Blondes in Madrid

Posted by: La Sueca

Blondes in Madrid - 09/23/04 01:21 PM

I am planning on moving to Madrid in January- finally! My question is this: I have very blonde hair, and have noticed on various trips to Spain and other countries that it attracts unwanted attention from men. Will I stick out in Madrid, or is the city just so international that no one will notice? Someone please answer before I dye my hair...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/23/04 03:07 PM

Dye your hair.

Although there is people, like me, who do not consider more attractive a girl who is blonde (i like the same brunettes or red-haired), people in Spain tend to look (seems to be) too openly when they see somebody very apart from the usual looks, and that includes you!

Even I, myself look a lot (try to be discrete but I not always am) if I see a person very blonde, very black, very yellow, very tall, very small, or very anything.

Anyway if you are very tall and pretty slender (as many swedish girls are) you will get some looks.

But looks do not harm!

smile wink
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/23/04 03:11 PM

Hehehe... don't bother dying your hair. You'll be in good company. I think that yes, blondes do have more fun.. err.. I mean... they DO get more attention from men but probably less so than when that comment got started, probably 15-20 years ago. MANY MANY Spanish women now dye their hair blonde - and SOME are naturally blonde too!

So don't dye it. Wait 'til you get to Spain and see what kind of reaction you get - if any - from men. If you're attractive AND blonde you'll surely get some attention whether you're United Statesen or Spanish or Swiss or Swedish.

Have fun and hope you have your work/student visa all prepared if you're going to live there!

Saludos, MadridMan smile

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/23/04 05:22 PM

Thanks for the advice! I think I will wait to dye my hair. Blondes DO have more fun, I just don't want to be noticed only for my hair color, you know? I can hear shouts of La Rubia as I walk down the street...
I'm Swedish but living in the US- since I'm a citizen of the EU I don't think I need any special visas.

Madrid Man- you really need to move to Spain! What are you doing in Ohio? Come on! I'm in Illinois. The Midwest is great but it's no Madrid!

I discovered this site today and it's really helpful. I'm already starting to find potential roommates and people to meet. Thank you so much!
Posted by: Quintos233

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/23/04 06:52 PM

Many many Spanish people have blonde hair but most Spaniards from my experience are born with blonde hair that naturaly darkens through puberty.

Don't forget this is a western European country you are talking about here are not going to be fascinated by blonde hair.
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/23/04 07:38 PM

Madridman,

United Statesen????? eek I love it. laugh

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/24/04 01:43 PM

Quintos:

I agree to the darkening of the hair of many (my brother was VERY blonde and now his hair ir dark brown), but there are not SO many blondes, and natural ones are very unusual. Unless you call blonde, as some spaniards do, to clear brown hair.

Yes, most of us are not fascinated by blonde hair anymore. And, unlike some may believe, many of us have very white skin and fair eyes.

LaSueca: I think that nowadays you won't have those shouts unless you go through a group of construction workers or drunken youngsters.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/24/04 05:08 PM

Thanks for your comments. I'm from Europe so I know us fair blondes are not extremely rare. I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is how common we are in Spain and if I'll really stick out. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Still can't decide if I should dye it... wink

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/24/04 05:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. I'm from Europe so I know us fair blondes are not extremely rare. I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is how common we are in Spain and if I'll really stick out. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Still can't decide if I should dye it
Simple being a blonde won't make you stick out what are you dirty blonde? That is common in Spain mabey like Anglo Saxon/Swedish blonde as like yellow like the sun rays then you will stick out I guess. If you simple have light hair I wouldn't worry about it.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/25/04 09:44 AM

La Sueca, I, for one, am not offended. It is just that it itches a little when many times you are identified abroad with the dark skinned black-eyed black-haired 'torero' when u r not, and maybe I (we) are a little sensitive on that. But your question is reasonable. smile

Besides, along with the 4.000.000 spaniards living in Madrid, there are about 1.000.000 latino ans morocchian inmigrnats, and most of these ARE impressed by blondes.

I personally feel that being impressed by blondes is proper of underdeveloped societies. It probably has nothing to do, but that's how I understand it, after, e.g., being told once by a Cuban girl that all her brothers and sisters had "improved" or "gone forward" because they married whiter or blonder couples. She actually said that, because she was pretty extroverted, but it's not difficult to see if you speak with latinos, or africans (at least) that this idea lies in their culture.

I have been about 10 days in Poland and about 15 to 20 people ask me an adress while I was there, guess what, they all thought I was polish, haha. laugh

Here, in Czeck Republic, have only been asked twice in Czeck, but I have only been here for 4 days now, :p

Fair blondes in spain, let's say straw-like colour are very very very unusual, and when you see one spanish, it's thanks to chemical products 99% of the times. wink As for canary bird-like yellow, this is pretty uncommon, although you'll see more (apply here the chemical rule in a 90-95%) Other darker blonde or fair hairs are more and much more common respectively.

As for Quintos, I think he means by "dirty blonde" a darker blonde colour (language imperfections, eh Quintos?)... laugh

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/25/04 06:53 PM

Quote:
As for Quintos, I think he means by "dirty blonde" a darker blonde colour (language imperfections, eh Quintos?)...
No it emplies brown and blonde mixed together many people use that word when refering to that type of hair.

Quote:
Fair blondes in spain, let's say straw-like colour are very very very unusual, and when you see one spanish, it's thanks to chemical products 99% of the times.
Quote:
I have been about 10 days in Poland and about 15 to 20 people ask me an adress while I was there, guess what, they all thought I was polish, haha.

Here, in Czeck Republic, have only been asked twice in Czeck, but I have only been here for 4 days now,
Didn't you just say that blonde people are very very very rare in Spain but then you say that you resemble people from Poland and Cezh republic when you go their. Those are (Nordic) countries I could easily pass for any European nationality but probably on the "darker" side of the specturm.
Posted by: Bricamb

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/26/04 05:31 AM

When I first went to Spain as a student, I travelled with two blonde haired English girls and they didn't report any major disadvantage or have any extra hassles because of their hair colour. OK, perhaps they got more interest from Spanish men and certainly plenty of compliments but for them it wasn't an issue and one girl in particular was certainly well able to offer a few choice insults in Spanish if anyone got too heavy. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to dye their blond hair brown or black just because they were visiting Spain:)
Posted by: SimonC

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/26/04 07:18 AM

Hey... I am living in Madrid as we speak and there are not that many blondes here. I personally think you should keep your hair blonde.. it's actually quite refreshing to see it here.

