Taxes: getting money back at the airport?

Posted by: kelar419

Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 03/17/03 04:16 AM

Well I finally bought my very own spanish guitar on saturday! When I bought it, the guitar maker gave me some forms to fill out about how to get some money (taxes) back at the airport when I fly home at the end of the semester? Can anybody explain to me how this works? He said I would have to do it in the Madrid airport- but I doubt I will have time, as I will only have 30 minutes between my 2 flights (Granada-Madrid, Madrid-Chicago). Anybody know if I can go about it another way, mail maybe once I am back in the states?? Thanks!
Kelly laugh
Posted by: sel

Re: Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 03/17/03 08:58 PM

There is a way to do it by mail. I will look for that information. I did my exchange in the C concourse. First you have to get an official stamp from one place and then you have to go to a second place to get your money. I just took my refund in Euros because it is faster and I know I will use them again in the future. I did 2 refunds and had to go to separate windows for each of the refunds after I had the documents stamped. Even with the extra stops, it only took 10 minutes. For you, 10 minutes may even be too long. You may need to at least get the stamp before you leave, but I really do not know.

Can you do this in Sevilla instead of Madrid? They do international flights as well.

Re: Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 03/17/03 08:59 PM

OOPs, you are leaving from Granada. I will look for those instructions......

Re: Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 03/17/03 09:38 PM

Did you get an envelope with your receipt? It can be used to mail the receipt in for a refund BUT it appears that you must get the receipt stamped in Madrid before you leave. The brochure shows one custom stamp office where you enter to go to gates on the A-B concourse, but there is a secret place on the C concourse after you have passed security. If you pass through this concourse, you might have time to get your stamp.
Posted by: timandmaria2

Re: Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 03/18/03 01:18 AM

How much did you pay for your guitar, if you don't mind my asking? Do you know where my father could buy a Rodriguez y Hijos brand name guitar? He played since the age of fifteen and now at seventy his original guitar finally gave out on him, and will purchase one in September of 2003 in Madrid.

Thanks
Posted by: kelar419

Re: Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 03/18/03 04:20 AM

Wow thanks for the great info Sel!!!! That really helps me out a lot. I am going to cross my fingers that my flight from Madrid-Chicago is delayed (and hey flying with IBERIA, that is a real possibility!)! smile

I shopped all over Granada (I seriously must have been to a zillion guitar makers), it was so fun!! Although my dad has played for over 25 years, I just started playing about a year ago, soooo I was looking for a decent sounding student performer level classical guitar, hand made of course!! I ended up with one from Germán Perez-Barranco (on Cuesta de Gomerez).

The guitar itself was about 275 euros, and the case (heavy duty airline travel case), another 40. There were handmade guitars I found in Granada for less than 150, and others that seriously cost as much as a car!!! I feel like I got a the best guitar possible for the money I had to spend. Happy Guitar shopping! laugh
Posted by: fishball

Re: Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 10/28/07 04:38 AM

Got to bring this up again as there isn't any new information...

I've read about getting the tax-free form from the shop of your purchase. BUT what if they tell you they have ran out of forms? As a tourist who can't speak Spanish, this means I'm literally cut off from getting any tax rebates even though I have the receipts and everything?

Wonder if the customs at the airport can help or if anyone can advise what to do in this case?

Gracias!
Posted by: Jamongris

Re: Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 10/29/07 01:13 PM

The situation re tax free shopping is quite simply that if the shop does not provide you with a form you are not going to be able to claim back the tax.

Furthermore it is up to the shop whether or not they want to run the scheme, they are not obliged to do so.

The reason for this is that shops are responsible for collecting the tax and then paying it to Mr Taxman. In order to pay it to the customer instead, they have to satisfy Mr Taxman that the goods have indeed left the EU in a reasonable amount of time and have to subsequently be able to produce this proof if requested, for a period of time which can last up to six years. This admin is enough to put off many shops, they have to weigh up how many tourist sales they will lose compared to the work that will be generated.

Should your purchases be posted overseas however, then the proof is in the postal certificate, and the admin is less. However, the tax you save will often be the same as the postage charge frown
Posted by: fishball

Re: Taxes: getting money back at the airport? - 10/31/07 09:29 AM

Hi Jamongris,

thanks for a very good understanding. Guess I can just save my effort in trying then. Just thought that if they have this scheme, why not try?