Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players

Posted by: Azmeet

Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 03:40 AM

I was just watching a news report on the BBC that showed many Spanish fans shouting racist insults at the black players from the British football team at a recent game in Spain. Can somebody please explain why the Spanish people find that it is acceptable to do that. While many Spanish people like to think that they are much more cultured than Americans, I can't imagine something like the football incident that happened in Spain happening in America. Even from reading the posts on this message board, I get the feeling that Spanish people are very bigoted. I am just having a hard time understanding how so many fans can think that it is okay to taunt somebody just because they are black. This incident and the many racist posts on this board have really has changed my opinion of Spanish people.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 04:06 AM

Well, in yesterday's match, IMO, once the English team saw they were behind because their play was worse, they decided to win trhough force. The spctacle they gave kicking and bumping into the spanish player was lamentable and really dangerous for those stars.

If in a game that is purely for training (no clasification effects, called "friendly game") and it's by the national teams (pay very little compared to clubs) you can be injured and be out for a year or more because they break your knee or the like, how can you expect players to play at ease? They get shy, because they are not going to risk their careers for a match with the national selection, in a so called "friendly".

When people see this bad behaviour, they get furious and, since we're here freer of PC, thanks God, they call the whatever may be more irking for them. Be it black, or gay, or fat, or f*cking bald, or traitor, or whatever.

Furious people behave like this in most places, which includes Britain, and I would be much more worried about the causes of this fury, that is, the extreme violence in play that causes it.
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 04:22 AM

Ignacio, how can you condone the monkey noises and racial abuse poured upon the black players by not just a few idiots and bigots in that crowd?? It was disgraceful and I thought I had gone back in time to the seventies when this sort of thing was prevalent. mad

The English team were terrible. They were as poor as any English team I have seen. They were aggressive and hard and a couple of challenges were dreadful. Rooney the Looney was taken off before he hurt somebody. However the Spanish team were making a meal of some of it and playacting trying to con the referee and all credit to him he saw through a lot of it.

However, there is no excuse for the racial abuse. A disgrace. You can see what neutrals think in Azmeet's comments, although for goodness sake Azmeet, please don't generalise like that. All Spanish people are not xenophobic or rascist.

Ignacio, don't blame violent play for the consistent rascist taunting FROM THE FIRST WHISTLE last night and during the under 21 game the night before. The main cause is that clown of a manager Aragones and if he isn't sacked by the Spanish FA ahead of the disciplinary action which will surely follow from FIFA, then the Committee in charge of your national team are as guilty as that rascist bastard! mad

Excuse my language, but you are so off the mark I am tempted to believe you have said these things purely to wind everyone up on here. I hope not.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 05:02 AM

As for Aragonés, I agree.

As for the yellings from the first whistle, I couldn't tell. I heard there were, but I hadn't heard that they were previous to the violence. I saw the match in TV, and they became only notorious after that black guy began reaping legs.

And as for the racial insults, I won't or wouldn't condone them if they were meant by racial motivations but, as I said before, if teh player guy had a small moustache maybe he could have been called Hitler or Franco, and had he had big feet he would have been called Bigfoot or Yeti.

What I mean is that I believe that it's not really a racial issue, that those people didn't really care wether he was black or not and that they started the racial name calling to express their disgust (or,as you say to support Aragonés. That sounds even more probable) and that they could have been making name-calling on anything else, as you and I very well know happens in many, many football games. smile

I do not condone the racial insults, which I consider awful to say the least, just point out that massive public insult is often heard and that racial was just accidental be it to support Aragonés or to complain of violence. Therefore, it's not a proof of the spanish being racists.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 05:30 AM

My God! eek How shocking! I'm now looking for news on it and found them everywhere, including the BBC.co.uk page HERE :

Thursday, 18 November, 2004, 08:01 GMT
Spanish FA awaits racism inquiry

Fifa and Uefa are set to launch an inquiry into the Spanish FA after black England players were subjected to racist abuse in Wednesday's friendly.

Shaun Wright-Phillips and Ashley Cole had to endure monkey chants in the ill- tempered clash in Madrid.

Sports minister Richard Caborn said: "I will write to my Spanish counterpart to express my outrage. I would like the Spanish FA to condemn the scenes.

"I also expect Fifa and Uefa to fully investigate the issue."

Caborn added: "There is no place for racism in football or modern society, and I strongly believe that action needs to be taken at the highest level."

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson said: "It's very bad to hear when people boo players because of the colour of their skin.

"At Lazio four years ago we had some fans who did the same. When things like this happen, then something must be done."

Piara Powar, spokesman for British football's anti-racist organisation Kick It Out, said: "Uefa needs to threaten the Spanish with closure of stadia, with a ban."

Gordon Taylor, the head of the players union, says England's players should have been told to make a stance by walking off during the game.

"The message should have come down from the FA directors, to say we will take responsibility for this and take them off," the Professional Footballers Association chief executive said.

The Football Association had already complained to Uefa after several England U-21 players were targeted in their game on Tuesday and it will now be highlighting the incidents during the senior game.

Captain David Beckham, who plays at the Bernabeu for Real Madrid, admitted the chanting had surprised him.

"Playing here and living here, I've never heard anything towards racism at all," said Beckham.

"I was surprised but it's something the FA and world football are trying to cut out and they are working very hard."

The actions of the Spanish fans follow the controversy surrounding Spain coach Luis Aragones.

He allegedly made racist remarks in October about Thierry Henry ahead of Spain's game with France.

Aragones claimed he was trying to motivate Henry's Arsenal team-mate Jose Reyes in training.

He has not made a personal apology to Henry, and refused to comment on Wednesday's incidents.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 05:39 AM

I think this supports what I said:

Quote:
Captain David Beckham, who plays at the Bernabeu for Real Madrid, admitted the chanting had surprised him.

"Playing here and living here, I've never heard anything towards racism at all," said Beckham.

And this, the Anchovy's (and mine now) believed causes for this, showing support for this most popular trainer, in a wrong way.

Quote:
The actions of the Spanish fans follow the controversy surrounding Spain coach Luis Aragones.
Posted by: Dommo

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 05:59 AM

Ignacio, to suggest that the spanish crowd making monkey noises at the black players was something to do with how the game had been played is utter rubbish. As has already been mentioned this started at the first whistle. I could have understood irate shouting at Rooney as he was out of control and needed to be taken off because of it.

The fact that that the monkey noises happened at the U21 game the previous night seems to point to it being an inherrant problem.