Sim
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/26/04 09:46 AM

Ignacio (in pertinent part) writes:
Quote:
... along with the 4.000.000 spaniards living in Madrid, there are about 1.000.000 latino ans morocchian inmigrnats, and most of these ARE impressed by blondes.
I can attest to that! Years ago, I was visiting Spain with my wife and (then) 13-year-old blonde daughter. Moroccan Arabs stared at our daughter shamelessly to the point that I felt like doing violence to them.

Quote:
... Fair blondes in spain, let's say straw-like colour are very very very unusual, and when you see one spanish, it's thanks to chemical products 99% of the times. ...
You can usually tell by their eye-color. If you see blue or green-eyed blondes in Spain, it is unlikely that they are Spanish. But, in the Plaza de Oriente, across from the Palacio Réal you will find statues of Visigoth Kings of Spain, several of whom were blondes.

When I am sitting at a Terraza it pleases me very much to see a good looking Svenska flicka stroll by. This is something I share with many Spanish businessmen. As a matter of fact, staying the way you are might help you in Business there in Madrid.

Rubia: Por favor, no te cambias de color tu pelo; necesitamos más como tu!

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/26/04 01:41 PM

Quote:
Didn't you just say that blonde people are very very very rare in Spain but then you say that you resemble people from Poland and Cezh republic when you go their. Those are (Nordic) countries I could easily pass for any European nationality but probably on the "darker" side of the specturm.
In spite of what many people thinks, both in the south of Poland (I finally didn't make it to Gdansk) and Prague, most people have darker hair. The percentage of blondes or very blondes is significatively higher than the spanish, but still small, maybe 20/30/40 %, as far as I saw.

Also, although maybe the majority have blue eyes, it's very frequent brown colour.

Skin is usually very white.

That made me a pretty common polish-looking man. The same in Prague.

By the way, I wouldn't call Poland a Nordic country. No more than Germany or Holland. As far as I know, Nordic are usually called Scandinavians and the same temp area.

When I was to London, somebody who I met and chatted with, in a restaurant called "Chelsea kitchen" (that I recommend) was surprised to know that I am spanish, just because he thought of the said torero image. I asked him where he thought I was from and she said central european, which is what Chekia is, and Southern Poland.

Quote:
You can usually tell by their eye-color. If you see blue or green-eyed blondes in Spain, it is unlikely that they are Spanish. But, in the Plaza de Oriente, across from the Palacio Réal you will find statues of Visigoth Kings of Spain, several of whom were blondes
Well, it doesn't exactly work like that. One of my two brothers, just as my father and grandfather has blue eyes, the other used to be blonde (brown eyes).

My (mother side) cousin José Luis is red-haired, full of freckles, thin and tall (a perfect Irishmen, no?), his father, uncle Ricardo, and other uncle, Fabián, both have blue eyes, the first is blonde, the second isn't.

In fact, it´s much more easy to (genetically) keep blue eyes than blonde hair, and there are also blondes with green and exceptionally, clear brown eyes.

Hey, I´d better look carefully my ancestors history because I could have royal blood on both sides of my family... laugh wink

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/26/04 03:34 PM

Quote:
You can usually tell by their eye-color. If you see blue or green-eyed blondes in Spain, it is unlikely that they are Spanish.
You are wrong.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/26/04 05:39 PM

Most of the white people of Spain are concentrated in the North.
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/26/04 07:46 PM

Viva le diferance! Frankly I prefer chestnut or auburn hair with deep green eyes. My wife however has dark auburn hair with slate blue eyes. I still love you babe! laugh wink
Posted by: pim

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 06:32 AM

Good choice of colour OsoMayor, he, he! cool

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 06:34 AM

I simply don't get the premises of this thread...
Would someone REALLY consider changing a part of him/herself, appearance-wise or personality-wise, when there's nothing wrong with it, just to accommodate his/her view of how other people perceive him/her? I don't understand....

OK, you might get a few more stares or 'piropos', specially from the Moroccans and Latinamericans (that's so true!*) than a brunette, but I don't think at the end of the day that makes a significant...ANYTHING, in one's life, you're not going to be attacked, harrassed, etc...just for being a 'rubia', so, take it easy and if you're happy with your colouring, girl, by all means don't change it! rolleyes

*Luckily, these tend to be admiring stares and respectful compliments, unlike the ones one sometimes gets from certain Spaniards.... :o

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 06:58 AM

Quintos233 writes:
Quote:
Most of the white people of Spain are concentrated in the North.
What authoritative source can you cite for that statement? The indigenous population of Spain is European (i.e., racially Caucasian). Spain was occupied by Arabs more than 700-years (i.e., until 1492 when the Reconquista was considered to be complete) so there was some comingling of the races; this was common among European Countries with the Celts, Huns, Visigoths and Ostragoths arriving and being absorbed in the population. It even happened before and during the Arab Occupation.

Effectively, the Arabs occupied all of Spain except for the mountains of northern Asturias (from whence the Reconquista began), parts of Galicia and the Pyrenees.

I take exception to this statement and to your earlier: "You are wrong" contestation to my post concerning blue or green-eyed blondes. Don't just say: 'you are wrong!' Quote some authority (Chapter & Verse) to support your conclusions!

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 08:15 AM

I agree about the harshness of the post you mention, Eddie, but must comment that the area between (more or less) León-Palencia-Burgos-Zaragoza-Barcelona and north of this was reconquered most of the times within 50 or 100 years, in some cases, like Galicia, in like 10 or 15 or less, so in this areas I believe too we have lighter skin.

And thee area between these and Madrid was no-man's -land, very slightly populated (because of this) for any of both bands until Repoblación (repopulation) took place.

However, as new lands were freed, more population had to be sent south, and we accepted and asked for colons from Europe, and you find sometimes villages and counties with northern countries' aspect. And if you go to some southern cities, you'll find a lot of darker colour people (I mean eyes and hair, besides of the obvious sun-tanning), and suddenly a blonde or very blonde blue-eyed that could have been a german or swedish tourist.

Just this week I found a girl from Seville in Prague that you couldn't tell from the swedish typical look, and a guy in the very plane who was about the same, from Murcia.

Quote:
OK, you might get a few more stares or 'piropos' from the Moroccoans and Latinamericans (that's so true!*) than a brunette, but I don't think at the end of the day that makes a significant...ANYTHING,

*Luckily, these tend to be admiring stares and respectful compliments, unlike the ones one sometimes gets from certain Spaniards
´
About the respectful morocchians and latinos, and the obscene spaniards, I'll only say one thing:

Hahahhahahahahaha. Which world you live in? Certainly not the one I know. laugh

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 08:40 AM

Aaaahh Ignacio, you make this too easy....When was the last time you got first hand experience getting a 'piropo' from a man in the street, him beeing; Spanish, Australian, Ecuadorian, Nigerian,...........you name it?
:p

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 09:35 AM

So, the only way to gain experience is "suffering" a piropo, ins't it? If it was so, we could hardly speak on anything, could we? Like you can't speak about wether buying a flat is expensive if you don't buy one (but you see the prices and visit the flats) or wether laws on drinking and driving are fair (unless you have been fined) and so on.

