How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid!

Posted by: jysuper

How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/04/06 04:58 PM

Hello all,

I was looking for the sports section but couldn't find one. Great soccer in Spain. Athletico just keeps on winning. Hopefully we can win the league. What about other teams in Spain? Anyone have a particular team?
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/04/06 05:25 PM

You know, their stadium is so close to me and yet I don't know anything about them. I thought they were LOSING! Maybe I'm thinking of Real Madrid. wink hehehe... Well good for them. SOMEDAY I'll have to make an effort to see a professional Spanish football/fútbol/soccer game.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/05/06 04:15 AM

jysuper: I saw part of the Atletico match this Saturday and was thrilled when the goalie Leo Franco stopped those 2 penalty shots to help them win against Betis.Atletico is now in 4th place and looking to challenge the 3 front runners Barca,Madrid and Sevilla.I follow spanish futbol regularly, and now I'm able to watch it live on GOL TV(www.goltv.tv)since my cable tv company here in San Diego began to carry this channel in August.

MadridMan: You seem to have a major PET PEEVE or ATTITUDE against soccer(the # 1 pastime in Spain and the #1 sport in the entire world).It seems that when someone starts a thread about soccer you respond with an attitude of INDIFFERENCE,NEGATIVITY and SARCASM.Yet,even though you've made it obvious that futbol doesn't interest you,you still keep responding to these threads.I find that rather puzzling about you.

If soccer talk annoys you so much,why don't you put up a sign just like you did for the POLITICS and that way we won't annoy you anymore wink

Gee,I always thought that a TRUE MadridMan would at least sympathize with soccer since it's the #1 pastime in Spain.And what about this obvious anti- Real Madrid attitude of yours?I find it really,really STUPID.Real Madrid has always been a very succesful operation and a source of great pride for the city of Madrid and the country of Spain.REAL MADRID IS CONSIDERED TO BE THE BEST SOCCER CLUB IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!! If you were smarter you would use this as a positive asset in order to promote your message board.

I'm sorry dude but I think your attitude is totally wrong. frown
Posted by: Eddie

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/05/06 06:04 AM

And Ronaldinho became a Spanish Citizen this week!

El Rey: I personally like Celta de Vigo.

We were in your ciudad for Thanksgiving week to visit our son. We stayed at Mission Valley Resort on Hotel Circle; spent Saturday afternoon at Old Town; went to Sunday Mass at Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá, and had a wonderful time overall. cool

Several groups of Soccer players (one: 13-year olds; another: middle-age men) were staying at the hotel/resort that weekend. They got up early and went to play their matches. Futbol is alive and well and living under an assumed name (Soccer) in San Diego, California. :jump:

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/05/06 06:14 AM

Quote:
If you were smarter you would use this as a positive asset in order to promote your message board.
YOUCH! That hurts!

I haven't had a "Rant Against MadridMan" in quite some time. I thought I was doing something right there for awhile. wink

Dear El Rey, I'm not sure where you're reading about my Anti-Real Madrid attitude or anti-Spanish soccer in general. Maybe there was something lost in the textual translation but I have nothing against soccer in Spain - I simply don't know much about it. From time to time I'll catch the bigger rivalry games like Real Madrid versus F.C. Barcelona and/or Real Madrid versus Atlético de Madrid but apart from those I don't take much time to pay attention to the teams or the scores of the games.

As for being a "TRUE" MadridMan - of that you can be sure. But that doesn't mean I must be a BIG supporter of Madrid Football, Madrid Bullfighting, Madrid Flamenco, Madrid Paella, and Madrid Politics, does it? Not everything Madrid is green. A "TRUE" MadridMan would observe, realize, and share that. smile

I wish the best to Real Madrid, F.C. Barcelona, Atlético de Madrid, and whatever other team in Spain (none of which I can remember now, I'm sorry to say).

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/05/06 10:47 PM

Eddie:Glad to know that you were here in San Diego for Thanksgiving and enjoyed it.As you know San Diego's past is strongly linked to Spain.The Mission of San Diego de Alcala,Old Town etc all date back to Spanish colonial time,a few hundred years ago.Also,the climate and geography of this region strongly resembles that of Mediterranean Spain(Andalucia.Levante etc).

