Thanksgiving (in Madrid)

Posted by: jmp110372

Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 09/25/01 12:43 PM

In my feeble attempt to import as much as my American life as I can in Madrid, I ask the following:

Does anyone know if there are places in Madrid where Americans generally get together for Thanksgiving?

Would anyone like to play AMERICAN FOOTBALL the Sunday after Thanksgiving in Madrid (anywhere in Madrid, I am open). I am going thru withdrawl.

Un Saludo

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: Chicagoan

Re: Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 09/25/01 01:46 PM

Hi! I was there last year over Thanksgiving (well, in Sevilla on Thanksgiving day) and I do remember seeing a couple of signs for Thanksgiving dinners with turkey & mashed potatoes for Americans, believe it or not. I specifically remember the place in Sevilla that did but Madrid....I can't exactly remember - I think they were British pubs, because as you know British pubs are full of Americans. Calle Victoria?

If anyone gets "homesick" in Sevilla, there is a place called "tex mex" just a few blocks form the cathedral that has nachos, chili cheese fries, a pool table and nfl on TV. They had a full turkey dinner too. I am kind of embarrassed to say we did go in there one night to watch the Lions play. I felt like a loser eating American food in Spain but it was fun for one meal.

Good luck! (Thanksgiving is actually my birthday - I wish I could be back in Spain for it!)
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 09/25/01 02:22 PM

I know this isn't helping you at all, but the last Thanksgiving which I spent in Spain we ended up having fondue for dinner in a Spaniard's house!!

Hope you're more successful than we were!! (I'm sure you will be!!) wink

GranadaGirl

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 09/25/01 07:06 PM

Well, I was in Madrid in 1979 as a student and a very big group of us went to Foster's Hollywood where they served a "traditional turkey dinner" which was fine, but what made it really special was that my mom came to visit from NY for a long weekend, so she was the token "mom" of the group! It was a memorable Thanksgiving for sure. So, try Foster's Hollywood! and enjoy celebrating!
Posted by: Gail

Re: Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 10/16/01 05:53 PM

I have found several English-speaking churches on the Internet and my guess is that they are organizing some sort of event which you would be welcome to attend whether you are a member or not. Our Baptist church here in Mexico City does a big deal the Friday before and all are welcome.
Posted by: breibach

Re: Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 10/16/01 06:49 PM

I had a great 4th of july picnic (with two other american families) this summer in La Herradura. BBQ chicken (on the grill) watermelon, chocolate cake and red, white and blue party favors for the kids.
Posted by: pim

Re: Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 11/07/01 08:23 AM

Hi there!, I think anyone interested in enjoying a thanksgiving dinner should go check the store 'Taste of America' on calle Serrano 149. They sell stuffing, cranberry sauce, yams, etc....(I used to work there), and if what you want is to eat out that night, ask them for InMadrid, and The Broadsheet magazines, there'll be a lot of ads about it, I'm sure.
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 11/07/01 01:49 PM

Likewise, if anyone is on the Costa del Sol, a lot of those items can be bought at supermarkets here these days.

Failing that, in Gibraltar eek the big Safeway store has plenty of international foodstuffs and the shops are full already of Christmas goodies.

When you know you shouldn't gloat ..... but you want to gloat .... and, oh blow it, I'll do it anyway!! In the space of one and a half hours on Saturday (Nov 2nd) my wife and I did ALL our Christmas shopping, buying presents for everyone in what has to be record time for both buying all your stuff and being prepared and also buying it so early! The sun's still shining here, it can't be winter approaching, can it? wink
Posted by: LostInMadrid

Re: Thanksgiving (in Madrid) - 11/21/01 02:08 PM

I'm with you. I'm in my second year here and it would be cool to find some place where a bunch of Americans were hanging out eating Turkey and watching American Football.

I've seen signs on the chain restaurants: Friday's, Hard Rock, etc. But I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm looking for. It's too bad all the pubs are Irish...

-Russ