It's not valid to hear piropos to other people?

And there IS a difference between saying something like: "Dios hizo a las mujeres guapas,pero contigo empleó más tiempo." and something like "No soy pirata ni por el oro ni por la plata, sino por el tesoro que tienes entre las patas..." I would consider the first one a "piropo", and the second one a "grosería" like the ones LaSueca dislikes so much.

By the way, are you sure you had them, anyway? :p

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 03:54 PM

Ok...La Sueca if you don't want any unwanted attention from men simply wear a pair of sweats, beenie, old tennis shoes and don't bathe for a week. I guarantee you no man will give you a second look! laugh

Seriously though you may want to think of how dark skinned people may appear in Sweden. Do the people there stare at them? Do they say anything rude or make them feel uncomfortable? Im sure you'll get unwanted comments anywhere you go simply because you're a blond woman, especially if you're attractive. However if you're blond and homely you won't have to worry about it!

My wife has a close friend that is Cuban (she is black), and she married a guy from Iceland, very white, very blond. They moved to Reykjavik. She would write my wife telling her that she was the only black person where they lived. Everyone stared at her but they weren't rude. It was more curiousity than anything. Anyway she got used to it, learned the language and is very happy there.

Go to Spain with a positive attitude, enjoy the attention while you still can get it and everything will be just fine. wink

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 05:14 PM

Quote:
What authoritative source can you cite for that statement? The indigenous population of Spain is European (i.e., racially Caucasian). Spain was occupied by Arabs more than 700-years (i.e., until 1492 when the Reconquista was considered to be complete) so there was some comingling of the races; this was common among European Countries with the Celts, Huns, Visigoths and Ostragoths arriving and being absorbed in the population. It even happened before and during the Arab Occupation.
I never said that Spaniards weren't caucasian I consider them caucasian but Northern Spain was the least occupied Moors there fore it might just be that they have the least amount of minor Arab influence whites can be found every where in Spain. But this doesn't mean that every one in Spain is pure for example in the US many whites have Indian ancestry and whites in Northern Eruope have Mongol blood but I still consider them white.

Quote:

I take exception to this statement and to your earlier: "You are wrong" contestation to my post concerning blue or green-eyed blondes. Don't just say: 'you are wrong!' Quote some authority (Chapter & Verse) to support your conclusions!
Id be surprised if you ever been Spain making a statement like that.. Actually go to Spain or return their to refresh and look at the native Spanish some are dark some are not. Im not going to search google for evidence for statement. If you want to find out how Spanish people look like then go to Spain and find out.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 08:42 PM

Quintos233 writes:
Quote:
Id be surprised if you ever been Spain making a statement like that.. Actually go to Spain or return their to refresh and look at the native Spanish some are dark some are not. ... If you want to find out how Spanish people look like then go to Spain and find out.
I lived and worked in Spain long before you were born (1960-62). I returned to Spain in '64 and for the Christmas holidays in 1965-66, then again in '68, '71 and '74.

During that latter visit we were also in Lisboa for the 'Carnation Rebellion' when Portuguese Soldiers supported Salazar's overthrow by putting Claveles in their rifle barrels. I returned to Spain about every other year in the late '70's, '80's and '90's including a visit with my son to Expo'92 in Sevilla and the '92 Barcelona Olympics when we stayed with my wife's first cousin at Avda. Pi y Maragal, 65, near Gaudi's Sagrada Familia. I visited Santiago de Compostela during Año Júbilar Xacobeo 1999 and Año Júbilar Xacobeo 2004 in June of this year.

I have been to Covadonga in Asturias and to the Monasterio de Santo Toribio in the Picos de Europa where the largest known fragment of the Cross on which Christ was Crucified, the Vera Cruz is guarded. That Vera Cruz never was allowed to fall into the hands of the Moorish Invaders.

I know what Spanish people look like from CoruNa to Malaga and from Barcelona to Huelva. Do you still believe I have never been to Spain?? I have spent more time in Spain than you have spent in High School!

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 10:37 PM

Ouch!!!!!!!! Someone got spanked! laugh

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/27/04 10:40 PM

Eddie writes,
Quote:
I lived and worked in Spain long before you were born (1960-62). I returned to Spain in '64 and for the Christmas holidays in 1965-66, then again in '68, '71 and '74.

During that latter visit we were also in Lisboa for the 'Carnation Rebellion' when Portuguese Soldiers supported Salazar's overthrow by putting Claveles in their rifle barrels. I returned to Spain about every other year in the late '70's, '80's and '90's including a visit with my son to Expo'92 in Sevilla and the '92 Barcelona Olympics when we stayed with my wife's first cousin at Avda. Pi y Maragal, 65, near Gaudi's Sagrada Familia. I visited Santiago de Compostela during Año Júbilar Xacobeo 1999 and Año Júbilar Xacobeo 2004 in June of this year.

I have been to Covadonga in Asturias and to the Monasterio de Santo Toribio in the Picos de Europa where the largest known fragment of the Cross on which Christ was Crucified, the Vera Cruz is guarded. That Vera Cruz never was allowed to fall into the hands of the Moorish Invaders.

I know what Spanish people look like from CoruNa to Malaga and from Barcelona to Huelva. Do you still believe I have never been to Spain?? I have spent more time in Spain than you have spent in High School!
Quite an impresive arsenal of visitations. I have lived in Spain for 6 years and have visited since every 3-2 years...

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 02:05 AM

Quote:
I have lived in Spain for 6 years and have visited since every 3-2 years...
Only!!!

Given the depth and radicality of your national/racial positions I wouldn't ever have guessed.

To come back on topic: I don't think LaSueca will get this kind of attention but for scarce ocasions, but if she really dislikes it, it's not a bad idea to dye. Although she can do it in Spain, after seeing the behaviour, either at home or at a hairdresser.

cool

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 02:24 AM

Quote:
Given the depth and radicality of your national/racial positions I wouldn't ever have guessed.
I don't have a "radical" position im not a racist how ever I want to see a good future for the culture and country of Spain and rap,hip hop,Mc Donalds, Mickey mouse and millions of immagrants doesn't cut it.

I mabey American for every sense of the word now... It doesnt mean I want see a Europe as a clone of the US with no culture and no identity.
Also I refuse to be stamped with racist nazi label I am completely seperate of that movement and do not agree with their what is TRULLY radical views mine appear at least to me to be common sense.