Ronaldinho scored a goal today for Barca,I love to watch him play.He is a good person off the field too,I wish him the best.

Your team Celta did very well last year in the Liga.I think they finished 5th or 6th,I'm not sure.Have you ever been to Balaidos stadium?

MadridMan:My best wishes for the Ohio State Buckeyes on the National Championship game.By the way I think we might have a Super Bowl team here in San Diego this year.Our Chargers are on a roll and looking very good so far(10-2) xfingers
Posted by: Eddie

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/06/06 07:38 AM

ElRey writes:
Quote:
... As you know San Diego's past is strongly linked to Spain.The Mission of San Diego de Alcala,Old Town etc all date back to Spanish colonial time,a few hundred years ago.Also,the climate and geography of this region strongly resembles that of Mediterranean Spain.
More than 400 or so years ago when Fray Junipero Serra built Mission San Diego as the first on the Mission Trail (Camino Réal).

Actually, I thought the geography was more like that of Pontevedra (Galicia). Take the coastal route from Baiona to la Guardia and you will see. The Climate: that's a whole nuther story!

In Old Town, my wife asked some Mariachis to play El Rey, a song she likes. We also enjoyed the folkloric Mexican dances kids were performing

The only downside of our trip was when a Taxi driver told us it would cost twenty bucks to take us from the Mission to the Mission San Diego Trolley station. It was Sunday and the Chargers were playing the Raiders; and, as you know, it's not far from there to the Stadium

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/06/06 10:59 AM

El Rey,

You know I'm a big Buffalo Bills fan. I live in Western New York. The Chargers took it to us on last Sunday. They are good. They look like a Super Bowl Contender. They must get past Indy, New England, and Cincy though. I'm a bigger football fan than soccer fan but hopefully the Bills can do better next season!

Go Bills!
Posted by: neilstrauss23

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/07/06 02:59 PM

Well enough!!! heard a lot of football here... but i will stacked up with REAL MADRID......CAMPEONES, ole, ole ole!!!
Posted by: Jamongris

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/12/06 02:54 AM

Quote:
REAL MADRID IS CONSIDERED TO BE THE BEST SOCCER CLUB IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!
Come on El Rey, everyone knows thats West Ham United wink

I tend to have sympathies for the underdog, as do many neutrals, so in Madrid Athletico get my support, although I have enjoyed watching some high quality football from Real over the years.

I´m also enjoying Sevilla at the moment. They are doing extremely well and playing entertaining stuff too.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/12/06 11:54 AM

Wow!

West Ham United is the best team in the world??

Puzzling. Man U. still rules England! I thing Tevez learned a great lesson about not leaving before the game ends. Atletico has fallen a bit. I can't believe they lost to Espanyol. Well, looking forward to next week against Getafe. Boro is my team in the Premiership. How are they doing?

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/12/06 10:13 PM

Jamongris: My fav team from the EPL is Liverpool (Xabi Alonso,Luis Garcia,Gerrard,Crouch,Cisse,Rafa Benitez and the gang).

I too have been enjoying Sevilla and I loved it when they won the UEFA cup last May.They have been unstoppable ever since.

I did catch the match against Real Madrid a couple of days ago and it was more of a rugby match if you ask me(foul after foul after foul).It seemed like there was a guy down on the pitch every 15 seconds or so.There were 2 fantastic goals though:the goal by Beckham(from an impossible angle)and the second Sevilla goal(a bycicle kick that was so perfectly placed that Casillas had no chance).

jysuper: Tough loss for Atleti but don't despair,it's early in the season.Brace yourself for next Wednesday's match against Barcelona.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/14/06 05:35 AM

jysuper yes of course they are the best. Boro is a strange choice, why them? They´re not having a good season at the moment. The manager left to become Englands´in the Summer and they haven´t really found form yet. Usually a good cup side though.

El Rey, I can´t really say Liverpool are a team I enjoy watching. As with Valencia before, Benitez does seem to produce effective, but a little negative teams. They do have Englands´´ best player in Gerrard though, it´s a disgrace he is not captain of the national team.

Sevilla v R Madrid was not one of the best adverts for football. I hate it when it gets to the stage where all the players become more interested in cheating than playing football. It reminded me of Barcelona v Chelsea not that long ago......

