VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?)

Posted by: marval96

VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/20/01 04:26 PM

First of all, forgive my negative outlook on this matter but last time we went to Spain (June, 1998) we were informed about the "refund" we would get at the "airport" of all our purchases, of over certain amounts,as long as we had all the receipts and had all proper documentation from the place of purchase.
WE DID ALL THAT...As matter of fact it was a real pain to do purchases and go to the customer service..wait..wait, and more wait to finally get all the receipts with their proper stamps and store validations.
We made a lot of purchases, at least $1,500.00 (US Dollars).
We finally got to the airport to depart for the US and it was impossible to find any kind of directions to "where to go" in order to process our receipts. There were no signs,
no help. I speak the language (my mother is from Asturias) and I asked clerks (looked at me like I was crazy). Finally (ready to do the trash can routine) someone sugested to put it in a mail box, which I did...and left the country.
About 4 weeks later...get a letter informing us that "we deposited the envelope in the wrong place" and due to this fact we would be
unnable to receive our VAT refund!!!
Oh well!!! so much for that. Now we are ready to do it again. I have no idea if things have improved and I have done searches
here with no much information about how it's done or how to get a refund.
Hey, it's not really a big deal but it's the principal of the thing that kind of bothers me. You go collecting stamps for 4 weeks and have your wife demanding you go here and go there (yes, dear, you answer) and at the last minute...NO CIGAR!!
Can anyone help?
By the way we are talking about Barajas Airport!! Thanks a million and...we still
LOVE SPAIN!!!! wink

[ 05-20-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: nevado

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/20/01 05:57 PM

Okay, let's see if I can explain this properly...once you go through the control for ticket holders, turn right. It's alongside the wall on the right, opposite the large Duty Free shop. It's a walk up window that displays the tax refund logo.
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/20/01 07:19 PM

Actually, I was just there in April, and if you go thru passport control in the center area, it will be to your left, kind of tucked in a corner, but MUCH better signed and known of than back in 98. (It's almost as if you'll be doing a U-turn to your left to get to this place, it's a small window.) THEN if you'll be receiving the money right then and there, you go across the isle to the other area marked VAT, and they'll give you your money. If you'll be receiving money later (like on your credit card froM El Corte Ingles), there's a mailbox right in front of the first window.

Buena suerte!!

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/20/01 08:32 PM

Thank you for your responses.
This time I will FIND it!!I liked the comment
"small window" I will be looking for it.
I was talking to my wife (she is the bookeeper of the family budget) and she informed me that it was about $400.00 we kind of gave up over there, back in 98, so I guess she must of spent a lot more than the $1,000.00 I thought we spent! Oh, well!
Thanks again, val eek
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/21/01 08:12 PM

I never got my refund. It should have been for shoes I purchased in the UK, then my final point of departure was Düsseldorf in Germany, I had the paperwork, gave it to the correct man, and... nothing. Perhaps this coming trip to Spain I can take advantage of the newly well-marked place in Barajas!

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/22/01 07:26 AM

I certainly hope we can, Majesty, (now that we know where the "small window" is located).
Assured with this new information, my wife is presently "planning her shopping strategies" in FULL FORCE !!!
Corte Ingles....here we Gooo!!!
Whatever happens we are getting very excited about our upcoming trip to this great part of the world!! Regards to all...Val rolleyes
Posted by: caminante

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/22/01 09:16 AM

We got our VAT refund this past December, getting the customs stamp in the Barcelona airport. They paid us cash (US$) for one of the receipts and stamped the other ones. We mailed them from the US and the refund arrived on our credit card a few months later.

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/22/01 09:21 AM

Great news Caminante. Thanks for the encourement!!! After these few posts here I feel more confident already!!
I noticed my wife was "polishing" all credit cards befor going to Madrid. I guess she wants them to "shine" when we get there!
Oh, Boy!! frown
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/24/01 11:05 AM

I've known about the VAT for years, but have never pursued it, even when making qualifying purchased. At a time like this, when the exchange is so dollar-friendly, I just take my lumps and leave happy. I wouldn't want to spoil a perfect trip to Spain over what eventually works out to a few dollars on most purchases wink.

For me, it's better to just enjoy the trip, the souvenirs, and the memories. smile
Posted by: Sofia

Re: VAT taxes...rip off!! (Refund at Barajas Airport?) - 05/24/01 01:01 PM

The tax refund office at Barajas is next to the security control entrance to the gates. Once the aduana stamps the paperwork you drop it in a mailbox that is right there near the window. I have only gotten refunds from El Corte Ingles shopping. They always came through without a problem.

I had read about this but only learned to do it because once we were on an organized tour and the tour guide walked us through each step along the way.
http://www.geocities.com/srasofia/fiesta.html

PS: Today I am showing a WILD WEB show that I taped from TV a year ago in which MadridMan was featured at Bar Brillante... showed it to high school freshmen.