Quote:
To come back on topic: I don't think LaSueca will get this kind of attention but for scarce ocasions, but if she really dislikes it, it's not a bad idea to dye. Although she can do it in Spain, after seeing the behaviour, either at home or at a hairdresser.
What a trully insignificant problem this trully is. Their are blondes in Spain but they are definetly lower in numbers then dark hair most Spanish people are dark haired. If she is so worried about standing out then why does she just dye her hair a darker color if she thinks that will help her match the population of Spain.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 05:50 AM

I really don't think she'll have a problem, and I wouldn't dye my hair!

Now...Quintos...you must enjoy the taste of your foot because you've gone and done it again! Im not going to comment on the racist issue, but I am going to comment on your flippant,thoughtless remark that the US has no culture or identity. First...how can you say you're American in every sense? If the US has no culture or identity then you can't be Americanized because you don't acknowledge or embrace it!

Here's a small sample of people and things American that are part of our culture...

Music:

Blues, Jazz, Gospel, Country, Bluegrass, Folk, R&B, Rock (in all its forms),Tejano, Cajun/Zydeco, Swing.

Composers:

Aaron Copeland, Cole Porter, Leonard Bernstein, George Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Scott Joplin, Stephen Sondheim, Richard Rodgers, John Philip Sousa.

Musicians & Singers:

Van Clyburn, John Williams, Wynton Marsalis, Jessye Norman, Leontyne Price, Samuel Ramey, Shirille Millnes, Robert Merrill, Beverly Sills, Marily Horn.

Artists:

Andrew Wyeth, Andy Warhol, Norman Rockwell, Georgia O'Keeffe, Luis Jimenez, Grandma Moses.

Authors:

Herman Melville, O'Henry, Mark Twain, Washington Irving, Edgar Allan Poe, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemmingway, Emily Dickenson, Maya Angelou.

These are just a few Americans that have contributed to our culture and identity of who we are as a nation.

It's true what you said, hair color seems so insignificant...as well as how white one is!
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 09:34 AM

Oso, did you forget an important cultural category

Librarians
Archibald McLeish, Booklady! laugh laugh

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 10:10 AM

Quintos233 writes:
Quote:
... I have lived in Spain for 6 years and have visited since every 3-2 years...
So now you're 18-years of age, right? I don't think it really counts that you spent 6-years of your childhood in Spain (i.e., probably living in an American enclave, isolated from the indigenous population except for the servants your parents employed, and protected by your parents). That ain't the same as living in Spain!. rolleyes
BTW
I lived in a piso at C./Ramon de la Cruz, 75, in Madrid's Barrio de Salamanca.

OsoMajor writes:
Quote:
Music: Blues, Jazz, Gospel, Country, Bluegrass, Folk, R&B, Rock (in all its forms),Tejano, Cajun/Zydeco, Swing.
Some of those have roots other than in the U.S: Bluegrass (Scotland & Ireland); Tejano (Mexico); and Cajun combines some of the Bluegrass with the Rhythms of the Caribe. There's nothing quite like hearing a Cajun 'fiddler' (a la Doug Kershaw) playing a Cajun two-step (fa di do).
Quote:
Musicians & Singers: Van Clyburn, John Williams, Wynton Marsalis, Jessye Norman, Leontyne Price, Samuel Ramey, Shirille Millnes, Robert Merrill, Beverly Sills, Marily Horn.
I can't understand why you didn't include Wynton Marsalis' brother Bradford, or their father / mentor in N'Orleans.
Posted by: mecky

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 11:07 AM

This sure looks like a BLOND Joke to me! wink

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 02:09 PM

To Booklady: Oh my...how could I forget our beloved librarian. I couldn't imagine what this message board would be without you Dona Libros! laugh ...but!!!! you were born in Cuba...ohhh so sorry you no qualify! wink

To Eddie: I couldn't think of Brandon's name at the time. Music isn't pinned down to one single location or area. It evolves and though certain types of music have roots in some countries the resulting form is clearly distinctive and original. A perfect example of that is Latin music. It has roots in the indeginous cultures of America, African slave rhythms and the music and instruments brought from Spain and other European nations. They all combined to produce one of the greatest music forms of the world. smile

To keep on topic...Charo is blond!!! laugh laugh laugh I know...I know...I luuuuuuuv Charo!!! Cuchi...Cuchi!!!

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 06:11 PM

Quote:
So now you're 18-years of age, right? I don't think it really counts that you spent 6-years of your childhood in Spain (i.e., probably living in an American enclave, isolated from the indigenous population except for the servants your parents employed, and protected by your parents). That ain't the same as living in Spain!.
BTW
I lived in a piso at C./Ramon de la Cruz, 75, in Madrid's Barrio de Salamanca.
I hear yea Eddie but I did not live in an American enclave I lived in Madrid I wen't to school with all the Spanish children we lived in a piso my dad is American my mom is Spanish. Half my family lives in Spain and they are Spanish I interacted with Spanish people all the time I went to the bars and every thing I was not "protected" from the indigenous population hell I basically was the indigenous population other then the fact that my dad was white American. Why would I be so strongly supportive of Spain if I was born in a American enclave. Mabey if I was born too British parents and born in Gibraltar your reply would make alot more sense infor your self better next time and Eddie I don't want to slag you just to make things clear.

Quote:
Now...Quintos...you must enjoy the taste of your foot because you've gone and done it again! Im not going to comment on the racist issue, but I am going to comment on your flippant,thoughtless remark that the US has no culture or identity. First...how can you say you're American in every sense? If the US has no culture or identity then you can't be Americanized because you don't acknowledge or embrace it!
America does have a culture and identity but what it means to be American does not equal what it means to be Spanish. I didn't mean to downplay Americas cultural achievements in the past. Al though I did. I can see the cultural foundations of AmericaI can see it every where (Disney Land Rap Hip Hop Coca Cola Mickey Mouse McDonalds Pizza Hut etc etc all these things are all over the world.) I like America and its culture and life style to a certain extent and it doesn't bother me at ALL when presented in the US but it is pretty much every where.
Posted by: Emilio J

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 08:32 PM

Quote:
Many many Spanish people have blonde hair but most Spaniards from my experience are born with blonde hair that naturaly darkens through puberty.
Yes, I my childhood's blonde hair got dark brown by the years, and I notice that in many children. My father was a child with almost white hair, and in his adult years his hair was deep black. What could be the reason of that?

Quote:
You can usually tell by their eye-color. If you see blue or green-eyed blondes in Spain, it is unlikely that they are Spanish.
mmmm.. not so true. There aren't many, but there are, spanish blue eyed blondes. Blonde hair is not common, but blue eyes are. As there aren't many, but there are, black spaniards with parents of african origin, that were born in Spain and I consider them spaniards, as I guess you do too. And, today, there are being born many new spaniards from chinese, polish, arab, african, american indian parents. Maybe there don't fit YOUR idea of a spaniard, but they are, no matter if blonde, black or whatever.