The fact is that in a lot of countries in western Europe if the national manager made a comment about Thierry Henry such as Aragonés made they would have been sacked on the spot. If the spanish FA continue to turn a blind eye to such incidents then the problem is never going to go away. I hope FIFA do something worthwhile this time and maybe these idiots might get the message that it is not acceptable. The same situation was stamped out in the UK by having strict rules about such fans being banned from matches etc. I hope the same thing can happen in Spain as I don't like to see Spain have it's name dragged through the mud because of some moronic bigots.
Posted by: Spanadian

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 06:03 AM

It's one of those things you have to come down very, very hard on whatever the apparent "motivation" for the behaviour (no excuses). A strong message should be sent that this behaviour will not be tolerated by the team, it's representatives, and the majority of Spanish football fans. Racism exists everywhere. It must be vigorously challenged.
Posted by: Bricamb

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 06:09 AM

I know that certain Spanish clubs attract a neo-nazi rightwing element and I reckon it was probably a number of them who were doing this chanting. To suggest that the chanting was provoked by what had been said about the trainer/manager is disingenuous to say the least. Black player kicks the ball - monkey chanting: white player kicks the ball - no monkey chanting: black player kicks the ball again - monkey chanting...isn't that clear enough?

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 06:29 AM

Ok, as I said before, I heard those chants only after the violence by that black guy, and from that point of view it's perfectly understandable that people were irked with him and called names to him, and not to others, white or not .

However in my previous posts in this very thread I learned from Anchovy that they were previous to the game itself.

Being it this way, I, too coinicided previously, that it probably was to show an erroneous form of support to Luis Aragonés, a coach I don't like at all either.

-I agree the chants were offensive and shouldn't have been made.

-I think this says nothing on how much spaniards are racists or no, because of the above said.

-There is not much the FIFA can do, because Clubs or National Federations cannot prevent what people is going to chant.

-There have always been insults in football, in Spain, and much more in England, who have been banned several times from European competition, not because of insulting but because of hooligans' violence, so this is no reason to make a fuss. Besides, in England (and elsewhere) some people have also made racist chants.

-There are no clubs with substancial neo-nazi attitude, but there are some clubs with tiny but noisy neo-nazi groups, like Atlético de Madrid (BTW Aragonés loved Club), that could the drag public, in situations like Aragonés'.

-I bet they won't do it against other teams who are not English. perhaps they did it because of the English press treatment of Aragonés comments some months before.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 07:03 AM

I have to say I still find it offensive, whether or not it is not meant to be, or a joke or whatever.

Unfortunately it isn't a one off either. I go to see Malaga every week and quite often if a black player upsets the home crowd it quite often triggers off a chorus of racist abuse and yes it is rascist, similar to the crap we heard last night. Every time it happens I can’t believe it, because we have usually at least three coloured guys on the field playing for the home side. What the hell must they think?? Maybe it is me being too sensitive. I certainly don’t hold back in my abuse of opposition players if they incite the crowd, having been known to question their parentage for example, but I would never stoop so low as to join in with the abuse as mentioned before.

Similarly I am amazed at seeing Nazi salutes and chants of Seig Heil, not only by the Ultras of Malaga but I’ve seen it at other grounds in Spain too. If that was in England the supporters concerned would be thrown out and probably arrested and barred too. Here I have never seen action taken against anyone and I am a bit sceptical if the Spanish Football Association give more than a slap on the wrist after this.

Sad frown
Posted by: Dommo

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 07:11 AM

Ignacio, you'd be suprised how much FIFA and country associations can do about this sort of thing. In the UK, any fans caught engaging in that kind of behaviour are booted out and banned. They are caught because either another fan might have reported them to stewards or they are caught after the fact on CCTV. You'd be amazed at the levels of CCTV coverage in British football grounds these days.

I agree totally about people drawing blanket conclusions about the Spanish on the basis of these fools. We have had to put up with the same. Some stupid England fans love a fight therefore we are all violent sociopaths.

I just hope FIFA do something about it and the Spanish FA stop turning a blind eye to it.

Let's hope it all dies down a little in the coming weeks. I'm sure the prospect of Barça versus Real Madrid will help distract people! smile
Posted by: filbert

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 07:56 AM

1) The English team was totally outclassed last night. It surprised many (including me) as we had most of our best players available.
2) The English players were quite violent (perhaps because they were frustrated?). Shameful to act this way in a friendly
3) The racist chanting is something we suffered from for many years in the UK. Obviously something needs to change in Spain (perhaps the Bernebeu could be made unavailable for international matches for a period of time?). Maybe the English FA could help in showing how racism has been tackled in the UK game. However I detect some sanctamonious attitudes (not on this BB) by English fans towards the Spanish. I can assure you that when England play Turkey there will be racist songs sung by the English fans, so our game is not perfect yet by a long way.
4) Echoing the previous post, let's hope the Barca-Madrid game helps us to forgot the unacceptable events of last night.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 08:25 AM

Anchovy:

Quote:

Unfortunately it isn't a one off either. I go to see Malaga every week and quite often if a black player upsets the home crowd it quite often triggers off a chorus of racist abuse and yes it is rascist, similar to the crap we heard last night.
Well, the problem must be that you consider racial insults worse than son of a b*tch, for example. I don't.

Some weeks ago, in a lunch with friends, a "friend" and me begun teasing each other in an increasingly spiral, and at the end he we ended up rather angry, so I looked where I could harm him more and remembered he was extremely special to find the right girl, so I begun to call him "virgin". It happens that I hit the right point and he was , in fact virgin at his 33, and he was (like most men would be) very ashamed of it. Had his weak point (what made him blush) been been black or being white or being too tall or tall small or heterosexual or homosexual, I would have used that all the same. And I am by no means, racist, or sexist, or "sizist". I can't see why colour is worse.

Quote:
Similarly I am amazed at seeing Nazi salutes and chants of Seig Heil, not only by the Ultras of Malaga but I’ve seen it at other grounds in Spain too. If that was in England the supporters concerned would be thrown out and probably arrested and barred too.
Yes, but always the ultras, who are at most 100 or 200 of the ten thousand or hundred thousand fans.

They are not banned and they are even subventioned because they are super-loyal to their clubs (more than anybody else), and are the ones who, in an organized way, start the chants (the regular ones, not only the insulting) to support the team in the fields, thus encouraging players and reinforcing club identity and right environment in the field.

I personally believe that, in spite of this, they should be treated like any other fan, with no advantage.

Quote:
Similarly I am amazed at seeing Nazi salutes and chants of Seig Heil, not only by the Ultras of Malaga but I’ve seen it at other grounds in Spain too. If that was in England the supporters concerned would be thrown out and probably arrested and barred too
Fortunately, being nazi nad hailing like nazis is not forbiddne in Spain, although it's is looked with real disgust by society, police, and judges. But, as they say (and me too): "I don't agree with their thoughts, but I will defend till death their right to think the way they want" (or sth. similar). Freedom of thought and speech must be even for those who do not respect other people's freedom.

