Drugs in clubs

Posted by: ninas

Drugs in clubs - 11/30/04 06:56 PM

What do you think about people drugging women/men (to get them to have sex) in bars, does that really happen in spain, i've heard some pretty grusem stories out there.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/01/04 04:00 AM

First time I hear that.
Posted by: sallyanne

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/01/04 06:08 AM

It's no more of a problem than anywhere else. I don't think it's really a big problem, have been going to pubs/clubs all my life in UK and Spain and have never had this problem. Don't worry!
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/01/04 12:32 PM

I've neither heard of such a thing...

Fernando

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/01/04 04:16 PM

I'm not planning to to go out and get myself drunk, but my mother advised me to buy a drink myself and take it everywhere i go and if i leave it anywhere to not to touch it and to buy a new one, just in case someone has put something in the drink,she said that if your with family or/and close friends that you shouldn't worry but to warn them ahead of time,that you will not be doing any "hanky panky" and will not be taking anyone home or visaversa.that way they can see if something is wrong,example"you were fine a minute a ago, got up to dance,left your cup on the table and when you return you start drinking and then suddenly get so drunk from that one cup that you start to pass out,therefor making the impression that your drunk and "forcing" the people that your with to carry you HOME. eek
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/02/04 03:54 AM

Yes, I understand what you mean, but I never heard about putting drugs in drinks in Spain. If it happens, it must be a real unusual case, no more frequent than anywere else.

About the drinks, I never take those precautions, and neither do my friends, male or female, and I never saw them drugged that way, the only thing we have suffered recently in some places with are some new customs brought from other countries: If you leave your drink unnatended sometimes you find it ... empty! Which is nasty but not so dangerous. smile

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/02/04 10:46 AM

Your mum is right, you do need to be aware that these things can happen, but don't be overly worried. However, if you do feel strange at any time make sure you seek help imedialtely. I don't think you'll have any problem.

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/02/04 03:53 PM

Yea... I know what you guys mean. Maybe I'm just be a "bit" paranoid. smile
Posted by: DJC

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/06/04 09:04 PM

I don't know about Spain, but as a former felony prosecutor here in the US, I can tell you that these "date rape drugs" are a problem in the states and you should always use comon sense and pay attention to the people around you and watch your drink, whatever it is. Don't stress out over it -- just play smart.
Posted by: englishrose

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/07/04 04:20 AM

According to press reports, it's world wide this problem. In the UK I believe we now have or will soon, drink bottles that have the bottle top on and has a hole in the middle so you can put a straw through! Depends what drinks you like though I guess.

Don't let it worry you and spoil you're fun. Keep drinks near you and dont let anyone buy a drink for you unless you are with them at the bar and know all is ok.

Enjoy your time there smile
Posted by: filbert

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/07/04 01:16 PM

It's sounds as though this problem started in the US and then appeared in the UK. They say that what happens in the US happens in the UK 3 to 5 years later.
It's called
Quote:
progress
Posted by: englishrose

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/07/04 03:38 PM

Correct Filbert
Posted by: kelar419

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/07/04 07:46 PM

its definitely a problem in the states, thats just my opinion, and it may have something to do with the fact that I live on a large university campus with some 36,000 students. it happen to my friend last year, or so we think... she had only one drink, and she (and all of us for that matter), left her drink on a window sill (really commnon thing to do at this particular bar), and danced for not more than 5 minutes. she thankfully did not end up being raped because we took her home, made sure she was ok, but it was a definte scare, and other people on my campus have not been so fortunate in the past. a week doesnt go by that their isnt some advertisement warning of such things in our campus newspaper.

that said, if you spend all your time worrying, you will be miserable, i dont know if its a problem in spain, but i say take the same precautions you would anywhere else and dont be paranoid.

kelly

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/07/04 09:40 PM

Thanks Kelly, maybe the answer is to have someone to back me up in case I need some help?
It's always a good idea to go out with friends besides I don't like to go out alone...it's kinda boring that way. wink

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/08/04 10:09 AM

Filbert, Us (the UK) copying the USA 3-5 years later is not progress in my book, it's a definite step backwards!
Posted by: filbert

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/08/04 12:27 PM

The reason I put the word "progress" in quotes was to signify that I was being ironic...
There are many good things that come from the States, however this tendency to use date-rape drugs is not one.

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/09/04 09:51 AM

sorry Filbert, i missed the quotation marks!! I like your sarcasm in which case!! Or irony!!
Posted by: ChrisR

Re: Drugs in clubs - 12/16/04 02:05 PM

Don't know if anyone will read to the end of this string, but I did want to say that the "date"-rape drugs are believed to have been used in some of the sexual assaults against US citizens in the Madrid, Salamanca and Acala de Henares areas. I believe in only one case was there a positive forensic result, but several of the other victims delayed reporting and several of these types of drugs are undectable after 24 to 48 hours.

In talking with victims, many do not remember what happened to them, so they believe they were drugged. Most of the cases have involved women who were at bars (no direct reports of discos) and were given an open drink.

It does not seem to be a major issue in Spain, but just something to keep in mind. Again, there is safety in numbers and as the previous poster pointed out, it's better to have your friends around to get you home.

Also the biggest drug is alcohol, so enjoy, but be reasonable and responsible and have a designated driver or use a taxi.

Re: Drugs in clubs - 01/14/05 05:16 PM

wink Thanks...............