"Hablando con propiedad", there is a trace of nordic blood in many "old" spaniards, that shows specially during the early childhood.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/28/04 09:37 PM

Quote:
And, today, there are being born many new spaniards from chinese, polish, arab, african, american indian parents. Maybe there don't fit YOUR idea of a spaniard, but they are, no matter if blonde, black or whatever.
I disagree with you I believe 0% immagration and deportation of current immagrants is the key to keeping Europe running. I understand that the US is melting pot but until I see the European people vote for immagration and approve of it I will not agree with it.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/29/04 01:43 AM

Quintos quote:

"I can see the cultural foundations of AmericaI can see it every where (Disney Land Rap Hip Hop Coca Cola Mickey Mouse McDonalds Pizza Hut etc etc all these things are all over the world.) I like America and its culture and life style to a certain extent and it doesn't bother me at ALL when presented in the US but it is pretty much every where."

If American influence is everywhere it's because there is an appeal for it. If the country didn't want American influence or business it wouldn't welcome it into their land.

[(Disney Land Rap Hip Hop Coca Cola Mickey Mouse McDonalds Pizza Hut etc etc all these things are all over the world.)] Except for Rap and Hip Hop these other things you list is not culture or cultural! They are businesses. They have become icons of American industry. I guess I could say that I like Spanish culture like Chupa Chups, VIPS, El Corte Ingles, gypsies and castanets!

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/29/04 07:24 PM

Quote:
I guess I could say that I like Spanish culture like Chupa Chups, VIPS, El Corte Ingles, gypsies and castanets!
Fair enough but these cultural elements do not exist to any reasonable extent in the US exception chupa chus. How can Gypsies which is an ethnic group that originated in India and exists all over Europe be Spanish culture? Did you mean to say that Gypsie culture is Spanish culture? That would make more sense to me.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/30/04 03:25 AM

The origin of gypsies is still uncertain. They seem to have been traced back to Egypt (hence their name "gypsy", short for "egyptian"), but I had never heard before the Indian theory.

Gypsy has never been the same as spanish culture, but spanish culture include a lot of the gypsy, mainly the southern one, where they have mostly integrated in the community to a level when you cannot tell wether flamenco and the rest of the southern music, for example, are just andalusian or gypsy.

The high number of gypsies in our country (time ago they were estimated in 500.000), and their major concentration in the south have made some mixed cultures that have became part of the spanish culture, even with slang, like "chungo", "peluco", "pasma", "payo", etc..

I guess other countries with less gypsy population didn't have this, and others have had a much higher influence like Romania.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/30/04 11:29 AM

MadridMan: A thousand pardons. I'm sorry to have participated in a discussion that strayed so far from la Sueca's initial query. eek I also feel that I owe apologies to la Sueca, to OsoMajor and to Ignacio. I'll try not to get embroiled in such a discussion in the future. rolleyes

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/30/04 06:17 PM

Quote:
MadridMan: A thousand pardons. I'm sorry to have participated in a discussion that strayed so far from la Sueca's initial query. [Eek!] I also feel that I owe apologies to la Sueca, to OsoMajor and to Ignacio. I'll try not to get embroiled in such a discussion in the future. [Roll Eyes]
This thread wouldn't of lasted more then a day if we did not start talking about real issues rather then arguin wether not blonde hair is appropiate for Spain we have al ready answered her query we can talk about real cultural and world issues now.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 09/30/04 07:13 PM

Eddie:

I, for one, don't feel you need to apoogize to me. smile I enjoyed the exchange of opinions.

As for me, I can't see the reason for feeling disturbed (with me), assuming you are, judging by your (sarcastic?) comment.

cool

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/01/04 01:54 PM

No need to apologize, but thanks for the thought! I, like Ignacio, have also enjoyed reading the exchange of opinions.

FYI- Not that it’s a “real” issue, but I tried putting some red highlights in my hair which has left it slightly pink. It actually looks kind of cool…haha.

Thanks for all your responses and viewpoints!
:p

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/02/04 01:42 AM

Quintos quote: Fair enough but these cultural elements do not exist to any reasonable extent in the US exception chupa chus. How can Gypsies which is an ethnic group that originated in India and exists all over Europe be Spanish culture? Did you mean to say that Gypsie culture is Spanish culture? That would make more sense to me.

Ignacio quote:
Gypsy has never been the same as spanish culture, but spanish culture include a lot of the gypsy, mainly the southern one, where they have mostly integrated in the community to a level when you cannot tell wether flamenco and the rest of the southern music, for example, are just andalusian or gypsy.

You both missed the point I was trying to make. My mention of gypsies was to get Quintos to take the bait....and of course...he did! My list of so-called Spanish cultural examples was as absurd as Quintos' cultural examples of America. rolleyes

Eddie no need to apologize. I got a kick out of your responses. Im done with this thread.
Posted by: pippo

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/02/04 10:03 AM

Numbers:

Spaniards by his natural hair colour:

Blondes: 4´9%
Brown (all tones): 37´1%
Black: 57´5%
Red: 0.05%

Well, you can see: 1 / 20 is blonde and 6 /10 black haired.

Source: "Muy interesante".

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/02/04 10:12 AM

It doesn't seem to be a serious publication to me.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/02/04 11:02 AM

Well, other source, numbers from "El Mundo":

"3 | El rubio en cifras. Si sólo el 7% de los españoles es rubio natural (el 57% es castaño, el 26% moreno, el 3% pelirrojo y el 10% restante moreno y castaño claros), ¿cómo es posible, pues, ver tanto dorado por nuestras ciudades? Es fácil, el estudio Pantene revela que dos de cada tres españolas (un 85%) se tiñe habitualmente; y una de cada tres lo hace de rubio. España es el país europeo en el que las mujeres se cambian más de color, la mayoría entre los 25 y los 54 años y va in crescendo. Según L’Oréal Professionnel, una de las marcas de tintes más importantes, en los últimos 10 años se ha duplicado el porcentaje de mujeres que dan color a sus cabellos. Después de nosotras, son las italianas las que más se tiñen (65%). Si cruzamos el charco nos encontramos un panorama parecido: el 62% de las argentinas tira del rubio de bote y una de cada tres estadounidenses luce una cabellera dorada, aunque los ricitos de oro son naturales sólo en el 20% de su población"

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/02/04 05:18 PM

That looks much more like what we have here.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/04/04 01:10 AM

We can argue and argue over this but the bottom line is. That America is America Spain is Spain I do not want to want either one to be exactly like the other.

http://www.luarnalubre.com/

After browsing through this web page it is pretty evident that in Spain dark hair is more common then light hair even the people from north of Spain have a tendency towards dark hair but this is not always case. Any ways the Spanish core is clearly caucasian.
At least for now... that will probably obviously change and the reason is partly due to American life style and cultural influences in Spain. This is not a bad or good thing but people sould have a say if this is what they want. Does any body trully disagree with this??