Dommo:

Quote:
In the UK, any fans caught engaging in that kind of behaviour are booted out and banned. They are caught because either another fan might have reported them to stewards or they are caught after the fact on CCTV.
Well, here there was a crowd chanting. Either you telll everybody out or you let them be. Cameras and stewards are not enough for this task.

In regular games, when only the hooligans do that, they don't do anything because the above mentioned (answer to Anchovy).

About the rest, I agree, specially with Filbert.
Posted by: pim

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 08:36 AM

"I looked where I could harm him more...."

Gotta love that attitude, so constructive!... frown

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 08:49 AM

PIM, I could die for a good friend, but I could kill an enemy.

I suppose you try to help as much as you can those who annoy you. Begin by me, please. :p
Posted by: Murdy

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 03:01 PM

Jeeze, I was definitely watching a different game from the rest of you. With the mute on and one ear glued to the walkie-talkie because my daughter was sick with bronchitis, I missed all the monkey-chanting business. From the silence on the screen, all I saw was the English playing like it was a game from Segunda B. That was pathetic...as was the crowd's behavior from what you all say.

I was sort of surprised because I thought the people at the Bernabeu had gotten over doing all that. Years ago, monkey chanting was pretty common. I couldn't believe my ears the first time I heard it. I thought to myself, "Are these guys for real? And they say my country (USA) is rascist?" Can anyone imagine people doing something remotely similar at an American football game? There would be riots.

As soon as Real Madrid starting signing on black players, things pretty much calmed down, but they didn't disappear, obviously. Still, I think part of the problem was all the hype made about Aragonés' comments. Luis was definitely out of line, but perhaps the words were culturally misconstrued. In this politically correct world, we can't fathom anyone referring to another in public as "that black guy", or "scum" or whatever he said, I can't remember exactly, but in Spain it is still pretty common to call a black person "el negro" (though a nicer way is "moreno")or an oriental person "el chino" without meaning any harm by it, though that is not always the case. He could have eaisly called him "that french scum". That does justify it? Not really, but people should be aware of it before reaching conclusions.

The pre-game scandal was used to bring a little intensity into the game, and both sides took it too far. Remember it was supposed to be a Friendly. By the way, racist behavior and nazi emblems are not allowed in the stadium (Bernabeu)...and both the directors of the team as well as the press are generally quick to point any incidents out.

Does rascism exist in Spain? Of course,it does. But it does in a lot of places. And the English are not really ones to preach. I go down to Torrevieja every summer and most Brits don't want to have anything to do with the Spanish. And they're in Spain!! And those are the ones who bother coming. There are others who won't set foot in the "PIGS" countries. That is "Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain".

Anyway, I really don't consider Spain to be a racist country. Most Spaniards I know are quite open-minded.

You should also remember that immigration is a fairly new phenomenon here, and as it continues, and with a little hope, certain racial attitudes will begin to fade as culutral diversity grows.

So, I was sorely disappointed to hear about that. Especially since Spain had played so well in the first half and I was happy about the final score. If the UEFA or FIFA decide to take measures, then so be it. The Spanish probably deserve it.

What the Spanish society doesn't deserve is an international examination of its racial views. It's not fair and totally exaggerated.

Spanish hinchas are not a very reliable reflection of Spanish mentality, in my opinion.

Sorry, I was trying to be brief!
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 04:23 PM

Azmeet:
Quote:
Can somebody please explain why the Spanish people find that it is acceptable to do that.
Well, I can give you an accurate explanation: For the same reason english people are racists.

Let me explain myself: please think twice before cataloguing 42 million spaniards as racists cause a few dozens (or hundreds) shouted in a soccer match. Not every spaniard is a racist, nor obviously every english is. I found your statement quite offensive and rather simplistic.

I didn't see the match, nor I find acceptable the racial abuse. No excuses.

However, I think I know the explanation.

Weeks ago, the spanish team coach whispered something during a training session to motivate one of his players (Reyes).

This player (Reyes) is a co-player of Henry, a black player of an english soccer team (Manchester it was?).

Aragonés told him this: "Tell that **** black that you are better than him".

This statement, out of context, is highly offensive and racist. However, if you know that some of the best friends of Aragonés are black (for example Samuel Etoo, a Cameroon player which Aragonés consider almost his son), and said in the fray of an intense training put things in its place. He would have rather said "tell that **** bald that you are better than him". That, in my opinion, was the sense of his, very missfortunate, statement.

English press inmediately took advantage of it and started to warm the ambience towards yesterday match. Yesterday they provoked Aragonés calling him indirectly a racist.

Spanish fans knew it and, in my opinion, tried to make laugh of english press insistence and provocation in a very very regretable and unfortunate way: abusing black english players.

As you may see, we should put things in context to judge this attitude.

Every week there are lots of soccer matchs in Spain and it is not common such behaviour in fans (as you may know, there are dozens of black players in spanish teams) except (and not always) in radical neo-nazi fans (which may sum less than a thousand over a hundred thousand in Real Madrid for example).

Oh, and Aragonés apologized for what he said...

Fernando
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 05:22 PM

Fernando,
Do you think that this may affect Madrid's chances for the 2012 Olympics? Just read this in the Sportinglife.com
Quote:
Madrid's mayor Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon on Wednesday presented the official dossier for the city's bid for the 2012 Olympics by praising what Madrid and Spain have to offer.

"Let us face the responsibility. As a city and a country we are communicative, open, transparent and we are in a position to use those virtues to transmit this same dream that in Madrid feeds a true passion for sport, for the meeting of people and for peaceful co-existence," said Ruiz-Gallardon.

Less that 12 hours later, black players in the England football team were subjected to a barrage of vile racist abuse, which ranged from monkey chants to the song "Que no bote negro es!" which can be translated as "whoever doesn't jump up and down is a black."

Next to that, the night's other song of choice from the home fans, "Gibraltar Espanyol", seemed insignificant.

The chanting was not done by a small but vocal minority. Several thousand fans in Real Madrid's Santiago Bernabeu stadium joined in with gusto.

Neither was it done by people who could use a lack of education as an excuse. The vast majority of the crowd were young, upper middle class and likely to be well schooled.

So just where does Spanish sport fit between Gallardon's message of welcome and the chanting masses?

The answer is somewhere in between, although the situation could be improved if the problem was acknowledged.

"Racist chants? This doesn't happen in La Liga or in Spain," said the Spanish FA's press officer Fernando Garrido during Spain coach Luis Aragones' post-match press conference.

Mr Garrido may be a nice man, but in this case he has got his facts sadly wrong.

