One Year and Counting!

Posted by: Chica

One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 03:33 PM

Today marks my first year anniversary since arriving in Spain as a newlywed! smile

One of my students today asked me, so, how has the past year been for you? On reflection, I think I have come a long way...

Granted, I spoke Spanish fluently before arriving, it has been the whole culture acclimation that has really gotten me...understanding the politics, understanding the healthcare system, the local culture, the Spanish "personality", etc. A lot of what LiM posted a few months back.

On the "technical" side, I have learned to drive stick shift and manage the Spanish highways without fear (I hate being lost when I am in a hurry!! other than that, I welcome the opportunity to explore). I have learned how to present/defend myself (damn well I might add) in job interviews...they are totally different than interviews in the states.

How personal do I want to get in this post? Hmmm...well I miss my family but we are in touch frequently. I have not been homesick at all. However, there have been moments when I have been really really sad about missing my friends in the states. There is something to be said for that best girlfriend who is just a "cup of coffee away". Slowly but surely am making friends, which is of course a welcome relief!

For those planning on making the leap to move here and live here (not just tourism or study for 10 months and then back home)...it´s a whole different ball game. It is truly a wonderful and eye opening experience.

To celebrate the anniversary, I think we will have a tortilla de patata!! laugh
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 03:45 PM

Many congratulations Chica!

You deserve all the happiness you have.

I'll raise my glass to you this evening.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Jo
Posted by: pim

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 04:18 PM

Becks,

ˇFelicidades! Happy "Spainniversary"!!!
I'm really glad your first year has been a happy one.

I hope to be counted amongst your group of new friends laugh !

ˇHasta pronto "Chiquilla"!

Pim.

P.S.: Hey! check your hotmail. wink
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 04:43 PM

CHICA!!!

this is great news!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
Congratulations and to many, many more wonderful years in our favorite country!!
laugh laugh laugh
besos,
liz
Posted by: LostInMadrid

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 05:02 PM

Chica!

Ummmmm... Congratulations? Just kidding. Felicidades!

;-)

What a coincidence! I had my 2 year anniversary on the 7th, actually (I've been back to the U.S. a total of 14 days since arriving here...) I agree with you, it's more than a different country, it's a different world. Every day it gets weirder, actually...

I wonder what another year will bring?

-Russ

P.S. Mmmm. Tortilla!
Posted by: ChrisS

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 10:39 PM

felicitades,

I could only hope to become a permanent resident de la tierra de sol y sombra(mostly sol)

Bien hecho!!

and to many more years...

Chris
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 10:55 PM

Congratulations, Chica!! Now for your next project to celebrate your anniversary; tell us all, step-by-step, how a citizen of the USA can marry a Spaniard IN Spain. We're ALL dying to know!!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: taravb

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 10:59 PM

Hey, Chica,

Congratulations! I wish you many more years of living just where you want to be. Everyone should be so fortunate!

Tara smile
Posted by: seul6

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/15/02 11:23 PM

Congratulations! From what you have shared with us about you, you certainly deserve to reap the benefits of your hard work. I have enjoyed your insightful, informative and motivating posts. Keep them coming!
Posted by: Castiza

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/16/02 09:17 PM

Hi Chica!
As Pim says, happy Spainniversary (great term)!!!
I hope you enjoy your next years in Spain as much as this first one.
Posted by: Puna

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/17/02 04:32 PM

Chica -
Many congratulations - and may the next year be even better! You deserve all the happiness in the world!
Posted by: wyndyl

Re: One Year and Counting! - 04/17/02 04:40 PM

Ditto on your Spanniversary!

Wyndyl laugh