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/04/04 01:27 AM

I agree to your conclusions, not to your racial worries, more worried about the cultural mix that might create forein "ghettos" in our cities or an hybryd culture like what catalonians suffered with andalusian inmigration. Now they are a mixed culture and catalonians are almost minoritaries there (or the sad Marseilles situation).

But we are separating from the original point. Aren't we?

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/04/04 03:03 AM

Quote:
I agree to your conclusions, not to your racial worries, more worried about the cultural mix that might create forein "ghettos" in our cities or an hybryd culture like what catalonians suffered with andalusian inmigration.
Just to make things perfectly clear Ignacio I do not judge people due to natural things such as race, culture, greed national origin etc. I do not have "racial worries" for I did state in my earlier post that this is neither a GOOD or BAD thing but that the people of Spain sould vote on this issue.

Quote:
But we are separating from the original point. Aren't we?
I dont think so the web site illustrates the "darker" looks the Spanish have. She did ask if she would stand out as a blonde didnt she. Well mabey she would a little wouldnt she you have to remember how ever that the Spanish imported barbarians from northern Europe so some Spanish can be blonde.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/04/04 04:10 AM

OK
Posted by: Cristobo Carrín

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/20/04 04:27 AM

For those interested in physical anthropology, (in an amateurish way), here you are a picture from seven Asturians (Northern coast of the Peninsula)
http://www.felpeyu.com/-imagenescomun/-semeyes/estudio01.jpg
The seven of them are quite "average Joes" in some way or other, although it is not too difficult to find people with lighter hair in Asturias
Posted by: Puna

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/20/04 08:15 AM

Cristobo Carrín - which one are you? laugh

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/20/04 10:55 AM

laugh Right on, Puna!

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/20/04 12:28 PM

The handsome one, of course wink

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/20/04 01:30 PM

Is there a handsome one? I have to take a look again. laugh

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/20/04 01:57 PM

Actually, I think they are all pretty good looking fellows, and it is not because I am half
Asturian, but I believe that Astuarian men happen to be on the whole, better looking. laugh

Thanks Cristobo to the link, I have not heard their music, now I will have to look them up.

Carmen

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/21/04 02:06 AM

Ignacio quote: "Is there a handsome one? I have to take a look again."

I was thinking the same thing! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Although I must say that my aunt is from Asturias and she is rather pretty! wink

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/21/04 03:17 AM

Well, this is a touchy question, but let me tell you one thing, Ignacio...
You Euskaldunak may boast many things, but really you are not the most beautiful people in the world!! Look at Javier Gurruchaga! wink

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/21/04 07:07 AM

Sadly true. laugh

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/23/04 01:59 AM

Those are some nice looking chaps. Any way I would like to state that their are no pure blooded Basques nearly all of them have attained indo-European admixture and the Basques are left overs from old europeans they were darker then the indo-Europeans so now Ignacio you know why some of your family has blue eyes and frecklish skin its because they have attained blood from North India the indo-Europeans that why Basque isnt a indo-European language because the original Basques were an ancient old Europeans and have retained for the most part some of their heritage and of course their none indo-European langauge. wink

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/23/04 05:36 AM

I couldnt follow the links.

However, the basques were originally seven tribes, linked more by cultural ties than by blood's. There were the vascones, the autrigones, the eúscaros, and others.

It's not surprising, so, that, although the vizcaya basques we have darker hair, the ones I saw from guipuzcoa have lighter or blonde in a higher proportion, but I don't know so many of the latter.

Anyway, tere have been plent of migrations, like half of the city of Pamplona-Iruña was french population that came through the Camino de Santiago, hence the name "Barrio Francés". Anyway, I think they called French any foreigner who entered the area from France, so it could be any other european origin.

They crossed and settled in Guipúzcoa too, merging with locals and adopting the language. That's why you find surmames with latin (or other) roots, and basque suffixes.

As for Vizcaya, it's difficult to say because we have a 50% inmigration from Castilla, Galicia and Andalucía in this order, so it's difficult to say if we were originally dark haired or not.

The basques origin is not yet identified. So, saying they were indoeuropeans or not, is just speculate. And I don't believe we're darker re skin, never notice any difference with other norhern.

Anyway, about my family, I am not a pure blood, haha. I have also the northern castilian celtic-iberian mix you probably have. smile

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/23/04 04:17 PM

Quote:

The basques origin is not yet identified. So, saying they were indoeuropeans or not, is just speculate. And I don't believe we're darker re skin, never notice any difference with other norhern.
I believe that the original inhabitants of the med. regions Italy,North Africa,Spain etc. as well as Europe used to be inhabitated by old Europeans that eventually mixed with the indo Europeans that originated from the caucasus mountains/India. It also should be said that Francem,Spain,Italy,and other certain regions of Europe had a more heavy population of old Europeans then other regions such as Sweden. wink That could (mabey) explain why the Basques have been tied to their home land for such a long time and their language hasnt been linked to any other and doesnt appear to have an indo-European core.

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/24/04 03:37 PM

Quintos quote: "Those are some nice looking chaps."

Ok...Im not the most handsome guy around but Quintos...those guys are definately NOT some nice looking chaps!

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/24/04 07:00 PM

Well the guy in the very back is questionable the rest dont appear to have any serious abnormalities.
Posted by: mencey

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 10/25/04 03:05 PM

I'm going to have to agree with Oso Major on this one. I mean, if we're gonna put these fellas up on the block,lets be honest. I'm a married man, and am no expert in judging other men (that was my disclaimer) but if these guys went to a singles bar, it would be a long night.
Posted by: meencantaespana

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 01/16/05 12:32 AM

I was in Spain in the summer and I have blonde hair, blue eyes and freckles and even old guys would just stare and say "rubia rubia" which means blonde and they would make kissing sounds. I was in a park and 30 year old guys wouldnt leave me alone. I had to get others to take me to my hotel because of the shovenistic men. I am 16 and it was very scary. At first it was funny but then it was weird. I got back to the USA and it felt weird. I am going back and now I have brown here. You will get many stares. Dont get me wrong . I love Madrid and its amazing but just maybe dye your hair!
Posted by: salamanca02

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 01/16/05 02:22 PM

Honestly, I dont really think it matters what color hair you have. I have brown hair, and the same things happened. Its just something you have to accept, and ENJOY your time in Espana.... they usually mean no harm anyways

Re: Blondes in Madrid - 01/19/05 06:44 PM

If somebody want to know more about the race of spaniards I copy and paste this message and a wonderfull link, I'm sorry but it's in spanish:

Creo que ya he aclarado bastante bien que color de pelo, color de ojos, etc. definen bastante poco la raza.
Rasgos físicos y lengua no tendrán mucho que ver en este actual mundo globalizador, pero creo que he demostrado suficientemente ya que sí tenían que ver cada vez más cuanto más hacia atrás viajemos en el tiempo.