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/14/06 01:11 PM

Jamongris,

I didn't know that. When Boro built their new stadium, I started following them. They need to expand Riverside. I had to pick a team so I picked them. They worked hard when I followed them.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/16/06 06:07 PM

Good Luck to Atletico against Getafe!

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/18/06 01:16 AM

jysuper,

Big win for Atleti yesterday (against a very stingy Getafe side that leads the league in less goals allowed)and this puts them back in forth place.This is very good if you take into consideration that they've lost two very important offensive players(Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Petrov)to long term injuries.A fourth place finish or better would get them into the UEFA Champions League where they haven't been in ten years. thumbsup

Jamongris,

Congrats,as West Ham really took it to Man U this weekend.Huge victory for them as they are fighting to get out of the relegation zone. smile

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/18/06 06:36 PM

Great win. Barcelona looms on Wednesday

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/19/06 03:43 AM

Thanks very much El Rey, they really did need that win after the other weekend results.

As I´m sure you know the premiership is extremely tight. They´re only 12 points off a UEFA place even being in the bottom three (West Ham fans are optimistic by nature !)

I read Bolton are interested in Beckham. Do you reckon he´ll leave Madrid in January ?

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/19/06 09:23 PM

He shouldn't. MLS wants him. Los Angeles in particular.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/20/06 08:06 AM

jysuper wrote:
Quote:
Great win. Barcelona looms on Wednesday
What time's the game? Maybe I can catch it at home if it's not on Canal+.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Torero

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/20/06 10:49 AM

Atleti is my favorite team! I used to live with a family in Getafe and they had season tickets, so we went to all the home games in the Calderon. It was an awesome experience. I've been to a few games at the Bernabeu and the atmosphere doesn't compare the noise and crowd in the Calderon. Atletico have had some down years since then, including a year in second division, but things are looking up and as all my Atletico friends say--this year is going to be good.

You can also find lots of good soccer info, including what games are being played each week on the AS newspaper website: www.as.com

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/21/06 07:16 PM

Thanks Torero for the link!

Atleti tied 1-1 at Barcelona.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/21/06 10:58 PM

Jamongris,

Regarding Becks there has been a lot of speculation about him coming to the MLS to play for the LA Galaxy.His wife was seen recently shopping around for a home in Los Angeles so there must be something very seriously cooking.We'll see what happens in January, but my best guess is that he will stay in Madrid until the end of the season when his contract expires. rolleyes

jysuper,

Here is an interesting statistic.Atleti has not lost to any of the 3 clubs that are ahead of them in the standings so far.They beat Sevilla and tied Real Madrid and Barcelona. thumbsup

Torero,

I agree with you in that the atmosphere is better at the Calderon because Atleti fans are very passionate.Recent renovations to the stadium have taken away a bit of the ambiance though.They have pushed both FONDO SUR and FONDO NORTE stands back a few meters from the goal line and this has reduced the crowd noise.So nowdays it is less intimidating for the opposing team because the fans are not as close to the pitch as they used to be. smile
Posted by: Torero

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/22/06 11:06 AM

That's sad news to hear, El Rey. I haven't been to a game in the Calderon in a few years, since I have only had the opportunity to travel to Madrid during teh summer off-season. I was in the stadium two years ago for the Hombres G and El Canto del Loco concert, but I guess I didn't notice the renovations to the interior of the stadium (a few too many cañas beforehand...)
Thanks for the update and I hope to get to an Atleti game sometime soon!!
Posted by: pedmar

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/22/06 04:17 PM

my favorite team in the world is REAL MADRID,also the best ever.

but I am biased; I played for them in the 1970-1971 season ---alavin division!
Mi corazon es blanco!!!