Only last Thursday, Atletico Madrid midfielder Kiki Musampa was subjected to monkey chants every time he touched the ball during his side's Copa del Rey match in Tarragona.

Maybe it's an exaggeration to say that happens every week in every ground in Spain, but it happens on a regular basis.

You can hear racist abuse quite often in grounds such as Getafe's Colosium Alfonso Perez and Atletico Madrid's Vicente Calderon as well as others.

Some people would prefer to believe the problem does not exist.

"It's one thing to say we have a national coach who lets his mouth run away with him now and then, but something else to see things that are not there," said Marca columnist Miguel Angel Mendez, who insisted accusations of racist chanting during the Spain-England Under-21 game were "a lie."

Indeed, many in the Spanish press believing their English counterparts came over looking for a fight and aiming to cause trouble.

They simply do not understand that Aragones' comments about Thierry Henry last month were offensive and incidents of casual racism are all too common.

Only last week Marca compared Spain's most famous basketball player - Pau Gasol - with Shaquille O'Neal.

"All he has to do is paint himself black and inject silicone into his lips," they joked under a cartoon of Gasol.

Atletico Madrid's recently deceased president Jesus Gil (a man who gave Aragones a job on two different occasions) once commented "I hope they kill the black," after the crowd turned on Atletico's Colombian striker 'Tren' Valencia.

Even former Real Madrid coach Vicente del Bosque, a man considered to be warm-hearted and of a left-wing leaning, showed the lack of progress Spain has made in terms of understanding racial issues.

Four years ago when asked if the signing of black central midfielders Claude Makelele and Flavio Conceicao would be a problem for him, he replied, "The only problem I will have is telling them apart."

frown eek eek

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 05:38 PM

Probably Booklady. Very probably.

UK has made of this a state's issue, with a minister and even Blair himself critisizing the issue and labelling Spain as a racist country.

This won't end here. There is a lot of people (all outside Spain) willing to take this as a crusade against racism. They will want to make example of this. You will probably see the french (Paris is another candidate for the Olympics in 2012) pressing for a sanction.

What a pitty frown

Anyway, there are things with which one shouldn't play, and racist insults is one of them.

Fernando
Posted by: ChrisS

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 10:03 PM

I was disgusted and outraged by this incident when I read about it in soccernet http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=316774&cc=5901

I also do think that many Spaniards are openly racist. (I've lived there) I also think that racism is everywhere. Racism should not be condoned under any circumstance but the way that England is taking their righteous moral high ground is wrong. Racism is taught in the home, among friends and in society. It will take the openness of some courageous people in Spain to help reverse this trend. I won't defend Spain for having racism in the modern era but it is also of note that they have not been subject to such immigration in several hundred years since the Moorish invasion. I had to explain to one of my friends why the Spanish eat so much pork. Racism spawns out of ignorance, intolerance and a general fear of the unknown. In a similar fashion, I had a Spanish student in the English class he was teaching and the student remarked that every time he passed by bernabeau he got physically sick. When he was asked why he replied," everyone in my family is an atletico supporter and my father always told me that real was to be hated."

basta ya!! a terrorismo y racismo

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/18/04 10:48 PM

Quite frankly, ChrisS, your generalizations about the Spaniards are out of line. There are individuals everywhere that are racists. You are using a broad brush when you say "many Spaniards are racists." Spain does not have any more of a racial problem than any other country in the world, less than some.

Second, what is this: "I had to explain to one of my friends why the Spanish eat so much pork." What do you mean by this? Sounds like a racist generalization to me! Here in the south Sunny's bar-B-Que sells a lot of pork, are they racists because they like pork!

Third, talking about football rivalries, it certainly cannot be any worse than those here in the U.S. Let me see, the FSU Seminole fans and
the University of Florida Fans can get just as nasty, and I have heard parents say in disdain that their Gator Baby is not going to FSU!

Please, a little more civility, please.
Posted by: Wolf

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 12:40 AM

Comments like this bother me:

Quote:
Only last week Marca compared Spain's most famous basketball player - Pau Gasol - with Shaquille O'Neal.

"All he has to do is paint himself black and inject silicone into his lips," they joked under a cartoon of Gasol.

Since there obviously was no provocation for a cartoon like this, it shows me that racism is running rampant in Spain, and people spend way too much time trying to say it's "okay," because Spaniards "speak their mind."

It doesn't wash on this issue, and it doesn't wash on the game in Madrid either.

Either you are or are not bigots, and as of now, one can only feel that there's enough bigotry in Spain to make it a serious problem that has to be dealt with.

Instead of making excuses for it, why not find a way to put an end to it, like you should. Until you do, you're supporting it, because you've failed to stand up against it.

Personally, I would be hard pressed to vote in favor of Spain getting the 2012 Olympics at this time. Until the nation showed they had put this kind of bigotry to rest, I would never vote for them to have such an honor.

Wolf
Posted by: Bricamb

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 03:18 AM

I don't believe that the Spanish are any more racist that anyone else although I have to agree that racial stereotypes in cartoons, on TV etc seem more acceptable there than in other countries. Who knows, one day Spain may have black players in their national side and then what will the racist fans do?

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 03:59 AM

Quote:
Instead of making excuses for it, why not find a way to put an end to it, like you should. Until you do, you're supporting it, because you've failed to stand up against it.
That's exactly right, Wolf. Up to now everyone has acted like ostriches and refuse to believe there is a problem and brush it off as unimportant. Today however, the Marca sports newspaper has apparently devoted four or five pages to the problem, although I haven't seen it yet.

As for England taking the righteous moral high ground being wrong ChrisS, put yourselves in the boots of the players involved the other night and ask yourself how you and your children would feel if you were humiliated by the monkey noises that taunted them throughout the whole of the game? Is it wrong to condemn that so strongly? I think not.

Quote:
one day Spain may have black players in their national side and then what will the racist fans do?
One thing I can't ever begin to grasp is that this abuse happens on an almost weekly basis at the ground I go to. Whenever a black player is seen as a "villain" the monkey noises come from different sections of the crowd around the stadium, not just the Ultras although it is a minority. I have a season ticket for the same seat each week and when it happens, apart from glaring at anyone who is near me and saying in loud terms that they are all ******** idiots, I feel powerless and have to confess to sticking my head in the sand too, because I know that if I was to point them out to the police I would never be able to ever take my seat there again and as I love my footie I'm not that righteous as to forego that priviledge wink

Anyway, that's the end of my input. Look forward to better days. Maybe this is what has been needed after all.
Posted by: deibid

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 04:06 AM

I'm ashamed and embarrassed. Aragones must exit the national team.
This has NEVER happened in any national team match nor any violence!
This is a sad day for Spain.
Aragones may be a decent coach, but he's stupid!
Please, try not to generalize, we are not all the same , though there IS racism in our society and it's a growing problem.
Bye, Madrid 2012. We'd better forget about it.
Posted by: pim

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 09:13 AM

Fernando, I can agree with some of the things you say, but you have forgotten to mention that Aragonés, when asked about his alledged racist comment from last month by the UK press, went defensive and gave them what maybe some of them wanted exactly, to sell more papers, making matters MUCH WORSE with a totally uncalled for reference to England's "colonial history" right before Wednesday's match. That's what I call a real 'metepatas'!!! And, the thruth of the matter is, if one carelessly offends a country as a whole like he did, then is hard to blame others for generalising and calling us all racists....So this would all be yet another matter of "who started it?"

