he's under contract to Bayer Leverkusen, on loan to San Jose of MLS). Demarcus Beasley (who shoulda played today- his speed may have made the difference) is only 20 as well. things are looking good for USA soccer (oops- I mean Futbol!).

Now- only 4 hours to go- Viva Espana!! Time to show those newcomers form Korea what real Copa Mundial Futbol is all about!!

GO SPAIN!!!!! laugh

Re: World Cup! - 06/21/02 11:49 PM

Okay, things are getting crazy here and I'm afraid to hit the streets with my Spanish flag and shirt. The tele has started their coverage and Korea is getting pumped up! Less than three hours to go! I'm sure the soju is pouring freely!

Kurt, I'll be there for '06, can't believe we have to wait so long!
Posted by: Bocata King

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 02:14 AM

BUENA SUERTE ESPAÑA!!!!!!

VAMOS A GANAR!!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 04:45 AM

que nervios!

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 05:14 AM

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP

FIFA needs to hire referees who are impartial, Spain should have won that game. I have never seen such a ridiculous call.

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 05:15 AM

How bad can the refs get? Oh well. Sorry Spain!

-Russ

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 05:17 AM

Rob with fire arms!!!!!!!!!

SPAIN 2 Korea 0

Two goals stolen and a referee that would better be in third division regional than in a World Cup!

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 05:22 AM

Watching that game, I couldn't help but be reminded of the Seoul '92 olympics boxing. Roy Jones, Jr. beat some Korean bloody but lost on a decision which was clearly fixed. That Ref and that linesman made so many phantom calls against the Spanish, I have to wonder. Add to that the mystery yellow card/expulsion given to Italy in overtime last round and, well, you get the picture.

Nevertheless, somebody please explain to me how Korea was even in that game at halftime. Spain should have been up 3-0 at least. That Spains failure to capitalize on its early domination would come back to burn them was about as suprising as the sun coming up in the east (which, actually, its about to here in Chicago.)

Sigh... see you in '06.

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 05:28 AM

Get the bottles and gasoline... we're heading to the Corean embassy. We'll show them what a football riot is all about laugh

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 05:36 AM

Not much more to say, you've said it all! Did you see the Korean portero about two feet of the line on the penalty? Oh, didn't see that, HUH? My husband better lock the doors and tie me down because someone's going down if they keep singing by my doorstep. que putada.

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 05:44 AM

Asterault, I'm heading to the Korean embassy, let's kick 'em out here! Hahahaha! laugh

It is really a great great PUTADA, but it is also true that we should have win even with that robber/referee.

Fernando
Posted by: Shawn

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 06:54 AM

After seeing countless matches I still can´t understand the consistently poor officiating. The World Cup is the most important sporting event in the world, yet the quality of the officials is remarkably inept. How can this be? The number of phantom calls agaigst Spain today was incredible. I can only credit to one of two reasons : the official suffer from severe vision problems, or just plain incompetence. Spain out played Korea and should have won 3-0. In the USA-Germany game, where was the referee when the german defender´s hand prevented an American goal?

I know it´s easy to complain about the officials after a bitter defeat, but something has to be done by FIFA to prevent future disgraces.

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 07:05 AM

It's called POLITICA!

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 09:01 AM

It's pretty amusing how a few days ago when Italy was screaming bloody murder about a conspiracy everyone was blowing them off as fanatics. The only thing on television now is the mistakes the ref made during the game and questions about FIFA. (Well, that and the multitude of bombs going off around Spain in the past day.)

How much does it cost to bribe a ref? A line judge? I mean it can't be much if they're from some small country...

-R
Posted by: notyor

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 11:23 AM

Today's match was a disgrace and has tainted the World Cup.

South Korea getting so far should be cause for celebration for all those who like to support the underdog but they have been catapulted to the semi's by virtue of bad refereeing, FIFA politics and even, possibly, downright CORRUPTION.
With England going out yesterday, Spain were now "my team". I was so looking forward to Spain v Brazil. You could have beaten them (like we should have yesterday) and finally fulfilled your potential. confused
THEN THIS FARCE!
If it's any comsolation, at least you went out due to circumstances beyond your control whereas England were just crap. You did your best and for that you can be proud of your team.
THE WORLD KNOWS WHO WON. wink

As for USA, unlucky to you too yesterday. You played the Hun off the park.

