Buying those really important necessities! (Madrid)

Posted by: Jo-Anne

Buying those really important necessities! (Madrid) - 01/25/01 05:53 PM

Last time in MADRID, we stayed near El Corte Ingles and stocked up there with all the stuff we wanted to take home as it was easy and convenient.

Where would anyone recommend that we do our shopping next time we come - for stuff like jamon serrano, gin, wine, etc etc. It's not that we want to buy loads!

Don't know where we will be staying on our last night, but does anyone know how the prices compare in the surrounding areas of Madrid to those in the centre? What about the ordinary supermarkets?

Don't want to leave it until we get to the airport as I thought prices were very high there.

Jo-Anne

[This message has been edited by Jo-Anne (edited 01-25-2001).]
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Buying those really important necessities! (Madrid) - 01/26/01 03:37 AM

I usually buy fresh food like jamon serrano in markets, but maybe if you want it wrapped in plastic could be better in a supermarket.
It's very difficult to answer your question because usually I buy these things, so I can know how expensive they are in a particular shop. I think the best thing is to ask people around or in your hotel which is the best place to buy what you want, because each one knows his neighbourhood and a trip to a different neighbourhood doesn't worth for a small buying. It would be good if you get some propaganda from a supermarket to look some prices, I guess you know there are very different kinds of jamon and wine.
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Buying those really important necessities! (Madrid) - 01/26/01 09:27 AM

Thanks Miguelito

I'm not bothered about stuff being wrapped too well as we will have things with us from our self-catering holiday, such as plastic food containers/sandwich boxes etc etc.

We are probably not spending our last night in Madrid as we are travelling down from Cantabria, that's why I was asking about supermarkets. We'll probalby be staying somewhere in the surrounding area.

Would you say that the prices in markets are significatly cheaper that Supermarkets?

Thanks for all your help - lucky you being able to get these things as a matter of everyday life! We can get jamon serrano in the supermarkets here, but we don't because it is so so expensive.

Do you actually live in Madrid?

Jo-Anne

[This message has been edited by Jo-Anne (edited 01-26-2001).]
Posted by: mclarke

Re: Buying those really important necessities! (Madrid) - 01/26/01 12:29 PM

Jo-Anne

When I was in Spain last Dec. 29-Jan. 15, 2001, I bought my taste of Spain goodies from the following:

Jamon Serrano or Iberico - Museo de Jamon
Queso de Bola - Museo de Jamon
Sherry or Rioja - any cities in Spain would have them. Because my last two days were in Madrid, I bought most of my Spain goodies in Madrid. El Cortes Ingles' prices are higher compared to neigborhood stores. For example, the Canasta sherry, El Cortes Ingles was higher by 200 pesetas.
Empanadas/Bakery goods - In Arguelles Area, there is really a good bakery store.
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Buying those really important necessities! (Madrid) - 01/29/01 03:14 AM

Yes, I live in Madrid; actually, I'm madrileņo.
The thing between markets and supermarkets is really difficult, you cannot say something general, for example, big chains like Alcampo or Carrefour usually have some kind of sale for a particular product which usually is very cheap, but when you want to buy something different from the sale, there is not such differences between a supermarket and a good market or shop and you get better quality and treating(maybe they can let you taste before buying to choose better). There are also shops and markets that are more expensive, that's why you should ask before.
Madrid doesn't have to be cheaper for general stuff than other towns, it is even more expensive sometimes as taxes are bigger, prices of locals.... It depends on the place and the product, I think that places like Palencia, Burgos,... will be a little bit cheaper if you go out of the turistic area, but I don't really know.

Sorry I forgot, sorrounding areas to Madrid like Alcobendas, Mostoles, Barajas, etc.. have different prices depending how powerful is people in that neibourghood, but I think also quality depends. Anyway, people from that area buy there, so prices differences must be such that going to buy to a different neighbourhood doesn't worth. Maybe, like Mclarke says, 200 pesetas in a sherry bottle...

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 01-29-2001).]