Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon

Posted by: almohada

Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/12/04 01:39 AM

Hi,
I thought I would throw all in one of posting. I have only been here a week (which ill explain my questions). I lave near Atocha.

I am looking for a cheap place to buy simple medicines, such as Tylenol, contact lens solutions, or cold medicine. Entering the pharmacies is like entering a boutique beauty salon. Near Princesa, I paid 13 Euros for one lousy bottle of RENU solution.

Futon, I am sleeping on a bed sized for a 12 year old girl (I am a 45 year old man). I am thinking a Queen-sized futon would be heavenly. ANy suggestions?

Haircut? My Spanish is not bad, but the language of the haircut, can be tricky. I was butchered in Italy way back when. Any suggestions? I am open to any reasonable price is.

Finally, I am looking for a sillon/Laxy-Boy-Recline/Morris Chair--something to relax in all by myself and kick the feet up. Looking for comfort not fashion. My Morris Chair at home is perfect, however, (a) it is not here and (b) I am looking to spend that much money.

I am heading for IKEA today (Jan 12th), but any of you have alternative suggestions, I am interested.

Thanx!!
Alhomada
Posted by: Chica

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/12/04 05:52 AM

Hi Almohada --

Aspirin/Tylenol -- the only place you will be able to get this is in a pharmacy. It´s not like the States where you can walk into a 24hr. drug store and get just about ANYTHING from medicine to oil for your car.

Contact lens solution.... if you find a multipurpose solution for less than the States, please let me know where! I have been here almost 3 years and have yet to pay less than the average of 11-13€ for a bottle. Move away from the touristy area and you will find it on the lower end of the average scale.

I not a male (note my nickname wink ) but have seen hair cuts for men for about 9€. Outside the metro stop of Valdeacederas (line 1)on c/Bravo Murillo there is a barbershop that has an apprentice who cuts for 7€.

I was going to suggest IKEA for the furniture until I saw that you were heading there today.

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/12/04 06:01 AM

hola chica,
ˇgrácias por su ayuda!

I regret not stocking up on Renu when home for Christmas. Have 1 1/2 bottles left.

SO I guess IKEA it is...

Any ideas on a futon? Or are they nonexistent here (and I mean the real ones, not foam padding!)

Thanks again!!
Almohada
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/12/04 06:58 AM

I don't think they will have Laxy-Boy-Recline in Ikea. They have very basic, unexpensive although lacking quality and taste things (IMO).

In the same line than Ikea, you could also visit Tumueble.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/12/04 05:24 PM

almohada, if you are looking for futones, then go to Futonia . They have a shop near to Atocha at Echegaray street. They also have a bigger shop at Plaza del Conde Valle de Suchil near to San Bernardo subway stop. I guess this shop must be quite expensive as futones are "exotic" things here in Spain.
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/12/04 11:06 PM

I have a friend who from time to time asks me to bring him a GIANT bottle of Walgreen's aspirins. For four or five dollars he gets a hundred euros worth!

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/14/04 02:35 AM

Thanks again, you all. I bought this goose feather comforter at IKEA (on sale for 25 Euros!!), made the discomfort of the bed more tolerable, though I will make it a point to visit Futonia. In retrospect, I really did space when not making a point to go to Longs and stock up on basic medicines. It was my intention.

Finally, one more call out there for recommendations on peluquerias. Any places that give a nice standard business cut?

Thanks!!
Posted by: JA

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/17/04 08:35 PM

Hi,Almohada:

I had my heair cut in few strange places, so I know the feeling. But, if you go to a peluqueria/barberia de barrio, you can pick up one the magazines showing different styles and show it to the fellow.

Or clip one picture you like from one of your own magazines and take it to him, or say : "Ni muy corto ni muy largo". O, "un recorte ligero por favor."
Come to think of it, this is getting complicated...

Suerte,

juan

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/18/04 07:04 AM

Thanks Juan, "ligero, ni corto ni largo" gives me something safe to try.

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/18/04 01:49 PM

There is an old fashioned barbershop right next to Botin. They do the old style cuts and still offer a hot shave with a straight razor.

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/19/04 12:57 PM

Thanks Mongo. I just took the plunge and got a but right at Huertas and Leon. Nice price and nice guy. But the idea of a real old fashion cut sounds intriguing. Where exactly is Botin? Too new here.

Cheer, A

Re: Madrid: buying Medicine, futon, haircut, and Sillon - 01/19/04 09:03 PM

Botin is at c/ de los Cuchilleros 17 which is the street that goes down from the southwest corner of Plaza Mayor.

I plan on getting a shave and a haircut when I am there in 2 weeks!