buy groceries (Madrid)

Posted by: ilanit

buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/18/00 12:18 PM

Hola,

I´m in madrid now for a few months.
I´m looking for:
1. supermarket by the name of: "Día" or "% Día"

2. natural stores, to by some organic food, products for vegeterians.

I live in c/Alberto Aguilera, near san bernardo metro station.
I would apreciate if someone writes me names and adresses. Thanks a lot, Ilanit.
Posted by: rgf

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/18/00 02:58 PM

Ilanit, hi, tell us how it is going! You were interesting in vegetarian and/or kosher food in Spain, right? How did you find a place to live, what do you think of Madrid... we want to know! Wish i had info on that store-- hopefully Antonio the source of all knowledge will answer you!
Posted by: Antonio

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/18/00 05:23 PM

There are many Dia shops in Madrid (Dia % is their logo). Dia stands for "Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentos" (ie, International Food Delivery). They have branches in a few countries in Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Greece) and also in Argentina.

In Spain, Dia usually offer the cheapest prices. Although Dia products don't have good quality / reputation, you may also buy well-known brands there.

The nearest Dia shop to your area is at San Bernardo (near to the corner of calle Montserrat).

As for organic shops, there aren't many in Madrid and I don't know any address.

Regards,

Antonio

PS: Thanks rgf for your compliments.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com
Posted by: ilanit

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/19/00 03:04 PM

Hola,

Thanks a lot rgf and Antonio- you´ve been a great help.
As for my life in Madrid- right now I live in school dormitories, I don´t know yet what shell I do after that.
I can´t share with you many happy things right now, because I´m having now a "missing home" time- it takes some time to get used to a new place.
Hope to feel better and share with you some happy experiences.
Ilanit.
Posted by: mclarke

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/19/00 03:14 PM

Ilanit,

Welcome to Madrid. What you are feeling is natural. My daughter is in Madrid right now. When she arrived last August, she was missing the U.S.A. a lot! She complained about the food and new rules like no long showers; only one phone call a day. Making appointments to use the internet at her school, long walks, heavy meals and so on. After a month or two adjusting in Madrid, most of the messages she sends via e-mail are all happy things she has been doing in Madrid. Make an extra effort to meet Spanish students at your school. Go out with them and learn from them about Spain and their culture. I hope the next time, I read your messages it would be happy messages. Take care.
Posted by: Guynes

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/20/00 10:35 AM

I know you didn't ask about it, but I thought you might be interested in a good vegetarian restaurant in Madrid. It's called the Bioteca (I believe the spelling is correct, but if not, it's close). They serve microbiotic vegetarian menus every day for a very reasonable price. There's also a small grocery in the front(something you were interested in). YOu can get fresh whole wheat bread (called integral in Spain) and a variety of other whole goods that are very hard to find in Madrid.

Unfortunately, I don't have the address with me, so here's general directions. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try to get the actual address. It's in Huertas, one block off of Calle de las Huertas towards Atocha. Walk away from Paseo del Prado on Calle de Huertas and go about 5 blocks past Hostal Lopez. Take a left and it's on the corner of the next intersection. If it's not 5 blocks up, try 4 or 6, but it's right there somewhere.

Here's another way, but I don't know the street name. Begin walking away from Paseo del Prado on C. de Moratin, after two blocks, a road goes off to the right at an angle(this is the street that I don't know the name of). Just walk up this street until you see the restaurant on the corner on your right. The street dead ends into a cross street, so if you get to the end of it, go back until you find the restaurant/store.

Good luck and enjoy!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/20/00 04:09 PM

Hi ilanit! So you've been in Madrid a few months, eh? Good for you. By now, you've probably made many many friends and know a few of your neighbors. I would bet that if you asked a few of them they could probably tell where to locate the stores you seek in your area. Best of luck!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: nevado

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/27/00 10:53 PM

There are a couple of natural stores in Malasana. If you walk past VIPS on Fuencarral (toward Tribunal) there's one on the second street past the church to your right. Sorry, I forgot the name of the street.
Posted by: Castiza

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/28/00 08:26 AM

You can always try El Corte Ingles' supermarket. It's very close to where you live, in Alberto Aguilera.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: buy groceries (Madrid) - 10/28/00 02:05 PM

nevado,

According to your directions the street seems to be "calle de la Palma".

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com