pesetas vs Euros

Posted by: goshawk

pesetas vs Euros - 04/01/04 11:50 AM

While I know that the Euro is now used in spain, I often see pesetas still listed for prices, such as entry fee to mueseums. example 700 pesetas for one fee. How does one covert pesetas to Euros to get an idea of what something cost?

Pat
Posted by: deibid

Re: pesetas vs Euros - 04/01/04 11:57 AM

Well, the rule is not easy to apply, but it helps: 6 euros equal 1000 ptas. So, 3 euros equal 500 ptas.
The 'rule of 6' is the most used by Spaniards. Fortunately we are slowly trying to think in euros, and forget the long gone pesetas.

Remember...
6 eur 1000 ptas
0.6 eur 100 ptas
0.3 eur 50 ptas

2000 ptas? easy, 2*6=12 eur
2500 ptas? well, 2*6+3=15 eur
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: pesetas vs Euros - 04/01/04 03:12 PM

goshank wrote:
Quote:
I often see pesetas still listed for prices, such as entry fee to mueseums. example 700 pesetas for one fee. How does one covert pesetas to Euros to get an idea of what something cost?
Don't worry. They'll NEVER ONLY LIST the prices in pesetas without the corresponding price in Euros. You will oftentimes see both listed for those not yet mentally set to understand the value of the Euro.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Fernando

Re: pesetas vs Euros - 04/01/04 05:22 PM

What is a peseta? wink
Posted by: Torrales

Re: pesetas vs Euros - 04/01/04 05:31 PM

Quote:
What is a peseta?
The fifth part of a duro wink

About this thing, what upsets me more is the journalists and people talking about "old pesetas". There are no such "old pesetas" as there are not "new pesetas"! There are only pesetas... that are no longer the Spanish currency. Long time ago, there were other currency units and we don't talk about "old reales de vellon", or "old ducados".
Posted by: Spaniard

Re: pesetas vs Euros - 04/01/04 09:46 PM

C'mon Torrales, there is an "old peseta": the old woman who looks at us with maternal love in her sad eyes.

Call me a fool but I miss her...

¿Cien Pesetas? ¡¡no!! ¡Veinte Duros!