stuff for a student

Posted by: jdonlanl

stuff for a student - 08/10/00 07:19 PM

I am going to be studying at UCM this year. I know that I will need little things like blankets, pillows, toiletries.... I have not been to Spain before but I know that in Italy, it is not common to have big department stores. I would like to know if there are stores that are similar to K-mart or Wal-mart or something in Madrid.

thx
Jenny
Posted by: missmadrid98

Re: stuff for a student - 08/10/00 07:56 PM

3 words EL CORTE INGLES!!!!!!!!!!! that is a wal mart, kmart, sears, target, tower records, etc....... combined!!! you could buy everything their except a giraffe!! go there. there is one in sol and there are 2 more in madrid but you know i don't know where they are but i am SURE that people in this messageboard will surely know!! hope i helped!!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: stuff for a student - 08/11/00 08:29 AM

You'll get LOTS of info from reading the Food/Grocery Shopping thread even though you're not asking about food. On the outskirts there are several all-in-one SUPERmarkets that sell clothing, sheets, just like a Meijer or Wal-Mart here in the USA. If you go to the El Corte Inglés to buy everything you'll likely pay about 30-40% more, but at least you won't have to drive there like you will to the outskirts as I don't believe the metro goes out to Alcampo, Pryca, or Continente. I could be wrong though. Last year I bought a pair of camper shorts at Alcampo, near Móstoles (near Madrid) for about $18 and they're my favorite pair of shorts to this day! (in part because I KNOW they're from Madrid)

Saludos, MadridMan

[Follow-Up] But I urge you to buy your food-items at your local markets to help maintain the economy and livelihood of your neighborhood.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-11-2000).]
Posted by: Diana

Re: stuff for a student - 08/11/00 12:09 PM

Hi!

Sounds like you'll be in the Ciudad Universitaria section of the city. Here are some ideas.

El Corte Ingles does have everything. There's one right on the calle Princesa, corner of Alberto Aguilera, metro Argüelles, close to the university. Just across Alberto Aguilera from the Corte Ingles is a store that sells linens.It's right on the corner. It's been there a LONG time. Has very Spanish stuff. More on that later.The really huge Corte Ingles (and my favorite) is on the Paseo de la Castellana, corner Raimundo Fernandez Villaverde, metro Nuevos Ministerios. It's worth going there just for the experience.

For a cheaper place, try Alcampo in the Centro Comercial La Vaguada, aka Madrid 2, at metro station [Barrio del Pilar (line 9)]. They also sell everything, and they're cheaper than el Corte Ingles - more like KMart.

There used to be a store in La Vaguada (it's a mall) called Descamps. They sell the best quality linens I could find in Spain. Of course, they are more expensive.

A word about linens: cheap sheets made in Spain are awful. They pill up within two days. They actually hurt! I ended up buying all the sheets I needed for my family in the States on vacations. It's much cheaper than paying top dollar for expensive sheets that won't pill in el Corte Ingles. They don't take up much space in a suitcase, and you can still buy pillows, towels, and blankets there. The bed sizes are slightly different there. Twin size will be a tiny bit bigger than the single beds, and you'll need queen size sheets for the 2-person matrimonio size beds, and they (the sheets) are a tiny bit bigger, too.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

[Diana, I have corrected a mistake about the subway to La Vaguada]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 08-11-2000).]
Posted by: Antonio

Re: stuff for a student - 08/13/00 11:21 AM

jdonlanl,

Try "El Universo del Hogar" at calle Toledo. It is close to Plaza Mayor and Champion (formerly Simago).

Madridman,

Metro does go to Alcampo (Barrio del Pilar at La Vaguada / Portazgo at Vallecas / ...) and Carrefour (formerly Continente) (Aluche station).

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com
Posted by: kk49827

Re: stuff for a student - 08/14/00 12:36 PM

I have to agree with Diana. I think I went to all of the Cortes Ingles stores in Madrid, and my favorite would have to be the one near Nuevos Ministerios. It's very unique. The area around there has lots of places to do more shopping and other things. There's even a Centro Commercial further north that has many stores to shop in.

Good luck with your studies.