SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics

Posted by: MadridMan

SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/26/12 10:03 AM

Best of luck to Spain in the 2012 London Olympics xfingers

The 2012 London Olympics officially starts tomorrow, 27 July at 9PM local London time with the Opening Ceremonies. First events start the following day, 28 July, 2012. See official Olympics schedule and results HERE.

Here, we'll discuss the Spanish athletes, their events and (hopefully a lot of) medals.

We already know that Rafael Nadal won't be participating in Olympic Men's Tennis. That's a shame. He was to carry the Spanish flag in the opening ceremonies, but Spanish/Catalán basketball legend Pau Gasol will do the honors instead. thumbsup

Regarding Men's Basketball, the USA team is in GROUP A while Spain is in GROUP B. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see these two in the final together. Wouldn't THAT be great?!?

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/27/12 04:52 AM

Yesterday, even BEFORE the Opening Ceremonies (which doesn't make any sense to me, but ooookay...), Spain lost to Japan in Football/Fútbol/Soccer 1-0 in the First Round Group D. That's a pretty shocking way for Spain to start the 2012 Olympics, the former WORLD CUP holder country!

According to the Spanish Football Team Roster, NONE (or almost none) of the players from the the EuroCup or World Cup are on the Olympic team. The ONLY name I even recognize is Jordi Alba. Can anyone explain this to me?

Tonight's the Opening Ceremony! I might just watch.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/27/12 07:26 AM

I believe that the soccer is under 23 for men with 3 exceptions allowed.
Posted by: pedmar

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/28/12 05:04 AM

yes correct teachertraveler8
javi martinez, jordi alba, and Mata, the exceptions

it was a shock to lose but many have won after losing the opening game so still lots to do.
Spain will win about 11-15 medals, they cant match Barcelona 92
cheers

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/28/12 11:26 AM

So the soccer games are for players only 23 years old and younger - but the basketball teams can be any age?!? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/28/12 02:03 PM

I think the basketball may be changing, too.

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/29/12 07:38 AM

Thats the Olympics, they are govern by individual associations so the football one is FIFA, very strict. The 3 players was just added a few years back if I recall was in 2007. Otherwise it was sub 23 only.

basketball well here is FIBA and the NBA has more say. Totally pros but then again they dont have a world cup ::)

Spain vs Honduras for the confirmation lol! Munian is back

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/29/12 07:40 AM

I just read in an english trade journal on wines that because obbbins was not allowed to advertise and claim abuse because small outfit is having a sales of 30% discount if you come with an Iphone, Nike shoes, Vauxhall key, pepsi purchase at KFC, etc etc..
hehehe now going to the olympics you get better wine prices but the demands are high lol!! maybe Steve can look into this.
Oddbins has 35 stores in the London area.wine shops.

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/29/12 08:25 AM

Not sure what/who Oddbins/Obbbins is, but is (s)he on the Spanish Olympic team?!!? huh wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/31/12 07:49 AM

Thanks, pedmar! thumbsup Please post your updates here instead in the temporary ShoutBox. Thanks!! wavey

Spain loses to Honduras 0-1 in Soccer/Football.. They're eliminated? huh

Women's Beach Volleyball: Spain versus Argentina. Game just started. You can watch live online at RTVE.es.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/31/12 09:24 AM

Spain beats Australia 82-70 in Men's Basketball. Pau Gasol had 20 puntos and Rudy Fernández had 17. They'll next play again on Thursday (next week) against United Kingdom.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 07/31/12 01:27 PM

yeah and they will win again ::)

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/01/12 12:03 PM

Spain is now playing Morocco in soccer!

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/02/12 04:07 AM

0X0 and they are out dismal performance, but you cant win them all lol!!
Mireia won the only medal silver in swimming so far. I think it was 200m butterfly.
It seems the best hope is the basketball team

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/02/12 11:41 AM

SPAIN WINS ITS FIRST/ONLY OLYMPIC MEDAL OF THESE OLYMPICS, a SILVER in women's 200 meter butterfly (swimming). The Catalána, "Bicho" (her nickname) Mireia Belmonte Garcia, won in yesterday's final event. yeah

Spain tied with Morocco in football/soccer 0-0.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/02/12 02:42 PM

If we had Puertoricans here then BICHO may be funny ::) nothing to do with the women but the man best weapon lol!!!

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/04/12 06:21 AM

SPAIN WINS ITS SECOND AND THIRD OLYMPIC MEDAL OF THESE OLYMPICS.

