Factory outlet in Madrid???

Posted by: paddy-wyn

Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/02/02 11:18 AM

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine went to Madrid for a business trip and was brought to a certain place where they sold clothes and shoes (Zara, Mango, Camper...) at factory prices. Unfortunately, she could not remember where in madrid the place was located. She said it took them 1.5 hours by car to reach the place.

Anyone knows where this certain factory outlet is located??? I'm visiting Madrid in June and would love to visit this place. thanks!!

New member,
paddy
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/02/02 11:58 AM

Come on shoppers!!! Get thinking!!! I'd LOVE to hit this place the next time I'm in town too!!

-GG
Posted by: Chica

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/02/02 02:14 PM

Paddy and Granada Girl --

Donīt know if this is the same place that Paddyīs friend went to while on his business trip, but there is a factory outlet shopping center ... conveniently called FACTORY. It is located in the northern suburb of Madrid, Las Rozas. To get there, take the A-6 (carretera to A Coruņa) from Moncloa. There are also buses (I will check the routes and post them later) which go there.

I canīt imagine that it took 1.5 hours to get there as it is located just outside of city and heck, I live 65 km north of Madrid and my travel time to the city is about 45 mins. It should only take about 15 -20 minutes (depending on traffic) to get there from center city Madrid.

Happy shopping!
Posted by: Puna

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/02/02 03:50 PM

Chica - when you post the bus info, please also give a critique on Factory. Stores you like - are the products dated or "slightly damaged", etc. i.e., is it worth going unless you are spending a semester in Madrid, live there (lucky people), etc. Know that most of the equivilant concepts in the states can be, more than often not, not worth the time nor hassle of getting there. Really appreciate your honest laugh feedback on this!

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/02/02 06:15 PM

Puna, you know me...not hesitant at all to express my opinion! laugh However, I must say that I have never been shopping at Factory (been reluctant to knowing the reputation that such outlets have in the USA). However, my sister-in-laws shop there frequently...in fact the majority of their clothes are from the Zara outlet store among others. That said, I really donīt know if the prices are all that fantastic (although they seem to think that they are). wink
Posted by: LostInMadrid

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/03/02 06:32 AM

I've been to that outlet and I can tell you that if you're an American and are expecting some sort of a Spanish Factory Outlet Paradise on par with some outlet places in the U.S. your expectations are a bit high. It's just a building with like 20-30 chain shops with discounts. It's not particularly special...

Without being TOO harsh, I think its fame has to do with the fact that most Madrileņos are a bit tacaņo (penny-pinching). Also discounting is not really common here and outlet malls are still a pretty novel concept. Think back to 1985... how excited were your parents when the first outlet stores appeared near them? That sort of thing. Here's a a link to an article I found in El Mundo if you speak Spanish: http://www.el-mundo.es/2000/10/23/madrid/23N0069.html
It's from October 2000, but it says that there are now three outlet malls around Madrid. "But," it says, "these types of stores aren't new in Madrid. The Factory opened around two years ago." Ancient! The other two stores are called Las Rozas Company Stores and New York Factory (in Alcobendas) which is just for clothes.

-Russ
Posted by: laduque

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/03/02 07:33 PM

I went to the Factory stores last year, and while the goods were discounted, it was not a huge discount and some of the things (like Camper shoes) were kind of out of style. Anyway, i got some great buys for the little kids in my life at Catamini, which is a French retailer selling trendy kids clothes. smile

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/04/02 10:44 AM

to Chica, LostinMadrid and laduque:

Could you provide me with the directions to the places you mentioned? it would be my virgin trip to Madrid, and I have a feeling that I would be lost half the time....

Thanks again !!

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/04/02 11:03 AM

paddy wyn -- by car or public transit?

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/05/02 04:01 AM

hi Chica,

Public traqnsit please, the metro nearest to the hostal I'm staying at is Sol. Thanks again!!! smile
Posted by: pim

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/05/02 11:23 AM

Also in Las Rozas there's Las Rozas Village; there's no Zara, but there's Camper, Samsonite, Cacharel, Levi's, etc....

Ooops! LiM had already mentioned it with a slightly different name. Anyway, for info. in English you can check:

www.valueretail.com/madrid.html
Posted by: v diaz

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/06/02 03:00 AM

There's another one apart of the Factory Las Rozas

At Getafe with new Nassica center (restaurants, cine cite cinemas...)

the link:
http://www.factory.es/

with IE6 doesn't work properly those menus at the bottom, click on Novedades and you'll be able to use them now.

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/06/02 01:07 PM

hey all!

Thanks a lot for all the input...it's makes bumbling around Madrid a little easier with all your information.

i haven't decided which to visit - Las Rozas or Getafe, but nonetheless, I've found out how to get to these 2 places and it makes the decision-making so much easier.

Thanks again you guys and gals...I really appreciate it!! Shopping, here I come!! laugh

Paddy

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/08/02 06:12 PM

Hi Paddy Wyn...

It has taken me a couple of days to get back to the board...but here I am.

I havenīt tracked down the buses to Factory. But the buses that go to Las Rozas Village are the interurbanos (green buses) numbers 625 and 628. You get either of these buses in Moncloa (take the Metro to Moncloa) and head to the intercambiador de autobuses (on the lower level). The buses depart from different "andenes" so you will have to check the red posts carefully for either of the routes. Generally they run every 15 to 20 mins.

Will look into Factory for you! wink
Posted by: pim

Re: Factory outlet in Madrid??? - 05/13/02 02:20 PM

It's "Lefties". I've only been there once, and yes, the prices are cheap, HOWEVER most of the stuff (more than 95%) has serious stains, holes and other flaws. My advice? Do not go there unless sowing and mending clothes are one of your habilities/hobbies.
Besides, Zara's regular brand new clothes are cheap to begin with! smile