Spanish Pottery in Madrid

Posted by: Katha

Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/08/10 03:29 PM

Hi, all,

Can anyone recommend a place in Madrid to purchase Spanish pottery, the type that is painted with designs, usually flowers. Sometimes, it is white and blue or other colors. I have a friend who would like an olive dish, a serving plate and some other items.

Thanks in advance!
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/08/10 04:02 PM

Try the tourist section of El Corte Ingles on Preciados. I've seen them there.
Posted by: Kipper

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/08/10 05:32 PM

How about Plaza Mayor, there are several stores there...
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/09/10 08:01 AM

I don´t think a lot of pottery is produced in the Madrid region . Most pottery that I see comes from Andalucía .. Sevilla , Granada etc... . There is a souvenir shop on the corner of the Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo .. A short walk from El Prado that has quite a good selection . I actually bought a couple of olive dishes in a cheap store .. Just in very rustic brown and yellow ochre and "Rdo de Madrid" on the side ( touristy but not over the top ) . They have 2 small jars integrated into the dish ... One for "huesos" ( the stones ) , and the other for cocktail sticks . I think they´re great . €2.95 each !
Posted by: Crisco

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/09/10 08:32 PM

If you want the real thingthen go to the shop run by brother & sister(both up in age).It's near the metro Santo domingo at Isabel la Católica, 2.The outside of the shop is amazing -covered with wonderful tile work.There is so much stuff in there ,be prepared to spend some time as you are led from room to room.You need to ring the bell to go.

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/10/10 09:06 AM

Oh oh oh !! How many times , Crisco , have I been down that way but never noticed it ! Definitely will be visiting ! Thanks !
Posted by: Katha

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/11/10 08:40 AM

Hi, Crisco,

I do want the real thing! Thanks for your recommendation. I will be stopping by there and let your brother and sister that you recommended them.

As always, the MM community ROCKS!

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/11/10 09:24 AM

I don´t think it´s his brother and sister katha ... Maybe I´m wrong ? Crisco ?
Posted by: Crisco

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/11/10 02:08 PM

No, not MY brother/sister! It's such a strange place-she will take you from room to room turning the lights on/off.When it comes to paying, the brother takes care of that part!I have never seen so much stuff packed in a shop!Quite an experience!
Posted by: laduque

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/12/10 12:20 AM

I have always gone to a "booth" at the Rastro on Sundays. The family has been there for over 11 years (at least) and offer a large variety of designs on plates, vases, dishes, bowls, pitchers, you name it, they have it. Most of their ceramics are from Talavera. And if you buy a few things, they do bargain/negotiate!
If you walk straight up from the end of Calle de Ribera de Curtidores (the main street) the "booth" is on the left side.

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/12/10 07:00 AM

Laduque , you say "up" .. so that´s not from the La Latina Metro end that most people go to the Rastro as you´d be travelling "down" C/de Ribera de Cirtidores . So iassume that´s from metro "Embajadores" or something like that .
P.s. Did you see the thread about churros ? Asking for you to remember the name of a bar we went to with MM last time you were over .
Posted by: laduque

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/12/10 08:29 PM

Yes, you are correct, I meant "up" from Embajadores just off the Puerto de Toledo. Mis suegros live "down" from there so I always walk "up" to the rastro.

p.s. I will check the other thread.
Posted by: MedicalMan

Re: Spanish Pottery in Madrid - 01/18/10 04:50 AM

A short drive from Madrid is a town called El Puente near Toledo. They have anything and everything in Spanish Pottery you could want