SILVER in women's 800m Freestyle (swimming): Catalána Mireia Belmonte

BRONZE in women's Women's Kayak (K1 - Canoe Slalom): The Basque (from San Sebastián-Donostia) Maialen Chourraut

Spain is CURRENTLY playing Russia in men's basketball - game JUST started. Oddly enough, Russia's coach is an American and is coaching them on the sidelines in ENGLISH(!!) between plays. How can THAT be?!?! The ENTIRE Spanish men's basketball team is BEARDED - as they tend to be in big competitions.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/04/12 09:43 AM

Oh, man!! Spain LOST to Russia in Men's Basketball in a VERY close game at the end. frown That's a shame. Spain was WAY ahead at the end of the first quarter, but then Russia REALLY came-on-strong. Must've been for their American coach. hehehe..

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/05/12 07:52 AM

yes, and now plays Brazil and all the talk is how to play if lose intentionally to avoid the USA on both team, I would love to see the game v Brazil alive and see

still far behind on the estimated medal count lol!!!
Posted by: Murdy

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/07/12 11:36 AM

The drought is over! Spain just got a silver medal for synchronized swimming! Congratulations!

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/08/12 04:24 AM

Thanks, Murdy!!

GOLD MEDAL: Women's Sailing (RS-X), Marina Alabau Neira from Sevilla.

SILVER MEDAL: Women's Synchronised Swimming (Duets).

SILVER MEDAL: Men's Triathlon, Javier Gómez from, yes, born in Switzerland.

It was QUITE a DAY, yesterday!!! yeah

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Murdy

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/08/12 06:21 AM

That's right MadridMan! And today, David Cal just won the silver in the 1000m C1!! The flood gates are open!
Posted by: jazz

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/08/12 07:43 AM

We'll be seen to Mr Gasol and company today. They were an embarrass in the last basketball game. Spain vs France 5:15 pm

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/09/12 06:59 AM

jazz, you can say that again. Spain has not been playing in their typical style in men's basketball lately. I was SO happy to see them beat (but nearly lose to) a street-fighting-style French team. Man, those last 2 minutes were brutal! I seriously expected ejections for the French team, but it never happened.

Murdy, yesterday was a good day for Spain, indeed!!

GOLD MEDAL: Taekwondo (Men's -58kg), Joel González Bonilla from Figueres.

SILVER MEDAL: Taekwondo (Women's -49kg), Brigitte Yague Enrique from Mallorca.

SILVER MEDAL: Men's Canoe Sprint (Men's Canoe Single (C1) 1000m), David Cal Figueroa.

Good job, Spain!! thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/09/12 01:58 PM

well Spain won well, and the French call out tricks to avoid the USA and instead play Russia.
interview on French TV, British PM David Cameron spoke very well to his own allegations of tricks in cycling.

AFter seeing reports on several languages and to be fair I do think the French are bad losers... And I know them well ::)

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/10/12 12:17 PM

SILVER MEDAL: Women's Water Polo

BRONZE MEDAL (tied): Wrestling (Women's 72kg Freestyle), Joel Maider Unda from Victoria.

BRONZE MEDAL: Women's Synchronised Swimming (Teams Final)

RIGHT NOW, Spain is RE-PLAYING Russia in the Semifinal. The winner plays on Sunday against the winner of later today's game between USA-ARGENTINA.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/11/12 01:04 PM

Spain vs USA in basketball final lol!!!

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/12/12 11:09 AM

MORE metal for Spain, a total of 16 medals now:

SILVER MEDAL: Canoe Sprint (Men's Kayak Single (K1) 200m), Saul Craviotto Rivero.

BRONZE MEDAL: Women's Handball (Teams Final)

GOLD MEDAL: Women's Sailing (Women's Elliott 6m Spain), Teams Final

SILVER MEDAL: Taekwondo (Men's -80kg), Nicolas Garcia Hemme from Las Palmas.

RIGHT NOW, Spain is playing the USA in men's basketball for the Gold Medal!! It's halftime and the score is CLOSE at USA 59 - 58 Spain. What a game!! yeah

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/12/12 11:34 AM

good games USA not falling the shots, but leading by a point after 3 quarters

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/12/12 12:05 PM

USA wins the Gold Medal against Spain in men's basketball with 107 points to Spain's 100 points. Pau Gasol gets Spain's team high with 27 points. GREAT game and Spain fought hard and can be proud with their Silver Medal. Congratulations!!!! clap

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/12/12 12:15 PM

great game, Spain gave its all, but the USA is still the land of basketball mens and womens lol!!!
until next time

ps with the NBA the distances will become shorter in years to come I am sure.

Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics - 08/13/12 07:31 AM

Spain total of 17 medals one shy of the record at Peking.Not bad ,and over the max thought of 15

Until next time