To me the saddest part is that the players towards whom the monkey noises were directed at weren't taking part in this "provocation game".... frown

Wolf, from my "Spanish perspective", the example of the Marca cartoon, the way you've described it, only proves yet again that Spaniards are WAY LESS politically correct than other peoples, we consider treating certain supposedly extremely touchy issues with 'naturalidad', above all, is the best policy to fight racism in this particular case. I mean, the joke could have very well been reverse; I'm no big sports reader, but I know Spanish press; portraying S. O'Neill for some reason being transformed into P. Gasol, and they would have said: "all he needs to do is use some bleach and have his hair straightened" or something similar, and that'd be all!, so it's not derogatory or meant as anything but a plain and pretty bad joke about people's actual racial traits.

Murdy, I too feel very strange, I watched the game at a bar and was totally oblivious to how the crowd was acting, totally missed it! eek

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 10:40 AM

Agreed Pim, you are right, he made things worse.

As for having a black in our national team we have had two already (Donato, of brazilian procedence, and Benjamín).

As for the comment on Marca about Shaquille O'Neal and Pau Gasol ("All he has to do is paint himself black and inject silicone into his lips," they joked under a cartoon of Gasol.), I fail to see what's wrong with it... They are saying that Shaquille O'Neal is a superb player to which Gasol can only be compared. I think that you are so used to avoid "potentially racist" statements that you see them everywhere. If they had written "All he has to do is to put himself a pearcing and shave his head" you wouldn't have said it is a bigotry... the comment was made without intention and not implying that being black was anything to be shame of (to the contrary, in fact).

We have now more than three million inmigrants in Spain. I really think that it is better to deal with inmigration naturally than the way racial minorities are integrated in anglesaxon societies: in ghettos. You won't see racial states in any of our cities (though there are some states in which inmigrants are more common), nor will you see schools in which all the children are inmigrants.

Frankly, I think that you tend to judge us by your social standards, and yes, with a hint of disrespect and a high moral attitude.

Racial discrimination is a crime in Spain, as it is in sport events. As I have said before, attitudes like the ones we are discussing about are not acceptable (no matter they have an explanation), and sanctions should be applied against the spanish soccer team.

But deriving other consequences and judging an entire country is too much for a soccer match (in my opinion).

Fernando

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 10:51 AM

Quote:
As for the comment on Marca about Shaquille O'Neal and Pau Gasol ("All he has to do is paint himself black and inject silicone into his lips," they joked under a cartoon of Gasol.), I fail to see what's wrong with it... They are saying that Shaquille O'Neal is a superb player to which Gasol can only be compared. I think that you are so used to avoid "potentially racist" statements that you see them everywhere. If they had written "All he has to do is to put himself a pearcing and shave his head" you wouldn't have said it is a bigotry... the comment was made without intention and not implying that being black was anything to be shame of (to the contrary, in fact).

We have now more than three million inmigrants in Spain. I really think that it is better to deal with inmigration naturally than the way racial minorities are integrated in anglesaxon societies: in ghettos. You won't see racial states in any of our cities (though there are some states in which inmigrants are more common), nor will you see schools in which all the children are inmigrants.

Frankly, I think that you tend to judge us by your social standards, and yes, with a hint of disrespect and a high moral attitude.
Fernando, I thought we´d never agree completely on any matter, but this time I do.

But let me edit, from my point of view your last paragraph:

Quote:
Frankly, I think that you tend to judge us by your social standards, and yes, with a hint of disrespect and a supposedly higher moral attitude.
Posted by: filbert

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 01:19 PM

I saw this on another bulletin board (reached via www.guardian.co.uk)
Quote:
ArCa.....let's see, when England play Germany we hear themes from World War 2 movies throughout the game and Nazi salutes from the England fans during the playing of (bizarrly) both National Anthems, when England play France the tabloid press fell free to issue "frog free editions" and reams of abusive tripe bout the opposition. Against the Republic of Ireland, when not trying to tear their stadium apart, the old refrain "no Surrender to the I.R.A." despite the fact that much of that organisation is based in Northern Ireland !. Abuse of the Spanish - long before last night - when the "Daego" word is used with fre abandon. The Scots and Welsh must have enough stories to fill a book. Ask any Turkish shop owner how they were treated following Istanbul last year. Ask the German tourists or owners of German cars attacked throughout Englandafter the Euro96 defeat in Wembley. Not to mention the fear that stalks every European capital when they are next slated for a visit.

For goodness sake, stop trying to hide behind this "look at them, they're worse that us at it" routine. England have continually gotten away with wrecking event after event for decades now - only for the action, of late, by the UK authorities in preventing thousands of thugs travelling by with-holding their passports has some normality prevailed. Don't dream that it is finished. Spain may well be fined and good enough for that, but don't come the white angel with us that Engand fans are somehow now Europes best behaved fans.
Food for thought.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 01:38 PM

pim,

In a way, I agree with you, and in a way, I don't. The problem is, most Spaniards refuse to accept the fact that racism does exist, and is a problem. Instead of blaming the situation on not being PC by the standards of other nations, the people have to take a stand that this is intolerable.

What bothers me is that the cartoon, and the situation at the game is not a question of being politically correct. It's a question of sensitivity to the rights of others. Nobody has the right to de-humanize another person, and nobody has the right to make insensitive jokes about ethnic features. They fall far outside the realm of PC.

Unless Spaniards realize this problem exists, the problem will continue to grow. But, how do you change the perception that the whole thing is a question of being politically correct when it's something completely different?

Wolf
Posted by: Quintos233

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/19/04 07:02 PM

Although I support deporting immigrants and avoiding the future intake of them into Spain in less the Spanish vote on the issue and decide that they want immigration.