For the first time in my life, I will be shouting for Germany in their semi final.
Germany versus Cheating/Corruption/Politics.

For any South Koreans reading this. This is not a slight on your team/country. You're as deprived by this as anyone else. Why don't you offer to replay the match?
Posted by: Castiza

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 12:28 PM

Yes, the referees jumped into the stadium with their tags on, at least they should have removed them before the game started rolleyes
Incredible: 2 goals called off but absolutely legal, 2 offsides with a clear chance of scoring that weren't really offsides. Spain was superior by far.
I just can say: Go Germany! Go Brazil!
Posted by: miche_dup1

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 02:18 PM

Absolutely NO WAY!!! how can one continue to enjoy the World Cup now, for me it's all over and it should have been all over for the Koreans within the 90min. with an undisputed win for Spain. What a fix! and Spain proved it was a fix by scoring so many unfairly disallowed goals.
Oh, and I hate Golden goal, it's so unfair! Joer, que p....! mad Nevado please kick some butts!

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 03:09 PM

Well, after sleeping until noon today, I watched the afternoon replay of the game. Something smells about the whole thing. Spain's first goal was disallowed due to a push or a shirt grab during a free kick into the box. Oh, really? that sort of thing happens on EVERY set piece, yet curiouslly the only whitstle sounded after Spain had the ball in the net. The disallowed goal in overtime for an endline violation was pure horses**t. There were at least a half-dozen BS offsides called. I thought the benefit of the doubt on offsides went to the offensive player. Not today, I guess. Just about every call or non-call near the Korean goal went to the Koreans. During the PK's, the Korean keeper jumped a foot off the line to make that stop. The linesmen was about six feet away, yet kept his flag down. Shocking that he "didn't see it."

I'm no futbol fanatic. I take a casual interest in MLS. I like the Spanish team, but I'll sleep fine tonight despite their loss. But their was something just not right about this game. And when you add what happened to the Italians, well...

James Bond said that if something happens once, its chance, twice is coincidence, but three times is enemy action. Lets see what transpires in the Germany game.

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 07:31 PM

It's 1.30 and I got back home. Everyone here is INCENSED. What's up with dancing around during a penalty shot? And excuse me, the WHOLE ****ING BALL needs to go out before it's OUT, and you don't call it 10 seconds LATER!!! And learn what offside IS PLEASE.

AUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHH!! Infuriating!! And not just Spain -- Italy too!! As far as I am concerned the tournament is invalidated, and now I have to route for Germany. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 08:43 PM

I got up at 2:20am to watch it was after only having 2.5 hours of sleep I wasn't in any condition to watch the game and missed most of it while dozing on the couch. Ugh! What a shame.

Re: World Cup! - 06/22/02 08:59 PM

UHHH, I'm still mad. These people just don't get it. You'll be sure I'm putting Germany's flag out for the next match. Tuesday has been declared a national holiday here symbolizing corruption. The level of nationalism is precisely what they needed to move forward with their plans to make Korea the hub of Asia. They have proven themselves on a global level, well above Italy, Spain, etc. What a load. Well, I'm outta here in 6 days.
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: World Cup! - 06/23/02 12:50 AM

MM, I'm in the same boat as you are...I set my alarm for 3:00, I figured it wouldn't hurt to miss the first 1/2 hour of the game...but proceeded to doze in & out the rest of the time & not remember if I saw it right or not that Spain lost!! UGGHHH!!!!

I can't believe now we have to root for Germany!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/23/02 01:00 AM

Does it make anybody feel better that on Friday the President of Korea's brother was arrested on state corruption charges, which may well bring down the government there?

I didn't think so. rolleyes

Re: World Cup! - 06/23/02 01:58 AM

mad DAMN THOSE RED DEVILS! mad It would be nice if it had been 11-on-11 for the entire match. I had no idea that FIFA allows "home cookin'" by there árbitros. Funny that "arbitrary" and "árbitro" have the same root. I never fully understood the correlation until last night.

I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. to watch the entire painful experience. eek What the hell was that stupid Egyptian ref doing patting cheeks with coaches during the match? I wish he'd been assigned the USA-GER match...Hugh "Captain Yellow Card" Dallas was a first-class SOB! Maybe the US would've been able to disallow the German goal on account of a shirt-tug or inadvertent Melvin/wedgie maneuver...

