Where to buy Albarino wine in the US?

Posted by: teachertraveler8

Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/15/10 12:46 PM

Does anyone know of any nationwide retailers (like Costco) that sell albarino wine? I found it at Trader Joe's, but it is sparkling. I'd like to try the "real" thing.
Posted by: Puna

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/15/10 01:07 PM

TJ's does have two Albarinos but, like most places, only carry it in summer. Actually, it's quite good and like so much else at TJ - resonably priced!
Posted by: laduque

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/15/10 04:32 PM

I get ours at Bev MO! Right now they are having there buy one get one for 5 cents. They had a really good albarino for 15 bucks and then I got the second bottle for 5 cents. GReat deal and it was yummy!
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/16/10 07:15 AM

in my love for wines, met these folks there are in Seattle,WA and they can help, hubby American, wife is Spanish ,former Spain tourist council member.
http://www.classicalwines.com/
they have, but sell direct to stores, however, if ask they can help refer you to one in your area, they import Albariņos and well wines from Spain.

hope it helps
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/16/10 08:58 AM

I found / bought off the 'Clearance' rack several bottles of Albarinho at a Roger Wilco store in N.J.

The best Albarinhos are Domino de origin in the Minho valley; you can get an adequate Portuguese substitute called Ribeiro that comes from the North Bank of Rio Minho.
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/16/10 12:23 PM

Eddie ... arenīt we talking about the famous Spanish Albariņo ? Albarinho is defintely a Portuguese word ...And Ribeiro ( a great style of wine ) is not Portuguese but from Galicia in Northern Spain .
Feel free to correct me on this anybody .

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/16/10 01:22 PM

Ladaque - maybe we should all come to San Diego! That'sa great deal!
Posted by: la historiadora

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/17/10 10:02 PM

teachertraveler8, I'm sure if you asked at your favorite local wine/liquor store (especially a nicer one that has a wide variety of wines and spirits from all over), the employees could find it for you and/or make a special order for you. There is a website that helps one look for specific wine in a specific state called www.wine-searcher.com. According to a quick search I did, you can definitely find albarino at a store called Village Corner in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

If worse comes to worse, you can certainly find it the next time you come to Chicago as there is a large local chain called Binny's (www.binnys.com) that carries it as well as many other Spanish wines.

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/18/10 10:22 AM

Thanks, everyone and especially la historiadora for looking in Michigan. I will check with the wine stores. I was just hoping that I could find Albarino at the grocery store as easily as Rioja.

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/20/10 04:25 PM

Found some albarino at Plum Market. It is La Cana brand. I will try it this weekend.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/21/10 06:03 PM

Congratulations, teachertraveler8! Never heard of La Cana brand but there are so many out there. Hope you accompany it with some "mejillones", "berberechos", and other seafood.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/22/10 06:47 PM

I am officially a fan of Albarino.

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/23/10 05:27 AM

Good to hear it - although I'm completely not surprised. How could one NOT like Albariņo?? huh

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Jim Costello

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/26/10 12:08 PM

Que tal, Please tell me if Albarino wine is white, red or both. Thank you.
Saludos

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/26/10 01:13 PM

White
Posted by: admiral44

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/28/10 10:21 AM

Sadly, I live in Pennsylvania where the government owns the wine and liquor stores. Pathetic. I have to venture to New Jersey or New York for a decent selection. Martin Codax is one of my favorite Albarino. During our recent trip to Spain, my wife and I consumed copious quanitities of all mannor of Albarino and verdejo not to mention a very nice white Rioja. Can't wait to get back.

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/29/10 04:02 AM

Surely one can buy Albariņo white wine at Trader Joe's or even, maybe, at Sam's Club, no? I remember being shocked to find Manchego Cheese at a Sam's Club in Columbus, Ohio - but didn't buy it because it was VERY expensive for a small piece.

And, while it'll cost you, I know one can ORDER the white wine (as well as Red, Rosado, Sangria, Sherry, Cava, etcetera)through Tienda.com where they have no less than 4 brands. Surprisingly, at least to me, their cheapest Albariņo at $18.50 (or 13.30€) is not far off from the cheapest Albariņo wine here in Madrid. But, of course, through online companies you also pay shipping costs.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/29/10 08:31 AM

yes very good Galician wines the Albariņos, and Martin Codax is one of my favorites that I buy at local Spanish stores here in Paris own by Spaniards.
you can learn all about it here, I always went to the Miami event when in Florida, matching with all the Spanish restos there. They do it NYC, all under the commercial office of Spain in NYC.
http://www.riasbaixaswines.com/faq.php

Re: Where to buy Albarino wine in the US? - 10/29/10 12:18 PM

Admiral44 - If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they carry a couple of Albarino labels - can't recall which ones but I've tried both and been happy. Like everything else with TJ's - prices are unbeatable. Albarinos are seasonal with TJ's - summer only ....