Wedding Gift

Posted by: JCSargent

Wedding Gift - 05/22/06 09:54 PM

I have an exchange student who invited us to go to Madrid for her wedding. We cant leave the states because our daughter is expecting a baby that week.
Is it rude to send the couple a gift of money?
Some cultures consider this in poor taste.or is it OK.
Posted by: edel

Re: Wedding Gift - 05/23/06 04:43 AM

It is quite normally in spain to give money as a gift for a wedding. i wouldnt think its rude, its more of an everyday thing here. If you dont feel happy sending money maybe you could send a gift cert for something like el corte ingles??
Posted by: spanishl

Re: Wedding Gift - 05/23/06 06:11 AM

It also depends if the couple is asking for money or they have a wedding list (lista de boda). Does it say something in the invitation cards?
Posted by: JCSargent

Re: Wedding Gift - 05/23/06 05:07 PM

Nothing in the invitation just the wedding and rception invitation. I will send her (them) money. Thanks
Posted by: Murdy

Re: Wedding Gift - 05/24/06 05:21 PM

Just an additional comment on weddings and money-giving. As edel said, it is not at all unusual for money to be given to the newlyweds, especially by members of the family. You can always say, "we'd rather you spent it on something you really want".

In fact, "wedding lists" sometimes are really money lists in disguise, so even if there is a list, and you put yourself down for that fancy microwave oven...you may be giving money in the end.