Pesetas worth anything?

Posted by: illinois mike

Pesetas worth anything? - 07/19/02 11:15 PM

When we got back from Spain two years ago I found that I had brought a 2000 peseta note home. We're going back this summer. What are these pesetas worth now, if anything, since the euro has taken over? Should I bother taking it back with me? I think that it was worth around $12 at the time.
Posted by: mencey

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/20/02 01:32 AM

I'll bet it's worth about 16-17 dollars now
Posted by: Asterault

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/20/02 04:34 AM

12 dollars US. Take it to a bank and change it.
Posted by: Chica

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/20/02 02:20 PM

I think at this date you will only be able to change it at the Banco de Espaņa in Madrid.

Anyone have further knowledge?
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/20/02 08:16 PM

Correct Chica. 2000 ptas are 12$, and you may only change them in the Banco de Espaņa (Spanish National Bank) or any of its offices.

Fernando
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/20/02 08:30 PM

You may keep it for sentimental reasons. I am keeping mine since it marks the end of an era. Eventually these will become rare and scarce. It will be fun having a bit of history in your hands. Hey, you can always sell it on e-Bay!
Posted by: Puna

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/22/02 11:05 AM

Ah Booklady - your e-bay comment has given all of us sentimental savers an excuse! wink
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/23/02 11:44 AM

One other nice way to dump pesetas is to turn them into one of the many cash register lexan boxes. The proceeds are sent to impoverished nations (I'm assuming they'll do a transaction with a significant number of pesetas and then give it to the locals.

Keep your eyes open as you shop at larger supermarkets. They're there...

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/23/02 12:35 PM

Calibasco, what is a cash register lexan boxes?
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/23/02 01:50 PM

Booklady, I think these are also known as "Charity Boxes" where you toss in coins, sometimes they have a sprial inside a see-through globe of some sort and a sign at the top naming the charity. I saw one like this in the Charles Degaul (sp?) Airport in Paris last spring where people could throw their "archaic" coins and bills which would later be converted and donated for charity purposes.

By the way, I too saved a number of lower denomination peseta bills as well as at least 2 or 3 of each coin I could get my hands on over Christmas 2001.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/23/02 09:36 PM

Thanks, MadridMan.

Good idea! Maybe the charities sell them to coin collectors and they in turn sell them in eBay! laugh
Posted by: Puna

Re: Pesetas worth anything? - 07/25/02 10:17 AM

Months ago Diane posted information on an organization that handled this - under UN auspices I believe. See the attached link for more info -

http://www.madridman.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000228&p=