S.Korea: Know that you were outplayed, outclassed, outhustled, and outtalented by a far superior team. In the end, it was the decisions of three men who never played in the game that handed you your golden opportunity. mad Go Germany!!!

Spain: Be proud...and for Mr. Defense: Puyol: YOU DA MAN! He was constantly attacked and on one-on-one confrontations never lost once until the second OT, and even then the ball was harmlessly crossed out of bounds. Kudos to you Puyol. That was a five-star performance to combat the sub-one-star performance turned in by the "colegiata". mad Screw FIFA and its crooked sham and preferential treatment of the hosts. mad

¡VIVA ESPAÑA!

Re: World Cup! - 06/23/02 03:49 AM

Cali,

Quote:
S.Korea: Know that you were outplayed, outclassed, outhustled, and outtalented by a far superior team. In the end, it was the decisions of three men who never played in the game that handed you your golden opportunity. Go Germany!!!
They won't know and they don't see it. They weren't watching the same match we all were. They were watching their superstar Ahn, who can't keep the ball in play for more than 10 seconds, play his best match. They were watching their portero, who can't keep his feet on the line, block that incredible penalty shot. They are blind to the facts and are unstopable, not even Italy, Portugal or Spain can touch them! What a crock. I'm still mad. mad
Posted by: Chrissiij

Re: World Cup! - 06/23/02 05:06 AM

UP DEUTSCHLAND! Even I disagree with the Korea/Spain game. The ref obviously did not like the Spanish team, as it was CLEAR from the replays at the end, that Spain's two goals were perfectly fine.
Also, during the penalty shootout, where the Korean goalie caught Spain's attempt should have been disallowed. He should have stayed on the goal line, but he was way infront of it - the ref was less than 6ft away and should have seen it - or maybe he just turned a blind eye.

Re: World Cup! - 06/23/02 05:44 AM

Today Sunday F$FA has admitted "major refereeing mistakes" during the mundial. However it denies game fixing. Yeah yeah, thanks a lot.
Posted by: pim

Re: World Cup! - 06/23/02 06:38 AM

MMan and Granadagirl, you can be happy you missed it, I wished I had! I still can't believe that I sat through the whole thing....I don't like 'futbol' at all, and can't remember when I had watched the last one, probably during the 1992 Olympics; and now after seeing this....I can wait at least another decade for the next one!

Poor Joaquín!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 06:10 AM

I don't find it so inbelivable. It's not normal that the referee take off a goal like the first one, but it's normal that the local team makes penalties in these actions avoiding the goals that the referee never sees. About the offsides, unfair but normal also. In all the world cups the local teams and others like Brasil have the referees on their side. I remember in Spain World Cup in 1982, when I was a kid, Spain needed to win Honduras to go to the next round, a Spanish player fall out of the area and the referee decided it was penalty and after failing the penalty he order to repeat it.
I was more surprised about the match against Italy, as they usually have the referees more on their side, and they're a strong team than it's supoused to go far.
They should think about it, because the World cup loose value.

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 07:26 AM

Monday A.M., 48 hours since the worst stitch-up I ever saw in an international game, worse even than S. Corea vs. Italy, just a few days earlier! We were so irate after the game my wife and I couldn't settle down. In the end we just packed up the car and headed for the hills (just got back). I didn't want to see any more, and no more incredibly biased reporting on the BBC - guess who they had in the studio to comment on Spain vs. Corea, Mick McCarthy, the manager of Ireland who Spain had just beaten! Now there's even handed for ya! The poor sap couldn't control his joy at seeing Spain unfairly "beaten". Pathetic. Se acabó, ha sido un tongo que no vea. mad

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 11:11 AM

F$FA...I love it...good one Asterault.

Here's another oddity: South Korea, who seems to hate the US so much, [do they really?] (as evidenced by a poll stating that the American who was least welcome at the World Cup was Anton Apolo Ohno, the recipient of a cheap shot in speedskating in Salt Lake), is more than willing to accept the referees ruling(s) in their favor at the World Cup.

The Korean president said this weekend "this is the best thing to happen to Korea in 5000 years. What a sad waste of five millenia. And one more irony: If S. Korea "hates" the US so much, why is it that 8 million of them have bought those silly red t-shirts that say "Be the Reds" in ENGLISH on them. Does anyone have their own language anymore? Can't they write that in Korean on a shirt and sell it?

