Groceries in central Madrid?

Posted by: el viajero

Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/16/03 11:56 AM

I assume the lovely supermarket in the basement of El Corte Inglés is not the "best bang for the buck" (or euro) for grocery shopping. Is that an accurate assessment? I usually assume - perhaps unfairly - that anything in El Corte Inglés can be had for less elsewhere, though that doesn't stop me from running in there several times a week. smile

I'll be staying just north of Gran Vía, near the Callao and Noviciado metro stops. What are the best places to buy food around there?
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/16/03 12:13 PM

I think it's worth a bit extra for the convenience. Although of course, you may want to have the experience and enjoyment of patronising smaller establishments too.

I could live in that department. It's like heaven to me. I learnt just about every bit of Spanish I have ever used in my life in there wink I just HAD to be able to ask for all those delicious items cool

Although the last time I was there, I had to be evacuated due to a bomb scare frown

Jo

Re: Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/16/03 12:30 PM

It is convenient, no question about that. And it smells wonderful!

The layout feels reassuringly familiar since I'm used to shopping in American supermarkets. Admittedly, though, I've never seen a U.S. supermarket where the olives department is bigger than the deli area.

I figured the prices might not be great because an inordinately high percentage of the customers I've heard there were talking English. Makes me suspect that the locals know better.

Come to think of it, last time I was there, in November, the people in front of me at the cash register were two very pleasant fiftysomething women from Yorkshire. That wasn't you, was it? smile
Posted by: pim

Re: Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/16/03 02:09 PM

Hey viajero!

If it's the 'monedero' you're concerned about, stay away from the Caprabo supermarkets, and specially Sanchez Romero (the most expensive ones, more than "El Corte"), reasonable priced are all the Champions(Carrefour group), and even better priced the AhorraMás ones; but the cheapest ones are the ones called Dia, and my recently discovered (and beloved smile ) Lidl chain.

www.caprabo.com
www.sanchez-romero.com
www.dia.es

(Couldn't find the other sites)
Posted by: miche_dup1

Re: Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/16/03 02:36 PM

el viajero,
Ewe can check Jo-Anne's photo of herself and her friend in her profile. Were the two people in front of you dressed in cashmere? :p only the best will do for this Yorkshire ewe. That's why she shops at El corte...
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/16/03 04:02 PM

Hey Miche,

Jo is certainly a good looking person. But has she changed a lot recently? Jo, this must be a new picture? laugh

Re: Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/16/03 08:48 PM

Quote:
Ewe can check Jo-Anne's photo of herself and her friend in her profile.
What a striking portrait! It leaves me feeling all warm and fuzzy. I must sheepishly admit they're not the same ladies I met at El Corte Inglés.

Quote:
easonable priced are all the Champions(Carrefour group), and even better priced the AhorraMás ones; but the cheapest ones are the ones called Dia, and my recently discovered (and beloved ) Lidl chain.
Thanks, pim! That's very useful... web sites and all!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/16/03 09:22 PM

pim is the greatest! It's true. Thanks for those websites.

It seems the [url=www.dia.es
]DIA[/url] groceries are in every little neighborhood including that of my ladyfriend. I love going in there and seeing all the ladies with their push/pull carts and getting their daily/weekly groceries.

DIA is a good place for cheap(er) groceries and I always buy chocolate and coffee there to take home to the USA. Mmmmm... Yum!

Maybe El Corte Inglés is the best option for your typical groceries in central/old Madrid. There are markets like El Mercado de San Gines but there you'll mainly get fresh fruit, vegetables, and seafood. Mmmm.. :p

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: miche_dup1

Re: Groceries in central Madrid? - 03/17/03 02:07 AM

Hiya Booklady,

Yes, Jo is very good looking, (the one looking inquisitively into the camera), but while we were both in Madrid last year she quickly developed a bit of an irritating habit of baaahing too much while eating..too much...always munching on something rolleyes She did leave a bit of grass in the gardens of Plaza Oriente after our late night snack and star pondering. I think it's the effect Madrid has on her and the shock of finding out she can ,most mysteriously, ACTUALLY speak Spanish,(when it comes to food).
However, I'm a bit concerned about the woolley obsession thing baaahaha

Saludos,
Miche(the other ewe in the corner looking away despondently)