gift for a spanish family

Posted by: laura7412

gift for a spanish family - 08/07/05 11:22 PM

Hey there,

I will be living with a Spanish family in Madrid this fall and I need to get them a gift. All I know is that I'll be living with an older woman, her son, and her friend. Any ideas??
Posted by: kelar419

Re: gift for a spanish family - 08/07/05 11:44 PM

Host family gifts are always kinda tough, if you do a search I think there has been a lot of discussion about this on this board. The first time I studied abroad I brought a picture frame, and then at the end of my time with them I gave them a photo of us to put in it. They seemed to really like it. The second time around, I tried to be a little more original, I brought them a book of photos of my home town, Chicago, along with the picture frame. The book turned out to be great because it kinda served as a "break the ice" kinda thing for my first night there, with them asking questions, me telling about my favorite places in the city, etc.
Good Luck!
Kelly
Posted by: Raquel_dup1

Re: gift for a spanish family - 08/22/05 02:41 PM

Being from Boston I brought my host family a bunch of Boston stuff! My senora especially loved a magnet! Her fridge was COVERED. Its a fun tradition to start for her because she can see all the different places her boarders come from!!
Also when my roommate and I finished the semester we got her something little. In return she got us a cute lil jewlery set!