That reminds me of a funny story a friend related to me from Uruguay: He was sitting on a bus and noticed that there was a rather portly woman across from him with a t-shirt on and an English slogan on it. After he remarked to me that in his opinion, Uruguayos would wear anything with English on it, regardless of whether or not they understood it, he told me what the shirt said: "I'm sick, horny and perverted, and I want you". laugh Be the Reds, everyone, Be the Reds.
Posted by: laduque

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 12:22 PM

We packed about 200 Spaniards and supporters in our restaurant to watch the game, even Univision local news was there! I had to work the crowd (waitress) most of the game so I was unable to see the tele. But let me tell you, it was not hard to figure out what was going on! I knew we had lost by the somber retreat, but what a respectful and well-behaved group of "non-winners" we are! Very classy!
I have never watched so many soccer games in my life than I have these last 3 weeks, I've learned a lot and have a new appreciation for the sport, but the downright corruption and unfair playing field was so blatant to me (the novice eye), I can not believe any Korean afficionado (pseudo-expert) would even believe for a minute that they won fair and square!
I'm outraged, but this will not keep me from enjoying the sport.

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 06:29 PM

Cali,
This has nothing to do with world cup but about the shirts you commented on...the other day I saw an older Korean man wearing a shirt with the symbol of the American Hearth Association that read "Thank you for pot smoking"! It just cracked me up, can you imagine! :p

About 6 months ago the Korean Herald published the results of a poll that claimed that 75% of Koreans wanted to live outside of their own country. Hmmm...
Posted by: ram

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 07:03 PM

really i think this time cup will go TURKEY. final germany-turkey. why not?

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 07:29 PM

You need to talk to the FIFA referee commitee about that. I'm sure they can arrange something for you for the right price.

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 08:49 PM

I believe I indicated in a post that politics plays a part in the World Cup, but it was pooh poohed. Any further comments?

Just wondering. Also wondering why everyone "accepts" the hand ball during the US game which would have tied it, but rails on the transgressions during Spain's game. If the US would have tied Germany, who knows what would have happened with penalty kicks, or overtime.

After watching the hand ball several times, I can't believe it wasn't intentional, since the defender had his arms spread down by his side, palms facing the offensive player. It essentially was a blocking position, and if the position of his body/arms was intentional then so was the hand ball. But... of course... no politics in this thing is there? wink

Wolf (Who isn't going to specifically say, "I told you so!," even though I did. rolleyes )
Posted by: toddy

Re: World Cup! - 06/24/02 09:15 PM

Sorry, but Spain played TERRIBLE. They did not deserve to win. As a top ten world ranked team, Spain should have had 10 goals! Even if Korea got one bad out of bounds call,the other offsides WERE offsides. Like 98, Spain seemed to get nervous and lower their level of soccer. Senor sweaty Camacho is the real man to blame. His coaching of Spain is pathetic. Senor Camacho changes players all of a sudden because Spain doesn't "need" to win against S. Africa.But Spain DOES need to keep a cohesive winning stride the rest of the way. Hello? So here comes a game against a Korean team/nation. The only real strong player on the field with Korea was Juaguin. Where was Luis Enrique? Morientes? You can ALWAYS blame the refs, but the fact remains; Spain crumbled and would do far better in the future by looking in the mirror and start by changing their coach!

GO KOREA!!!!!!!!!

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 05:44 AM

Sorry, that 1 goal disallowed incorrectly means the match would have been 1-0. Also, you are mistaken, the other offside call was incorrect, and the Korean goalie moved forward off the line during one of the penalty shots.

What's done is done, but "played terrible" is not an accurate description, considering how these are the best 32 teams of some 200 and the opposing team was in their home field - football on this level does not "deserve" to be won, it's a struggle enough without poor referees.

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 09:05 AM

If a person takes the time to check the records of past World Cup play, they'll find there's a "home field advantage" to almost all of them. For the most part, the only cups won by European teams have been won when the tournament is held in Europe. South American teams hold the same advantage. Why would anyone think that it wouldn't apply in Asia? Does anyone remember the Seoul Olympics, and how American & European athletes were constantly being "mis-judged?"