However,

Quote:
What bothers me is that the cartoon, and the situation at the game is not a question of being politically correct. It's a question of sensitivity to the rights of others. Nobody has the right to de-humanize another person, and nobody has the right to make insensitive jokes about ethnic features. They fall far outside the realm of PC.
I completely agree with you it may be my right to want a future for my people but I do not de-humanize or hate anybody I just want my culture and people to continue. Many ethnic hate crimes and cultural racial hate crimes have been done and are currently being done in Spain and elsewhere I consider the massive immigration of people hatred and bigotry towards Spain its a cultural genocide.3-11 was a hate crime on a much larger scale. No Spaniards have in modern times actually gone to another country and dehumanized the inhabitants and slaughtered them like animals in mass numbers like the Arabs Islamist do THEY have a much serious problem. Of course some of you will bring up Cortez the archetype ruthless white conqueror and his evil white army with diseases.

Azmeet writes,
Quote:
While many Spanish people like to think that they are much more cultured than Americans, I can't imagine something like the football incident that happened in Spain happening in America.
America does not have a culture its only a compilation of many diferent cultures. That wouldnt happen in America because it has a reverse exnophobia it is extremely frightened by racism and some of them are very quick to throw the bigot lable at you.

Quote:
This incident and the many racist posts on this board have really has changed my opinion of Spanish people.
What may be seen as a racist post to you may not to other people. To be political correct is to be stupid plain and simple we cant ignore the fact that western values and society are under attack. Also their are many racist in England,America,Canada,British Columbia im talking about real racist not people that just have a far right view on immigration like me.
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/21/04 04:21 AM

Quote:
Quintos: America does not have a culture its only a compilation of many diferent cultures. That wouldnt happen in America because it has a reverse exnophobia it is extremely frightened by racism and some of them are very quick to throw the bigot lable at you.
--------------------------------------------------

Let me see...Celts, VisiGoths, Basques, Romans, Greeks, Carthaginians, Phoenicians, North Africans, Arabs. A compilation of different peoples and cultures. Gee...I wonder from what country? This country also has four distinct languages and various dialects and it's citizens don't all claim or care to be known as part of this country. It's most well known foods and music were introduced from other lands. Am I describing the US? Why it's Spain, of course! If you can say that the US has no true culture but a mixture of cultures, than I can say the same for Spain! In your eyes Quintos, which part is the true Spain; Castilla/Leon? Andalucia (with all that nasty Muslim influence), Aragon? How about Catalonia?(yeah, right).

You're right Quintos, what happened at that game wouldn't have occured here in the US, but you are dead wrong regarding the reason. It wouldn't happen because of political correctness but rather because it would be wrong to do so. Now, if it was 50 years ago, yes I would say it could have occurred openly and nothing much would have been written about how badly the crowd was behaving. Racism was still vary much accepted back then, but after under going thru the turmoil of the Civil Rights movement and the change in attitude towards racism Americans view it as wrong. Now, we still have problems with racism and there will always be. But you are wrong to say that we Americans simply do it because of political correctness. And at least we admit that we have problems with racism. As a people we no longer tolerate or accept it.

This won't help Madrid's chances for winning the Olympic Games especially because it occurred in Madrid rather than say Sevilla or Barcelona. A city needs to put it's best foot foward. Unfortunately those fans used that foot to kick themselves in the *ss!

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/21/04 04:59 AM

Oso,

Then we end up with the debacle in Detroit on Friday night in the NBA, with a player from Indiana going into the stands after someone who threw a beer in his face.

It wasn't racial to be sure, but it sure gave the sport a serious set back, and the players involved in the fight are going to pay a terrible price, while the fans get off without a word.

The NBA has degenerated to the point that it's no longer the game people enjoyed watching. It's like an African-American friend of mine said; "It's now a game of gangsta-rappers with foul mouths, who use every expletive there is during the game, and the league still says it's 'family entertainment.'"

Adding to the problem, I couldn't make the same comment he did, without being tagged a racist.

I think he's right. I miss the games where technical fouls were called for cussing, and where players respected each other, and the fans cheered for their teams, not get involved in scuffles and fights with players from the other teams.

Maybe what we're dealing here is a "new society," that isn't quite as nice as those in the past. I'd hate to think it, but it appears true.

Wolf

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/21/04 11:37 AM

Hey Wolf, I totally agree with you regarding this "new society" attitude. What happened at Detroit was a disgrace and I was thinking about it when I posted my previous message, but as you mentioned it wasn't a racial incident. It's sad that the gangsta mentality has trickled down into our sports, movies, music and way of dress for the young. It sickens me to think that people look up to these types of individuals as some sort of street heroes to be admired. I haven't been to a Lakers games in about 5 years and even longer to a football game. The last time I went the LA Raiders were playing Denver. The crowd was extremely rowdy, it was the first time I had ever felt unsafe at a sports event.

You made a good point in mentioning that there are certain things one group of people can say while others have to been censored. It's unfair and not right. You can't muzzle one group while allowing another to exploit their use of free speech! That's where PC is so bad. I don't like it, it's use has swollen up like a tick to the point that people no longer use common sense.

Racial and ethnic tension is nothing new. You'd think that in our age of "enlightenment" it would have been eliminated. But I still feel that our country with all it's ethnic diversity (and it's richer culturally for it), is much more united than Europe will ever be.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/21/04 01:54 PM

Quote:
Let me see...Celts, VisiGoths, Basques, Romans, Greeks, Carthaginians, Phoenicians, North Africans, Arabs. A compilation of different peoples and cultures. Gee...I wonder from what country? This country also has four distinct languages and various dialects and it's citizens don't all claim or care to be known as part of this country.
All the more reason to not let more people in. Also most of these ethnic elements Visigoths,Celts,Romans and yes Arabs have intermarried to such an extent in Spain that it is hard to devide Spain among those cultural lines. Very few Spanish see themselves as Arabs or Romans while recent Arab immigrants would and be Islamic.

Quote:
It's most well known foods and music were introduced from other lands. Am I describing the US? Why it's Spain, of course! If you can say that the US has no true culture but a mixture of cultures, than I can say the same for Spain! In your eyes Quintos, which part is the true Spain; Castilla/Leon? Andalucia (with all that nasty Muslim influence), Aragon? How about Catalonia?(yeah, right).
I don't think Spain has a very big "mix" 7 out of the 8 ethnic people you mention are all in the over all caucasian European scheme except for perhaps the Arabs and Phoenicians,which those elements have been assimilated into the Spanish people and culture. America has many different people that consider themselves Asian Americans,African Americans, Arab Americans etc. while in Spain the no one considers them selves Celt Spaniard or Arab Spanish because they were assimilated only in Galicia are people fascinated by the Celts even though they didnt just occupie Galicia their lands actually extended well past modern day Madrid.

