Gay Pride in Madrid

Posted by: steve robinson

Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/11/10 05:31 AM

Whether you´re gay or straight .. "orgullo" or "gay pride " in Madrid is an amazing spectacle with millions ( literally ) of people on Madrid´s streets and partying like crazy in the streets of Chueca ( the gay district ) .According the official site the festivities will start on June 30th and end on July 4th . The main parade ( which can take 4 or 5 hours to pass by ) will be on July 3rd ( Saturday ) . The theme this year is " Por la igualdad transexual" . The march normally starts at Puerta de Alcalá and winds all the way down Gran Vía .
It´s likely to be very hot that time of year and they´ll be plenty of vendors selling water , soft drinks and beer .
In the evening pop music will blast out all over Chueca and the bars will be st up in the streets and squares .
It´s great fun .. And bring your camera .. plenty of photo opportunities .
If you decide to continue the party , Sitges , will be celebrating gay pride in thier own inimitable style by the sea between 9th and 13th July .
Posted by: PADM

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/11/10 11:52 AM

It's a good chance to enjoy the city and take the streets.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/11/10 06:32 PM

Looks like I'll be attending the parade. Hope it's more fun than previous years when I gave up early because nothing interesting/outrageous was passing-by. Maybe I went TOO early.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/11/10 07:20 PM

Are there ever any protesters in Spain for something like this? (I am not protesting, just asking the question. I see a lot of hateful rhetoric in the US and it is not productive at all)
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/11/10 08:31 PM

There aren't protesters - as far as I've noticed. And if there were, they'd be greatly outnumbered by supporters.

I just wonder when heterosexuals will get off their duffs and organize a Hetero-Pride parade. Only seems fair. Probably be pretty boring, though.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: laduque

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/11/10 10:45 PM

Woo Hoo! I arrive on the 1st, just in time for the parade on the 3rd.

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/12/10 05:30 AM

MM ... There´s normally nothing too outrageous though the leathermen float is very risqué ... There´s always this one guy that marches naked with his body painted in the colours of the Republican movement .
As far as a heterosexual parade is concerned ´.. it wouldn´t be boring ... just different . Like Carnival in Rio de Janeiro .
I always remember the quote " Being straight isn´t normal , it´s just common . " Jejejejeje .
I agree with MM , Teachertraveler8 , you will not see protesters at the march . Millions will be on the streets ( not necessarily in support of gay rights ) but enjoying the party .
Spain does have it´s homophobic side but you rarely see it , even on a normal day .
Posted by: PADM

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/12/10 11:08 AM

You can see the Hetero-Pride every weekend, he,he,he

Take a look at this (Sorry, it isn't translated)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMLTegXbKE

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/12/10 11:51 AM

I didn´t understand everything and will be watching it again PADM but what I understood was very funny !
Posted by: eskimo joe

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/13/10 01:32 AM

When I lived in Madrid , I had been out of madrid all week so didnt realise it was on . Came in to town to go for a curry and got off the metro at Plaza Espana , it was so busy there was not a hope in hell of crossing the gran via

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/13/10 03:43 AM

Joe ... that´s one thing I had to try and do once .. crossing Gran Vía during the parade . Apart from the sheer volume of people , I had to dodge drag queens , lesbian drummers , half naked guys ... It was a real obstacle course but I managed it eventually ! Jejejeje . If you´ve not been before , I´d suggest staying the Retiro Park side of the parade so at least you have a wide open space to dive into if it gets too much . I always go to Banco de España for my photos but , man , it´s hectic !
Posted by: jazz

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/13/10 06:09 AM

I'm hetero, but I go every year, I think it's a tourist attraction.What do you think of...?
Posted by: eskimo joe

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/13/10 08:26 AM

Yeah Steve , I eventually gave up and just wandered up Tribunal to get something to eat .

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/13/10 10:22 AM

It is a tourist attraction , Jazz .. no doubt about it .. But it also tries to educate people about my community .... We pay our taxes like everyone else , but still face prejudice from the Government and the Churches . This Mardi Gras is a celebration of gay life but also an opportunity to advertise our wish for equality in everyday life .
Posted by: MedicalMan

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/29/10 02:15 PM

When I lived in Madrid, Me and several buddies had mapped out 8 or 10 Irish Pubs and had traveled downtown from Majadahonda where we lived via Taxi. The Taxi let us out right smack in the middle of the Gay Pride parade. Now, we are all Heterosexual males and had never seen anything like this before (or so many men wearing and carrying Rainbow shirts and flags) and it was a night long topic of discussion while we "pub hopped". Great memories of living in Madrid.

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/31/10 09:06 AM

MedicalMan , I can imagine exactly what those bars were . Absolutely central to the parade is The James Joyce .. my favourite Irish bar in Madrid . The manager , Matthew , is great .. a true Irishman . The Irish love to swear .. and he´s no exception ... I think he´s a great guy ! I´m surprised you even managed to get a taxi into the centre !
Posted by: MedicalMan

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 05/31/10 04:15 PM

Steve....I don't remember how we got past some of the barriers. My wife and kids were back in the states visiting family and I was able to go out with the Single Guys for a "Night on the town". I don't think I got back home until around 6AM the next morning. Had a Blast, but I'm glad I don't do that too often...lol.
Posted by: Jim Costello

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 06/01/10 12:44 PM

Steve, Matt has a good sense of humor. He greets me like I'm his best customer. I enjoy going to James Joyce when I'm in Madrid.

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 06/08/10 05:54 AM

The organizers in Madrid Gay Pride Parade becomes the parade of shame. " have canceled the invitation sent from Israel to homosexuals.

Why do that?! outrageous!

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 06/08/10 04:01 PM

Gay pride will still be a great occasion , Jazz . However i 100% agree with you that the organisers of "orgullo" are wrong to stop the Israeils joining the march . Politics have a big place in gay pride but only politics specific to gay rights . COGAM need to understand that and be more adult in their approach . Israeli gays will be welcome in Madrid despite pueril officials !

Re: Gay Pride in Madrid - 06/09/10 06:39 AM

Perhaps, the gay parade with Israelis and Palestinians together, would be a good solution ...