The Koreans "least favorite American" is Ohno, because a judge disqualified a Korean in speed skating during the past Olympics. What frosts me most is the fact that a Korean won a Gold Medal in a similar manner, due to a disqualification, but that didn't seem to matter. Hell! World wide sporting events (except track and field sometimes) are a version of "civilized warfare," no matter what anyone thinks. I'm waiting for some nation to change the rules for cross-country skiing and shooting to a "paint ball" shoot out on skis... eek

Then the Palestinians would add their own sport. It's called "The Mall blast." The suicide bombers would get 3 points for each "kill," and 1 point for each wounding. The winners would receive their medals "posthumously," and the flags would only be raised to half staff in honor of the bomber, not the people who were killed and maimed.

Like Nevado said, when you're close to the scene, and can see the true reaction of the Korean people, when someone gets injured, etc... it tells another story. World wide sports are political, not sportsmanship. It appears that died somewhere along the line. A pity. frown

Wolf (Who's attended two Olympics, and found both to be totally irreverant to what they stood for, just like the World Cup. I'll never waste my time attending them again.)

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 09:46 AM

Sorry Wolf but I don't agree. Doesn't matter the tendencies on referees, you can see them in every competition, there's always mistakes and favors.
If you love football you have to follow the World Cup, although the referee's favors are bigger, the kind of play is the best.
I love the World Cup, only each four years one month of the best football.
Now, go for the Eurocup '04 in Portugal. It'll be almost like playing in home.

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 09:58 AM

Well, South Corea are out now anyhow, another 1-0 to a rather tediously effective German side (all European referees after the Spain scandal).

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 10:08 AM

Miguelito,

Enjoy it? Yes. I do. But I'll stick to watching on TV. It's a better seat anyway. I've just resigned myself to the fact that sports = civilized warfare and home court advantage always comes into play. If going to an event where you're confident your team will get a "home field advantage" is cool with you, so be it. It just don't get me that excited.

I keep thinking about the big scandal with the pairs ice skating in the Salt Lake City Olympics. The guy from the Ukraine, who was "fixing the rankings" had been caught doing it before, and had received a one or two year suspension for what he did. It tells me that even organized groups like the Olympics can't control the political garbage that goes on behind the scenes. Letting him back in was like telling the whole sports world it was fine to cheat. It might interest you to know, that as of now, the Ukraine official is only on "temporary suspension," despite the fact he was the organizer rigging the outcome of the event. What's the odds he'll be back, at least in the background, during the next winter Olympics? Pretty solid I'd guess, or he'd bring down dozens of others who have been involved in similar situations.

I attended two world championship heavyweight boxing matches in my life, and in both cases, the loser was knocked out by "phantom punches." For that, I paid good money? Sheesh! Why would I bother to attend any sporting event where the results are pre-ordained when I can watch the fiasco on TV?

Wolf (Who laughed when he heard the outcry about Formula 1 drivers blocking, and letting their teammates pass to gain points for the team, and add towards world championship points. It ain't new. I knew about it years ago, when it was alleged Ronnie Peterson, who was Mario Andretti's teammate in the John Player cars, did exactly that. Peterson ended up second in the world despite getting killed. But before he died, he helped Andretti win the championship, by allowing him passes, and blocking to insure it. Of course it was never proven. Peterson was probably the better driver, but ... so it goes. They still call it sport.) rolleyes

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 10:38 AM

Wow, it's amazing how quiet the streets are tonight! Maybe now I can get some packing done in peace. Oh, better not forget to grab my German flag off the balcony, wouldn't want to forget that. Four more days...four more days!

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 12:22 PM

Wolf, maybe I didn't explain correctly.
I agree with you, I watch matches on TV (except for the Atletico de Madrid, where I have a card).
It's a petty this mafia on FIFA and Olympic Comite, although it's a show that still worths, for the show itself, not as a clean competition, what has never been, that's why I wasn't surprised at all, more even when I'm an Atletico supporter...

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 12:48 PM

Of course there is a homefield advantage, and one expects certain things to go in favor of the home team. Watching Korea/Portugal and Korea/Italiy, I was still thinking that there was nothing worse going on, although Italy made me very suspicious. HOWEVER, the Korea/Spain game was a true disgrace. Yes, Spain should have put them away early, but this is the World cup, and all it takes is one goal to win. The first goal annulment could be charitably described as incompetent officiating, as there was just the normal, standard, bipartisan shoving going on. Spain was acting no worse than Korea, nor did it give them an advantage; thus, there should have been no call.

