Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?

Posted by: taravb

Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/07/02 06:16 PM

Hi, everyone--
My daughter's Montessori kindergarten class is studying Europe, and her teacher has asked if any parents would like to come in and give 10-15 minute presentations about countries. Of course I want to do Spain!

But what should I include? We can cook, look at pictures, etc....

Suggestions???
Posted by: Chica

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/08/02 03:11 PM

How about music? Kids love music!
Posted by: pim

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/08/02 06:43 PM

Absolutely, and make a 'tortilla de patatas' (without the onion, so the poor kiddies don't cry laugh )

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/08/02 07:17 PM

Here's what I was thinking...show some photos of famous Spanish sights (Segovia's aqueduct and alcázar, Salamanca's Plaza Mayor, Toledo, a few Madrid photos, etc.), possibly make a tortilla without onions, and play some Spanish music. I think I will make the tortilla at home and just bring it in for the kids--otherwise it's going to be too messy!

Other ideas?
Posted by: Espe3

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/08/02 11:17 PM

Since its around the holidays, you can tell them about three kings day! smile
Posted by: Shawn

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/09/02 09:19 PM

All children love castles, even 30-somethings laugh . The Alcazar and the "battleship" looking castle in Peñafiel provoke images of an era of kinghts and damsels, the kind of imagery that all kids love, young and old. Perhaps a couple of photos of these momentous structures could show students of the courage of the Spanish people during the liberation of the penninsula.

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/09/02 09:25 PM

Espe3, I think I need someone to tell ME about three kings day first! Maybe I can do a little research!

I love the idea of talking about the castles, Shawn...thanks for the suggestion! I have some lovely photos I can share...and maybe I can find one I can turn into a coloring page or something.

Tara
Posted by: nevado

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/10/02 01:01 AM

Here's another idea, using the coloring pages...you could read them a children's version of Don Quixote and have the kids make their own stick puppets with coloring pages and chopsticks. They could reenact the story in groups (I guess that would be something the teacher could do as a follow-up activity). Perhaps they're a bit young to make their own show...perhaps with older kids. Or, you could lead a story with the kids and their puppets, having them follow along.
Also, if you have any castanuelas, I think those are fun (although for the life of me I can't use them properly)!
Posted by: pim

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/10/02 04:32 AM

Well, not only do we have castles, we have a king, a queen, etc, as well! Quite fairy-tale-like I guess.... :p
Posted by: Chica

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/10/02 05:53 AM

Oh! and what a prince Spain has!! laugh

Tara, how could you forget...what about churros con chocolate? What kid wouldn´t go ga-ga over that???!!

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/10/02 10:13 AM

Chica, how am I going to make CHURROS!? (Though I would be willing to try if someone taught me how! And maybe I can find them in a bakery somewhere in town.) You're so right about that prince....

I hadn't thought about Don Quixote. I adore windmills, so it would be fun to talk about those...I wonder if there's a children's story based on Don Q?

Once upon a time, I could use castanuelas...but I haven't tried in AGES. I think I have a pair somewhere, though...

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! Maybe other board members will also invade their children's classrooms for a little Spain-lesson. We need to start indoctrinating the next generation, after all....

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/10/02 10:30 AM

Can you all believe that nobody seems to have written a children's story (in English) based on the tale of Don Quixote? What a perfect story for kids...full of slapstick humor, off-the-wall antics...how could it be that nobody has thought of that? It would be lovely to illustrate, too!

I am really excited about the idea of telling the children some of Don Q's adventures...but I haven't read the book in so long, I really need a refresher course!

I'll be there are stories for children in SPAIN based on Don Quixote...
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/10/02 03:07 PM

I've found some Don Quixote books for children but none of them are interesting for your children. There was even an e-book with sound and pictures but it was a very short one (just 16 pages / episode) for $5.

Check out the website for the Spanish cartoon series of Don Quixote . Perhaps you can use some pictures from there.

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/10/02 05:28 PM

Thank you, Antonio--I will look around that site and see if I can find anything that would be useful in the class!

Tara smile
Posted by: laduque

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/10/02 09:06 PM

Taravb, this is right up my alley, seeing as I am a Kinder teacher myself!!
I think the music, pic's of castles and windmills, also a tortilla, are age appropriate. If you can get a hold of horchata, that would be good too.
I haven't yet begun my search for Spanish children's stories in English but if I come up with one, I'll let you know.
We sing a lot and an easy song to learn in Spanish for English speakers is sung to the tune of Frere Jacques (remember that one?)
It goes:
Buenos Dias,
Buenos Dias,
Como estas?
Como estas?
Muy bien, gracias
Muy bien, gracias
Y usted?
Y usted?

Then: Buenas Tardes and Buenas Noches.

Does that make sense.
Anyway, it is an easy song for them and we sing it all the time, they really like it and think they are speaking Spanish. smile
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/11/02 01:02 AM

You might consider a short lesson on the transition from a Fascist dictatorship to a fledgling constitutional monarchy, as well as an attempted coup d'etat. I find that nothing wakes up the kinder quite like a rousing discussion on foreign politics and Falange!

Sincerely,
Wolf

[sorry, couldn't resist, ol' pal... laugh ] Stay warm, hermano!

...actually I like the music and tortilla ideas best! Aaah, to be 5 in Minnesota again!
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/11/02 06:20 AM

Maybe you can show them an idea of all the cultures that have come across the country and a vision of the geography...to give a real vision, although..
Have you watched 'Bienvenido Mr.Marshall', I think you should dress yourself with a gitana dress and sing them a copla and dance like Lola Flores or similar. You can take also a geranio and a reja to decorate the classroom.
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/11/02 07:04 AM

Miguel - are you offering your services to Tara?

Quote:
dance like Lola Flores or similar

wink

OK MM I promise this is the last time!

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/11/02 07:25 AM

Oh!, this is harassment!! wink
Nobody can talk about dance without Jo's menace.
Of course, I can dance like Lola, although she didn't do it like in that photo. Anyway, you won't see it, maybe you could be with a spy camera.

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/11/02 09:12 AM

Miguelito, how soon can you catch a plane to Minnesota? These kids need dance lessons!

Thanks again for all the suggestions...now I have Buenos Dias/Frere Jacques stuck in my head! I think I will skip the part about the Falange and let the first grade teacher handle that next year. wink

I will let you all know how it turns out!

Tara

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/12/02 02:28 AM

I'm sorry, I finished all my holidays for this year.
But you can see a photo of the whole family Flores here:
http://www.tristeyazul.com/artflam/lolaf01.htm

(go to the end)
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/12/02 10:06 AM

One of my granddaughters is a kindergardner. She just got back from a trip to Spain (Madrid & Campello (Alicante)) with her parents. She loved the Churros con chocolate. My last 2-visits I have brought back several cans of hot Chocolate mix (brand name: Paladin). She also loves croquetas: when the restaurant people asked her how she liked them, she replied that the ones her Abuela makes were much better than theirs. I wouldn't recommend croquetas de bacalao: too strong-tasting for that age. Maybe turkey

Spanish Christmas carols tend to be upbeat, happy music, the kind you can play along with on your pandareta (not like Silent Night or O Come all ye Faithful). If you have any records or tapes of traditional or modern Villancicos, the children might enjoy them.
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/13/02 04:27 PM

Miguelito: I'd almost forgotten that picture. I was a little out of it the day they took it, but the guitar is definitely mine.

What club was the picture of you taken at? Club Vergüenza? :p wink

Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class? - 12/16/02 02:36 AM

No, the club Vergüenza is the one I joined after the photo was hang on MMboard wink
It was Berlin Cabaret cool , so the movement was right for the place