¿Qué tiene que ver un hindú con un lituano? Primero habría qué aclarar qué entiendes por “hindú”. En cualquier caso, las castas altas de la India continúan bastante poco mezcladas con las castas bajas. Pero las castas altas de la India están bastante emparentadas con los lituanos. Lo que las diferencia es la escasa sangre mongoloide recibida por los lituanos, y la escasa sangre grávida recibida por las castas altas de la India. Pero, ¿quién impuso, por ejemplo, el védico en la India al resto de la población? Está claro, invasores indoeuropeos, antecesores e las actuales castas altas.

¿Qué tiene que ver un armenio con un irlandés? La parte de sangre indoeuropea común. Lo que las aparta es el elemento semítico recibido por los armenios.

¿Qué tiene que ver un gitano con un oseta? También la parte de sangre indoeuropea. El problema es que el gitano está bastante diferenciado por la presencia en él de sangre grávida y la presencia en el oseta de cierta cantidad de sangre mongoloide.

Las lenguas, como una vez más demuestro, en origen van unidas a los genes. Las lenguas no se imponen porque unos cuantos grupos de mercaderes vendan unas cuantas vasijas y se marchen, sino por la imposición, con la llegada de un pueblo que se impone.
Por eso en España se impuso el latín, traído por latinos. Por eso se impuso el germano en Inglaterra, llevado por anglos y sajones. Por eso se impuso el inglés en Estados Unidos, llevado por ingleses. Por eso se impuso el español en México, llevado por españoles. Y así podríamos seguir…

Lo de indoeuropeo no es un invento porque está bastante demostrada la existencia de un pueblo que conglomeraba lo que luego serían la mayor parte de los actuales pueblos europeos y algunos de la India. Y las investigaciones genéticas no vienen más que a corroborar eso. ¿Nadie es indoeuropeo? La mayor parte de los europeos lo son, por descender de los indoeuropeos. Al igual que los judíos son tales porque descienden de judíos.

Para Dingo:
Sí está demostrado que todos los indoeuropeos se llamaban arios, porque, aparte de aparecer la misma palabra indoeuropea *H1ryos (ario), en prácticamente todas las lenguas indoeuropeas, y haber derivado a todas conservando tanto el significante como el significado (noble, señor), en todas ellas se aprecia que originariamente era el nombre para designarse a sí mismos como “arios”. Si se llamaban a sí mismos “nobles” o “señores” es por su afán de someter a las antiguas poblaciones a un sistema de castas similar en muchos aspectos al que todavía se conserva en la India. Es decir, ellos traían su dialecto indoeuropeo que imponían a la población, y creaban una división en estamentos en que los matrimonios mixtos eran inviables. Esto obedece a la mentalidad indoeuropea de que era malo mezclarse porque pensaban que era una ofensa a la divinidad y una transmutación del orden del cosmos, una ruptura de la armonía natural. Eso se conserva en nuestra palabra “degenerado”, cuyo origen hay que buscarlo en el indoeuropeo. A través del latín “degeneratus”: del latín primitivo *de-genesatus (la s se trasforma en r por la “ley del rotacismo”), y eso a su vez del indoeuropeo *de (prefijo que indica bajeza, corrupción) y *genos (raza). Es decir, aplicaban ese calificativo a los mestizos. De ahí que estuviera mal vista la mezcla. Todo ello hay que englobarlo además con otras palabras como por ejemplo el verbo “misceo” que tiene un significado de corromper o perturbar, en el sentido de mezclar, de eliminar lo diverso, homogeneizar (de esa palabra viene “mixto”). O podríamos citar otros muchos ejemplos como el griego “hýbris”, que levantaba la ira divina, en especial de Némesis (de ahí viene “híbrido”).

Pero yo no ando metiéndome en si eran buenas o malas esas convicciones culturales indoeuropeas. Simplemente informo de que ahí están.

Volvamos a lo de “ario”:
1-Con esa palabra, como dices, hay dificultades en la denominación “Eire” (Irlanda) que en irlandés medieval es Ériu, se había creído siempre que procedía también de ario.
Pokorny lo puso en relación con la palabra para designar Irlanda en galés: “Ywerddon”, lo cual es absurdo. Son ganas de “buscar tres pies al gato”. Es bastante más verosímil que Ériu haya que ponerlo en relación con al sánscrito “arya” (pues no olvidemos además que en el sánscrito se confunden las vocales a/e/o), que con “Ywerddon”.
Esa era la primera dificultad. La Segunda es más absurda aún: pretende que la palabra “ario” proceda del ugarítico “ory” y el egipcio “iry”. En ambas significa “compañero”. Con eso cae totalmente. El significado (compañero) no se corresponde para nada con el que tiene, por ejemplo, en sánscrito (señor, miembro de las castas superiores, noble), y además su sigificante es inverosímil totalmente (*aryos/iry-ory).
Creo que queda resuelta esta dificultad. No obstante, hay otras pruebas que demuestran que los indoeuropeos se llamaban “arios”, por lo que no sucedería nada si esta dificultad no hubiera quedado resuelta (pero creo que lo está más que suficientemente). Normalmente la gente objetiva no la niega.
2-En sánscrito y demás lenguas indoeiranias creo que es suficientemente conocido que aparece (por ejemplo en las inscripciones del rey Darío refiriéndose a él mismo como perteneciente a la “raza aria”[ariya-ciça] raza que ostenta el poder); por ello, si nadie me lo pide, no lo expondré aquí.
3-En céltico, venga “Eire” de ario o no venga, tenemos antropónimos como “Ariomano”, de cuyo origen nadie duda.
4-En latín tenemos “Erus” (Señor, amo).
5-En germano lo tenemos en antropónimos como “Ariovisto”. Pero no sólo ahí, sino también como endoétnico en una inscripción rúnica (véase Kilian 1988, 19), en la que pone claramente “arioster” (los nobles, los señores, los mejores). Este dato ya debería colmarlo todo, pues significaría el cumplimiento de la “Ley de las áreas laterales”. Sin embargo, citaré dos más para que también concuerde la “Ley de la Mayoría”.
6-En griego tenemos la famosa palabra “aristoí”: de *Ary- y el sufijo superlativo –stoí. Originariamente significó “los más arios”, y se aplicaba la nobleza invasora hablante de una lengua indoeuropea. Significaba “los mejores, nobles, señores”.
7-En cuanto a los tocarios, comenzaron a denominarse “tocarios” al descubrirse los restos de este pueblo, en la sospecha de que eran los “tocarios”, exoétnico que en las fuentes antiguas utilizaban otros pueblos para designarles (sin ir más lejos los griegos).
Pero se sabe que ellos se llamaban a sí mismos “arsi”, a su lengua “arsikäntu” y a su tierra “Arsiype”. La etimología de esas palabras no la niega nadie. Solamente procuran no decirlo mucho.