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/23/06 04:32 PM

Pedmar,

Was this the Real Madrid or the lower division. Real Madrid is a great team no doubt. They seem like the NY Yankees in that they buy championships with marquee players. Might be catching up to them.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 12/28/06 04:43 PM

jysuper
this is the alevin division:youth players of about 11-12 years old. unfortun did not stay long enough to try hope to make it to the big team but i am a register fan and socio
you can see it here in English or Spanish
http://www.realmadrid.com/portada_eng.htm
and comment on the peña por internet here in spanish only in our new server; the group have been together since 1995.
http://www.egrupos.net/grupo/realmadrid

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/02/07 11:41 AM

You know,

Atleti is my team in the Spanish League but in the EPL I might become a fan of Arsenal now instead of Boro. Boro has had some down years and myself being black it is encouraging to see show much diversity with Arsenal. They have a lot of black players that can play and play well despite some unfair atmospheres there.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/02/07 04:47 PM

he he he! well you know what we say about atletico colchoneros in city rivalty: the Madrid derby! always a great event.

now Arsenal has lots of good French player in particular one named Tierry Henry. they are always dangerous but nothing yet like Lyon in France.They need to win the big one;you know.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/02/07 05:20 PM

Definitely. I don't know much about the history of Arsenal but I will learn more.
Posted by: Meeko

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/05/07 08:12 PM

I just got to see my first ever soccer match (besides the mls 2006 cup)...i got to see El Barça vs. El Atleti Madrid on dec. 22 in Barcelona. What a game!! I had a press pass because my boyfriend works for a sports network and was able to see some of the players from Atleti up close as they talked to the media. I'll post the link to some pics at a later date, just got back from a 3 week tour of Spain, and the game was one of my favourites.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/07/07 01:35 PM

great Meeko; i know that souvenir will last a long time.
please do post some photos here/thanks

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/07/07 01:49 PM

Great man!

I hope to one day see Atleti in person. Definitely post those pics. Are you from Toronto Meeko?

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/12/07 04:21 AM

Beckhams off then. El Rey was right, Galaxy in LA it is. They reckon, apart from his contributions on the pitch to Madrid during which time they have remained trophy-less I think, that he has generated sales of a million Real Madrid shirts - quite incredible really.

I went to a new ground for me Wednesday night. Rayo Vallecano were playing Sevilla in the cup. A poor goal-less draw on a cold night but a very nice intimate stadium with a good atmosphere. I´d recommend going there for a change just to see a different level of football.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/12/07 02:56 PM

yes beckham is gone for a higher galaxy USD and business for Victoria. I understand that; its todays world. He did his part while there :the team is also richer than ever!

rayo vallecano i love it, know the field been there: once in a while in first division; i saw them then. better go for Real Madrid Castilla 2nd division .

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/15/07 05:45 PM

Beckham should bring exposure to the game but it is very difficult for Americans to enbrace this game. It is considered boring here. People like scoring which is something that soccer doesn't have enough of.
Posted by: Puna

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/16/07 02:40 PM

Anyone want to place bets on how long it takes Beckham and/or Victoria to 'star' in a movie???? wink

Actually, being a soccer fan (and player as a kid as and as the paent of one / AYSO was big on the West Coast and the Islands)I think Beckham's move will boost US interest in the game ....

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 01/18/07 04:09 PM

well they said the same thing when PELE came to America with the new york cosmos (i was there to welcome him at the stadium in ny) and it flops close went home and then it came the MSL.
I hope he does but its very very difficult over there;still seen as an immigrant sport.
I play semipro there (alevin with Real Madrid in Spain) and was all immigrants with names like Club España Newark NJ and Perth Amboy portuguese and Patterson Ukrainian ,and Kearny Scots;etc etc.
I think the USSF would do good to pick kids from these leagues.

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 02/20/08 01:53 AM

Big game for Atletico this Thursday against Billy theMan's Bolton Wanderers.Atletico trying to make some waves in the European circuit and looking to return to the glory days as one of Spain's best clubs.

BillytheMan if you are attending the match be careful around the outskirts of the stadium there were a few incidents when Aberdeen visited the Calderon a few months back.The usual drunk fans and there were a few that were hurt.Keep a low profile and enjoy the game. smile
Posted by: sallyanne

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 02/21/08 09:41 AM

i work right next to Atletico Madrids ground, so am waiting patiently for all the english fans to arrive!! I finish at 7pm, so there will probably be lots of them milling around by then. I hope there is no mtrouble this time, and that its a good clean game.
Posted by: billy the man

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 02/27/08 08:10 AM

"I hope there is no mtrouble this time, and that its a good clean game".

there was and no it was not laugh

report to follow
Posted by: sallyanne

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 02/28/08 09:33 AM

i know Billy, i was horrified!!

