VAT

Posted by: Xena

VAT - 11/01/00 03:42 AM

Please tell me how can I take my VAT back? I mean there are conditions like spending a certain sum of money in a single day in a single shop and after that can I take the VAT back at the airport if I have a proof from this shop (like in France)?
Posted by: Puna

Re: VAT - 11/01/00 04:37 PM

I am not sure of the exact amount you need to spend in one shop to qualify for the tax break (VAT) - that is something you can check on-line with the equivilant to the Spanish Visitors Bureau. The way it works - first make sure the store participates in the program - i.e. that they have the necessary forms, etc. You must spend the full amount to qualify for the rebate - then the store will fill in the forms (in triplicate I'm sure). This rebate is something you can qualify for moe than once - it is the amount spent in the store (to the best of my knowledge - if I'm wrong gang - please correct!!!)

You cash in your copies at the airport - AFTER you have been exited from Spain and are in the duty free section of the airport prior to boarding a departing flight.
Posted by: nevado

Re: VAT - 11/03/00 06:24 AM

You need to spend 15.000 pts. in the same store or chain (you can combine various reciepts from different days of shopping). They must be purchases within 3 months of arrival (so if you are a non-european and live there, you can't do it unless you are leaving in three months). You must redeem you VAT documents in the last airport in the EC. Make sure you have the items with you and haven't checked them in for connecting flights. They don't go through EVERYTHING but you'll need to have some things to show them (keep the tags on clothes and price stickers on other things). If you don't have much time between connecting flights (if you have a connection) you can always pick up an envelope and mail it from home- but you must get it stamped. Without the stamp you're out of luck.

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: nevado ]
Posted by: Xena

Re: VAT - 11/16/00 04:38 AM

I took it back on my way home from the airport. Anyway, when you are shopping you must take your passport with you so they could fill up the forms for that you can have your VAT returned at the airport.
I found some indications about that on a brochure(sorry! I don't know the spelling) in El Corte Ingles.
Posted by: hsilcox

Re: VAT - 10/29/01 12:16 PM

Just a reminder: the VAT refund applies only to ITEMS you purchased and are taking out of Spain. It DOES NOT apply to SERVICES you consumed while in Spain (hotel bills, car rental, etc.).
Posted by: zero262quick

Re: VAT - 10/30/01 06:02 PM

I bought a sword in Toledo during the summer for about 20.000 pts, they even filled out the refund form and I simply got it stamped at the airport, then mailed it in from home. I recently received my refund check!