The phantom out of bounds was beyond the pale, however. If you can find a replay that has the linesman in it, take a close look at him. While he is close by, he waits until the ball is heading toward the center and Morientes is in the air to call the out of bounds. Plus, of course, the ball was nowhere near over the line. To me, this is either the most incompetent call in all of soccer history, or, more likely, evidence of bribery and favoritism. As far as I am concerned, all the referees from this game need to be banned from ever officiating again, and very, very thoroughly investigated. Sadly, given the current state of FIFA, this will not happen. Now that it is too late for Spain and Italy, of course, FIFA brings in the world's top refs, as if the world cup didn't deserve good refereeing until the semifinals.

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 01:27 PM

Migueltio,

I was in agreement with you, just taking it one step further where I don't want to attend games at all, because I'm beginning to think the only way we can get sports to be run cleanly is if we boycott them.

It's just like baseball. On August 11th or 12th, the players will be going on strike. I quit going to games in 1994 when they went on strike and destroyed the rest of the season. If it happens again this year, I will begin boycotting their sponsors, and even games on TV. I'm getting tired of the games becoming businesses and political venues, instead of contests of skill. For some reason, governing bodies don't recognize the fact that we, the fans, are what drives the market, and makes their games possible. They better learn, or they're in for some real problems in the future.

Wolf

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 02:05 PM

Cooter: If you look at the endline-vantage replay, you see the ball already being centered and then the idiot side judge slide into the picture and raise his flag...as the ball is being headed into the goal...you're right, the fix was on!

And Wolf, maybe MLB will go on strike and we'll be done with America's Most Boring Past-time once and for all! I like how Barry Bonds equated what he does to "the working men and women of America, who are out there driving buses, etc..." Do you know of any school districts that pay $20 million/year to drive kids to school? eek Where do I deliver my application for employment?

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 02:15 PM

Yes, the refereeing in Spain v. Korea bordered on scandalous, but I have to agree with Toddy that Spain played poorly. Sure, they dominated proceedings in the 1st half, but one doesn't get points for mere possesion, you gotta 'put it in the old onion bag' (as Tommy Smythe likes to say). Spain lacked finish, a killer instinct to put Korea away when the opportunities presented themselves. The Spanish side played like, dare I say it, Spanish: laid back, no real sense of urgency. I again agree with Toddy that the place to start in improving the national team is at coach. How about a non-Spaniard. Mike Ditka would be perfect. Sure, he doesn't know squat about futbol, but he didn't know much about football either. He'd make the Spanish squad into a tough bunch!

Too bad about the Koreans today. Their coach said they would come at Germany like 'Young Dogs'. Hey, coach, they EAT dogs in Korea! Looks like he was right!

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 02:20 PM

Cali,

I agree. I get tired of athletes referring to themselves as "blue collar workers," when they make millions each year for their services, even when they don't deliver, are moody, pout, and can't act like they're members of the human race.

It happens in football (soccer) too. Look at Maradona. Mentioning that jerk in the same breath as Pele is like cussing at Pele. Where Pele was good for the game, Maradona was good for the drug trafficers.

Wolf (Who thinks substance abuse should be an automatic lifetime ban from any given sport, not a slap on the wrist like the NFL and NBA, which requires them to be spanked by a good looking cheerleader the second time around. Hey! I might even like that myself!)

Re: World Cup! - 06/25/02 02:30 PM

I see that the Korean team had a little theme song they blasted to the crowds there.

I have some ideas for their theme song, such as "I get by with a little help from my friends" or "Like a prayer"...

Re: World Cup! - 06/26/02 02:26 AM

Sorry Wolf, but I have to desagree with you now. I'm pro Maradona, I think he has been probably the best futbol player of the history, it was wonderful to see him playing, although it's a petty how he destroyed his life. There have been lots of articles talking about this here in Spain, but when you become a god with a very basic education in a foreign country and with not the convenient people around you ....
Bad examples are good to avoid them.

Re: World Cup! - 06/29/02 01:24 AM

Hey, have all of you stopped caring about the Copa Mundial? The Semis were quite good. Too bad about the Turks, what a hard-nosed bunch. Probably the second best side in the tournament.

