What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it?

Posted by: Berta

What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it? - 08/29/08 09:17 AM

I am making fig jam and I need Pectin, or sure-jell as it's called in America. Can you help (again).
Thanks,
Berta
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it? - 08/29/08 02:32 PM

While not 100% certain, one Spaniard told me you should be able to buy this product in the pharmacy too - which really surprises me.

Pectin, or the Sure-Jell (as known in the USA), is something you mix with fruits to make them firm, to help them stand up, to make them more "spreadable". Is that correct? My parents and grandparents always made jams and jellies from their own fruit plants/trees but I never knew how they did it.

Re: What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it? - 08/29/08 03:47 PM

Yes, that is true. It thickens the jam, although some fruits have large amounts of pectin in them, like apples. I will check there. Thanks for the info!
Posted by: Chica

Re: What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it? - 08/30/08 07:15 AM

Try "cola de pescado" which can be bought in most grocery stores. It usually comes in thin slivers or very fine sheets. wink
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it? - 08/30/08 07:48 AM

cola de pescado ..... for jam !... sounds horrible haha

Re: What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it? - 08/30/08 08:14 AM

Berta .. I just called my mum in England and she was right in the process of making batches of jam ( blackberry I think ) .. She tells me that you should look for "preserving sugar" and that'll do the trick . Also that in the old days , they would use a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice which naturally has pectin .. Just an idea . Steve

Re: What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it? - 08/30/08 08:25 AM

Oh and where do you get your figs from ... I like the dark figs and was able to get them in Puerto Banus ... I heat them uo in the oven then drizzle honey over them and eat them with vanilla ice cream ... perfection .... But Madrid seems sadly lacking in places to buy them . Maybe I have to go to Tetuan or Lavapies with the arabic shops .

Re: What is Pectin called in Spanish/ where can I find it? - 09/20/08 09:03 AM

Hey thanks Steve for your help. I appreciate it. The figs come to us by the bucket load from neighbors in a village town in the province of Caceres. We have a house in Madrid, but rent a place in this village (we're here now). LOVE FIGS!!