Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info?

Posted by: pim_on_tour

Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/23/07 05:13 AM

Please, please, please, frown can anyone post a reliable link to this year's events (main concerts, verbenas, etc...)?
I keep looking but can't find anything....just a tedious 'barrio by barrio' account in the ayuntamiento's site....and I don't want to have to wait for the 'Guia del Ocio' of that week to come out

Many thanks!!! laugh

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/24/07 04:45 AM

Noone? confused
Posted by: Torrales

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/24/07 06:13 AM

As far as I know, the San Isidro program for this year has not been released yet. Only the bull fair has been announced. The verbena will be held, as usual, in the Pradera de San Isidro, at the West bank of Manzanares river (some would say creek), more or less in front of Vicente Calderon stadium.

Rather than directly the Ayuntamiento Website, I would track the esMadrid! Website. Excerpted from their "About...":
Quote:
Esmadrid.com is the portal of the city of Madrid. Its aims are to improve links between citizens and their Council and to make visitors, companies and inhabitants aware of what the city has to offer. The Esmadrid.com portal is the property of Empresa Municipal Promoción de Madrid, a public company owned by Madrid City Council.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/24/07 06:48 AM

Torrales, glad to know that the program simply hasn't been published YET. I say that because I did a pretty in-depth search on the web, and even on esMadrid! , but didn't find anything apart from the Fería de San Isidro de Las Ventas - Plaza de Toros.

I plan to go again to the Pradera de San Isidro for one afternoon at least. Last year is was SO DARN HOT.

General information and photos about the San Isidro holiday can be found @ http://www.congregacionsanisidro.org/fiesta.htm (mostly in Spanish but some English too).

(MadridMan lives pretty close to the Pradera!)

Saludos, MadridMan laugh

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/25/07 04:19 AM

Thank you both for your answers.

Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit odd that the information is not out yet?, I mean, it is April 25th!
(Both my hubby and I will be spending that whole week in Madrid and it'd be nice to know what concerts, etc...will be worth attending....)

Mmmm....or could it be that I'm becoming a bit Swiss!!! eek

Madre mia!!! wink

wave
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/25/07 04:41 AM

Hey pim! How are you?

I guess you are planning on celebrating your 1st anniversary in Madrid during the festivities cool I can't believe it's a whole year ago.

I remember trying to find out the itinerary last year. I never managed to get it on line from esmadrid, but as soon as we arrived in Madrid, I picked one up in the airport.

We had a great time at the verbena thingy - dancing (embarrasingly - sorry miguelito!), eating calamares and drinking nice things, whilst listening to and watching all the festivities. Great memories.

I remember going to the Retiro to watch an amazing firework display after an orchestral concert too - I think this was like the finale to the celbrations?

I'm sure whatever you find to do, it will be a very happy celebration of your first year together.

(You didn't fancy Yorkshire for your first anniversary then? wink )

Jo

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/25/07 05:26 AM

Hi Jo, sweets!,

You got that right! laugh

I'm spending the whooole month of may in Madrid!, and hubby will be visiting for that week. hearts

I'd really be looking forward to the verbenas at Las Vistillas and the concerts on Plaza Mayor and such....

(My favourite fiesta is not San Isidro, though, not even La Paloma, but the much more humble San Cayetano and San Lorenzo, in August; and I'll forever be grateful to fellow MMers Barry and Pablo for introducing me to them) thumbsup

We haven't got around to go to Yorkshire, yet!, but during X-mas break; besides spending time in Madrid and Zaragoza we managed to "tour": Horsham, Chichester, Dorchester, Weston-Super-Mare, Cerne Abbas wink , Birmingham, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Henley, Reading, Windsor, Ascot...etc. (and were a bit dissapointed we never made it to Stonehenge! :p )

Besos, wave

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/25/07 08:07 AM

Pim, we went to a Berbena downtown, near the Iglesia de San Francisco el Grande because I'd wanted to see how it was. My significant other was more shocked than me as it appeared to be nothing more than a full-blown Botellón. They had the stage and some dancers but 95% of the people there (mostly under 25 years old) weren't paying attention as they were too involved with their homemade cocktails. rolleyes :yuck:

MAYBE I'll get to see you, pim_on_tour, this May! I'd like that.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/26/07 09:59 AM

Hey!, we're open to the idea of a MMan-San Isidro get together, if anyone is interested.

cool

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/26/07 07:02 PM

pim_on_tour, I was looking over someone's shoulder today on the metro. They were reading the free "Metro" newspaper and there was a near-full-page program of the San Isidro festivities so it must be published elsewhere too.

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 04/30/07 03:49 PM

Anyone have that schedule yet?
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 05/04/07 08:29 AM

San Isidro 2007
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 05/04/07 09:25 AM

I was reading about this San Isidro because I do not read Spanish from this San Isidro Info because they have it in English.

On the bottom they have something in English which I found amazing
Quote:
Madrid's Saint Isidore is not to be confused with Saint Isidore of Seville, new patron saint of the Internet
A new patron saint for the Internet? I love Spain but a saint for the internet? This has to be a joke.

Because I cannot see I group of men carrying a statue through the streets of Sevilla, the statue is wearing an Ipod, tee shirt, kaki pants, sneakers and has its own MySpace web page.

Bill
Posted by: laduque

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 05/04/07 06:20 PM

Bill from NYC, there actually is a patron saint of the Internet...I went to the Catholic forum link and it lists all saints and their patronage...Yes indeed, Saint Isadore of Seville is the Patron Saint of the internet and of students as well........

I hope all in Madrid have a very fun time during las fiestas, I was there once in May for the festivities (before I was a teacher with vacation times built in), now I am "forced" to visit Madrid in July when it is soooooo hot!!!!! rolleyes
Posted by: Murdy

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 05/05/07 04:21 AM

Quote:
I hope all in Madrid have a very fun time during las fiestas, I was there once in May for the festivities (before I was a teacher with vacation times built in), now I am "forced" to visit Madrid in July when it is soooooo hot!!!!!
Why don't you try coming around the 15th of August, when it tends to be just a little less scorching and you can enjoy the Fiestas de la Paloma, which I always felt were the best in Madrid.
Posted by: madridmadridmadrid

Re: Madrid: San Isidro 2007 info? - 05/05/07 08:56 AM

San Isidoro de Sevilla is also the patron saint of philogy (the love of knowledge--the academic discipline that encompasses literature, linguistics, language, etc.). He wrote a huge encyclopedic series of volumes that attempted to document and interconnect all of the knowledge of his era.