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 02/28/08 11:43 AM

i dont know what the Spanish papers are saying but over here the papers are going mad with the reports of police brutality towards the bolton fans,everynight there are long articles from people who were hit with batons and they were innocent bystanders, bolton have filed a complaint with uefa about the treatment dished out and ive just seen Atletico have been fined £30.000 pounds for not controling the crowd? (what thats for i do not know) it wasnt the crowd it was the riot police deciding that they wanted a riot, apart from all that we had a GREAT 3days in glorious (well it is to us at this time of year)weather and apart from the gound there was little trouble in the city

got loads of great pictures of ALL the events if you want them?

ive just found out the fine was for allowing the Atletico fans let off flares

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 02/29/08 05:44 AM

billy, good result for Bolton over two legs, I was very surprised given to two teams respective league form.

Given that you have an eye witness account, it is hard to disagree with your version of events. However, it does make me wonder when every time English clubs travel anywhere and there are almost inevitably problems, and the British press inevitably blames the heavy handed foreign police force, if that can always be the case.

What is also strange is that Spanish football has more domestic problems than English football in terms of fighting, yet less problems on their travels.

I would like to see some piccies too though. Do you ever update your web site btw ?

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 02/29/08 09:41 AM

"Do you ever update your web site btw ?"

well yes and no, because it is just a bit of fun and nothing to serious and it is not officialy on the web i sometimes get downhearted and think can i be bothered when nobody is looking at it, then i get a remark or comment and i think great and get my enthusiasum back clap

Anyway at the stadium
im not saying for one minuete the bolton fans were whiter than white, in fact i nearly clouted a drunken lout near me who was baiting the Madrid fans who were sat next to us. the problem was these drunken yobs (and yes thats what they are)were not watching the game they were goading the riot police and were facing them so as soon as the police charged they ran off and the innocent fans watching the game got the full force of the batons, it did not matter old young women children they felt the full force, and they were holding there hands up to fend off and were just getting bashed around the body it was not nice to see, if the yobs had got leathered then i would have appluded the police but im afraid its never the ones who deserve it get coshed.
like i say the Madrid fans (who were milling around us)were great no problems and we were having good banter.
The incident behind the goals where the Atletico ultras hang out was ive heard a protest at the price of tickets they charged when bolton could sell ours at 5 pounds at the reebok and it was 44 euros at the cauldren they set off a flare which was a signal to empty the stand in protest, when all but a few left they fought between themselves and that promted the police to charge. The bolton fans who were in the que to get in were charged by 3 police horses and people taking pictures and video were getting there cameras whacked out of there hands
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cnYb0igskxU
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Re13pSG5Vmk
loads of people had head wounds and bruises and one lad a fractured wrist the planes looked like they had been in a war zone on the way home

in answer to the question of english fans traveling abroad i think it has a lot to do with the 90s when we had a bad reputation travelling abroad i think the police still think they are all like that when we played munich there was the same police presance but no trouble but tottenham in Seville and Aberdeen in Madrid both had fan problems. the Madrid fans were just as noisy and boistourous in bolton never a problem with the police or fans they in fact enhanced the atmospere with their presance and were a pleasure to see and hear
www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_page_id=1779&in_article_id=517529 - Similar pages

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/whizz2007/n506793367_587376_995.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/whizz2007/n506793367_587381_2297.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/whizz2007/gallery_1460_3_33352.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/whizz2007/gallery_1460_3_104279.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/whizz2007/n506793367_587365_7801.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/whizz2007/n506793367_587356_5260.jpg

Anyway forget the post MadridMan is this the longest post youve ever had? gotta be near the record and especialy considering i could carry on a bit longer

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Re: How about Spanish Soccer! Go Athletico de Madrid! - 03/01/08 05:33 AM

Wow, some reply Billy !

I have read and enjoyed some of your blog, the bits about Madrid, Wembley and Benidorm, so your efforts aren't in vain.

I've also looked at the videos and photos, all very sad and quite scary really. What is obvious to me is that, regardless of whose fault it is, if UEFA doesn't act there will be a more fatalities at football grounds. frown