Es decir, todo esto demuestra que la ecuación indoeuropeo=ario es totalmente válida.

Por cierto, sobre los ligures, ¿qué lengua es esa cuyo estrato dices que ha sido detectado? ¿Qué investigadores lo han demostrado? ¿Qué pruebas hay de ello?

Los genes que hemos recibido de lo que tú llamas “zona de los árabes” son los genes de algunas de las poblaciones indoeuropeas que invadieron esas zonas en algunas de las explosiones migratorias indoeuropeas fuertes. De ahí la afinidad.

Tal vez esté poco informado, pero no cojo los marcadores “que me da la gana”. Como veo que prefieres los del ADN mitocondrial y los del cromosoma Y (este último de menor valor por ser parcial al estar basado solamente en los antepasados varones), está bien, me referiré a ellos, que también los conozco. Mencionaré las 15 poblaciones más próximas para no extenderme en demasiado. Si surge, podremos ir hablando de las restantes, pero de momento, mencionaré las 15 primeras.

-Por la proximidad en el ADN mitocondrial, estamos próximos los españoles (de mayor a menor proximidad):
1.- Franceses
2.- Belgas
3.- Suizos
4.- Ingleses
5.- Portugueses
6.- Italianos
7.- Checos
8.- Austriacos
9.- Alemanes
10.- Holandeses
11.- Daneses
12.- Noruegos
13.- Suecos
14.- Escoceses
15.- Vascos

Es decir, que esto confirma lo que he dicho ya, y no choca para nada con el estudio que Diviciaco mencionaba ni con el que mencioné de los polimorfismos de inserción Alu. Ahí no aparece ningún pueblo africano ni asiático.

-Por la proximidad en cuanto al cromosoma Y, los españoles estamos próximos, de mayor a menor proximidad:
1.- Portugueses del Norte
2.- Escoceses del Oeste de Gran Bretaña
3.- Belgas
4.- Portugueses del sur.
5.- Irlandeses
6.- Escoceses
7.- Cornualleses
8.- Vascos
9.- Franceses
10.- Ingleses
11.- Bávaros
12.- Daneses
13.- Italianos
14.- Pakistaníes hazara
15.- Holandeses

Es decir, que esto también confirma lo que hemos dicho ya, y tampoco choca con los estudios citados. Ahí no aparece ninguna población norteafricana, y la asiática que aparece (pakistaníes hazara), aparte de estar separada por 13 pueblos antes, deben tomarse en cuenta las invasiones indoeuropeas en Pakistán, invasores que no fueron nunca expulsados, y cuya lengua indoeuropea aún se habla allí.

Lo de los íberos y los vascos está por demostrar. En cualquier caso no lo he afirmado rotundamente, como puedes comprobar.

No confundo lengua con raza, pues, dejando a un lado que lo de “semita” tiene un origen más de pueblo que de lengua (viene de la creencia que tenían esos pueblos de que descendían de un tal Sem, hijo de Noé, y la cierta coincidencia lingüística entre esos pueblos semejantes racialmente y sus lenguas hizo que se extendiese a lo lingüístico), y lo mismo sucede con “camita”.

No incluyo a los indo-afganos en indoeuropeos, racialmente hablando, porque si bien en esas zonas predominan lenguas indoeuropeas, el grupo indo-afgano es racialmente más semítico que indoeuropeo.

La clasificación que aparece en la página de http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/subraces.html, me parece más simplista que la mía porque ésa sí que pone en relación grupos como los que tú pensabas que yo metía en un mismo grupo europoide. Esta página sí que peca de eso, al meter en un mismo grupo, por ejemplo, el nórdico y el irano-afgano. Creo que el grupo europoide debe dividirse en otros subtipos a su vez, aunque todos de la misma raza por darse en todos los países de raza europoide y aparecer en una misma familia constantemente todos los tipos europoides, mientras que los que clasifico como “semíticos” o “camíticos” no se dan en familias como por ejemplo las españolas. De lo contrario, no nos sería tan fácil darnos cuenta de que un moro es moro al verlo por la calle, por ejemplo.

En esta página ponen el tipo lapón y el del Ladoga como caucasoides, cuando yo creo que más bien son mongoloides, o como mucho una mezcla.
El tipo irano-afgano debe englobarse dentro de los semitas. Lo engloba junto con grupos tan diferentes como lo que llama “céltico” o lo que llama “nórico”.
El tipo armenoide debe también englobarse dentro de los semitas o, como mucho, como una mezcla de europoide y semita. Pero lo mete en el mismo saco que, por ejemplo, los que llama “Atlanto-mediterráneos”.
El grupo que llama “africano oriental” debería englobarse dentro de los camitas.
El grupo que llama “mediterráneo” no creo que exactamente sea el tipo mediterráneo, pues ese modelo que tiene de mediterráneo no se observa en España.
En cuanto al resto de grupos, se engloban perfectamente dentro de la raza europoide. Hay que tener en cuenta otra cosa: La raza europoide, con sus subtipos, es una subdivisión de la raza caucasoide, en la que también se engloban lo que llamo “camitas” y “semitas”; y si a alguno no le gusta esa subdivisión, busque otra mejor.

He demostrado ya bastante bien que la pigmentación no define la raza, sino que se debe a otros factores: no al fenotipo (de phaínos, imagen), sino al genotipo (de génos, raza).
La palabra genética viene del griego genetikós-á-on (relativo a la raza). Y por algo se ha seleccionado esa palabra. De ahí viene también la palabra “gen”.

No existe un gen concreto que defina cada raza, sino una serie de frecuencias según las razas. La vinculación de la raza y la genética ha sido demostrado hasta la saciedad por muchos genetistas de poblaciones (por ejemplo el Dr. Risch).
Para la definición del concepto científico de raza (cada vez más utilizado especialmente para la investigación de enfermedades), véase por ejemplo: O’Brien, S.J., Mayr, E. 1991. “Bureaucratic Mischief: Recognizing Endangered Species and Subspecies”. Science. 2 51:1187-1188.

Link:

http://www.madridman.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=reply;f=16;t=000550