Saffron

Posted by: Peg

Saffron - 06/29/01 06:39 PM

Hi, I am coming to Spain next Wed July 4, I can't wait, I love the info about olive oil and am planning to bring some back, but I would also like to get some saffron, I only want the real stuff, does any one have a clue as to where I might get some. I'll be traveling from Madrid to Salananca(pick up car) then to Sevilla, Grananda and Back to Madrid. My daughter is studying in Salananca for 3 weeks and loves it, says she is not coming home!! Thanks Peg
Almost on my way!!!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Saffron - 07/01/01 04:56 PM

Hi Peg!! I just searched the message board here (using the SEARCH link above/right) and you might find the long " saffron(?) " thread useful, particularly real_megia's posting.

But really, you should be able to walk into any grocery store and buy saffron so no fear for not finding it - at least in Madrid. laugh

Please let us know after returning where/what you finally found with regards to the saffron and olive oil. WE WANT TO KNOW! wink Have a GREAT time in Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: josie

Re: Saffron - 07/01/01 10:54 PM

I brought saffron back to my relatives who enjoy cooking, and I bought it in the grocery store. I had seen it displayed for sale near the cathedral in Granada, but I was sure that they would be charging turista prices there, so I asked the senora in charge at my hostal (Nuevas Naciones, www.granadainfo.com/nuevas/granadahostal.htm ) where to buy it, and she directed me to a store nearby. At this store the azafran came in cute little plastic boxes, 250 mg. for around 200 ptas. Easy to transport home, and gratefully received by my cooking relatives.

[ 07-15-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: cantabene

Re: Saffron - 07/14/01 03:46 PM

Josie, you overpaid. Let's call 200 ptas, in round numbers, a dollar. 250 milligrams is a quarter of a gram. At 4 dollars a gram, it cost you about $112 an ounce. You can buy an ounce of quality saffron right here in the USA, on the internet, for less than half of that.
Hope this helps.
Cantabene