Gotta say UBER DEUTSCHLAND!, since I'm part German myself, and I like to root for the underdog. The Brasilians are so good. They're so fast, its like they have 22 players. Despite the bitter finish for Spain mad , its been a highly entertaining show. And I have enjoyed the international perspective from this boards members.

Re: World Cup! - 06/29/02 09:15 AM

Kurt, actually I have. I'll watch the final game tomorrow for sure, but I wasn't even thinking about today's game until I ran across the live scoreboard on ElMundo.es.

Last Friday was sad, the U.S. was soooooo close. And then Saturday morning we woke up to Spain getting robbed. After that I haven't been interested. Call me a sore loser. ;-)

Did anyone else read that article about how the Germans wonder why everyone hates them? (They think it's because they're rich and have good taste). Very amusing. Go Brazil!

-Russ
Posted by: Castiza

Re: World Cup! - 06/29/02 01:04 PM

Well, after last Saturday Spain-S.Corea joke (to Corean because it wasn't funny at all for us), the World Cup has lost some of the initial interest in Spain.
However, it seem S.Corea hasn't been so lucky with the following referees. Today it's been defeated by Turkey (who didn't received any help in all tournament and still has reached the 3rd position, good for them!).
Brazil and Germany in the final, as it was expected. I'm pro-Brazil, Brazilian soccer players are artist, creative and good technique over defensive Germany.

Re: World Cup! - 06/30/02 01:51 PM

To wrap this topic up, nice job today Brazil! It was a good game, though sort of boring when you don't really care either way. I'm more happy that Germany lost and that Roberto Carlos' team (my favorite Real Madrid player) won.

2006 seems like such a long way away. But then again, so did 2002... ;-)

-Russ

Re: World Cup! - 07/01/02 12:10 PM

LiM - not to worry, the European Champeonship is held in 2004 in Portugal. To most Europeans this is like the World Cup but without the hassle of having to face Brasil or Argentina (or Ugandan referees)! The qualifying rounds start this autumn ...
Posted by: Pepe

Re: World Cup! - 07/13/02 05:06 PM

Sorry! but Korea won over Portugal, Italy and Spain. Only losers complain and never admit thier defeats. TODDY,WOLF AND MIGUELITO said about everything that i wanted to say.

Does anyone still believe that Spain, Italy or Portugal football teams have to win always because they used to be stonger than a Koean football team? that's crap.

KOREA WON1!!!

Re: World Cup! - 07/13/02 05:58 PM

Pepe, I know. I am partial to the Spanish team and there were some questionable calls in the game, but as I read somewhere shortly after the World Cup - "South Korea kept Spain from the semifinals for the first time since . . . oh wait, they've never made the semifinals"
Posted by: Pepe

Re: World Cup! - 07/15/02 03:07 PM

Caminate.
Yes, you are right. Korea had never reached to Semifinal before 2002 World cup.
But, Don't you remember 1998 U.S.A World cup? Korea played aginst Spain. The result? A Spain team wasn't quite suprior to a Korea team.

Once, N.Korea beat Iatay as well in 195??
All sports are unpredictable. Spain may have to think about thier skills rather than only complaining about home-advatage stuffs.
Posted by: Zzeus11

Re: World Cup! - 11/22/03 11:12 AM

Moving on to Rugby World Cup, Aussie-England.

Cheers to all english friends on this board, Go Jonny Go !!

Not very spanish topic but so many good brits, scotts, and welsh fans are board members, so well done!!
Posted by: zorro37

Re: World Cup! - 11/22/03 01:42 PM

Hope you watched it, Zeuss, Johnny DID go. Great game, the best team deservedly won. England scored a try too. It's been a education reading the Aussie newspapers on the net. So unbiased and fair minded - NOT!!!!!!
Posted by: mariacristi

Re: World Cup! - 11/22/03 06:16 PM

FAIR DINKUMM !!!!

WHAT IS IT ABOUT MEN WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL??!!

SEEMS LIKE EVERY BLOKE ON THIS BB HAS GONE CRAZY eek

Zorro, which paper did you read?
Posted by: chez123

Re: World Cup! - 11/24/03 11:24 AM

zorro i agree the best team did win.Slighty dodgy ref i thought.