There's fire in them thar hills..... (Mijas)

Posted by: Anchovy Front

There's fire in them thar hills..... (Mijas) - 07/19/01 09:34 AM

Unfortunately, there is a major fire raging in the hills around Mijas on the Costa del Sol at the moment. It began last night and with strong winds blowing they still have not been able to bring it under control. (It's now 3pm).

Many people have been evacuated and even on the coast in Fuengirola, the sun has been dulled by the smoke and a layer of black ash is settling on the streets. Let's hope that it has not caused too much major damage to the environment and more importantly, that no harm befalls anyone.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: Pookita

Re: There's fire in them thar hills..... (Mijas) - 07/19/01 01:03 PM

Ouch! I know what it's like, since I live very close to the Florida Everglades which have been plagued by fires during the recent dry spell. From my job (we're on the 28th floor, several miles from the edge of the Glades) we could look out west and actually see flames!!!! eek And the ash does go EVERYWHERE. Each morning the cars are coated, and the heavy smell of the fire is in the air. Hopefully you will be as lucky as we were with no fatalities or serious injuries. Our prayers will be with everyone there!

Pookita