True Spain officialy is the land is the sovereign land. However I believe the true Spain is Iberia or Hispania the name the Romans gave to Spain after the Romanization of Spain. Before the Romans invaded Spain was occupied by a bunch of Celts and Iberians which were for the most part displaced by the Celts. Some people may see themselves as Catalonian,Basque etc. but over all these are cultural elements that are confined to a certain land not the overall people.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/21/04 03:57 PM

Quintos, you're too obsessed with being caucasian! Really, seriously...not even the Scandinavians concern themselves with it, and they're the ones the Nazis admired as being the pure white race! I really don't care how white or what percentage of caucasian Spaniards are, my point, which you NEVER get is that Spain was never one united ethnic group, or had one united language, you even stated that the Romans named the land and gave them most of their culture. So then, maybe you should thank the Italians for your culture, language and identity.

Yes, in America we are grouped into various ethnic groups. America has always claimed to be a nation of immigrants. And that is what makes our country so great because we've been able to pull together and utilize the best resources that each group brings to this land. Asians helped build the railroads, Blacks had the misfortune of building the South thru their slavery among other great achievments, Hispanics tamed the Southwest, Irish and Italian labor built cities, German and English thru their industry. Even though Native Americans suffered at the hands of European immigrants they fed us and taught us to love this land...etc,etc,etc. We're far from perfect but it works! Im tired of you saying we don't have a true culture...bulls**t! Criticize America all you want when you go back to Spain, but not while you're living here (although you have the privilege to do so)enjoying it's freedom, diversity, and in your opinion quasi culture!!! rolleyes

Madrid better get it's act together and start working on some serious damage control, otherwise it's hasta la vista baby!
Posted by: steven77

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/21/04 05:11 PM

The racist chanting was not by a minority, the so called Ultrasurs who stand behind the goal. It was from every section of the ground. I have lived in Madrid and I can categorically say that a lot of madrilenos are racist,not just against blacks but any race who have different cultures.They wont admit it, and they will always point out something in your own country which is worse (eg hooliganism in football, or foxhunting is the classic defense against bullfighting} For Christs sake they lived under a facist dictator for years who died in his bed unopposed.
Close the Bernabeau down, now thats an interesting topic!

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/21/04 07:23 PM

Asians helped build the railroads, Blacks had the misfortune of building the South thru their slavery among other great achievments, Hispanics tamed the Southwest, Irish and Italian labor built cities, German and English thru their industry. Even though Native Americans suffered at the hands of European immigrants they fed us and taught us to love this land...etc,etc,etc. We're far from perfect but it works! Im tired of you saying we don't have a true culture...bulls**t!

I understand the sensivity surrounding this issue but I never said your country doesn't have a true culture I said it was a composite of many as you perfectly stated your self.

Quintos, you're too obsessed with being caucasian! Really, seriously...not even the Scandinavians concern themselves with it, and they're the ones the Nazis admired as being the pure white race! I really don't care how white or what percentage of caucasian Spaniards are, my point, which you NEVER get is that Spain was never one united ethnic group, or had one united language, you even stated that the Romans named the land and gave them most of their culture. So then, maybe you should thank the Italians for your culture, language and identity.

All of Europe is united under one thing the fact that we are all recieving massive immigration and all European countries are facing drastic problems with their birthrates we may not all have identical cultures or languages but their is always some thing their that binds us.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/21/04 08:02 PM

Steven77: I don't know if you lived in the same Spain as I live, but I've been in a match in Santiago Bernabeu stadium and I didn't hear racist chants.

Racism exists in Spain, and yes, it may be more tolerated than in other countries, but to say that a lot of madrileños are racist... again, I don't know in which Madrid were you living.

I can speak for my friends and family, and I can assure you none of them would yell in a stadium, nor they will discriminate someone for his color skin.

Fernando

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/22/04 01:42 AM

Quintos: I never said your country doesn't have a true culture...

Quintos: America does not have a culture its only a compilation of many diferent cultures.

Culture is the ideas, cutoms, skill, arts of a people or group that are transferred to succeeding generations. It is not political or nationalistic, it is regional. Im Latino, but if I was born and raised in Japan then that would be my culture because I grew up with it. You cannot generalize every person in one country such as Spain or the US for that matter to have the same culture. We both have as individual nations things that unite our own peoples. But it doesn't mean that we all have to be uniform in every part of our country. Case in point...Flamenco dancing is native to Andalucia, not to Catalonia and the Sardana is not danced in Andalucia. The culture in those two provinces are totally different from each other yet it is Spain. What reaction would you get if you went to the Basque regions and started yelling Viva Espana?!!! Face it Quintos, Spain has a mixture of peoples and cultures that do not meld and assimilate into one grand culture you wish it had. So everyone in Spain speaks Spanish, big deal. Everyone in the US speaks English from California to Maine. Every country on Earth has regional cultures that are different from province to province. China has the oldest culture on Earth. Yet China has over a billion people not all ethnic Chinese. Now according to you that nation doesn't have a true culture because there is such a mixture of peoples and languages. With your reasoning on what a true culture entails it would negate virtually all of the world's cultures.

Now, regarding Spain and Europe's immigration problems....boo hoo. They're not the only ones with that problem. Every industrialized country has immigration problems. Even countries that are not considered industrialized have this problem. Third World nations have the burden of refugees fleeing war torn neighboring countries. China has Vietnamese problems, Australia has Indonesians and Southeast Asian immigrants, Mexico has Central Americans entering illegally trying to get to the US. So if Europe is having to bring in immigrants because they are having a low birthrate then maybe it's the fault of European men for not being able to "get the job done". Or maybe it's the women that don't want to put out. Arn't Spanish women known for that?

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/22/04 03:54 AM

Face it Quintos, Spain has a mixture of peoples and cultures that do not meld and assimilate into one grand culture you wish it had. So everyone in Spain speaks Spanish, big deal. Everyone in the US speaks English from California to Maine. Every country on Earth has regional cultures that are different from province to province. China has the oldest culture on Earth. Yet China has over a billion people not all ethnic Chinese. Now according to you that nation doesn't have a true culture because there is such a mixture of peoples and languages.

