non-Spanish looking people in Spain

Posted by: linguistar

non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/14/03 10:46 PM

I'm gonna live with a friend in Madrid, for 2 months. I am Canadian, born and raised here(parents are from India), I was wondering if this would somehow affect the way people treat me, because I do not look "Spanish". Anyone have any opinions on this issue?
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/15/03 04:15 AM

No problem, there are several posts about racism in Spain, you can search them.
In fact, almost of the tourist are non-Spanish looking. It's like if they had an advertise saying I'm not Spanish wink :p
Posted by: Fernando

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/15/03 07:31 PM

I'm spaniard and I don't look like a spaniard laugh (I had some nordic ancestors).

I think that you won't have any problem in the cities. In small villages and town perhaps people could look at you just for the curiousity of seeing someone quite atypical of what they are used to see.

If you want to look like a spaniard buy clothes here and try to combine them the same way the people you will see here does.

Regards.

Fernando
Posted by: fmiketheman

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/16/03 12:41 PM

hey everyody

fernando

oh my god.. you live in spain and you actually think that the typical "spaniard look" exist.i lived in spain while being a tourist and saw a great variety of looks in the spanish people there and none of these were german or scandinavian people.yes as migueito says the tourist do standout.BUT about half of the SPANIARDS don't have the "typical mediterranean look"if thats the image you have in your mind.you dont look spanish because of your german look inhereted from your german ancestors NOT because your overly white(im overly white and of pure spanish ancestry my dad is gallego and my moms cuban,and i dont look mediterranean at all)people always ask if im irish or german but i say no because i am of spanish origin.i would say im latino sometimes(not all latinos are dark well in this case unlike the spaniards you can say that they commonly are.
again spaniards are of variable facial and skin colors appearances.
rolleyes go outside and check again
bye
Posted by: Fernando

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/16/03 01:12 PM

All I can say is: You are right laugh

I've met blonde spaniards, some that would pass for arabs, other that could easily being confused for a newyorker or an irish, I've met red-hair spaniards that could be swedish, and of course lots of people that have brown hair and a brown skin. We have quite a diversity of "looks" smile

Fernando

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/16/03 02:55 PM

hello everybody

fernando

i knew you knew the truth wink smile cool
Posted by: Wolf

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/16/03 05:07 PM

I believe it's fairly easy in Spain, to identify people who are not Spanish by mannerisms, the way they walk, and the clothes they wear. But I've never found that all Spaniards "look alike." They come from diverse cultures and heritages, and their bond is being Spaniards, just like Americans have the same bond, even though we have various ethnic roots.

Although my wife and I have tried to blend in as much as possible, we've found it extremely difficult to do. Everyone we meet knows we're Americans before a word is exchanged, if for no other reason our clothes, and the way we walk. When a Spaniard walks, it's poetry, when an American walks, it's because we can't get a damned car in there - rolleyes

Wolf
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/16/03 08:08 PM

LOL @ Wolf smile smile smile
Posted by: Akordish

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/17/03 07:01 AM

Just a comment - I'd have to agree there is quite a variation of "man on the street looks"... but did anyone besides me actually see the Miss Espana contest? There is definetly a classical Spanish look - or maybe it was just me??? But there seemed to be at least 50 very beautiful cloned ladies. I must admit I haven't seen the Miss USA pagent in many years - but it seems that there's much more variety in looks and styles stateside.

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/17/03 08:19 AM

Thanks for all your replies, they have made me feel much more comfortable! smile I guess I should try to blend in all I can. I know a lot of Spanish people and they have very different styles of dress, but they wouldn't be singled out because of their race. My main concern is about being treated with respect if I travel the streets alone, look like a foreigner and am a young women, and speak Spanish (but not fluently)
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/17/03 02:31 PM

Akordish: Good to see you back posting...and I think I know what you mean by "classic Spanish look".

The situation with the Miss USA pageant is that (and here comes the potentially inflammatory observation) it looks less homogenous on purpose. Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, the Miss USA pageant was a "white" only pageant. In the 80s and up to today, diversity is key, and I almost suspect that it's 'unofficially encouraged'.

When the first black woman (Vanessa Williams) won the title, there was a scandal (prior nude pictures in Penthouse), and the next year they went and picked Sharlene Wells, who was about as safe a pick to avoid scandal as possible (Miss Utah, Mormon girl...). That was a knock on a potentially great thing: A Black Miss USA...but it looks like the pageant has gotten over it...as the contestants seem to represent a larger slice of what the American pie really looks like.

As for "Miss Spain", I'd stack her up against Miss Anywhere as far as beauty goes...except maybe against those robo-babe clones they keep churning out in Venezuela...Ħay yai yai! eek

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/18/03 08:22 AM

calibasco

you know why?
spanish babes and venezuelan babes are the best on the planet no doubt.

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/18/03 12:16 PM

hey everybody

well also the portuguese gals are pretty hot too.
i count them in as well.

any votes? laugh :p wink
Posted by: miche_dup1

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/18/03 12:40 PM

linguistar,

My goodness you'll be fine. I'm sure I look just as much Spanish as you do wink and I was fine wondering around Spain alone. I've been treated with nothing but courtesy by the Spanish.
You'll love it and I'm glad you speak the lingo, that's most important and it will impress!!

Happy travels.

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 04/18/03 04:23 PM

Thanks Miche, you definately have boosted my confidence smile As for some of the other postings, look what this topic has turned into. It's like a lets judge who are the prettiest women of the world. Guys you are crazzzzzyyyyyyyyyyy :p
Posted by: ucfssre

Re: non-Spanish looking people in Spain - 05/12/03 12:42 PM

yeah,

a right mixture of looks in Spain.