Spain is over 94% Catholic 6% other probably Islamic and Protestant. 74% speak Spanish as first language Spansish is the official language through out Spain ive been to Galicia and Catalonia and yes they are a diferent but they ultimately fall under the following scheme, Spanish culture is an occidental,Christian and ultimately European culture,to deny this is to deny reality Spains identity is genuinely amassed in this look at the Catholic kings the Visigoths the Spanish empire these achievements most likely would not of have happened if Spain remained under Islamic rule. Spain fought for centuries to fight of this scourge and now what had once had taken centuries to retake is now being overtaken in several years thanks to massive uncontrolled immigration. The main difference between Spanish and American culture is that America is almost entirely composed of recent immigrants be it the past hundred years or the past few years America has been created through a composite of cultures and people although the founding fathers were of British European stock after that Irish,Italians,Eastern Europeans and later Asians,Arabs,blacks as slaves etc. this eventually created the basic bulk of what we consider American today with its Hip hop, rap as well rock punk rock etc. and other genuinely European cultural elements and later non-Euro cultural elements. This doesnt mean America doesnt have a culture it actually has many but many Americans seem to follow the culture that is displayed on TV.Now to get back to the original point of this thread I believe it is because of this that SOME Spanish may be percieved as more "racist" then some Americans and that is why racist activities such as what we unfortunately saw in Madrid might of happened the question is when will Spain fall under the media yoke and fall into the capitalist,globalist yoke and start thinking like drones then perhaps these type of incidents will stop.
Posted by: Renghis

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/22/04 03:20 PM

This is a fascinating subject and I watched the game in England and heard the abuse grow and grow. What I find fascinating is that the level of abuse was pretty much graded by the colour of the player!!! Please bear in mind that I am of Nigerian descent and almost as black as Shaun Wright Phillips. You may have noticed that while Rio Ferdinand played the whole of the game he got not nearly as much abuse as Ashley Cole and poor old SWP copped for the lot! Truly moronic behaviour of a few.

I have been to England matches back in the eighties when Viv Richardson got the same treatment FROM HIS OWN FANS.

Also England had a big incident of Anti Turkish chanting only last year.... Its not a simple subject but I am sure football and footballers would be happier all round without its occurrence..... Kick it out.

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/22/04 05:08 PM

Im am sooooo happy that futbol is not popular here in the US. It's an anathema! Soccor is what 8 year old boys and girls play here in the US. Let me say this, that soccor hooligans would not be able to do the same here as they do in Europe.

BTW...the next train bound for the Middle Ages will be leaving shortly! Quintos, don't miss your train back home! laugh (Im joking...but then again....)
Posted by: Pingüino

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/22/04 08:13 PM

Oso,
While soccer hooligans may not be able to do here what they do in Europe, what about overzealous NBA fans? wink

Cogito cogito ergo sum cogito

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/22/04 11:13 PM

Pinguino Quote: While soccer hooligans may not be able to do here what they do in Europe, what about overzealous NBA fans?
-------------------------------------------------
They got what they deserved. I hope it serves as an example in dealing with future brawls that this type of behavior is not acceptable. Damn that sounds so PC :p . Oh what the hell...BURN THE S.O.B.s AT THE STAKE!!! STONE THEM...STONE THEM!!!!!!

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/23/04 06:07 PM

Oso, what has gotten into you? eek eek The next thing you are going to say is:

Revoke their library privileges!!!

laugh

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 11/24/04 03:34 PM

Revoking their privileges would be too easy. No Doña Libros, we must extend their misery longer so they may learn! Make them pay late fees on all returned books for an entire year!!!! eek eek eek HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Posted by: mr louis

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 12/17/04 03:30 PM

i am very dissappointed with the spanish people. what the fans did was wrong an d totally unacceptable. i meet people who say that what they did is not that bad. it is. spain is definately a racist country. all you have to do is look at the spanish national team to realise that. look at the portuguese team they have 3 black players. france national team is practically black. the police force has black people. so these are things that need to be observed.
Posted by: MATADOR

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 12/18/04 03:21 PM

I have been football matches in sevilla. No problem there. In madrid I went to a game with my friend. She had a spanish friend and when we told him we were going to the match he told me to watchout(I am black). He looked at my ticket to see what section I was sitting in. He said that neo-nazis sit in a section during the game and he wanted to make sure that I was not in that section. For neo-nazis, Real Madrid is the last vestige of franco since he funded it. This is why even some spaniards hate this team, for what it represented in the past. It is my favorite team, but some of the fans have to change.In the USA a white security guard set a whole brand new housing development on fire in maryland . Blacks bought these houses. He burned them down because he didn't like the idea of blacks moving in. When will this stupidity end?

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 12/18/04 03:50 PM

Mr. Louis generalizing is not only incorrect but unfair.

We have assimilated about 3 million inmigrants (up to 10% of our native population) in less than 10 years without many incidents. In UK there have been ethnic minorities for decades, and in the US for centuries.

Spain has racists and non-racists. There are 3,000 proffesional soccer players and less than 10 are black because spanish blacks are less than a 0,5% of the population (the majority of the blacks that live in Spain have come here in the last 10 years and come from Senegal, Marble Coast, Nigeria, Sierra Leona, etc). Therefore, your statements about a "black percentage" in our police or our national team has, as you may see, no sense.

Racist political parties in Spain get less than 30,000 votes (over 25 million). Neo-nazis in Madrid are less than 2,000 (over 4 million). Of course a lot of people may be considered racist or have racist attitudes (like in some soccer matches as we have condemned here) but you can't judge an entire country by the actions of a very small minority.

Fernando

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 12/18/04 07:25 PM

frown

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 12/18/04 08:59 PM

My deepest excuses for my previous message (I've modified it). I should have thought it twice before posting and I have regreted it from the very moment I clicked the "Add Reply" button.

I've been having dinner outside with some friends and I asked them if they thought we spaniards are racist. Everyone (they were of several political tendencies) agreed that the youngest generations are (in general) quite tolerant, while the oldest ones are less.

We were remembering how Madrid was 15 years ago, when there were almost no inmigrants here, and talked how normal it is to see blacks (and other ethnias) in London or Paris. The problem, as I said in my previous post, is that while in London and Paris there have been inmigrants for decades and in New York for centuries, in Spain inmigration is very recent. We must get used to this phenomenum. It will get normal when the sons of those who have just come grew. In the meantime we will have to overcome the difficulties and stressess of our society making a special effort to integrate inmigrants.

Again, please excuse my previous post (those who read it unmodified).

Fernando
Posted by: jose madrid

Re: Spanish football fans racially abusing Black English players - 12/22/04 12:04 PM

mr. louis and others,
I think it is very unfair to categorize a whole country under that label. as fernando says, immigration is a recent phenomenon here. when I was growing up (say 10 yrs ago) it was extremely rare to see e non- white on the streets. I have lived in london for several years and have lost count of the number of so called "paki jokes" I've heard (before I am labelled as a racist, I must say that the term "paki" which is used by some to refer to indians, pakistanis etc IS NOT ONE I HAVE COME UP WITH).
Also, please recall US segregation problems in the 60s, when they had different drinking fountains and bus seats according to race. eek
I don't for one minute think that Americans or English as a whole are racist, but to be fair, please, don't think that about us.
jose